BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 1:26:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If 54-years of pulling wrenches, resulted in working on KIAs, I'd have a fucking panic attack too.

No offense LittlePony.
View Quote

KIAs ain't about shit OP.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 1:30:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Dude I don't know why it has gotten to me so much, but these last few years I have acquired severe anxiety.  I've seen a lot of bad crap, but for some reason these last few have broken me.
View Quote
There is nothing wrong with going on an SSRI that works and a rescue drug as a back up. Most people get off all that stuff on their own time tables.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 1:32:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Dude I don't know why it has gotten to me so much, but these last few years I have acquired severe anxiety.  I've seen a lot of bad crap, but for some reason these last few have broken me.
View Quote

Have you seen bad things in the past few years as well? If so, it could be the cumulative effect of all bad things.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 1:33:14 AM EDT
[#4]
It has nothing to do with just wrenches. Every person out there no matter what they do is suseptable. I think stress is a big factor.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 1:38:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nothing will destroy your love of cars more than making it a job. Remember that OP.
View Quote

QFT and thank God I'm retired..

Still love a nice car, but 35 years of selling them taught me they're all just pig iron and rubber
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 1:46:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I don’t think it happens to lawyers, but can you imagine, laying there on the floor in your office, heart racing at 160 beats per minute, skin hot and flushed, pain in your chest, rapid shallow breathing, sweat pouring off you, an overwhelming sense of terror and impending doom and lost opportunity…

… all the while you are thinking, “who can I sue for this?”
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've never had one, don't know anyone who had one, never heard of anyone having, every time I read one of these thread I think you guys are going jinx me

I don’t think it happens to lawyers, but can you imagine, laying there on the floor in your office, heart racing at 160 beats per minute, skin hot and flushed, pain in your chest, rapid shallow breathing, sweat pouring off you, an overwhelming sense of terror and impending doom and lost opportunity…

… all the while you are thinking, “who can I sue for this?”

Link Posted: 7/2/2022 6:53:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm a different kind of mechanic, heavy industrial, but I've found over the years that a few epic temper tantrums a year lets the stress out without getting to panic attack level. We old guys get it, and simply stand back and let another old guy let it out. The youngsters let it get to them until it makes them sick. Literally, physically sick. Then they call in for a few days. Let it out. If you keep it bottled up, it will eventually break you.
View Quote

You haven't really lived until you've called a piece of equipment a cunt and thrown a wrench at it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 7:33:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You haven't really lived until you've called a piece of equipment a cunt and thrown a wrench at it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a different kind of mechanic, heavy industrial, but I've found over the years that a few epic temper tantrums a year lets the stress out without getting to panic attack level. We old guys get it, and simply stand back and let another old guy let it out. The youngsters let it get to them until it makes them sick. Literally, physically sick. Then they call in for a few days. Let it out. If you keep it bottled up, it will eventually break you.

Bill Burr - Temper & fixing shit

Are you really working on a car if the wrench hasn't slipped yet, and you haven't blasted your knuckles off something (preferably something sharp and/or rusty) and you haven't yelled out "you cocksucking motherfucker" at least 3 times?
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 7:36:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hope he gets better.
View Quote

Same here. Sounds like  great guy and a hard worker. Both are scarce qualities these days.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 7:42:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Tell your co-worker that he's a good man and a hard worker, and anything else you can think of that he would appreciate. Those qualities are becoming rare these days.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 8:02:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 9:02:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What are you doing to help him?
View Quote

I actually helped the man ever since I started working here 6 years ago or so

I keep all the bullshit modern scan tool and electrical update shit away from him, That in itself is a big load off his mind

He went to part time and lighter work about 2 years ago anyway so we only does like oil changes tire rotations PDI and other such light work

But a lifetime of bullshit definitely weighs on you
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 9:23:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

How does a person live for a place and be trashed by it?
View Quote

He went there when it was an individually owned dealership, the owner was around every day, knew the guys, etc. He tried to keep that mentality after it became corporate and they were all just numbers, and the older guys just got dumped on continuously. They were never fully staffed, most of the other older, experienced people moved on, and he'd get other people's work dumped on him, a lot of times 6 days a week because they didn't have enough staff to cover the weekend rotation. He was mentally, and to an extent, physically trashed when he left, hearing shot, back shot, etc.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 9:30:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I've had one only once and it was very mild, just started breathing heavy and couldn't talk. The funny thing is that it just came out of nowhere, I wasn't particularly stressed or worried about anything, not taking any medications, just out of the blue. Really weird and it has not happened again in over 20 years.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 9:40:15 AM EDT
[#15]
The first and only panic attack I ever witnessed was when a co-worker (who is a pretty tough guy) asked me to take him to the ER.  He thought he was having a heart attack.  He appeared to be in a bad way, so I loaded him up.  He started telling me what he wanted me to do for him after he died.

They kept him overnight for testing and found nothing cardiac-related.

He says a glass or two of red wine at home keeps him on an even keel, and he keeps Xanax on hand for any time he feels even close to having another panic attack.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 11:18:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

"Old broken fellas" in what way broken?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wish him well, but if I'm doing this shit over 40 years, put a bullet in my head. 20 years in and already had my fill. I'm slowly transitioning off wrenches and on a desk. I remember seeing the old broken fellas when I was new, and I thought "do not ever put yourself in a position where you need to do this that long."

Have you never met an old broken man? Physically diminished through labor, disrespected by youth, whose work has alienated him from loved ones, who can not afford to retire but also can not stand the thought of another day, who sits down and eats his lunch staring off into nothing, then lights a cugarette with his shaky old hand and eventually tells you he prays for the day a car slides off the lift releasing him from his hell?

Link Posted: 7/2/2022 11:51:39 AM EDT
[#17]
I've had one panic attack in my life, and it was terrible. I had no idea what was going on until later, but in the moment I thought I was dying. I even thought at one point I was already dead and was cooling down (chills). I also thought maybe there was gas in the room causing me to hallucinate, so my naked ass opened my balcony door and sat there breathing deeply. I'm sure that was an interesting sight for anyone driving by my apartment. It was horrible. I though my heart was gonna explode, it was pumping so hard it was clicking. When I would feel my pulse, it was fairly normal.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 11:57:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You should probably give him a gift so he doesn't quit and they transfer the workload to you.
View Quote

A hat.  Hats are where it is at these days.  He would treasure a hat.  Even curses financial misgivings.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 12:08:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I hope he gets better
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 12:35:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I’ve had several the past few years.  I was dealing with depression and anxiety. Mostly due to work.  Had them driving into work and had to pull off the freeway and wait them out. Had them at work and at home. I had a really bad one at home and my wife finally understood how bad things were.  Told me to quit right then if I needed to. I ended up retiring a few months later otherwise I’m sure I would have had a heart attack, ended up in a mental hospital, or the morgue.  

Financially I really need to work for another 6 years but I think I still need a few more weeks before I start looking. I do plan to be a bit more selective about work conditions.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 4:48:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

He went there when it was an individually owned dealership, the owner was around every day, knew the guys, etc. He tried to keep that mentality after it became corporate and they were all just numbers, and the older guys just got dumped on continuously. They were never fully staffed, most of the other older, experienced people moved on, and he'd get other people's work dumped on him, a lot of times 6 days a week because they didn't have enough staff to cover the weekend rotation. He was mentally, and to an extent, physically trashed when he left, hearing shot, back shot, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How does a person live for a place and be trashed by it?

@TXBBQGuy

Thanks.

This gentleman is certainly in my prayers.

Maybe the past really was the good old days after considering all the good and all the bad are taken into account. I'm in my 50s and don't remember people struggling with all these emotional ailments nearly as much in past times.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 4:53:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

@TXBBQGuy

Thanks.

This gentleman is certainly in my prayers.

Maybe the past really was the good old days after considering all the good and all the bad are taken into account. I'm in my 50s and don't remember people struggling with all these emotional ailments nearly as much in past times.
View Quote

People kept it hidden because it was stigmatized, especially men (still see it, but not as bad). I never spoke at all about what I struggled with until my late 30s when a phone call stopped me from killing myself and I found my way back to Jesus, and I had my first suicidal thoughts/plan at 11, fought depression and anxiety from then on, just self medicating and putting on a front because it just wasn't something guys were supposed to deal with or admit or you "weren't a man".
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 5:23:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Have you never met an old broken man? Physically diminished through labor, disrespected by youth, whose work has alienated him from loved ones, who can not afford to retire but also can not stand the thought of another day, who sits down and eats his lunch staring off into nothing, then lights a cugarette with his shaky old hand and eventually tells you he prays for the day a car slides off the lift releasing him from his hell?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wish him well, but if I'm doing this shit over 40 years, put a bullet in my head. 20 years in and already had my fill. I'm slowly transitioning off wrenches and on a desk. I remember seeing the old broken fellas when I was new, and I thought "do not ever put yourself in a position where you need to do this that long."

@StealthCRF

Not to that extent. Disrespect by youth is a shame. It jogged my memory of a couple of punky young people calling an older person a "scumbag" in the past. In retrospect, I wish I smacked their heads together.

A person suffering to that extent needs to change things to get out of that. It sounds like misery.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 5:45:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

ooooooooooof

at least this old man has the respect of his coworkers
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top