User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 5:20:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rice-A-Roni, a lot less hassle and time in the instant pot:

Saute rice with 1T butter in Saute mode until pasta browns.
Add seasoning and 1 1/2 cup of water, stir
Set for pressure cook, low pressure, 12 minutes.
Vent after 12 minute pressure cook cycle is over.
Let it sit for a bit before serving.
View Quote
I love their Spanish Rice.  I figured the instant pot would do it better. Is that the full amount of water on the box recipe or is it reduced? It was $0.77 a box last week.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 5:21:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My wife managed to break our 6qt instapot last night.  The drama from her cooking is usually something to behold.  The pressure valve handle came off.  What is weird is the pot got hot enough it decided it had a seal and ran down the timer, but there was no seal and it just boiled the shit out of the soup.

Weird...
Edit - we just got it in July and there is a 1 year warranty.  Sent them an email this morning asking for a new lid.
View Quote
I always wet the seal and valve under a stream of water before I put it on the pot.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 8:47:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I made the knockoff of the Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana:
https://damndelicious.net/2018/03/03/instant-pot-olive-garden-zuppa-toscana-copycat/

Six quart pot loaded to the fill line with the ingredients.  Two adults + one fast growing teen, no leftovers.  Stupidly easy and just awesome.  It's going into the winter weeknight meal rotation.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 6:27:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I am going to buy one for my ex fiance for christmas - no rules about buying an appliance for an ex is there - LOL

Red
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 6:34:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Love mine. Chili made in 30 minutes tastes like it's been cooking all day.

We throw 5 lbs of frozen-solid venison roast in there with a packet of onion soup mix, some minced garlic, salt & pepper and set it for 2 hours. It just falls apart when you touch it with a fork... delicious. Yeah I know I could probably get away with less than 2 hours, but I know that works!
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 7:30:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Made split pea soup yesterday. I figured it was kinda Halloweenie. You know, that scene in The Exorcist?

Dumped the peas, water, ham shank, diced onion and carrots in the pot. High pressure for 17 minutes and vented naturally.
Must have been good, its almost gone.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 8:25:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My wife managed to break our 6qt instapot last night.  The drama from her cooking is usually something to behold.  The pressure valve handle came off.  What is weird is the pot got hot enough it decided it had a seal and ran down the timer, but there was no seal and it just boiled the shit out of the soup.

Weird...
Edit - we just got it in July and there is a 1 year warranty.  Sent them an email this morning asking for a new lid.
View Quote
It should just pop back on. It's meant to come off to be cleaned
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:50:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I did chikkenz Rice-a-Roni in the Instant pot yesterday.  Water is reduced from 2.5 cups per box to 1.5 cups per box.  That was a thing that none of the on line directions spelled out.

As far as browning the rice in the pot on saute mode, that is a fucking joke.  If you want it browned (per directions), you will need to do that on the stove in a skillet.  Good thing to find out now instead of wasting time trying to brown meat for chili or stew.

eta:  I figured this one out.  You can change from low to med to hi on saute, but you must make the change right after you turn it on and put it in saute mode, or it locks you out.  It does work.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:18:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I did chikkenz Rice-a-Roni in the Instant pot yesterday.  Water is reduced from 2.5 cups per box to 1.5 cups per box.  That was a thing that none of the on line directions spelled out.

As far as browning the rice in the pot on saute mode, that is a fucking joke.  If you want it browned (per directions), you will need to do that on the stove in a skillet.  Good thing to find out now instead of wasting time trying to brown meat for chili or stew.
View Quote
I've not had any problems browning stuff on Saute mode.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 3:15:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
I browned a roast in preparation for a stew a few weeks ago.  It worked fine.  I wouldn't have thought of browning rice.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 1:13:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Chicken Tacos:

3 Chicken Breasts fresh or frozen
1/3 cup water
one chicken bullion cube
Sprinkle Taco seasoning on chicken breasts
Push poultry button, will go 15 minutes High Pressure.
When done release pressure
Remove and shred chicken and serve.
View Quote
@gogetumnow
Do you have to thaw the chicken first?  I'm assuming that's a yes, but having just bought one there's a LOT I don't know yet :)
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 1:43:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

@gogetumnow
Do you have to thaw the chicken first?  I'm assuming that's a yes, but having just bought one there's a LOT I don't know yet :)
View Quote
Made this Saturday with boneless thighs. Didn't thaw them. Set time for 20 min waited 5 more min and released the pressure. Worked perfectly.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 3:47:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Made this Saturday with boneless thighs. Didn't thaw them. Set time for 20 min waited 5 more min and released the pressure. Worked perfectly.
View Quote
Nice!  Thanks for the info, looks like I'm having chicken tacos tonight
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 4:11:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Nice!  Thanks for the info, looks like I'm having chicken tacos tonight
View Quote
I put the chicken on a rack and the seasoning on the chicken. Removed the chicken with tongs and shredded in a bowl. Then I added some of the water/drippings from the IP to the chicken.

Next time im going to cook down the drippings to concentrate the flavors and add that to the shredded chicken. May add some browned chorizo also.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 1:20:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I did some Beef Stroganoff last night.  Put it on rice.  Turned out great!
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 2:36:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I made a quick meal of Caroll Shelby Chili mix.  I used 4 pounds of ground turkey, two boxes of mix, two cans of tomato sauce, and one sweated down onion from the day before.

I added everything cold and just a bit of water to get it close to the desired consistency and set it on high for an hour.

We served it over mac salad sized noodles because I was out of elbows.  Of course, there were plenty of leftovers for lunches and plenty of chili left for hot dags and scrambled eggs later in the week.

This came about mostly because I was looking for mac n cheese in my cupboard and found that I had 4 boxes of chili mix, rather than the two I normally keep.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 2:38:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've not had any problems browning stuff on Saute mode.
View Quote
After 5 minutes, butter wasn't even melted.  30000 btu gas burners will spoil a person.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 6:27:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

After 5 minutes, butter wasn't even melted.  30000 btu gas burners will spoil a person.
View Quote
Well La-De-Dah!   With your fancy gas stove top.

Link Posted: 12/5/2018 7:30:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Both of my 8 Qt. models will sear chicken or beef in a minute or two on saute.  Did you try the water test?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 7:48:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Why is an Insta Pot better than a pressure cooker?  Just wondering.  I use a pressure cooker on a gas stove top.  No problem browning, everything coops in one pot, same speed, easy clean up.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:47:51 AM EDT
[#21]
It's worth it for the eggs alone.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:54:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Why is an Insta Pot better than a pressure cooker?  Just wondering.  I use a pressure cooker on a gas stove top.  No problem browning, everything coops in one pot, same speed, easy clean up.
View Quote
The timer makes a big difference in my opinion.  It's basically a set & forget device.  Put in the ingredients, set the timer and that's it.   You can program it to start when you are not present and come home to a hot meal.  You don't need to adjust the heat/flame to get it "Just Right", it does that. (Mostly)  And it has a Keep Warm feature that works for up to 10 hours when it finishes the cook cycle.   Cleanup should be even easier with the removable liner, and you can get a non stick for $15-$20.   And yeah, the HB eggs alone are worth it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 3:09:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Ok.  I get it now.  Thanks,
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:40:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Did broccoli again last night set at 2 minutes.  I think 1 minute is enough.  Best broccoli ever, I always used to make it into mush in my steamer.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 1:45:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Here is a quick one.  Probably done in 30 or less but I ran it 1hr.

There were 4 pounds of ground turkey, 1 chopped onion and two boxes of the mix. A little water needs to be added. Add, stir, set, forget.  We served it over some macaroni.

Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:03:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It was OK. But not thick enough. I guess I will have to use corn starch or something to thicken it up if I use insta pot.
View Quote
You have to use less liquid since it doesn’t cook off.

I’ve made chili a couple of times in mine and it took me a few tries to get a handle on the liquid.

I also like to make pork or chicken(since they are cheap) smothered in a tomatillo sauce along with hominy and/or potatoes.

Chicken and Sausage Gumbo is easy too..

And stew...lots and lots of stew

And beans...
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 9:43:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Ok, I'm convinced. Gonna buy one tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 3:16:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You have to use less liquid since it doesn't cook off.

I've made chili a couple of times in mine and it took me a few tries to get a handle on the liquid.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/82036/034B4BEA-8B51-414C-877C-9F3AAD456C3D-404495.jpg

I also like to make pork or chicken(since they are cheap) smothered in a tomatillo sauce along with hominy and/or potatoes.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/82036/398C24F7-31A6-4268-87DF-99D8FF83E1D8-404492.jpg

And beans...
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/82036/3E1F2B3E-F241-43AF-AD89-D8F5CF788876-408623.jpg
View Quote
Nice!! Thanks for the tip!
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:24:25 PM EDT
[#29]
I love the Instapot.  I've had it about a month

So far I've made Beef Stroganoff w/egg noodles
Boneless pork chops
Boneless turkey breast (the gravy turned out very tasty)
Lentil soup
and collared greens with bacon.  Not all at once of course.

Everything turned out great.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 12:38:35 AM EDT
[#30]
We love ours.  It’s the best cooking device I’ve bought since my Green Egg
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 12:51:20 AM EDT
[#31]
subscribed!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 1:27:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You have to use less liquid since it doesn't cook off.

I've made chili a couple of times in mine and it took me a few tries to get a handle on the liquid.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/82036/034B4BEA-8B51-414C-877C-9F3AAD456C3D-404495.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/82036/398C24F7-31A6-4268-87DF-99D8FF83E1D8-404492.jpg

And beans...
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/82036/3E1F2B3E-F241-43AF-AD89-D8F5CF788876-408623.jpg
View Quote
I made chili again tonight. One thing I did different is that I didn't dump the kidney beans and pinto beans in until it was done. Since they're canned beans, they only need heated anyway, so the liquid from the beans was left out, unlike before.

It turned out great!!!! I ate so much I might explode.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 2:45:03 AM EDT
[#33]
We have two. A 3qt that I bought her for the 5th wheel, (its perfect for cooking for two), and a 6 quart for home. TBH having them both has come in handy a few times to make rice in the 3qt and gumbo or chili in the 6 qt. Baby back ribs from the cutting board to the table in 45 minutes including finishing on the grill. Perfectly cooked with a slight tug, and clean bone. 22 minute pressure cook, rapid vent, and straight on a hot gill to finish.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 8:02:32 PM EDT
[#34]
If you haven't tried two ingredient cheesecake yet, it is awesome.  I made it with Chobani strawberry 2% yogurt and it tasted absolutely decadent.

https://myheartbeets.com/2-ingredient-cheesecake-instant-pot-indian-cheesecake/

1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
8 oz full-fat or 2% yogurt (this doesn't work with fat free yogurt)

Whisk together sweetened condensed milk and yogurt.

Pour mixture into four custard cups or one larger wide shallow straight-walled dish that will fit into the Instant Pot.  Cover with foil.

Put 2 cups of water into the Instant Pot, then the rack, then the custard cups or dish.  You may need to stack the custard cups so they fit.

Process on high pressure for 25 mins if using custard cups, 30 mins if using single dish.

Natural release for 20 mins.

Can be eaten warm or chilled for several hours in the refrigerator.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 10:48:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Chuck roast was on sale this week so I bought several.  Threw a 3# roast into the Instant Pot on the rack over a cup of water with some generic "steak spices" on top.  Cooked at 35 mins high pressure while I made salad, quick release (it was late and I was hungry), and it was better than any crock pot roast I've had.

WHERE HAS THIS BEEN ALL MY LIFE?
View Quote
We always use ours for pot roast but admit I cook mine longer, sometimes up to 2.5 hours depending on how much time I have and the size of the roast. We eat it falling apart served over rice, though.

We like to do a Mississippi version but we adds more veggies.

Chuck roast, onion, garlic, carrot, mushroom, or whatever veggies you have on hand, 1 packet au jus mix, 1 jar (12oz) of pepperoncini with some of the juice. Cook for 90 minutes or to your liking.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 2:27:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Okay l messed up.

I cooked a small elk roast, no idea on the actual weight, but probably around 2#.

It was thawed when l put it in the pot with 2 cups of beef broth and cooked it for 40 minutes.

It was tough.

I'm guessing l over cooked it?

Or do l need to do something different since elk is extra lean?
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:37:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Okay l messed up.

I cooked a small elk roast, no idea on the actual weight, but probably around 2#.

It was thawed when l put it in the pot with 2 cups of beef broth and cooked it for 40 minutes.

It was tough.

View Quote
For game meat, you need a long time. Try 120 minutes next time.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 4:25:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Okay l messed up.

It was tough.

Really?!  I never would have guessed.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 4:27:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Got one for Christmas. Haven't tried it out yet...waiting to find the 'perfect' first recipe.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 5:18:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Got one for Christmas. Haven't tried it out yet...waiting to find the 'perfect' first recipe.
View Quote
The perfect first recipe is hard boiled eggs.

The recommended procedure is 5 minutes at pressure, 5 minutes natural release then quick release the steam and a 5 minute ice water bath.

Perfect because you it gets you aquainted with the device with a minimal outlay of cash of you screw up the recipe. Which you can't.

Plus you end up with deviled eggs.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The recommended procedure is 5 minutes at pressure, 5 minutes natural release then quick release the steam and a 5 minute ice water bath.

Perfect because you it gets you aquainted with the device with a minimal outlay of cash of you screw up the recipe. Which you can't.

View Quote
I use 5 min - 4 min - whenever I get around to peeling them. Yellow yolks every time, no green...
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:10:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I use 5 min - 4 min - whenever I get around to peeling them. Yellow yolks every time, no green...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the first time l did them l did like 6 minutes,  instant release and then put them in the water and walked away for several minutes.  Hey,  they're going to get cold when they go into the fridge, right?  So why snatch them out of the water so quickly?
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:15:02 PM EDT
[#43]
We have done spaghetti (use thin stuff), Mongolian Beef and Chicken and Broccoli since
Christmas

A friend did jambalaya that was great.

Just google recipes and go for it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 10:45:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah and if that's not long enough after a quick taste, go longer.

It's about experimentation. You'll see people say 30 minutes for a beef roast and others say 90.

Consistently though, I see people say 90+ for game. You could start there and just keep cooking longer until you're satisfied.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 2:40:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It's about experimentation. You'll see people say 30 minutes for a beef roast and others say 90.

Consistently though, I see people say 90+ for game. You could start there and just keep cooking longer until you're satisfied.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks again.   I'll certainly give it a try.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 2:56:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Turkey and Gravy

4 lbs turkey breast thawed
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp italian seasoning
1 tsp tarragon
1 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper
2 cloves garlic minced
2 tbsp butter unsalted

2 tbsp olive oil

For Gravy

2 tbsp butter unsalted
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup half and half

Drizzle the tbsp of olive oil all over the turkey breast and rub it in.  spices stick to the turkey breast. Rub the turkey well with the smoked paprika, Italian seasoning, tarragon, salt, and pepper. Finish with the minced garlic.

Instant Pot to the high saute setting. Add the 2 tbsp butter and oil  add the turkey breast. Sear the turkey breast on all sides. Should take about 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer the breast to a plate or a cutting board.

Add the Instant Pot's wire rack, then place the turkey on top,   Close the lid . Set the Instant Pot to the Manual setting and set the timer to 25 minutes on high pressure.

Once the Instant Pot cycle is complete, wait until the natural release cycle is complete,. Carefully unlock and remove the lid from the instant pot. Transfer the breast to a cutting board, cover completely with aluminum foil and let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes before cutting into it. Make sure to remove the butcher twine before slicing it. If crispier skin is desired, broil it in the oven for an additional 5-10 minutes.

For the Gravy

Turn the Instant Pot to the high saute setting (don't discard the turkey drippings). Add the 2 tbsp of butter and cook until the butter is melted. Whisk in the flour with the butter and cook for a couple minutes, stirring or whisking constantly, until the flour loses its raw smell.

Whisk in the chicken broth and cook and half and half and cook for an additional 3 minutes or until thickened. You can omit the half and half and just use 1 cup of chicken broth or turkey broth. I used half and half for a creamier gravy
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 12:31:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Dammit if I didn't manage to make a dozen green yoke eggs. I got in the middle of a project (washing machine took a shit) and didn't hear the beep.  They were probably over cooked by two minutes at my estimate.

They still peeled easy and taste like eggs. Very green yoke.

eta:  yeah, I had to buy a new washer.  Funny thing is I had the receipt for the old one.  Almost the same model, same brand, is actually $200 cheaper than it was ten years ago.  That is the difference in a Maytag being made by Bosch in Germany, vs the current one being made in China.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 4:41:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Oops.

I usually set the oven timer instead of relying on the beeper on my InstantPot.  I can here it anywhere in the apartment.  And while the time isn't exact it does get me to the kitchen to tend to the pot when the beeper does go off.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
we love ours also.  its worth it just for the hard boiled eggs but we also use it for pot roast.  heres a quick recipe we do for weeknights, easy and good.

~2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 16oz jar green salsa (we use Herdez)
optional - mushrooms, green peppers or okra, whatever you got fresh or frozen

high pressure for 20 minutes, release pressure or let it sit works either way.

we serve over white rice.
View Quote
Tried this last night.  We browned the chicken first and added in some sliced jalapenos.  Outstanding.  Thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 5:50:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top