Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2021 9:39:41 PM EDT
but, I really really like my D4.    

The new high school football season is just around the corner, and I'm all set with my lens........  a Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8.     Not sure how long I'll last hand holding it, but,  am looking hard at buying a heavy duty monopod for when my arm goes numb.

Anyway, I think the low light/high ISO capabilities of the Z6 are a step or two up from the D4, but man, it's just fun to rip off pics with the D4.    As I've always said, I'm not a photographer, but merely a point and shoot guy with ok gear.    

Probably gonna take both cameras, with the Z6 coupled to the Sigma, and the D4 with my Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 G2.     I really like the light weight of the 70-200 lenses, but that 300mm blowed out bokeh really looks fab.

Just rambling and starting to get pumped with the new football season right around the corner.

Last weekend we went to watch one of our cousins play softball.   Had to shoot thru the fence wire with the D4/Tamron, but still had a great time.   The crowd was big and the teams were really good.   My cousin can really rip.    
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 9:57:22 PM EDT
[#1]
How do you like that Tamron 70-200? I know someone with a crop sensor Nikon who is looking for a lens for this very thing: softball and ideally sometimes indoor sports like volleyball or basketball.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 10:17:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How do you like that Tamron 70-200? I know someone with a crop sensor Nikon who is looking for a lens for this very thing: softball and ideally sometimes indoor sports like volleyball or basketball.
View Quote

For the price, I think it's excellent.   It has really good reviews and I have to agree with them.   Coming up on 4 years since I've owned it, and it is easily my fav lens.    The 70-200 range is really versatile, and the Tamron never disappoints me.

Link Posted: 7/14/2021 7:25:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

For the price, I think it's excellent.   It has really good reviews and I have to agree with them.   Coming up on 4 years since I've owned it, and it is easily my fav lens.    The 70-200 range is really versatile, and the Tamron never disappoints me.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neat - thanks for the info, I’ll pass it along!
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 4:42:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Btw, if you're looking for an insanely good performing monopod for big lenses and need stability, this is what I use.  Although the 4 section gets 15" higher if you're a tall person or need high angle stability.  I threw an arca ball head on it strictly for tilt use (I didn't know tilt only heads existed for monopods when I bought it) and use the fluid foot to pan.  Works great until around freezing temps, if that's an issue.  Any fluid head/foot I've tried gets weird around then.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 7/15/2021 8:43:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Btw, if you're looking for an insanely good performing monopod for big lenses and need stability, this is what I use.  Although the 4 section gets 15" higher if you're a tall person or need high angle stability.  I threw an arca ball head on it strictly for tilt use (I didn't know tilt only heads existed for monopods when I bought it) and use the fluid foot to pan.  Works great until around freezing temps, if that's an issue.  Any fluid head/foot I've tried gets weird around then.

www.amazon.com/dp/B01MG571Y5

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/41bPP+Y4DgL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
View Quote

Looks like a great monopod, but not sure how mobile it would be.    As much as I like the Sigma 120-300mm lens, it IS heavy, and I really need to get out and lug it around BEFORE football, and see if I can stand to carry it around for a couple hours.  

My Tamron won't give me the killer bokeh the Sigma will, but man, that lens is sooooooo good (for the money, anyway), and, it doesn't weigh 50 pounds like the Sigma.    

Anyway, as far as monopods go, am leaning more towards a simple "stick" type, one that would be easy to move with.   But, will look over your suggestion.......THANKS!!!!  
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 9:19:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Looks like a great monopod, but not sure how mobile it would be.    As much as I like the Sigma 120-300mm lens, it IS heavy, and I really need to get out and lug it around BEFORE football, and see if I can stand to carry it around for a couple hours.  

My Tamron won't give me the killer bokeh the Sigma will, but man, that lens is sooooooo good (for the money, anyway), and, it doesn't weigh 50 pounds like the Sigma.    

Anyway, as far as monopods go, am leaning more towards a simple "stick" type, one that would be easy to move with.   But, will look over your suggestion.......THANKS!!!!  
View Quote

It comes with a regular foot too, or they make just straight regular foot ones. I just like the fluid foot for extra stability.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 8:01:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

www.amazon.com/dp/B01MG571Y5

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/41bPP+Y4DgL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
View Quote

That's the same pod I have (4 section), ball head is the Pergear BH3 that NP recommended a while back.  The head's no RRS thing, but it works very well on a monopod where it really doesn't have to support the full weight of the camera/lens all the time.

ETA, I thought long and hard about the simple stick pods, but the length adjustability is critical for ease of use.  Mine has the fluid foot as well, which is the shiznit for shooting panning subjects, but is also removable leaving the usual spike/cap.

Link Posted: 7/20/2021 12:58:51 PM EDT
[#8]
OP, can you compare the D4 to the 850?

Unless I'm mistaken, the 850 has a larger processor yet the D4 is much more expensive.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 8:44:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Unless I'm mistaken, the 850 has a larger processor yet the D4 is much more expensive.
View Quote

The D4 is a full pro level camera while the D850 is a 'prosumer' grade.  That said, the D850 is ~7.5 years newer with all the tech that comes with it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:35:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

As NorthPolar said, the D850 is a much newer camera than the D4.

For my type of shooting that I enjoy (high school football), I still really haven't found the "perfect" camera that fits my budget.   High school football lighting can be really bad, and you need a camera that does high ISO really well.    I haven't used the D4 in this situation (yet), but I don't really think it will be much better than my D750 that I have been using, which is actually pretty good in low light.  I do, however, like the big battery, the big camera feel, the super fast shooting, and, the massive buffer.  

I still have these cameras......the D4, the D750, and now have the Z6.

Am hoping the Z6 does better with "auto white balance", or whatever u call it.  I haven't mastered manually setting my camera to the correct white balance, and am hoping the auto white balance in the Z6 does better than my trusty D750.    So far, the one thing I am disappointed in with the Z6 is the battery life.   I've never had a mirrorless camera before, and am surprised how fast it drains the battery compared to my DSLR cameras.     I do have 4 good batteries, tho.  

I've never owned a D850, but for my type of shooting, I think it would be better than my D4 in low light situations.   Not sure if I answered your question.......I'm just a point and shoot guy, not a photographer.    

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top