Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Old cast iron (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/9/2024 9:05:03 AM EDT
I inherited a cast iron dutch oven from a distant relative and it's been sitting on a shelf in my basement for 3-4 years.  I would venture to guess that it hasn't been used in 25-30 years prior to becoming mine.  It appears to be very clean but is there anything other than the traditional seasoning process that should be done to prepare it for use after sitting so long?  Looks like a good weekend to make chili.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 9:09:28 AM EDT
[#1]
If there is no heavy rust. Wash it with some dawn and a good scrub. Season it with some crisco and cook in it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 9:48:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Cast iron doesn't have to be the black science folks make it out to be . Scrub it out and toss some bacon in it and you are good to go.

If the piece in question has been sitting in a garage or barn some folks suggest testing for lead . Common thing for old cast iron was to use it for fishing sinkers or toy solders

Link Posted: 1/9/2024 9:55:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nhsport:
Cast iron doesn't have to be the black science folks make it out to be . Scrub it out and toss some bacon in it and you are good to go.

If the piece in question has been sitting in a garage or barn some folks suggest testing for lead . Common thing for old cast iron was to use it for fishing sinkers or toy solders

View Quote

Good point on the lead.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:15:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Clean it, throw in some oil, and cook some hash browns in it.  That is what I have found to be the best way to completely restore the non-stick properties of cast iron.  

Post some photos.  I will help:

Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:56:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Delta10mm:

Good point on the lead.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By nhsport:

Good point on the lead.

So much of a good point, that I wouldn't cook on it without having it tested.

Here's a YouTube video showing one method.  Seems straightforward enough.
Lead Testing Cast Iron Cookware

Link Posted: 1/16/2024 8:53:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Ratbelly:
I inherited a cast iron dutch oven from a distant relative and it's been sitting on a shelf in my basement for 3-4 years.  I would venture to guess that it hasn't been used in 25-30 years prior to becoming mine.  It appears to be very clean but is there anything other than the traditional seasoning process that should be done to prepare it for use after sitting so long?  Looks like a good weekend to make chili.
View Quote

You should NOT use cast iron for chili. Regardless of what they tell you, from experience, it is not recommended.
I did it on a very very well seasoned cast iron pot and the seasoning came off and ruined the pot of chili.
If you want to make chili in a cast iron pot, use an enameled one.

https://www.lodgecastiron.com/cast-iron-101/cast-iron-myths

https://www.southernliving.com/food/kitchen-assistant/what-not-to-cook-in-cast-iron
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 8:58:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 9:46:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Bucket-Back:
I use a crock pot for chili,stainless for boiling water for banana peels and a Wagner or Sydney cast for everything else. I season with Olive Oil when cooking, unless it has fat.
View Quote

I got rid of most of my cast iron and use Lodge Carbon steel pans.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:51:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TEXASROOTERSBROTHER] [#9]
Originally Posted By AWick:

You should NOT use cast iron for chili. Regardless of what they tell you, from experience, it is not recommended.
I did it on a very very well seasoned cast iron pot and the seasoning came off and ruined the pot of chili.

https://www.southernliving.com/food/kitchen-assistant/what-not-to-cook-in-cast-iron
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ratbelly:

No don't cook chili in cast iron ever.
ground elk chili.  I know it's not big chunks but i had lots of it and it worked fine. started out with 3 pounds of bacon ends and pieces to add fat.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 7:44:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TEXASROOTERSBROTHER:

ground elk chili.  I know it's not big chunks but i had lots of it and it worked fine. started out with 3 pounds of bacon ends and pieces to add fat.
View Quote

IF YOU SAY SO
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:13:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TEXASROOTERSBROTHER] [#11]

IF YOU SAY SO
View All Quotes

IF YOU SAY SO

I SAY SO.  That is a 15-gallon cast iron pot that has cooked lots of chili, fish, oysters, shrimp, gumbo and everything else. Chili Had no beans in it. May not be chunky like the ARF seems to want it but it disappeared just the same. When I buy chili meat, I like a 1/2-inch plate grind but even that does not work for the arf who want one-inch cubes, they cannot seem to understand that ground meat is cut with knives in chunks by a machine.  I'm on a cooking team that does a large stew cook every year and it is cut by a large grinder with a one-inch kidney shaped plate and a single knife blade and it really works great.

My point was cast iron is fine for cooking chili.

We can argue the rest anytime but as far as chili in cast iron that is proven science. If we can prove science.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:36:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I believe the argument with chili is that if you are putting in tomatoes, you’ll have the risk of removing the seasoning. Unless it is a very seasoned Dutch oven.

I think I would cook a beef stew in it first, or a pot roast.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 2:02:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By NotMrWizard:
I believe the argument with chili is that if you are putting in tomatoes, you’ll have the risk of removing the seasoning. Unless it is a very seasoned Dutch oven.

View Quote

The contention is that one guy says it removed the seasoning, while another guy posted pictures showing that it did not.

Then the first guy ignores the proof laid before everyone's eyes and doubles down on his ego.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 4:31:26 PM EDT
[#14]

I SAY SO.  That is a 15-gallon cast iron pot that has cooked lots of chili, fish, oysters, shrimp, gumbo and everything else. Chili Had no beans in it. May not be chunky like the ARF seems to want it but it disappeared just the same. When I buy chili meat, I like a 1/2-inch plate grind but even that does not work for the arf who want one-inch cubes, they cannot seem to understand that ground meat is cut with knives in chunks by a machine.  I'm on a cooking team that does a large stew cook every year and it is cut by a large grinder with a one-inch kidney shaped plate and a single knife blade and it really works great.

We can argue the rest anytime but as far as chili in cast iron that is proven science. If we can prove science.
View Quote

Prolonged cooking of acidic foods will strip some of the seasoning from the pan. Where does it go? Into your food.
There is NO GETTING AROUND IT. It is SCIENCE, CHEMISTRY, and you can not deny or cheat it.

No, cooking chili (acidic foods) in cast iron is NOT fine. If it was fine, there would be NO ARTCLES tell us to avoid it.
In addition, cooking in unseasoned cast iron releases trace amounts of molecules from the metal can loosen and leach into the food

So there you go. Been there, done it, ruined a batch of chili, and stripped the seasoning clean off my seasoned skillet.

Art
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 4:32:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AWick] [#15]
Originally Posted By tree-hugger:

The contention is that one guy says it removed the seasoning, while another guy posted pictures showing that it did not.

Then the first guy ignores the proof laid before everyone's eyes and doubles down on his ego.
View Quote

Prolonged cooking of acidic foods will strip some of the seasoning from the pan. Where does it go? Into your food.
There is NO GETTING AROUND IT. It is SCIENCE, CHEMISTRY, and you can not deny or cheat it.

No ego involved. Been there, done it, and then wondered why it happened. Did the research and will never do it again.

Art
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 4:35:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By NotMrWizard:

View Quote

Winner! The acidic food eats at the seasoning and loosens it up. Where does it go?
It is not Houdini.. It goes into the food.

Art
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 6:26:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TEXASROOTERSBROTHER] [#17]

No, cooking chili (acidic foods) in cast iron is NOT fine. If it was fine, there would be NO ARTCLES tell us to avoid it.
In addition, cooking in unseasoned cast iron releases trace amounts of molecules from the metal can loosen and leach into the food

So there you go. Been there, done it, ruined a batch of chili, and stripped the seasoning clean off my seasoned skillet.

Art
View All Quotes

Art

How is chili acidic?  Chili does not have tomatoes in it.? Right?
Yet I transgress, that chili in the photos has 14.5 ounces of tomato sauce for each 5 pounds of meat. That batch was about 33 pounds of meat.

So I have given you proof that chili can be cooked in cast iron and chili is not supposed to have tomato products in it to start with.
Don’t believe everything you read
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 6:29:12 PM EDT
[#18]
On top of that iron will not hurt you and you receive iron from even seasoned cast iron.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 6:43:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Yet I transgress, that chili in the photos has 14.5 ounces of tomato sauce for each 5 pounds of meat. That batch was about 33 pounds of meat.

So I have given you proof that chili can be cooked in cast iron and chili is not supposed to have tomato products in it to start with.
View Quote

You can make anything YOU want to make. DO NOT ARGUE SCIENCE. You will lose every time.

The acidic content is the tomato sauce.

Real chili has tomatoes in it.  Chili, also referred to as chili con carne is a hearty beef stew made with spices, peppers, meat, tomatoes, and beans (in some cases). Most homemade chili recipes are made up of the same basic ingredients like ground beef, onion, spices, beans, and some type of tomato product.

Traditional Texas-style chili is usually made without beans or tomatoes, and it can be great, but that's just one regional variant.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 6:49:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AWick] [#20]
On top of that iron will not hurt you and you receive iron from even seasoned cast iron.
View Quote

No you do not receive iron from seasoned cast iron pans. Seasoning is a layer of carbonized oil that's been baked onto your cast iron pan,
forming a protective layer on top of your cookware. It's what gives your skillet a natural, easy-release finish and makes cooking and cleaning a breeze.
The more you cook in your cast iron, the thicker this layer of oil becomes.

END OF DISCUSSION on that one.

Let's be clear...
1. The taste of your chili will change from the chemical reaction with the cast iron (unwanted metallic flavors)
2. The color of your chili will change.

Friends do not let friends cook acidic food in cast iron

Do as you please and enjoy your chili with "extra seasoning"

CLASS DISMISSED
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 7:37:01 PM EDT
[#21]

No you do not receive iron from seasoned cast iron pans. Seasoning is a layer of carbonized oil that's been baked onto your cast iron pan,
forming a protective layer on top of your cookware. It's what gives your skillet a natural, easy-release finish and makes cooking and cleaning a breeze.

Let's be clear...
1. The taste of your chili will change from the chemical reaction with the cast iron (unwanted metallic flavors)

CLASS DISMISSED
View All Quotes

Let's be clear...

CLASS DISMISSED

One of the benefits of cast iron is the iron you receive. If you cook on cast iron for a while you will notice smells coming from the pan that are from past cooks. If you cook with a large percentage of acidic ingredients you are not cooking chili.
If you want to be schooled give me a call I can help you get over your science.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 8:13:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AWick] [#22]
Send me your number and I will give you a Chemistry, chili, and cooking lesson as well.

No, you are wrong. You are smelling the seasoning. Personally I have NEVER smelled it. IF YOU SAY SO applies to this as well

Seasoning is a layer of carbonized oil that's been baked onto your cast iron pan,

You are receiving NO cast iron. If you were, you would have a metallic taste in your food. Do you taste metal?

One of the benefits of cast iron is the iron you receive. If you cook on cast iron for a while you will notice smells coming from the pan that are from past cooks. If you cook with a large percentage of acidic ingredients you are not cooking chili.
If you want to be schooled give me a call I can help you get over your science.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 8:23:39 PM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes

I never said you can't cook chili in cast iron. I said it was not recommended. Nod if you agree

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 9:09:10 AM EDT
[#24]

I never said you can't cook chili in cast iron. I said it was not recommended. Nod if you agree

View All Quotes

Sorry I did not check your join date/post count sooner.
Goodby
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 8:15:54 PM EDT
[#25]

Sorry I did not check your join date/post count sooner.
Goodby
View Quote

AMF
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 8:31:39 PM EDT
[#26]
If there is no heavy rust. Wash it with some dawn and a good scrub. Season it with some crisco and cook in it.
View Quote

Dawn!  Nasty shit….leaves a terrible stinky residue…!  It’s horrible stuff..  leaves a stinky residue in plastic and on glass & metal.

I’m allergic to scents, if’n you don’t care…so be it…nasty, nasty…I can tell if store bought food is prepped with dawn, or another soap that has a scent.  Yuck!

Seriously, hot, hot water, soak, 10 minutes, clean with a scour pad…rinse well, grease, (olive oil, lard, bacon grease, sour any of the different oils/grease that people recommend), no smell, depending upon what you decide to us.  Rinse well, dry and lightly oil with a cloth, set on fire until it just barely starts to smoke. Wipe again and, you are good to go.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 9:18:20 PM EDT
[#27]
wait, first chili, now Dawn?

Link Posted: 1/19/2024 4:18:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AWick] [#28]
Originally Posted By sywagon:

View Quote

Total disaster in the making

See the chili in the pictures?
You can see the seasoning...
TEXASROOTERSBROTHER ran away in a huff
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 5:59:36 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

I know first a low post count 24 troll and now hate for a dish washing soap.
WTF
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 6:44:24 AM EDT
[#30]
I don't do tomato sauces in my cast iron stuff either.  While I am sure a very well seasoned pot could tolerate it I don't really see the need when I have plenty of other types of cookware to choose from.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 7:31:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Test for lead just in case.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 1:25:30 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

You seem... familiar.

Are we still doing that?
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 1:29:53 PM EDT
[#33]
I cook chili in my cast iron all the time. I've never had a problem with the pan or the chili. I don't put any tomato products in my chili, though - because I don't want to l make baby Jesus cry.

In process:
Attachment Attached File

Done:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 3:16:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By gearjammer351:
I cook chili in my cast iron all the time. I've never had a problem with the pan or the chili. I don't put any tomato products in my chili, though - because I don't want to l make baby Jesus cry.

In process:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/252069/IMG_20231010_173515527_HDR_jpg-3099613.JPG

Done:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/252069/IMG_20231010_193142611_HDR_jpg-3099621.JPG
View Quote
/
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 4:50:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By BFskinner:
I don't do tomato sauces in my cast iron stuff either.  While I am sure a very well seasoned pot could tolerate it I don't really see the need when I have plenty of other types of cookware to choose from.
View Quote

Very well seasoned or not... the acid causes the seasoning to breakdown. It ends up in your food.
Nope that aint peppa
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 4:51:10 PM EDT
[#36]

You seem... familiar.

Are we still doing that?
View Quote

Well I am all over the internet.
Doing what?
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#37]

In process:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/252069/IMG_20231010_173515527_HDR_jpg-3099613.JPG

Done:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/252069/IMG_20231010_193142611_HDR_jpg-3099621.JPG
View Quote

Looks like soup to me
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 4:53:03 PM EDT
[#38]

I know first a low post count 24 troll and now hate for a dish washing soap.
WTF
View Quote

Seriously?
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:22:11 AM EDT
[#39]

Looks like soup to me
View Quote

You need to make an appointment with an optometrist, sir.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 6:42:57 PM EDT
[#40]

Seriously?
View Quote
Hang in there man - GD takes a minute to catch on to. Being right is little help and if you're looking for people to change their minds and agree with you - for that it is the last place to come.

I will say I do not make tomato based sauces in cast iron or carbon steel. I don't have any concern about a little seasoning getting in there because it is inert and you're way over stating that if you think it ruins a dish. If acidic sauces manage to get in contact with the metal I don't like that flavor. That is actually good for you though because you get little iron through the seasoning and on exposed metal you get much more iron with an acidic sauce. Iron doesn't taste good in water or food though it is good for you. I do use vinegar and mustard marinades for roasted potatoes and put those in a seasoned carbon steel roasting pan all the time. Why? Because it is still delicious and the roasting pan is better than anything else for browning it and giving it umami. It is a little rough on the seasoning but it doesn't wear through and that is all that I care. And note carbon steel has more iron in spite of the name.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:47:29 PM EDT
[#41]
I know this: my Etoufee is going to be made in stainless and/or enameled iron.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 9:19:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TEXASROOTERSBROTHER] [#42]
Hang in there man - GD takes a minute to catch on to. Being right is little help and if you're looking for people to change their minds and agree with you - for that it is the last place to come.

I will say I do not make tomato based sauces in cast iron or carbon steel. I don't have any concern about a little seasoning getting in there because it is inert and you're way over stating that if you think it ruins a dish. If acidic sauces manage to get in contact with the metal I don't like that flavor. That is actually good for you though because you get little iron through the seasoning and on exposed metal you get much more iron with an acidic sauce. Iron doesn't taste good in water or food though it is good for you. I do use vinegar and mustard marinades for roasted potatoes and put those in a seasoned carbon steel roasting pan all the time. Why? Because it is still delicious and the roasting pan is better than anything else for browning it and giving it umami. It is a little rough on the seasoning but it doesn't wear through and that is all that I care. And note carbon steel has more iron in spite of the name.
View All Quotes

Seriously?

Fum duck says cooking chili in cast iron is no go.
What he should have said is cooking a large percentage of ingredients high in acid in cast iron is a no go.
Cooking chili does not require any tomatoes or sauce.
Many people in Texas would say it is an abomination to put any tomatoes or tomatoes sauce in chili.
That 15 gallon pot with about 33 pounds of meat has 2.7 quarts of tomatoes sauce in the recipe. If a purist, it could easily be left out.
Pictures posted to prove.
Fum doubles down.
Fum is a know it all.
Fum don't know jack about chili or cast iron.
Fum is low post count troll
Fum is ignored
Aint got time for Fum.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 9:27:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Get rid of the film of rat urine and poop and go to town.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 9:42:48 AM EDT
[#44]

Don't believe everything you read
View Quote
The peppers themselves are acidic. Not as much as tomatoes though. It's just meat soup without those.

I think not using the same pot for the same thing all the time and switching it up with deep fried chicken once in a while will probably fix that seasoning right up.

Besides, who doesn't like to mess around and try to fix their seasoning?
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 9:45:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sywagon] [#45]

What he should have said is cooking a large percentage of ingredients high in acid in cast iron is a no go.
Many people in Texas would say it is an abomination to put any tomatoes or tomatoes sauce in chili.
That 15 gallon pot with about 33 pounds of meat has 2.7 quarts of tomatoes sauce in the recipe. If a purist, it could easily be left out.
Fum doubles down.
Fum is a know it all.
Fum is ignored
Aint got time for Fum.
View All Quotes

Seriously?

Fum doubles down.
Fum is a know it all.
Fum is ignored
Aint got time for Fum.

I'd eat your chili for sure. No tomatoes in mine either, though not from Texas -

Link Posted: 1/28/2024 2:45:20 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

20/20 vision. Thanks for the suggestion though
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 2:47:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AWick] [#47]

Fum doubles down.
Fum is a know it all.
Fum is ignored
Aint got time for Fum.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/28/2024 3:10:50 PM EDT
[#48]
I aways threw old cast iron into a bonfire and let it glow as the first step.
Turkey fryer gets same result.. Plus 1, tomato sauce is rough on your finish.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:25:05 AM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

Oh, ok - then you're just an idiot.

Thanks for the clarification.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 12:02:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Texans arguing is like watching gays in a slap fight.............
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Old cast iron (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top