Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2022 10:32:40 AM EDT
I'll be attending a seminar in Williamsport, PA in a couple of weeks.  Flying into State College, and renting a car from there.

What's the area like?  Anything to see or avoid?  Good restaurants?  Crime (violent Amish in the area)?

Also (and I'll be looking this up myself as well) are TX and FL carry licenses reciprocated?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:35:10 AM EDT
[#1]
You're good with either a FL or TX resident permit.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Lots of baseball stuff (it's the home of the Little League World Series). EuroOptic is also worth a visit if you've got the time.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:38:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice time of year to be there. I am not sure what there is to do. Do you have resident carry permits?  PA seems finicky about reciprocity for non-resident permits.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:43:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice time of year to be there. I am not sure what there is to do. Do you have resident carry permits?  PA seems finicky about reciprocity for non-resident permits.
View Quote

Resident TX permit, non-res FL permit.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:44:31 AM EDT
[#5]
It's one place you can be traveling N, S, E, and W at the same time, according to the signs on the interstate.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:45:12 AM EDT
[#6]
If you like to hike Williamsport is the place for you. They’ve got a pretty good brewery as well .

Check out uncoveringpa.com or visitpa.com.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:45:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Lots of baseball stuff (it's the home of the Little League World Series). EuroOptic is also worth a visit if you've got the time.
View Quote

I've done a bit of business w/EuroOptic, but didn't realize where they were located.  I'll stop by, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:46:02 AM EDT
[#8]
A couple of nice gunshops in the area

Millers is in a barn on the way there

a couple of nice brew pubs
https://www.johnryanbrewery.com/
https://www.bullfrogbrewery.com/

sometimes the huge mulch pile on the way there is on fire
dont miss the shopvac factory

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:46:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you like to hike Williamsport is the place for you. They’ve got a pretty good brewery as well .

Check out uncoveringpa.com or visitpa.com.
View Quote

Thanks for these references.  

Edit: Yes, I like to hike.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:49:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Should be good to go. Hopefully the leaves will be turning during your visit.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:55:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A couple of nice gunshops in the area

Millers is in a barn on the way there

a couple of nice brew pubs
https://www.johnryanbrewery.com/
https://www.bullfrogbrewery.com/

sometimes the huge mulch pile on the way there is on fire
dont miss the shopvac factory

View Quote

Eh, in my experience Millers is a bit pricey.  They do usually have a nice selection of used guns.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:56:20 AM EDT
[#13]
It's beautiful place, TX ccw or FL is good.

Too many drugs and a depressed economy.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:00:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Most of central PA is really rural.  They make a lot of potato chips there, too.

Oldie, but accurate.
PENNSYLVANIA STYLE by Sloppy Secondz Music - Gangnam Style parody - PA Song

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:02:37 AM EDT
[#15]
With a Texas resident permit your are good to go in PA as long as you are over 21 yrs of age.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:07:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Eh, in my experience Millers is a bit pricey.  They do usually have a nice selection of used guns.
View Quote
Roadtrip to Grices?
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:07:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I recall Miller’s being a fudd shop. There were lots of reports online of them being anti stuff you don’t hunt with. Not sure if that’s changed.

JE in bellefonte and national sporting goods in state college and jersey shore are much better uses of your time if you want to stop at a gun shop.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:08:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:12:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Wonderful place. The Wegman's grocery store is amazing
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:14:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think the one in Williamsport was one of the first in PA. I always used to grab lunch there when I was traveling.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:24:09 AM EDT
[#21]
State College ain't exactly adjacent to Williamsport.
60 miles
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:26:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I recall Miller’s being a fudd shop. There were lots of reports online of them being anti stuff you don’t hunt with. Not sure if that’s changed.

JE in bellefonte and national sporting goods in state college and jersey shore are much better uses of your time if you want to stop at a gun shop.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

National is in Williamsport and Jersey Shore and both shops are very small. EuroOptics has a large building, but small public area.

Miller's has lots of guns of all types, separate archery section with very large selection of all types and a repair/build service on site, sells suppressors/does transfers (even does finger printing), Tannerite, triggers, receivers, lots of optics, night/termal, ammo, reloading stuff, gunsmithing, machine shop services, builds guns, all kinds of stuff. Even has a fishing/tackle shop on the property.

Williamsport is the home of Little League Baseball and fields and museum are across the river in South Williamsport.

PA College Of Technology is an amazing tech/trade school affiliated with Penn State (pct.edu). That's about it for "Billtown" except for the trash that has settled from Philly over the years. Can't think of any gun shops that are worth a stop.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:30:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

National is in Williamsport and Jersey Shore and both shops are very small. EuroOptics has a large building, but small public area.

Miller's has lots of guns of all types, separate archery section with very large selection of all types, sells suppressors (even does finger printing), Tellerite, triggers, gunsmithing, machine shop services, builds guns, all kinds of stuff. Even has a fishing/tackle shop on the property.
View Quote

National has a location in state college now too. Right next to wegmans.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:30:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's our "common" grocery chain in our AO.    
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:35:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Probably not relevant on a short, light packed visit but ...

It's possibly the 1000yd benchrest capitol of the world!
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:41:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Head North and you can hit up the PA Grand Canyon, native trout and its alot of fun rafting.  Theres also the PA Lumber Museum.  Wellsboro is a great little town, with sone decent restaurants, etc.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:42:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That's our "common" grocery chain in our AO.    
View Quote

Wegmans is no longer G2G. No bags=no 302w.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:52:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Get a place to stay down in the little downtown area.  Either the Residence Inn or the TownePlace.  You can then park and not have to walk to dinner.

The Old Corner has a good bar with an outdoor courtyard.  As someone said the Bullfrog Brewery is solid if you are a microbrew person.  

If you like gastropub type food try Barrel 135.  For pubgrub I would just stay at the Old Corner or the Bullfrog.

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 12:02:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Go east a bit and visit Rickett's Glen State Park.  Gorgeous this time of year, best during the week if you can swing it.  Crowded on weekends.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 12:09:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 12:39:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Clyde Peeling’s Reptileland.

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 12:46:35 PM EDT
[#32]
You should see the insanity of a PSU home football weekend
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 12:54:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 2:10:54 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm still listening and taking notes.  Thanks y'all.

I'll be there Oct. 8-12.  Never been to the northeast US before.  Kinda' looking forward to seeing a slice of PA.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 2:12:25 PM EDT
[#35]
There is s 1000 yard big bore range near there

http://www.pa1000yard.com/

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 2:16:11 PM EDT
[#36]
https://www.gricegunshop.com/

an hour and a half away on 80

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 2:21:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm still listening and taking notes.  Thanks y'all.

I'll be there Oct. 8-12.  Never been to the northeast US before.  Kinda' looking forward to seeing a slice of PA.
View Quote

After your flight, Id plan to spend some time in State College before going to Williamsport. Its a college town, but its quite nice, clean, safe, and has very enjoyable scenery. Lots of good hiking and mountain biking if you have interest. You could even just walk around the campus and look at architecture. The whole campus is like a country club. Well maintained. Very walkable and with some unique pubs right on the Main Street in town.

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 2:24:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 2:28:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Try not to get shot. Williamsport is quickly becoming like Philly or Pittsburgh.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 2:28:45 PM EDT
[#40]
If you have the time heading back to State College. Run up 15 to 6W to Galeton and then take 144S down to Snowshoe. Then catch 80 to 99 to State College.
Round about scenic route through some nice country. Maybe see some Elk along the way.
Almost 200 mi but some nice hill country.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 2:52:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Try not to get shot. Williamsport is quickly becoming like Philly or Pittsburgh.
View Quote

I was hoping not to hear this.
Top Top