Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2021 8:48:34 AM EDT
Used to fart around with old iMac units and picked up an early 2008 24" a month or so ago.
Nothing special , 320GB HD , 4GB RAM , does fine for surfing , YT etc.
It was running Yosemite and I messed around and got it upgraded to El Capitan.
Almost everything works fine except a stupid online game I play that runs dead slow (as it did with Yosemite).

From doing some research I found the best way to speed it up was to install an SSD , so a 250GB 'kit' was ordered and it will get here today.
Also understand that it's better to clone the old HDD and load it once the SSD is installed.

Question is that I have Yosemite on a flash drive and will this work to load the OS and upgrade from there or should I pick up an external HD and clone the old one before removing it ?

Yeah it's old , don't care. For what I have into it including the SSD kit I don't mind the machine at all.
RAM can be upgraded another 2GB but also understand that won't help much.

Thoughts ?
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 9:38:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Thoughts ?
View Quote

for the hours you'll spend messing around with it you'd be better off delivering pizzas for some extra cash and buying something from this century.

in my albeit limited experience with old macs the planned obsolesce kicks in around the 5-7 year range and if you get to 10 apple says fuck off.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 9:44:21 AM EDT
[#2]
SSD ain’t gonna help an online game
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 9:45:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Clone the old drive.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 10:13:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Clone the old drive.
View Quote

Thanks , I'm leaning this way.

Should I use an external HD or something like a 64GB USB stick ?
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 10:16:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

for the hours you'll spend messing around with it you'd be better off delivering pizzas for some extra cash and buying something from this century.

in my albeit limited experience with old macs the planned obsolesce kicks in around the 5-7 year range and if you get to 10 apple says fuck off.
View Quote

Funny guy.

It will take less than an hour to swap out the hard drive and maybe another hour to set everything up.

I don't deliver pizza's and you fail at math.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 10:42:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I love vintage computing and if I didn't want to spend my offtime doing what I do at work, fuck with computer shit, I'd be building vintage systems.  

However I can't see using a 13 year old system for real work but if it works for you go with it.  A SSD would be the biggest boost I can think of.  On an non mac I'd just use closing software to copy the OS to the new drive.  On a mac no idea.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 10:47:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks , I'm leaning this way.

Should I use an external HD or something like a 64GB USB stick ?
View Quote

I'd use an external dock or drive coupler and clone the old drive right onto the new SSD.

I've also been known to simply install a new drive in the old system, and clone it in situ, then just remove the old drive - you may or may not have sufficient SATA internal connectors to do so on an old iMac, though, which would make a USB external dock a better choice. Many ca. 2007/2008 systems still used IDE for the optical drive, while having gently made the leap to SATA for the boot drive. For that matter make sure the drive you're trying to replace is in fact SATA, since I don't think you can find many IDE SSDs.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 10:48:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I love vintage computing and if I didn't want to spend my offtime doing what I do at work, fuck with computer shit, I'd be building vintage systems.  

However I can't see using a 13 year old system for real work but if it works for you go with it.  A SSD would be the biggest boost I can think of.
View Quote

It's been a hobby off and on since the 90's.
Not a work system at all , mainly a surfer.

Always impressed with the graphics of these machines though.
The one and only game I play is Thug Life on FB. It's slow on my WIN based laptop , much slower on the iMac.
Hoping the SSD will speed it up some.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 10:50:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I have read where guys have upgraded old iMacs with an external SSD and ran the OS on the external drive. Plug it in, clone it and run it. Well, it was a bit more complicated but that's kind of it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'd use an external dock or drive coupler and clone the old drive right onto the new SSD.

I've also been known to simply install a new drive in the old system, and clone it in situ, then just remove the old drive - you may or may not have sufficient SATA internal connectors to do so on an old iMac, though, which would make a USB external dock a better choice. Many ca. 2007/2008 systems still used IDE for the optical drive, while having gently made the leap to SATA for the boot drive. For that matter make sure the drive you're trying to replace is in fact SATA, since I don't think you can find many IDE SSDs.
View Quote

It is a 320GB SATA drive.

Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 10:57:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Dagger

Installing an SSD will make booting up and launching of applications a lot faster, but for that game, if it was running fine on the previous OS version, then suddenly it slow as hell with the new OS version, leads me to believe it may be a graphics driver issue.
Might be possible the new OS graphics driver simply doesn't support the GPU anymore.
Check the graphics driver versions. Read up on any documentation it may have.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 10:58:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Everymac has all the specs on that machine. Could be useful.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:00:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Dagger

Installing an SSD will make booting up and launching of applications a lot faster, but for that game, if it was running fine on the previous OS version, then suddenly it slow as hell with the new OS version, leads me to believe it may be a graphics driver issue.
Might be possible the new OS graphics driver simply doesn't support the GPU anymore.
Good luck.
View Quote

There was no change in the game with the OS upgrade.
Cursory research says the original HD is too slow , so that's why the SSD is going in.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:02:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Everymac has all the specs on that machine. Could be useful.
View Quote

Thanks , already use that site and have done so for years.
It is helpful.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:02:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Funny guy.

It will take less than an hour to swap out the hard drive and maybe another hour to set everything up.

I don't deliver pizza's and you fail at math.
View Quote

Pizza's what? Pizza has what?
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:08:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Dagger

Good luck.
View Quote

Doing that now , thanks !
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:12:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Dagger

Good luck.
View Quote

Hmmmm...

" Since Radeon HD 2600 PRO does not support DirectX 11 or DirectX 12, it might not be able to run all the latest games "
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:14:36 AM EDT
[#18]
While adding the SSD will likely be a nice QoL improvement overall, it likely won't help with your Facebook game. Those web browser based ports aren't the most efficient to begin with. If you want to confirm this, open up Activity Monitor and watch the various tabs while playing the game. Unless you are seeing large amounts of Read in/sec and Writes out/sec, the SSD will likely do nothing for the game. I'm guessing more than anything you'll see high CPU loads from the browser rendering.

You could potentially try a different browser to see if it improves. Some of them render those games differently and you may find that it runs better running in Firefox over Safari, for example.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:15:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Hmmmm...

" Since Radeon HD 2600 PRO does not support DirectX 11 or DirectX 12, it might not be able to run all the latest games "
View Quote

OS X doesn't support DirectX at all, and even if it was for OpenGL it would either work or not. It wouldn't just work slowly.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:24:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

OS X doesn't support DirectX at all, and even if it was for OpenGL it would either work or not. It wouldn't just work slowly.
View Quote

That's the confusing part.
Guess I'll find out when the SSD gets tucked in.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:32:06 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a couple iMacs of that vintage, you really don't want to be using a MacOS that old.
I went a similar route in terms of replacing the HDD with SSD, but instead of trying to get by with an already painfully obsolete MacOS release, I simply installed desktop Ubuntu derivates on them, like Mint.
You can still get decent performance out of them if all they're used for is internet browsing, music streaming, etc, and other than a cheap SSD you need nothing else.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:49:51 AM EDT
[#22]
I use SuperDuper to clone and backup my drives.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:57:46 AM EDT
[#23]
I upgraded my ram from 4 to 6gb on my 2008 mac.  I believe the celeron processor which you most likely have is holding you back considerably.
You are up a creek.  

On the plus side, many refurbished Mac's are available online for a few hundred bucks.

Macofalltrades.com
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 12:09:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Whelp.

SSD is installed and up and running.
Tried using SuperDuper to clone the old HD to the SSD and it didn't work , not even the trial would help unless I paid for a registration fee.
Went with Carbon Copy Clone (free) and it worked like a charm , got it from Bombich dot com (LOL).
It mirrored the old drive with all updates etc , just had to crack the machine open and use the adapter that came with the kit.
Everything fit well and it took about an hour to do the job.

The good is that this old machine is MUCH faster , I suspect the old HD was on its way out.
The not so good is the internet game I mess with is about 25% faster , but I'll live with it.

The bad is I picked up a PNY 500GB SSD to use as an external drive and I couldn't get it to work (the patch cable that came with it helped with the cloning process though).
It's going back to Walmart for a refund.

All in all , I now have $145 tied up in this iMac.
Fucking thing is huge compared to the laptop I've been using.

Thanks for all the advice !

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top