Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2021 1:58:51 PM EDT
https://triblive.com/news/pennsylvania/gov-wolf-defends-moving-smokers-to-top-covid-vaccine-priority-group/

Smokers are among people included in Pennsylvania’s first priority group for the covid-19 vaccine, a move state officials defended this week.

Health officials announced Jan. 19 that the state would follow updated guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that recommended anyone aged 65 or older and those 16 to 64 with certain conditions be moved for that first priority group.

That latter group includes people with cancer, chronic kidney disease, COPD, Down syndrome, heart conditions, sickle cell disease, Type 2 diabetes and anyone in an immunocompromised state for any reason, from HIV and organ transplant recipients to use of corticosteroids and immuno-suppressants.

It also includes people who smoke and who are considered obese or severely obese.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#1]
In a way, that makes sense. If the goal is simply to minimize lives lost due to covid or to other diseases being aggravated by covid, then you'd focus your treatment efforts on people with the major comorbidities who are actually dying from/with covid: COPD/CHF/'beetus patients.

If the goal is to virtue-signal that you're healthy and pure in all things great and small, that's when it makes sense to focus limited vaccine resources on yogurt-sprout-eating motherf***ers.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:06:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In a way, that makes sense. If the goal is simply to minimize lives lost due to covid or to other diseases being aggravated by covid, then you'd focus your treatment efforts on people with the major comorbidities who are actually dying from/with covid: COPD/CHF/'beetus patients.

If the goal is to virtue-signal that you're healthy and pure in all things great and small, that's when it makes sense to focus limited vaccine resources on yogurt-sprout-eating motherf***ers.
View Quote

They're rewarding irresponsible behavior, again
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:08:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Rewarding poor life choices. They should make people on welfare dead last to get the shot.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:08:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shouldn't be concerned about the disease if you're being responsible.

I think the idea is to first vaccinate people who are more likely to die from contracting covid, then vaccinate people who are less likely to die. It makes sense to me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:09:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Normal government stuff
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:10:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you put tourniquets on people who aren't bleeding?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:11:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I think the idea is to first vaccinate people who are more likely to die from contracting covid, then vaccinate people who are less likely to die. It makes sense to me.
View Quote

They choose to be most likely to die by choosing to smoke.

And if their health is so damn important, I wonder if they have stopped smoking? I bet many if not most have not.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:11:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Rewarding poor life choices. They should make people on welfare dead last to get the shot.
View Quote
Being we get to pay for it if they get hospitalized for 87 days, I would actually put them high at on the list.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#9]
A 40 year old smoker that's 75 pounds overweight is probably at more risk than a 70 year old that walks a few miles a day. Of the people I know the Rona appears to hit fat ones harder
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:13:21 PM EDT
[#10]
That's like giving people that screw condoms!

I'm outraged!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:13:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, but you do give vaccines to people without a disease right?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:14:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's really not hard to understand. Since everyone on here likes to crow about the death rate being so low it makes sense to vaccinate those who are actually at risk of dying from it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:15:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They choose to be most likely to die by choosing to smoke.

And if their health is so damn important, I wonder if they have stopped smoking? I bet many if not most have not.
View Quote

Yeah, it isn't smart to smoke for quite a few reasons. Being susceptible to lung diseases is one of those reasons.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:15:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the end goal? Reducing overall covid-related deaths or reducing covid-related deaths among the worthy? Because I'm pretty sure that the obsessively power-walking hand-washing vegan skinny people are not dying from/with covid in statistically-significant numbers to begin with.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:30:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eventually you give it to everyone who wants it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I see more and more Gladys Kravitz types coming out of the woodwork with their "concern" about who is perceived to be cutting in the vaccine line. It's a mutation of virtue signaling. IDGAF who got a vaccine today, and whether they were a cop (gasp, clutches pearls) or a fatty.

It will get worse for a while until everyone who wants to be vaccinated has been. I told a 55 year old who was vaccinated... don't say a WORD to anyone. Don't post it on facebook. So many unhappy people with so much time on their hands. No good will come of it. At best... rudeness. At worst, pitchforks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:36:31 PM EDT
[#17]
lol.  DIE, kale sucking hippy vegan scum!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:37:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't? It's your funeral.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#19]
If you let all of the fat smokers in Pennsylvania die of COVID, then who'd be left?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:39:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Lmao. GD has said from the beginning that only the elderly, land whales and smokers die from covid. I can't wait to see the outrage now that those groups are the first to get the vaccine to help prevent complications.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:02:04 PM EDT
[#21]
I had the wootan flue.
I am fatish.
Smoke.
Pre betus.
On immune system stuff.
And I beat the wootans squinty eyed ass.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:06:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you let all of the fat smokers in Pennsylvania die of COVID, then who'd be left?
View Quote

Trannies?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:08:56 PM EDT
[#23]
I guess when you think about it.
If the smokers die off, tax $$$ will be lost.

The state is just protecting its tax stream.
Keep smokers alive. For the good of the state!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:10:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fat drunks like me
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:12:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
A 40 year old smoker that's 75 pounds overweight is probably at more risk than a 70 year old that walks a few miles a day. Of the people I know the Rona appears to hit fat ones harder
View Quote

It was engineered that way
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:17:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I had the wootan flue.
I am fatish.
Smoke.
Pre betus.
On immune system stuff.
And I beat the wootans squinty eyed ass.
View Quote

That was just a warning. Next time around it'll be the real deal. What are you going to do about it?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:25:35 PM EDT
[#27]
They can give as many people as they want to the shot before me... let's call that... testing.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:27:47 PM EDT
[#28]
As long as no one forces me to get the vaccine I don’t give a shit who they let get it.  

It’s interesting human psychology.  As soon as something is being rationed out, suddenly even anti-vaxers are fighting to get in line.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:00:33 PM EDT
[#29]
I thought nicotine users were not getting affected by the Covid.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:11:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree.  The goal is to reduce hospitalizations and deaths, so in the near future the net effect of COVID is significantly reduced.  Unless maybe you like lockdowns?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:12:52 PM EDT
[#31]
My, how far GD has come in less than  a year. Used to be covid was no big deal. Just the flu. Only affects the old people and the super unhealthy.

Now GD seems gravely concerned about how the government prioritizes the vaccine for a disease they previously said was no big deal?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:18:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My, how far GD has come in less than  a year. Used to be covid was no big deal. Just the flu. Only affects the old people and the super unhealthy.

Now GD seems gravely concerned about how the government prioritizes the vaccine for a disease they previously said was no big deal?
View Quote

Good point.  If COVID is no big deal, just basically the flu, then why would there be a concern about how the vaccine rolls out, since there's really no reason to even get the vaccine for something that trivial
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top