Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2023 6:15:27 PM EDT
I want to put a receptacle in my soffit for holiday lights, and I want to use some kind of Z-Wave controller so they can be controlled with Home Assistant.

I haven't been able to find a GFCI Z-Wave receptacle, but I have found a Z-Wave relay. It's designed to control light switches, but I would imagine it could just as easily be used with a receptacle.

Since it would be outside, I'd probably coat it in epoxy in case water intrudes into the box.

Is there anything wrong with wiring a relay into a receptacle?
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 7:25:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not familiar with your futuristic "Z-Wave" tech,
but I thought GFCIs receptacles now have to be manually
reset if they don't sense voltage on the line side.

That would suck if installed up in the soffit.

Maybe a relay on a standard receptacle on the load
side of the GFCI outlet?

Link Posted: 5/1/2023 7:28:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Use a regular receptacle in soffit, mount GFCI in attic that you can reach. Power for that through a Kasa or Z-wave switch. Easy to do.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 7:28:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Put a gfci breaker in the panel then it doesn't matter what kind of outlet you use?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top