Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2024 1:36:40 PM EDT
Alright, so the short version of this is that I am looking to get wireless access up at my shop, by tapping in to a wired network used for PoE cameras on the abutting buildings.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

So basically the ISP feed comes into office 1 and goes into one of those homeowner grade combo router/modems, and from that there is a second Netgear router creating the wifi for Office 1. Also plugged into the combo router/modem is a switch which has four NVRs for the PoE cameras all over the property. Over in Office 2 there is another switch which has a dozen or so cameras plugged into it, as well as an Asus router to create yet another WiFi network just for Office 2.

All of this is to say that over on the back corner of Building 6, I have a PoE camera, and that ethernet cable for that camera has internet access, albeit a bit convoluted.

What I want to do is beam internet up from Building 6 to the Shop by utilizing that ethernet cable.

I think what I need is an outdoor access point, like the Ubiquiti AC Mesh UAP-AC-M or TP-Link EAP225, correct? I don't really care about getting all existing wifi networks on to the same SSID or anything -- this is all very low user count and home-owner quality stuff.

Will I use the same device on top of the Shop to receive the signal from Building 6? My shop is a steel building and steel roof, so I will then need another indoor AP (or router?) physically wired to the AP on top of the building, right? As I understand it the APs mentioned above actually create and broadcast an SSID I can connect to, not just amplify/repeat an existing wifi signal (which I do not have at Building 6).

Link Posted: 2/26/2024 4:01:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: castlebravo84] [#1]
Do you need the camera at building six to still work after repurposing it's ethernet cable to feed a wireless link? If yes, what model camera is it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 8:15:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By castlebravo84:
Do you need the camera at building six to still work after repurposing it's ethernet cable to feed a wireless link? If yes, what model camera is it.
View Quote

I do. It's a FLIR PoE. So I will need something like a 2 port switch to plug the camera and Building 6 AP into. I have run power out to that corner so I can do some sort of enclosure to house the switch and electrical outlet there.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 10:12:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: castlebravo84] [#3]
Originally Posted By thormx538:

I do. It's a FLIR PoE. So I will need something like a 2 port switch to plug the camera and Building 6 AP into. I have run power out to that corner so I can do some sort of enclosure to house the switch and electrical outlet there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thormx538:

I would get two of these, put one on each building facing each other, and set them up as a wireless bridge; google it, there are tons of guides out there for how to configure them.  They will effectively act as a cable from one building to the other.  Get a wifi AP for the new building to plug into the station side if the bridge and you have the result you want.  These also have two ethernet ports with POE passthrough, so if your camera is compatible with the same POE scheme as the radio, you can run both off of one POE injector assuming it has enough current output to supply both.  Do you know the exact camera model?

https://store.ui.com/us/en/collections/uisp-wireless-airmax-5-ghz-client-compact/products/ns-5ac
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 10:17:29 PM EDT
[#4]
AirMax is good stuff. Just make sure you configure them together on the ground before you install them in the air.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 10:30:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By LonghornAR:
AirMax is good stuff. Just make sure you configure them together on the ground before you install them in the air.
View Quote

Yeah I use the Airmax at two separate sites and made the mistake the first time of putting them up and then trying to configure them. I would also recommend the Airmax because they have been rock solid between 1-3 years.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:47:08 PM EDT
[#6]

I would get two of these, put one on each building facing each other, and set them up as a wireless bridge; google it, there are tons of guides out there for how to configure them.  They will effectively act as a cable from one building to the other.  Get a wifi AP for the new building to plug into the station side if the bridge and you have the result you want.  These also have two ethernet ports with POE passthrough, so if your camera is compatible with the same POE scheme as the radio, you can run both off of one POE injector assuming it has enough current output to supply both.  Do you know the exact camera model?

https://store.ui.com/us/en/collections/uisp-wireless-airmax-5-ghz-client-compact/products/ns-5ac
View Quote

Thanks

I have to replace one of the cameras tomorrow so I will check the model number when I'm doing that
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 12:24:36 PM EDT
[#7]
@castlebravo84

The cameras are FLIR PE133E, so PoE 48V 802.3af

The switch that is providing PoE to that camera location right now is: https://www.geovision.com.tw/product/GV-POE1601-V2, which provides the higher wattage 48V "PoE+"

Looking at the datasheet for the NanoStation I'm unclear if it is providing true 48V PoE out of the second LAN port or if it can only do the 24V "PoE Passive" that (I think) it requires as an input, hence why they include a "24V, 0.5A Gigabit PoE supply"?
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 3:47:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: castlebravo84] [#8]
NS-5AC is compatible with 48v 802.3af Alternative A (Pairs 1, 2+; 3, 6 Return), and the poe pass through feature just sends the same voltage on the same wires as the poe in.  I don't think the nanostation will trigger active poe output though, so you might want to check if your switch can be set for passive poe to force voltage out that port.  The 24v passive poe adapter the nanostation comes with won't power your camera, but one of the ubnt gigabit poe+ passive injectors should work if your switch won't.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 8:36:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok cool. I'm going to order them tomorrow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top