DCS
Falcon BMS
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 12:35:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 12:37:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Damn "free to play".

Nearly all dlc half off and it costs $1,254, not to mention hardware.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/4/2020 12:40:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Damn "free to play".

Nearly all dlc half off and it costs $1,254, not to mention hardware.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433230/1_png-1489085.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433230/2_png-1489087.JPG

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

now do the cockpits and flight controls

Link Posted: 7/4/2020 12:41:23 AM EDT
[#9]
MicroProse F-15 Strike Eagle circa 1986.
Atari 800 Game: F-15 Strike Eagle (1984 Microprose)
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 12:41:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Stop using acronyms
View Quote

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/

The aircraft are pricey. But it's realistic.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 12:46:18 AM EDT
[#11]
DCS is the only answer.

The free SU25 is good enough to get your feet wet with.

Get the F-18 if you want a semi modern experience that is very combat effective, or get the F-14 if you want something that has a more manual feel to it and takes a lot more flying skill.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 12:48:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

True.

Also, go to DCS. The Steam modules aren't compatible.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 12:49:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 12:51:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 12:53:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Flight Gear.  Very realistic flying. I know they have some WW2 planes, but unsure about combat.

If not, it is Free/Open software so you can make it have combat if you want.

Link Posted: 7/4/2020 1:01:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have a cad over-spec PC, so I have the hardware.

I don't plan on really getting into it, just something here and there when I need stress relief. What are the basic costs of this "free to play" DSC? Looks like you buy your plane and then a campaign or two?
View Quote

Maybe Arma is more to what you want to do?
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 1:07:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 1:09:11 AM EDT
[#18]
DCS is the answer as previously said. Pick one or two aircraft to start with because you’re going to have to spend some time learning how to operate it and especially the weapons systems depending on how modern you want to go.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 1:20:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 1:30:32 AM EDT
[#20]
IL-2 Sturmovik: Great Battles is a little more cost-effective. Limited to WW2 vehicles though:

https://il2sturmovik.com
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 1:38:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
IL-2 Sturmovik: Great Battles is a little more cost-effective. Limited to WW2 vehicles though:

https://il2sturmovik.com
View Quote

Came to post this.
Not as in depth as DCS, but really great flight modeling and awesome MP community
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 3:05:52 AM EDT
[#22]
I love dcs. Have most of the modules and maps but the jf-17, new channel map, c101, christian eagle. I will eventually get the channel map and the jf-17. If you dont want to take the time to learn the advanced modules you can always do the fc3 aircraft. Dtill feel good but much easier to learn.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 3:14:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
DCS
View Quote

DCS is bullshit.  It's unnecessarily complicated for what it is, control-wise and it's just simply not that much fun.
I've got a complete, sit down cockpit in my "man cave" and DCS is just shitty.

What you need is Ace Combat 7.  You get the shooty-shoots in, upgrading planes/buying planes with in-game rewards, etc.
Fuck..you want to fly another plane on DCS?  You're PAYING REAL MONEY for each decent plane that you want to fly.
The controls are not complicated and you'll have a lot of fun.

Link Posted: 7/4/2020 3:18:15 AM EDT
[#24]
I would love to try DCS but don't have the rig.  BMS is all I can fly currently as my old sims won't run on Win10  I have watched many DCS vids, and while the graphics are killer, some systems seem simplified or less complete than BMS (specifically the F-16).

Get a HOTAS of some sort.  I'm still using my old Cougar, with many mods/repairs, ie Hall Effect sensors.  Homemade TrackIR.  I'm a cheap bastard.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 3:27:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
DCS
View Quote

The Heatblur F-14 is amazing.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 3:35:15 PM EDT
[#26]
IMO Falcon BMS is a better experience than DCS, although it's graphically dated and limited to the F-16 (you can fly other aircraft but they all have F-16 avionics).  Falcon's dynamic real time campaign is what has people still playing it over 20 years since release.  And you get to bomb best Korea

https://www.benchmarksims.org/forum/content.php
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 3:41:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Let me get you started.

https://viperwing.com

Link Posted: 7/4/2020 3:43:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Which one supports VR?
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Which one supports VR?
View Quote

DCS definitely does.  I can’t answer about the rest.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 3:51:21 PM EDT
[#30]
DCS.

But I ordered the F-35.  Then I couldn't download it because it wasn't ready.  They said to try back in a month.  A month later they said it wasn't ready yet but for another $20 it would be ready next month for sure.  This went on for a few months, each time i sunk in $20.  Finally I was able to download a copy.  But half the weapons were not available.  That cost another $20 and several months.  Then I find out the version I bought was not combat capable, WTF?  So for another $20 and another few months waiting I got the combat capable version.  Now it seems to work.  But it only runs about half the time.  It was initially $35, but I've sunk about $8,700 into it.  UGH.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 3:54:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
MicroProse F-15 Strike Eagle circa 1986. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC0FPKCSWhM
View Quote

Actually this is the sneak preview of the upcoming razbam f15e...

And OP stay well clear of the harrier, m2000, and mig 19. Turd world quality for first world prices. The gazelle is shit too.

F18 is probably the best thing currenly going for modern bit its half done, f14 for a lil older school and mostly done. Jf17 Mig21 or viggen if you want something different.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 3:56:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 4:03:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
DCS.

But I ordered the F-35.  Then I couldn't download it because it wasn't ready.  They said to try back in a month.  A month later they said it wasn't ready yet but for another $20 it would be ready next month for sure.  This went on for a few months, each time i sunk in $20.  Finally I was able to download a copy.  But half the weapons were not available.  That cost another $20 and several months.  Then I find out the version I bought was not combat capable, WTF?  So for another $20 and another few months waiting I got the combat capable version.  Now it seems to work.  But it only runs about half the time.  It was initially $35, but I've sunk about $8,700 into it.  UGH.
View Quote

You sure you didn't accidentally get allowed to sign up to buy a real one?
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 4:05:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

DCS has a somewhat steep learning curve for the modern full fidelity aircraft. All the switches and levers, etc are modeled after the real aircraft, as well as the systems and subsystems, at least to the extent that they can be on the computer. Some people may be overwhelmed/frustrated by it.

It's an awesome game but it may not be for you if you aren't willing to learn everything about the airplane.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a cad over-spec PC, so I have the hardware.

I don't plan on really getting into it, just something here and there when I need stress relief. What are the basic costs of this "free to play" DSC? Looks like you buy your plane and then a campaign or two?

DCS has a somewhat steep learning curve for the modern full fidelity aircraft. All the switches and levers, etc are modeled after the real aircraft, as well as the systems and subsystems, at least to the extent that they can be on the computer. Some people may be overwhelmed/frustrated by it.

It's an awesome game but it may not be for you if you aren't willing to learn everything about the airplane.

You can fly the flaming cliffs aircraft without worrying about most of that stuff, and most of the high fidelity sims also have a game mode that removes most of that complexity.

The FC3 F15 is ok to fly if you just want to fuck around.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 4:06:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I've been flying the turkey a lot, She's a bit intimidating at first because you can pull the wings off, but once you get the hang of it, it's a monster.

Easily the best module of the game. I hope they do a D model someday, or maybe the sparrowhawk hud for the B model. The lack of a useable hud is the only downside to the entire aircraft IMHO.
View Quote

I have maybe two hours driving the Cat.  I love playing RIO with a friend of mine.
Top Top