Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2021 5:44:21 PM EDT
I apologize, I 'called' myself searching for the book.  I liked One Second After and was curious about this one.  I've been really tempted to dig Lights Out again for a re-read lately.  For some reason around winter I get interested in this subject matter every year (more than usual anyways).   Thanks

Added but not picking one over the other, but are the Swagger books a decent series?  I want to read more next year, lol
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 6:16:20 PM EDT
[#1]
One Second After was a great book. I am going to follow this thread for info.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 7:18:09 PM EDT
[#2]
One Year After and the Final Day.

All three are interesting, good reads (in my opinion).  Read them a few years ago. Need to retread them.

Have Lights Out on the nightstand, need to read it.

Link Posted: 12/21/2021 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I am going to get One Year After when I am done with the book I am reading.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 8:02:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Day of Wrath was great too.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 8:05:07 PM EDT
[#5]
You'd like the shattered series also.
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 8:09:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 8:04:01 PM EDT
[#7]
At a minimum, read the first Swagger book "Point of Impact".  That started the Swagger saga, and is still the best, not that the others aren't interesting.
Pay attention to the "hook" at the end about the safety deposit box contents.
The second best in the Swagger line is "Black Light"....Swagger's hero State Trooper father was killed in a 1950's shoot out with two punks in a corn field.
The punks were armed with a .44 Special S&W and a rare Colt Super .38.  Earl Swagger was armed with a .357.....so how did he die with a .30 caliber 110 grain bullet in the heart?  
Some powerful people and the Southern Mob don't want Swagger asking questions and try to stop him....BIG mistake.

Other Stephen Hunter books not in the Swagger story line are:
"Dirty White Boys"...the hunt for three murderous escaped convicts through Oklahoma.

"The Day before Midnight"...... A rogue Russian Special Ops unit takes over a secret US missile silo.  
The "Key to Hell" is protected by a multi-ton block of Titanium, and the kidnapped master welder and metal cutter they force to attack it.
Against them, an insane Vietcong woman and an American Vietnam tunnel rat who's doing hard time in prison.

"The Master Sniper" about the last days of WWII and a Nazi sniper armed with an MP44 and a Vampir night sight on a mission to insure the Third Reich survives.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 7:15:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I enjoyed the Hot Springs book a lot. and some of the others.

still have a bunch to read of his, but went through 5-6  so far.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 1:08:15 AM EDT
[#9]
The series was great didn't like the 47th Samurai or the nascar one I Sniper was okay.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 10:39:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Love the earlier Swagger books and the most recent are just OK in my opinion
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 8:46:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Finished 'Point of Impact' last night and enjoyed it!  Night of the Hunter is next.   At 51 though, I had to suck it up and finally buy some reading glasses
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 9:38:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Love the earlier Swagger books and the most recent are just OK in my opinion
View Quote

My sentiments
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 1:33:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I liked all of the bob swagger and the bob Lee books up until the samurai one. I was super excited for it to come out. Iirc, I even pre ordered it. I never finished it.

One second after was a book that I picked up while I was on a trip for work. I grabbed it the night before my flight home and planned to read it on the plane. I got bored and decided to read a couple of chapters and read the entire thing in one shot.  I might have read the next one but it isn't burned into my mind like the first one is.

(Did the professor dude lead the town against an attack by a biker gang in the first one?  If so, I didn't read the second)

I read "lights out" a couple of times back when it was online (frugal squirrel?). It's great. I started reading "collision course" when it was started on here. It wasn't finished here but I found it on Amazon and will most likely pick it up at some point just to finish it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 2:17:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
At a minimum, read the first Swagger book "Point of Impact".  That started the Swagger saga, and is still the best, not that the others aren't interesting.
Pay attention to the "hook" at the end about the safety deposit box contents.
The second best in the Swagger line is "Black Light"....Swagger's hero State Trooper father was killed in a 1950's shoot out with two punks in a corn field.
The punks were armed with a .44 Special S&W and a rare Colt Super .38.  Earl Swagger was armed with a .357.....so how did he die with a .30 caliber 110 grain bullet in the heart?  
Some powerful people and the Southern Mob don't want Swagger asking questions and try to stop him....BIG mistake.

Other Stephen Hunter books not in the Swagger story line are:
"Dirty White Boys"...the hunt for three murderous escaped convicts through Oklahoma.

"The Day before Midnight"...... A rogue Russian Special Ops unit takes over a secret US missile silo.  
The "Key to Hell" is protected by a multi-ton block of Titanium, and the kidnapped master welder and metal cutter they force to attack it.
Against them, an insane Vietcong woman and an American Vietnam tunnel rat who's doing hard time in prison.

"The Master Sniper" about the last days of WWII and a Nazi sniper armed with an MP44 and a Vampir night sight on a mission to insure the Third Reich survives.
View Quote
I think Dirty White Boys is great and The Day Before Midnight is his best. An absolute nail biter. And the insane heroics just to buy time...
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 2:27:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 10:37:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I think Dirty White Boys is great and The Day Before Midnight is his best. An absolute nail biter. And the insane heroics just to buy time...
View Quote

I would love to see both of those turned in to movies, but I know there is no way Hollywood could do them justice these days. I could see the Coens doing good work with them, especially considering DWB could have a similar feel to No Country. And Day Before would be easy to do as a period piece since it’s mostly a small town and a hill/tunnels. In his recent podcast with Jack Carr, he discussed the fact that he had tried writing a screenplay for Day Before, but it went nowhere.

Time to Hunt did an amazing job telling the story of Swagger’s pivotal last tour in Vietnam, and Fenn’s story. I really appreciated it.

Soft Target was junk, and I haven’t had much use for a few of the newer books, sadly. One thing I noticed is that Hunter seems to latch on to a phrase and reuse to over and over throughout a book.

I think G-Man was a really good historical fiction book. I can see disliking making Charles Swagger’s character homosexual, but it’s nothing new considering it was a big plot point in Hot Springs. It is also a good look at how it would have twisted him psychologically from a warm, good man to the abusive bully that Earl remembered.

That said, I really want to read Targeted, and whatever the previous Swagger book is to that.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 11:39:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The series was great didn't like the 47th Samurai or the nascar one I Sniper was okay.
View Quote

Came to post this, the samurai one was VERY freaking hokie... the Nascar one was better but not much.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top