Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM

Official cyclist thread (Page 21 of 26)

Previous Page
/ 26
Next Page
3/19/2026 3:33:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Today will be my first true Driveway race for the season.  I miss last week due to work.  But our team is the points leader already.  It is good to have a 19 year old that is a State Champion on the team.
Living in the free state of Texas
3/19/2026 7:09:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Fourman:
Here is day 2 of Pace Bend...After this race my team has the GC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffEj_R9h2ZM
View Quote


The heads up display with the video is cool as hell.

Id cause a big ass accident riding that close to others at that speed




Ride report? I thought the ones I tried were spongy but they were on a rental bike so may not have been bleed correctly.

How did installation go, are they easy to bleed?
3/19/2026 7:41:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Ascent-][Edited] [#3]
Quote History
Originally Posted By AgeOne:


The heads up display with the video is cool as hell.

Id cause a big ass accident riding that close to others at that speed




Ride report? I thought the ones I tried were spongy but they were on a rental bike so may not have been bleed correctly.

How did installation go, are they easy to bleed?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Originally Posted By AgeOne:
Originally Posted By Fourman:
Here is day 2 of Pace Bend...After this race my team has the GC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffEj_R9h2ZM


The heads up display with the video is cool as hell.

Id cause a big ass accident riding that close to others at that speed




Ride report? I thought the ones I tried were spongy but they were on a rental bike so may not have been bleed correctly.

How did installation go, are they easy to bleed?


This is my 3rd pair of Mavens.

I had Maven base on my old enduro bike. Maven Silvers on my new Enduro/Trail bike and these ULT on my Enduro Ebike.


Mavens are my favorite brakes. Tons of power. The older versions were more of an on/off feel. With the new versions (B1). There’s more modulation, lighter brake lever pull weight and if you want the power its there too.

I liked the older versions and now the updated ones are even better.

Once’s I figured the bleeding technique and got them dialed in I loved them. I think they’re easier to bleed than the Shimano, TRP, and heyes I’ve had.

You can pressurized the system to your liking. There is an on/off bleed port on the caliper. If they ever feel spongy to me I’ll lever bleed them and it takes care of it.

They do take some getting used to with how powerful they’re. It’s pretty easy to lock the rear up. I’ve never had a situation with them where I was thinking I needed more brake.

The install was super easy the kit comes with the adaptor for 200mm rotors, bleed block, pad separator, multiple barb/bulb and all the mounting hardware. They were pre-bled. The rear cable I shortened I did a lever bleed and it was good to go.

Edit. The other two sets.
Attached File

Attached File

3/20/2026 12:29:21 AM EDT
[#4]
First ride on new bike.

I agree with the mavens.

Attached File
3/20/2026 6:11:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quote History
Originally Posted By -Ascent-:


This is my 3rd pair of Mavens.

I had Maven base on my old enduro bike. Maven Silvers on my new Enduro/Trail bike and these ULT on my Enduro Ebike.


Mavens are my favorite brakes. Tons of power. The older versions were more of an on/off feel. With the new versions (B1). There’s more modulation, lighter brake lever pull weight and if you want the power its there too.

I liked the older versions and now the updated ones are even better.

Once’s I figured the bleeding technique and got them dialed in I loved them. I think they’re easier to bleed than the Shimano, TRP, and heyes I’ve had.

You can pressurized the system to your liking. There is an on/off bleed port on the caliper. If they ever feel spongy to me I’ll lever bleed them and it takes care of it.

They do take some getting used to with how powerful they’re. It’s pretty easy to lock the rear up. I’ve never had a situation with them where I was thinking I needed more brake.

The install was super easy the kit comes with the adaptor for 200mm rotors, bleed block, pad separator, multiple barb/bulb and all the mounting hardware. They were pre-bled. The rear cable I shortened I did a lever bleed and it was good to go.

Edit. The other two sets.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/163367/IMG_8483_jpeg-3732525.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/163367/IMG_8484_jpeg-3732526.JPG
View Quote


Interesting, the ones I tried definitely had some air or something then, they felt vague and inconsistent. But again they were on kind of a beat up rental. Could have even been a slightly bent rotor causing it.

Im a Magura guy. The modulation is right between old sram and shimano with plenty of power.

However one of my bikes has xtr levers and mt7 calipers... the shigura set up, stupid amounts of power but still a bit more modulation than shimano. Its my favorite set up now.
3/20/2026 8:35:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quote History
Originally Posted By AgeOne:


The heads up display with the video is cool as hell.

Id cause a big ass accident riding that close to others at that speed




Ride report? I thought the ones I tried were spongy but they were on a rental bike so may not have been bleed correctly.

How did installation go, are they easy to bleed?
View Quote
Thanks it takes work to sync everything up but overall it works.  Last night I got a Prime and finished 13th so I have points for the series.  My team mate got 1st yet again.  I hope to post the video in a few days.  My video queue is building right now. lol
Living in the free state of Texas
3/20/2026 9:02:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quote History
Originally Posted By AgeOne:


Interesting, the ones I tried definitely had some air or something then, they felt vague and inconsistent. But again they were on kind of a beat up rental. Could have even been a slightly bent rotor causing it.

Im a Magura guy. The modulation is right between old sram and shimano with plenty of power.

However one of my bikes has xtr levers and mt7 calipers... the shigura set up, stupid amounts of power but still a bit more modulation than shimano. Its my favorite set up now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Originally Posted By AgeOne:
Originally Posted By -Ascent-:


This is my 3rd pair of Mavens.

I had Maven base on my old enduro bike. Maven Silvers on my new Enduro/Trail bike and these ULT on my Enduro Ebike.


Mavens are my favorite brakes. Tons of power. The older versions were more of an on/off feel. With the new versions (B1). There’s more modulation, lighter brake lever pull weight and if you want the power its there too.

I liked the older versions and now the updated ones are even better.

Once’s I figured the bleeding technique and got them dialed in I loved them. I think they’re easier to bleed than the Shimano, TRP, and heyes I’ve had.

You can pressurized the system to your liking. There is an on/off bleed port on the caliper. If they ever feel spongy to me I’ll lever bleed them and it takes care of it.

They do take some getting used to with how powerful they’re. It’s pretty easy to lock the rear up. I’ve never had a situation with them where I was thinking I needed more brake.

The install was super easy the kit comes with the adaptor for 200mm rotors, bleed block, pad separator, multiple barb/bulb and all the mounting hardware. They were pre-bled. The rear cable I shortened I did a lever bleed and it was good to go.

Edit. The other two sets.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/163367/IMG_8483_jpeg-3732525.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/163367/IMG_8484_jpeg-3732526.JPG


Interesting, the ones I tried definitely had some air or something then, they felt vague and inconsistent. But again they were on kind of a beat up rental. Could have even been a slightly bent rotor causing it.

Im a Magura guy. The modulation is right between old sram and shimano with plenty of power.

However one of my bikes has xtr levers and mt7 calipers... the shigura set up, stupid amounts of power but still a bit more modulation than shimano. Its my favorite set up now.



I had the new updated version of the XTs. I tried to like them but mine were inconsistent in cold weather. Then I road the sram motives. I really liked them. They have great modulation and are good for a trail bike.

The issue that led me to mavens on everything was the new Treks you can swop the links out and go from trail to enduro.

So when I would switch it to 160/170mm and take it to the bike park I would want more brake than the XT and Motives provide.
3/20/2026 4:41:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Last nights race...was fun

DRIVEWAY 2026! March 19, 2026 - CAT 3/4

Living in the free state of Texas
3/21/2026 9:04:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Fourman:
Last nights race...was fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mWVWSqchn8
View Quote
Too old for crits.

I miss racing.




License to slouch.

Mitchell!
3/21/2026 9:06:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Milano - San Remo is live on Prime. HBO+



License to slouch.

Mitchell!
3/21/2026 9:23:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Bourbonator:
First ride on new bike.

I agree with the mavens.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/348780/1000004465_jpg-3732666.JPG
View Quote


Sweet Propain. How do you like it?
3/21/2026 9:25:40 AM EDT
[#12]
The new Forbidden Reya XC bike looks pretty sweet.
Attached File
3/21/2026 10:49:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE][Edited] [#13]
Has anyone tried butterfly bars?  I need to get more weight off of my hands due to arthritis in my right wrist.

Either that, or I need bars with about 3 inches of sweep.

Bike is a Trek 7500 hybrid I bought in 2004.



The Bontrager bar is still installed.  I'm tempted to change it to get rid of the accessory rail.

Keep your powder dry, and watch your back trail.

I'm watching my back trail.
3/21/2026 2:07:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GlutealCleft][Edited] [#14]
Quote History
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Has anyone tried butterfly bars?  I need to get more weight off of my hands due to arthritis in my right wrist.

Either that, or I need bars with about 3 inches of sweep.
View Quote


Both a shorter reach and/or a higher stack will put you more upright, taking weight off of the hands.  There are options in different handlebars, in different stems, and also in stem extenders.  Show us what your stem geometry looks like.

Also, "wrist-friendly" bars have more rise in the center and less "upward sweep", and they also have more rearward sweep.  "Buckhorn" handlebars are pretty widely regarded as the most comfortable and wrist-friendly and elbow-friendly, most you'll see are for motorcycles, but they exist for bicycles as well.

Butterflies look like they'd give you the option of more rise in the front or less reach in the rear.
3/21/2026 2:17:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quote History
Originally Posted By GlutealCleft:


Both a shorter reach and/or a higher stack will put you more upright, taking weight off of the hands.  There are options in different handlebars, in different stems, and also in stem extenders.  Show us what your stem geometry looks like.

Also, "wrist-friendly" bars have more rise in the center and less "upward sweep", and they also have more rearward sweep.  "Buckhorn" handlebars are pretty widely regarded as the most comfortable and wrist-friendly, most you'll see are for motorcycles, but they exist for bicycles as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Originally Posted By GlutealCleft:
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Has anyone tried butterfly bars?  I need to get more weight off of my hands due to arthritis in my right wrist.

Either that, or I need bars with about 3 inches of sweep.


Both a shorter reach and/or a higher stack will put you more upright, taking weight off of the hands.  There are options in different handlebars, in different stems, and also in stem extenders.  Show us what your stem geometry looks like.

Also, "wrist-friendly" bars have more rise in the center and less "upward sweep", and they also have more rearward sweep.  "Buckhorn" handlebars are pretty widely regarded as the most comfortable and wrist-friendly, most you'll see are for motorcycles, but they exist for bicycles as well.
I am old school.

Bar width and shoulder width.

I like to breathe.

Slammed is now getting risers in my older age.

I don't get the narrow bar/aero thing.

I like the leverage when dealing with handling. 44cm bars


License to slouch.

Mitchell!
3/21/2026 2:41:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Btw, when Sean Kelly went clipless,

That was when I ditched the straps.

Training for L'Eroica.   These sucked. They still do. Clips/straps





License to slouch.

Mitchell!
3/21/2026 5:10:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quote History
Originally Posted By TheYellowThing:
Too old for crits.

I miss racing.




View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Originally Posted By TheYellowThing:
Originally Posted By Fourman:
Last nights race...was fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mWVWSqchn8
Too old for crits.

I miss racing.




My racing age with USAC is 58 right now....
Living in the free state of Texas
3/21/2026 11:38:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quote History
Originally Posted By -Ascent-:


Sweet Propain. How do you like it?
View Quote


It's a blast! I'm looking forward to getting lighter wheels replacing the saddle, otherwise, it's all I wanted. Even with a longer chainstay/wheelbase, it jumps a lot more readily than my yeti.
3/22/2026 12:53:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE][Edited] [#19]
Originally Posted By TheYellowThing:
Btw, when Sean Kelly went clipless,

That was when I ditched the straps.

Training for L'Eroica.   These sucked. They still do. Clips/straps

View Quote


I removed the toe straps long ago and don't miss them.  I did use them however when they were installed.  Same on my old road bike.

I'll take a photo of the spacers, extension, and bar rotation tomorrow.  Height is good, but I need the grips about 2 or 3 inches farther aft.  Now I can sit more upright with my fingertips on one grip.

I had already planned to move my seat forward.  I don't believe I can go more than a half to 3/4ths of an inch without getting my hips too far forward.

I want to avoid a box full of handlebars that didn't work out.

Keep your powder dry, and watch your back trail.

I'm watching my back trail.
3/22/2026 10:05:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quote History
Originally Posted By AeroE:


I removed the toe straps long ago and don't miss them.  I did use them however when they were installed.  Same on my old road bike.

I'll take a photo of the spacers, extension, and bar rotation tomorrow.  Height is good, but I need the grips about 2 or 3 inches farther after aft.  Now I can sit more upright with my fingertips on one grip.

I had already planned to move my seat forward.  I don't believe I can go more than a half to 3/4ths of an inch without getting my hips too far forward.

I want to avoid a box full of handlebars that didn't work out.

View Quote


be careful moving that seat forward as your also changing your knee deflection. then you end up with a bad wrist and a funky knee.

considering the rise on that bar I don't know if your going to find a lot of options. I know surly makes some bars with a lot of sweep and rise. we had an older rider with a pretty radical bar from them.

alternatively work on core strength to keep from putting so much stress on your hands.
3/22/2026 10:49:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Yesterday I got screwed by Garmin lol.

I went on a ride with a group for 40 miles and we shared a course.  Then after the ride I figure to keep going and rode another 42 miles for 82 total.

When Garmin has a new feature that can trim your ride to just your course.  I was tired and accepted it....and boom...only a 40 mile ride on Garmin and everywhere....kinda sucked.

I do have a screen capture of the livetrack that kinda shows it.

Attached File
Living in the free state of Texas
3/22/2026 12:26:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE][Edited] [#22]
Originally Posted By AgeOne:


be careful moving that seat forward as your also changing your knee deflection. then you end up with a bad wrist and a funky knee.

considering the rise on that bar I don't know if your going to find a lot of options. I know surly makes some bars with a lot of sweep and rise. we had an older rider with a pretty radical bar from them.

alternatively work on core strength to keep from putting so much stress on your hands.
View Quote


The pisiform bone in my right hand has no cartilage between it and adjacent bones.  It's not in direct contact with the handlebar, but bending my wrist or load on my hand makes the constant pain worse.  12 to 14 miles is tolerable, I haven't ridden farther than that recently.

I find myself a little too far forward on the seat in my natural position after riding a while, so I scoot back, but it's not natural.  Moving the seat a half inch may fix that.

I have very little bend in my knee at the bottom of the stroke, barely noticeable.  I'm not changing that part of the set up, knee bend set to the old recommendations piles me up with reduced power and fatigue.  It's terrible.

I set the seat height on our bikes by marking the current setting on the seat posts with a marker, then moving the seats up or down while we were riding and re-marking the location.  Later after several long weekend rides I readjusted just a tiny bit.  The marker makes a simple reference for each adjustment.


Keep your powder dry, and watch your back trail.

I'm watching my back trail.
3/22/2026 10:15:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Playing around with tire fit on my gravel bike since its getting very dry and sandy everywhere I was wanting a little wider than 40s.  My old trek xc has some vittoria barzo 2.1" tires, I measured them and compared to the space on the gravel bike. Looked like it was close enough to try. So I swapped them out and its a fit.

Did a quick ride around the hood and some sandy dirt roads around me, 18psi they feel great. Might be a little slower than the schwalbe g-one it came with but way better grip.

Attached File


I do have a little concern about mud clearance. But thats not typical a big issue out here.

Also damn vittoria, could you find uglier lettering

Quote History
Originally Posted By AeroE:


The pisiform bone in my right hand has no cartilage between it and adjacent bones.  It's not in direct contact with the handlebar, but bending my wrist or load on my hand makes the constant pain worse.  12 to 14 miles is tolerable, I haven't ridden farther than that recently.

I find myself a little too far forward on the seat in my natural position after riding a while, so I scoot back, but it's not natural.  Moving the seat a half inch may fix that.

I have very little bend in my knee at the bottom of the stroke, barely noticeable.  I'm not changing that part of the set up, knee bend set to the old recommendations piles me up with reduced power and fatigue.  It's terrible.

I set the seat height on our bikes by marking the current setting on the seat posts with a marker, then moving the seats up or down while we were riding and re-marking the location.  Later after several long weekend rides I readjusted just a tiny bit.  The marker makes a simple reference for each adjustment.


View Quote


Sounds like a good place to start then.
3/23/2026 12:57:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Fourman:
Last nights race...was fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mWVWSqchn8
View Quote

Looks like everyone is on pretty deep rims. How much elevation change per race?
3/23/2026 9:36:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Bourbonator:

Looks like everyone is on pretty deep rims. How much elevation change per race?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Originally Posted By Bourbonator:
Originally Posted By Fourman:
Last nights race...was fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mWVWSqchn8

Looks like everyone is on pretty deep rims. How much elevation change per race?
I run 40mm during that race and most races.  I train on 60mm HED wheels which are higher end and the same weight.  My 40mm are Hunt with crash protection is the reason I use them.  Most do run 40-60mm now since even cross winds are fine with them (in fact some rim profiles can create forward motion in a cross wind very much like a sail).  That race course is only 50-70 feet at most per lap.
Living in the free state of Texas
3/23/2026 11:08:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bourbonator][Edited] [#26]
How do you like the hunts? Carbon spokes? Was thinking about getting a set of 34 or 44 aerodynamacists. We have hills here, but also a lot of wind. I have a 12 mile out and back I like to do as a metric for race-readiness. Almost 1000 feet of climbing for that 12 miles, and that's my flat route.

I wish specialized had a campy hub for the alpinist clx wheels.

The other option is bora wto. I really enjoy not having to use rim tape with my campy wheels, but they're pricey.
3/23/2026 2:03:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Bourbonator:
How do you like the hunts? Carbon spokes? Was thinking about getting a set of 34 or 44 aerodynamacists. We have hills here, but also a lot of wind. I have a 12 mile out and back I like to do as a metric for race-readiness. Almost 1000 feet of climbing for that 12 miles, and that's my flat route.

I wish specialized had a campy hub for the alpinist clx wheels.

The other option is bora wto. I really enjoy not having to use rim tape with my campy wheels, but they're pricey.
View Quote
So I went cheap on Hunt wheels since the 40mm carbon with steel spokes are around 1450gm.  These are over a year old and not the newest hubs but they have been very solid.  I paid $100 more for the crash protection which does not come with this model like the more expensive ones.  Many people in the pack are starting to race on them due to low cost and crash protection.  They work great.

Going with carbon spokes be careful...I hear the ride is super super stiff.  Steel has that nice flex.  That being said....I seem to always look at carbon spokes wheels now.  Hooked only for me.  In fact Hunt came out with hookless a year ago....and all of them are recalled and they do not make hookless anymore.  I expect hookless on road wheels is going away.
Living in the free state of Texas
3/23/2026 8:37:38 PM EDT
[#28]
I appreciate the insight. My road bike is aluminum, already quite stiff..

Light bicycle also has some really low weight wheels, a little spendier than hunts, but I know exactly no one who's tried them. I guess there always has to be a first.
3/23/2026 10:21:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Bourbonator:
I appreciate the insight. My road bike is aluminum, already quite stiff..

Light bicycle also has some really low weight wheels, a little spendier than hunts, but I know exactly no one who's tried them. I guess there always has to be a first.
View Quote
I know a few that have Light bicycle wheels and like them.  Hunt is just a hard deal to beat IMHO.

Today did 38 miles with 20.22mph average and 1500 feet of climbing....I am getting into the zone for racing.
Living in the free state of Texas
3/23/2026 11:09:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dominion21][Edited] [#30]
Quote History
Originally Posted By AeroE:


The pisiform bone in my right hand has no cartilage between it and adjacent bones.  It's not in direct contact with the handlebar, but bending my wrist or load on my hand makes the constant pain worse.  12 to 14 miles is tolerable, I haven't ridden farther than that recently.

I find myself a little too far forward on the seat in my natural position after riding a while, so I scoot back, but it's not natural.  Moving the seat a half inch may fix that.

I have very little bend in my knee at the bottom of the stroke, barely noticeable.  I'm not changing that part of the set up, knee bend set to the old recommendations piles me up with reduced power and fatigue.  It's terrible.

I set the seat height on our bikes by marking the current setting on the seat posts with a marker, then moving the seats up or down while we were riding and re-marking the location.  Later after several long weekend rides I readjusted just a tiny bit.  The marker makes a simple reference for each adjustment.


View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Originally Posted By AgeOne:


be careful moving that seat forward as your also changing your knee deflection. then you end up with a bad wrist and a funky knee.

considering the rise on that bar I don't know if your going to find a lot of options. I know surly makes some bars with a lot of sweep and rise. we had an older rider with a pretty radical bar from them.

alternatively work on core strength to keep from putting so much stress on your hands.


The pisiform bone in my right hand has no cartilage between it and adjacent bones.  It's not in direct contact with the handlebar, but bending my wrist or load on my hand makes the constant pain worse.  12 to 14 miles is tolerable, I haven't ridden farther than that recently.

I find myself a little too far forward on the seat in my natural position after riding a while, so I scoot back, but it's not natural.  Moving the seat a half inch may fix that.

I have very little bend in my knee at the bottom of the stroke, barely noticeable.  I'm not changing that part of the set up, knee bend set to the old recommendations piles me up with reduced power and fatigue.  It's terrible.

I set the seat height on our bikes by marking the current setting on the seat posts with a marker, then moving the seats up or down while we were riding and re-marking the location.  Later after several long weekend rides I readjusted just a tiny bit.  The marker makes a simple reference for each adjustment.





I have similar wrist issues:  

- no cartilage remaining between the scaphoid and the radius bones:


Attached File



I get by with:

- cortisone injected between the bones 1x a year,
- ibuprofen + acetaminophen before a ride, and
- lidocaine + Valtoren + Penetrex (a DMSO cream) topically.

It works for now.

I’m switching to carbon-fiber bars soon.

Do you think carbon bars will help with my wrists?
3/24/2026 8:37:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: corwin1968][Edited] [#31]
Quote History
Originally Posted By GlutealCleft:


Both a shorter reach and/or a higher stack will put you more upright, taking weight off of the hands.  There are options in different handlebars, in different stems, and also in stem extenders.  Show us what your stem geometry looks like.

Also, "wrist-friendly" bars have more rise in the center and less "upward sweep", and they also have more rearward sweep.  "Buckhorn" handlebars are pretty widely regarded as the most comfortable and wrist-friendly and elbow-friendly, most you'll see are for motorcycles, but they exist for bicycles as well.

Butterflies look like they'd give you the option of more rise in the front or less reach in the rear.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Originally Posted By GlutealCleft:
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Has anyone tried butterfly bars?  I need to get more weight off of my hands due to arthritis in my right wrist.

Either that, or I need bars with about 3 inches of sweep.


Both a shorter reach and/or a higher stack will put you more upright, taking weight off of the hands.  There are options in different handlebars, in different stems, and also in stem extenders.  Show us what your stem geometry looks like.

Also, "wrist-friendly" bars have more rise in the center and less "upward sweep", and they also have more rearward sweep.  "Buckhorn" handlebars are pretty widely regarded as the most comfortable and wrist-friendly and elbow-friendly, most you'll see are for motorcycles, but they exist for bicycles as well.

Butterflies look like they'd give you the option of more rise in the front or less reach in the rear.

I spent years fighting this battle with no success until I got fed up and stuck on my longest, lowest stem and lowest rise handlebars and voila!  It was the most comfortable I had ever been on a bicycle.  The specifics of my physical proportions are such that being bent over at a specific angle and with handlebars at a specific height allow my back and side muscles to support most of my weight, rather than my hands and arms.  It took me years to figure this out.

When I bought my current bike, I sized up to XL to get a long enough reach and then installed a longer stem and slammed the low-rise handlbars and it feels amazing.  

Attached File
Pour over coffee is best coffee.
3/24/2026 9:08:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DDalton][Edited] [#32]
I got a bike fit one time, because I was trying to make sure my seat was in the right place (relative to pedals, I had put a setback post on it, and it felt right, but didn't seem right since the bike wasn't undersized...I have relatively shorter legs and longer torso/arms, so nothing ever fits right), and was putting too much of my overweight self on my hands. The guy did similar, and put in a longer and lower stem,  basically forcing my core to be more active. I mean, it did do that, but I couldn't ride as long because I my core was weak and I have shoulder issues also, so I tweaked it back some and do pretty well now (2900 miles on it last year). I ride FS mtbs, so my position is pretty variable anyway.
3/24/2026 9:21:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Fourman:
I know a few that have Light bicycle wheels and like them.  Hunt is just a hard deal to beat IMHO.

Today did 38 miles with 20.22mph average and 1500 feet of climbing....I am getting into the zone for racing.
View Quote


Nice pace! My current wheels are a hair under 1500 grams, so I'm not swapping unless it's substantially lighter. Not a high priority, either.
3/28/2026 7:07:19 AM EDT
[#34]
More Driveway!

DRIVEWAY 2026! March 26, 2026 - CAT 3/4

Living in the free state of Texas
3/28/2026 8:42:01 AM EDT
[#35]
50hr air can service:

Attached File
Attached File
.

Remember to kick it over, no one will guide you through armagideon time...

.
3/28/2026 9:46:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Fourman:
More Driveway!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYD0iIjom_g
View Quote
I miss racing.


Moontower?  Reference to/from Dazed And Confused (1993) ?
License to slouch.

Mitchell!
3/28/2026 9:48:15 AM EDT
[#37]
It’s warming up here.  Trails should dry out soon.

I’m going to try to get back on the bike if I can find the time.

Pumped my tires up last week
3/31/2026 1:45:44 PM EDT
[#38]
New helmet day.

Fox Rampage RS

Attached File

Attached File

Attached File
4/1/2026 9:19:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Quote History
Originally Posted By TheYellowThing:
I miss racing.


Moontower?  Reference to/from Dazed And Confused (1993) ?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Originally Posted By TheYellowThing:
Originally Posted By Fourman:
More Driveway!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYD0iIjom_g
I miss racing.


Moontower?  Reference to/from Dazed And Confused (1993) ?
Kinda of....Moontower is light towers in Austin:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonlight_tower  
Living in the free state of Texas
4/1/2026 2:32:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bourbonator][Edited] [#40]
My father in law was in Spain for work and got to see campagnolo's new super record electronic drivetrain. He said it was nice, but the atmosphere around it was that if it doesn't sell well, this could be it for campagnolo. Makes sense, though, because if I wanted to go electronic on my road bikes, campy wouldn't even be a consideration.

I'm considering reprioritizing my hobby money to stock up on wear items.. they're becoming difficult enough to find as is.

ETA - misheard or misunderstood him. It's a mech shifter that's ditched their traditional thumb paddle for a programmable button. Still not sure how that works.
4/2/2026 3:37:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quote History



Noice
.

Remember to kick it over, no one will guide you through armagideon time...

.
4/2/2026 9:15:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE][Edited] [#42]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Dominion21:



I have similar wrist issues:  

- no cartilage remaining between the scaphoid and the radius bones:


https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/417478/IMG_8568_jpeg-3735152.JPG


I get by with:

- cortisone injected between the bones 1x a year,
- ibuprofen + acetaminophen before a ride, and
- lidocaine + Valtoren + Penetrex (a DMSO cream) topically.

It works for now.

I’m switching to carbon-fiber bars soon.

Do you think carbon bars will help with my wrists?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Originally Posted By Dominion21:
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Originally Posted By AgeOne:


be careful moving that seat forward as your also changing your knee deflection. then you end up with a bad wrist and a funky knee.

considering the rise on that bar I don't know if your going to find a lot of options. I know surly makes some bars with a lot of sweep and rise. we had an older rider with a pretty radical bar from them.

alternatively work on core strength to keep from putting so much stress on your hands.


The pisiform bone in my right hand has no cartilage between it and adjacent bones.  It's not in direct contact with the handlebar, but bending my wrist or load on my hand makes the constant pain worse.  12 to 14 miles is tolerable, I haven't ridden farther than that recently.

I find myself a little too far forward on the seat in my natural position after riding a while, so I scoot back, but it's not natural.  Moving the seat a half inch may fix that.

I have very little bend in my knee at the bottom of the stroke, barely noticeable.  I'm not changing that part of the set up, knee bend set to the old recommendations piles me up with reduced power and fatigue.  It's terrible.

I set the seat height on our bikes by marking the current setting on the seat posts with a marker, then moving the seats up or down while we were riding and re-marking the location.  Later after several long weekend rides I readjusted just a tiny bit.  The marker makes a simple reference for each adjustment.





I have similar wrist issues:  

- no cartilage remaining between the scaphoid and the radius bones:


https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/417478/IMG_8568_jpeg-3735152.JPG


I get by with:

- cortisone injected between the bones 1x a year,
- ibuprofen + acetaminophen before a ride, and
- lidocaine + Valtoren + Penetrex (a DMSO cream) topically.

It works for now.

I’m switching to carbon-fiber bars soon.

Do you think carbon bars will help with my wrists?


I don't know about the carbon bars, depending on construction (basically number of plies and layup schedule) they could be more flexible than metal bars.

I want bars with a little sweep at an angle that puts my hands in a natural position.  The Nitto68 bars sold by Rivendell look like they would work, but they are expensive and out of stock anyway.

I forgot to post a photo of the current set up on my bike, I'll do that later.

I received a cortisone shot last June when at my second visit to the hand surgeon after 15 months of constant pain.  He just said to come back this coming June for another injection.   That's not what I call fun .
Keep your powder dry, and watch your back trail.

I'm watching my back trail.
4/2/2026 3:42:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quote History
Originally Posted By AeroE:


I don't know about the carbon bars, depending on construction (basically number of plies and layup schedule) they could be more flexible than metal bars.

I want bars with a little sweep at an angle that puts my hands in a natural position.  The Nitto68 bars sold by Rivendell look like they would work, but they are expensive and out of stock anyway.

I forgot to post a photo of the current set up on my bike, I'll do that later.

I received a cortisone shot last June when at my second visit to the hand surgeon after 15 months of constant pain.  He just said to come back this coming June for another injection.   That's not what I call fun .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Originally Posted By Dominion21:
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Originally Posted By AgeOne:


be careful moving that seat forward as your also changing your knee deflection. then you end up with a bad wrist and a funky knee.

considering the rise on that bar I don't know if your going to find a lot of options. I know surly makes some bars with a lot of sweep and rise. we had an older rider with a pretty radical bar from them.

alternatively work on core strength to keep from putting so much stress on your hands.


The pisiform bone in my right hand has no cartilage between it and adjacent bones.  It's not in direct contact with the handlebar, but bending my wrist or load on my hand makes the constant pain worse.  12 to 14 miles is tolerable, I haven't ridden farther than that recently.

I find myself a little too far forward on the seat in my natural position after riding a while, so I scoot back, but it's not natural.  Moving the seat a half inch may fix that.

I have very little bend in my knee at the bottom of the stroke, barely noticeable.  I'm not changing that part of the set up, knee bend set to the old recommendations piles me up with reduced power and fatigue.  It's terrible.

I set the seat height on our bikes by marking the current setting on the seat posts with a marker, then moving the seats up or down while we were riding and re-marking the location.  Later after several long weekend rides I readjusted just a tiny bit.  The marker makes a simple reference for each adjustment.





I have similar wrist issues:  

- no cartilage remaining between the scaphoid and the radius bones:


https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/417478/IMG_8568_jpeg-3735152.JPG


I get by with:

- cortisone injected between the bones 1x a year,
- ibuprofen + acetaminophen before a ride, and
- lidocaine + Valtoren + Penetrex (a DMSO cream) topically.

It works for now.

I’m switching to carbon-fiber bars soon.

Do you think carbon bars will help with my wrists?


I don't know about the carbon bars, depending on construction (basically number of plies and layup schedule) they could be more flexible than metal bars.

I want bars with a little sweep at an angle that puts my hands in a natural position.  The Nitto68 bars sold by Rivendell look like they would work, but they are expensive and out of stock anyway.

I forgot to post a photo of the current set up on my bike, I'll do that later.

I received a cortisone shot last June when at my second visit to the hand surgeon after 15 months of constant pain.  He just said to come back this coming June for another injection.   That's not what I call fun .

The PNW loam carbon bars have a little more backwards sweep than most, 10° vs the standard 7 or 8°. I can tell the difference on longer rides. It sounds like you're looking for more than that, though.
4/2/2026 4:19:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quote History
Originally Posted By TZ250:



Noice
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes


Thanks! I caught it on sale too. I’m pretty pumped.
4/2/2026 5:23:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Current stack of extension, spacers, stem, and handlebars:







An Attempt to show the sweep:



Keep your powder dry, and watch your back trail.

I'm watching my back trail.
4/5/2026 12:52:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Bourbonator:
My father in law was in Spain for work and got to see campagnolo's new super record electronic drivetrain. He said it was nice, but the atmosphere around it was that if it doesn't sell well, this could be it for campagnolo. Makes sense, though, because if I wanted to go electronic on my road bikes, campy wouldn't even be a consideration.

I'm considering reprioritizing my hobby money to stock up on wear items.. they're becoming difficult enough to find as is.

ETA - misheard or misunderstood him. It's a mech shifter that's ditched their traditional thumb paddle for a programmable button. Still not sure how that works.
View Quote
I have seen the new 13 speed Campy and it is super nice....but waaaay out of my price.  The cranks look great...but the Ultra-Torque setup is not really that great.
Living in the free state of Texas
4/5/2026 10:57:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bourbonator][Edited] [#47]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Fourman:
I have seen the new 13 speed Campy and it is super nice....but waaaay out of my price.  The cranks look great...but the Ultra-Torque setup is not really that great.
View Quote


That's an interesting take. What don't you like about ultra torque? I've got an ultra torque bottom bracket and crank from 2007, and while it does creak, there's no play. My brother in law used that bike for a triathlon last summer.

I have a super record/ultra torque crank on my road bike and I think it's great. That said, the only non-campy road drivetrain I have to compare is my wife's 105 Di2 on her Roubaix. My mech campy is quieter, smoother, and faster shifting.
At the price difference, I guess it should be.
4/6/2026 9:42:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Bourbonator:


That's an interesting take. What don't you like about ultra torque? I've got an ultra torque bottom bracket and crank from 2007, and while it does creak, there's no play. My brother in law used that bike for a triathlon last summer.

I have a super record/ultra torque crank on my road bike and I think it's great. That said, the only non-campy road drivetrain I have to compare is my wife's 105 Di2 on her Roubaix. My mech campy is quieter, smoother, and faster shifting.
At the price difference, I guess it should be.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Originally Posted By Bourbonator:
Originally Posted By Fourman:
I have seen the new 13 speed Campy and it is super nice....but waaaay out of my price.  The cranks look great...but the Ultra-Torque setup is not really that great.


That's an interesting take. What don't you like about ultra torque? I've got an ultra torque bottom bracket and crank from 2007, and while it does creak, there's no play. My brother in law used that bike for a triathlon last summer.

I have a super record/ultra torque crank on my road bike and I think it's great. That said, the only non-campy road drivetrain I have to compare is my wife's 105 Di2 on her Roubaix. My mech campy is quieter, smoother, and faster shifting.
At the price difference, I guess it should be.
Hambini has a good article on it.  He is kinda a big expert on BB's and such.  He does not hold back on any mfg.

https://www.hambini.com/teardown-campagnolo-ultra-torque-crankset-mechanics-explained-in-depth/
Living in the free state of Texas
4/6/2026 5:17:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bourbonator][Edited] [#49]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Fourman:
Hambini has a good article on it.  He is kinda a big expert on BB's and such.  He does not hold back on any mfg.

https://www.hambini.com/teardown-campagnolo-ultra-torque-crankset-mechanics-explained-in-depth/
View Quote

Fair Wheel puts campagnolo in the middle of the pack for stiffness, though lower on the list for stiffness to weight. I've heard hambini hasn't been the best at maintaining his credibility..

I'm not suggesting campy is the best, in fact, I'm sure it's not. But I like it. I'll have to try my brother in law's new road bike some time. He has force or red, I think.
4/7/2026 8:52:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quote History
Originally Posted By Bourbonator:

Fair Wheel puts campagnolo in the middle of the pack for stiffness, though lower on the list for stiffness to weight. I've heard hambini hasn't been the best at maintaining his credibility..

I'm not suggesting campy is the best, in fact, I'm sure it's not. But I like it. I'll have to try my brother in law's new road bike some time. He has force or red, I think.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Originally Posted By Bourbonator:
Originally Posted By Fourman:
Hambini has a good article on it.  He is kinda a big expert on BB's and such.  He does not hold back on any mfg.

https://www.hambini.com/teardown-campagnolo-ultra-torque-crankset-mechanics-explained-in-depth/

Fair Wheel puts campagnolo in the middle of the pack for stiffness, though lower on the list for stiffness to weight. I've heard hambini hasn't been the best at maintaining his credibility..

I'm not suggesting campy is the best, in fact, I'm sure it's not. But I like it. I'll have to try my brother in law's new road bike some time. He has force or red, I think.
Oh I love Campy......it is made to work on.  And sooooo beautiful.   Just not for the poors
Living in the free state of Texas

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

Previous Page
/ 26
Next Page

Official cyclist thread (Page 21 of 26)