Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2021 5:35:18 PM EDT
I'm only creating this thread because other people may be in the same boat wondering if they should sell "extras" now or wait.

During the salad days of "buy cheap stack it deep" I built a pencil barrel carbine from a Del-Ton upper and PSA lower.

It's got a non-chrome lined phosphate barrel, one of the few pencil barrels I could find in stock at the time.  So it's a "carry a lot, shoot a little" carbine.  I never could get a definitive answer on how long a plain phosphate barrel lasts in round count, but I know it's less than a chrome lined barrel.

Attachment Attached File

Should I keep it as an expendable throwaway?  It shoots fine and I might keep it as a platform for trying out different ammo given the "iffy" supplies these days.

Should I sell it to someone who might not already have an AR and would appreciate it given the likelihood of a ban?

Should I keep it and hope that a ban makes it more attractive to sell?  I'm not one to take my $600 carbine and try to get $3,000 for it, but hey, if an expected ban lets me make two or three hundred on it, okay.

I could almost certainly sell it for what I've got in it and keep the money for ammo or another optic or something.

I know some of you are in the same boat.

What  are your thoughts on stuff you think you might not need to keep?

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:41:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Sell it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:45:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Prices have not spiked yet on used rifles.  Wait a few months.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:50:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm selling my mosins and k31.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:58:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:58:30 PM EDT
[#5]
If you've got others, I'd sell it. Perhaps help someone out. Have some extra funds for the next thing.bive got a Remington 788 in 308 I'm contemplating selling, not sure what it's worth though.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:59:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Sell extra guns and extra duplicates and buy

gear
no paper firearms
armor
nv
thermal
comms
preps etc
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:01:19 PM EDT
[#7]
In my 50 plus years on this rock I have learned guns typically just increase in value.  I have also learned DONT SALE GUNS!  Seems any gun I have ever sold I end up regretting it.
Keep it, stash it if it is extra or keep for a friend but keep it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:02:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you've got others, I'd sell it. Perhaps help someone out.
View Quote

This is how I'm leaning.  I like helping out new shooters.

Here in New Mexico you pretty much have to sell through a dealer now, but that's just an inconvenience.

It's a good rifle for someone without a lot of upper body strength, i.e., a new female AR convert.

I had previously sold another pencil barrel build to a lady friend of mine who's a new shooter.

But nobody, and I mean nobody, gets my Colt 6720.  I plan to be buried with that one.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:04:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Why? By the time Bidet gets done fucking us, these will be the only ones allowed at ranges without the Stasi showing up
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:06:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Tossing around the same thoughts. For example, I have a really nice AK I bought a few years ago from a guy I knew because he got laid off and needed rent money. Got a case of ammo with it. I certainly don't need it and could definitely get more than I paid for it. But, if the bans come, this rifle could be worth a lot more than I can get now.

Decisions, decisions.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:06:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Do you have a like-minded friend or trustworthy acquaintance that could use some of this to round out their gear?  Sell it to them at a reasonable rate.  

What about a close family member or very close friend with the same as above?  Maybe even give it to them.  (son, daughter, brother, sister, close cousin, etc.)

Do you need the money or don't have anyone matching the above? Sell the hell out of it.  Now is probably one of the best times in history to sell outright for good money.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’m in the mood to sell al my C&R stuff. 91/30’s,91/30 sniper, K31,No4,No1,M38,K98,CZ52,1895 Nagants......
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:09:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do you have a like-minded friend or trustworthy acquaintance that could use some of this to round out their gear?  Sell it to them at a reasonable rate.  

What about a close family member with the same as above?  Maybe even give it to them.  (son, daughter, brother, sister, close cousin, etc.)

Do you need the money or don't have anyone matching the above? Sell the hell out of it.  Now is probably one of the best times in history to sell outright for good money.
View Quote

I could use the funds for an Aimpoint Pro, for sure.  My motivation, though, is more in getting a lightweight AR into the hands of someone who would appreciate it--someone who might  have trouble with a rifle that's got a heavier barrel.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:11:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I could use the funds for an Aimpoint Pro, for sure.  My motivation, though, is more in getting a lightweight AR into the hands of someone who would appreciate it--someone who might  have trouble with a rifle that's got a heavier barrel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about a close family member with the same as above?  Maybe even give it to them.  (son, daughter, brother, sister, close cousin, etc.)

Look for someone close that needs it.  If no takers, sell it, although someone else mentioned used is not that high right now, so maybe I'm wrong.  I like the idea of helping someone out, though.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:14:13 PM EDT
[#15]
The older I get, the more of a minimalist I am. I expect to eventually pare the collection down to a couple of handguns, shotguns and rifles.
Just like I intend to shrink my personal possessions down to a fraction of what they are.
Just less stuff my heirs will have to deal with when I kick the bucket
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:58:58 PM EDT
[#16]
It all depends on your situation. I am coming up on 60, we don't have any kids, and I want to focus on shooting my ARs, AKs, and pistols. I have sold at least 30 Milsurp rifles and about a dozen pistols.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:00:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sell it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:01:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
In my 50 plus years on this rock I have learned guns typically just increase in value.  I have also learned DONT SALE GUNS!  Seems any gun I have ever sold I end up regretting it.
View Quote

Selling my old Milsurp stuff and most of my Class 3 helped my wife and I retire while we are physically able to enjoy it. I don't know how long she has left so it was a no brainer. I don't regret it one damn bit.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:02:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:03:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Prices have not spiked yet on used rifles.  Wait a few months.
View Quote

+1

Prices will go up when legislation is proposed.  You should have time to unload it before anything passes.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:06:46 PM EDT
[#21]
What is this 'sell' word?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:09:35 PM EDT
[#22]
I occasionally have this thought, and then I get a mental picture of the Inland M1 Carbine I sold, and think again.

I had a few surplus-to-needs ARs, I gave them to my kids.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:15:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The older I get, the more of a minimalist I am. I expect to eventually pare the collection down to a couple of handguns, shotguns and rifles.
Just like I intend to shrink my personal possessions down to a fraction of what they are.
Just less stuff my heirs will have to deal with when I kick the bucket
View Quote

Pretty much where I am at in life myself. And I'm still pretty young. Got a lot of stuff that I haven't shot in years, duplicates etc. Going to keep the items that have family ties and or historical significance, and convert the others into things I will use/need/want.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:22:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Sell anything you don't need.

I only wish I could do that :(.

Hell, I won a Hi-Point fotay in a Christmas raffle a few years ago.  I can't even bring myself to get rid of that. I can't bring myself to shoot it either.

It's almost like once they come in the house, they become family.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:27:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't think AR's are all that hot to sell right now.  But it depends on your area.  Hit up your local shops and see what's selling.  No problem finding AR's in my area.  But throw it up for consignment with 60 rounds on ammo and it might go for a premium.  Plenty of guns sitting around my A/O, but no ammo to feed them.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:33:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I just put a bunch of stuff on consignment. I will have a bunch of parts for sale here this weekend also. If it is taking up space, and you have some gaps in stuff, then I would look at selling it. I still have a lot of stuff and a lot of milsurps. I am not selling the milsurp stuff as some of it is less likely to get caught up in a ban if VA goes full R. I can't play the "will not comply" game in enemy territory. Anything that may not pass muster if the commies pass a state law will go out of state.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:39:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds like you don't have enough guns.
Even with living in NY I have in excess of xx handguns and twice as many long guns.

I could sell a quarter of my guns and not miss the ones I sold.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:44:06 PM EDT
[#28]
I think in my case I'm going to just put it away as a spare and not shoot it.  If someone comes along that seems to be in "need" of a lightweight AR I will probably offer it to that person.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top