Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2022 10:48:00 PM EDT
Just over a week out, who’s going?

This will be my first time attending but I’ll be working most of the week.  I’ve been a controller at Sun N Fun five times but this is my first chance to wear the pink ATC shirts.  Pretty excited and can’t wait to check out the sights during my days off.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 11:16:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I’m trying to make it, we’ll see.  My buddy is taking his T28 out.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 11:20:22 PM EDT
[#2]
How did he land it upside down?

Link Posted: 7/11/2022 11:43:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How did he land it upside down?

View Quote

It’s a pic from Australia, duh!
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 6:30:19 AM EDT
[#4]
We'll be there again this year.
Arriving early Monday morning and will definitely see the 3 night time airshows.
I've downloaded the Airventure app and need to get that working.  Although I'll miss carrying the seminar catalog around.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I was there in 1980 with my dad.  He was working the tower for a week or so during the fly in.  

Saw Bob Hoover fly. Met Leo Laugenslauger(sp). World aerobatics champion at the time.

Great times
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 5:57:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll be there all week. Taking a B-25.

Link Posted: 7/12/2022 6:05:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Man that’s awesome!  How many B25’s will be there?
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I’m going.  We’re going with another couple. The other guy flew the Fisk arrival and said never again. We’re going to a nearby airport. We’re staying in hotel he used before.

The only question is whose 182 we’re taking. His is ready to go, and mine is just getting out of an extreme makeover. We’d need to get a dozen or so hours on it before I’d be comfortable with mine.

I’m really getting excited about it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 2:16:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Hopefully going the second half (Thursday-Saturday leave Sunday) with my dad. Haven’t gone since 2016. Someone said on a FB group, that as of the last few shows, the Warbirds start dipping out Thursday. I don’t remember that in the past but that would be a big let down. We camp in Scholler and try to snag a better campin go spot Thursday morning after the first group of people decide to leave.

If the second half of the week looks to be Sloshkosh, then we might skip. Not sure how many years I have left with my dad, I’d hate to not be able to go, but would also hate if it was a let down.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 8:44:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nice!  Stay safe and have fun.  

I wont make it this year.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 10:46:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This will be my first time attending but I’ll be working most of the week.  I’ve been a controller at Sun N Fun five times but this is my first chance to wear the pink ATC shirts.  Pretty excited and can’t wait to check out the sights during my days off.
View Quote

Congrats on working the tower.  You have to be pretty good to do that, right?

I got a tower tour up there a couple years ago.  They sure are busy!

I'll be there, not sure what days.  It's always fun.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 1:56:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Congrats on working the tower.  You have to be pretty good to do that, right?

I got a tower tour up there a couple years ago.  They sure are busy!

I'll be there, not sure what days.  It's always fun.
View Quote

It gets bid out by seniority and experience.  Every year there are first timers at the event.  I’ve worked Sun N Fun five times and just became eligible to bid Oshkosh last year (couldn’t make it due to other commitments) because my home tower is in FL.  They draw from the central part of the country first then from Eastern.  Sun N Fun draws from eastern first then central.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 6:31:45 AM EDT
[#13]
From my experience over the past 4 years, the warbirds don't even start arriving until Tuesday or so, and there were still a lot of them there on Friday.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 2:48:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Everyone be safe flying up there this week. 9 fatal aviation accidents with 21 fatalities since Thursday across the US NAS.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:01:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Everyone be safe flying up there this week. 9 fatal aviation accidents with 21 fatalities since Thursday across the US NAS.
View Quote

Aren't you ATC?  Along with the other member who will be working the show, we hope that the professionalism of your crew will be a huge factor in keeping everyone safe!

I am planning to fly up on Friday for the day and just use GA parking.

I was up there shooting approaches with a friend this weekend.  It was still pretty quiet.  I was going to do some dot landing practice at KOSH tonight, but the airspace was shut down for an airshow (airshow practice?).  It goes from sleepy Class D, to the world's busiest airport in about a week's time.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 1:11:49 AM EDT
[#16]
I've thought about applying to work it at least once to say I did it.  I've worked with several who've done it once and one guy who worked it several years in a row for many years.  I've never worked tower traffic of that level though and I'll admit it would be tough.  I have worked a ton of Oshkosh traffic on radar through my facility's airspace over the years.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 6:29:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

"Blue aircraft over the lake, rock your wings!"
"Aim for the tower, aim for the tower".  
You're going to have a blast.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 7:17:44 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm going.  First time.  Newly upgraded panel in the 182.  Looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 9:08:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Tag. Always love to watch/monitor the traffic. If I ever strike oil, I'll get into aviation. Until then...pipe dream. :-)
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 11:46:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Will this be the OFFICIAL photo page now?
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Aren't you ATC?  Along with the other member who will be working the show, we hope that the professionalism of your crew will be a huge factor in keeping everyone safe!

I am planning to fly up on Friday for the day and just use GA parking.

I was up there shooting approaches with a friend this weekend.  It was still pretty quiet.  I was going to do some dot landing practice at KOSH tonight, but the airspace was shut down for an airshow (airshow practice?).  It goes from sleepy Class D, to the world's busiest airport in about a week's time.
View Quote

Yeah I am. I have no desire to work events like that!! I also have no desire to fly in! I would drive in and spend a couple days and camp.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 11:50:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Apparently some nasty T-storms rolled through, reports of damaged aircraft already.

That’s always concerned me. Luckily the 2 times I’ve flown in the weather cooperated.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 12:37:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Taken just minutes before the line moved through.  Definitely was a nasty line.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top