Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 79
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 11:43:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Starlink is going to make so much money.....
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 12:11:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Neotopiaman:
Starlink is going to make so much money.....
View Quote

They are.  Can't wait until it is available in Northern NV.    I'm so sick of this 5-7 Mbps (on a good day).
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I wish Starlink would hold an IPO.  I would buy a lot of their stock
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 12:34:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I was/am signed up for the starlink beta. Nothing yet, although they’ve brought fiber to my house in the mean time though so starlink is now pointless.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 12:56:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By tnertb:
"yay I can finally have good internet in the middle of no where!"

Yeap and so will your new neighbors.

View Quote

What land are they going to buy?
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 4:33:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Good news for some of you waiting:

Link Posted: 11/17/2020 11:14:48 PM EDT
[#7]
SpaceX's Starlink satellite-internet service provides rapid speeds of 175 Mbps in freezing temperatures, high winds and deep snow, users report

"SpaceX's Starlink satellite-internet service gives users rapid speeds reaching 175 Mbps even in high-speed winds, deep snow, and freezing temperatures.

Users of SpaceX's "Better Than Nothing Beta" test have posted pictures and videos on the Reddit Starlink community proving that the Starlink terminal still works in extreme weather conditions – and in some cases, it's even faster."
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 11:17:23 PM EDT
[#8]
They are going to loose a fortune in the short term.  The phased array antennas are costing them a fortune.  Economy of scale will everyday kick in.

Mike
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 11:18:38 PM EDT
[#9]
"Musk also said the Starlink public beta, which is currently confined to the northern US and southern Canada, could be in Florida by January, in Europe by February, and in India by the middle of 2021."

Source
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 9:16:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: David0858] [#10]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:
"Musk also said the Starlink public beta, which is currently confined to the northern US and southern Canada, could be in Florida by January, in Europe by February, and in India by the middle of 2021."

Source
View Quote

My guess is at least the last 120 sats aren't online yet. When they do come online it should perk the coverage up some. They're probably where the "could be in FL by Jan" is coming from.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 10:07:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By David0858:

My guess is at least the last 120 sats aren't online yet. When they do come online it should perk the coverage up some. They're probably where the "could be in FL by Jan" is coming from.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Source

It takes about a month for them to raise themselves into the correct orbit

https://planet4589.org/space/stats/megacon/starlink.html

Sometimes if the orbital planes are different they have to wait a few weeks to months for them to precess.

Electric propulsion is very efficient but very low thrust.

(Note, the red lines are the empty upper stages and the green lines are the tension cables that are released during launch.)
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 5:36:56 PM EDT
[#12]
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/18/spacex-asks-to-test-starlink-satellite-internet-with-a-gulfstream-jet.html

SpaceX would like to further expand testing of its Starlink satellite internet by connecting the network to aircraft, the company revealed in a recent request to the Federal Communications Commission.

Elon Musk's space company on Nov. 6 asked the FCC if SpaceX could add Starlink user terminals "on a Gulfstream jet for a period of up to two years."

SpaceX seeks experimental authority for operation of one user terminal aboard each of up to five private jets while they are (1) on the ground at an airport, and (2) in flight over the United States (including its territories and territorial waters)," the company wrote in the FCC filing.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/20/2020 5:50:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Neat map to play with. Double click (tap) to zoom in, hold and move mouse or finger to move world. Be sure to read key and about. Check settings to get active sats and the circles are coverage at 45 degrees so unless you're in trees or buildings the coverage is going to be more.

https://satellitemap.space/#
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 11:37:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 11:47:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 2:20:47 PM EDT
[#16]
SpaceX received $885M in rural broadband subsidies for Starlink

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DOC-368588A1.pdf
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 12:25:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Pavelow16478:
SpaceX received $885M in rural broadband subsidies for Starlink

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DOC-368588A1.pdf
View Quote

I wonder if there is  a way to determine if where I live is considered a target location.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 1:03:07 AM EDT
[#18]

I wonder if there is  a way to determine if where I live is considered a target location.
View Quote

Here's a map
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 9:36:15 AM EDT
[#19]

Here's a map
View Quote

Sigh...

You see that big, kinda circular hole in the middle of north/central Texas?  Yeah, I'm in the center of that.  I have no wired internet available at my home and I'm only an hour from DFW airport.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 9:56:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Here's a map
View Quote

Thanks.   It appears that nobody wants to provide better service to me.   Stuck with 5-7 Mbps down.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 9:59:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Wise County is first to receive Starlink internet in Virginia

"Wise County Public Schools announced Monday it is the first school district in Virginia to use SpaceX’s Starlink satellite internet constellation for high-speed internet.

Southwest Virginia has long been affected by the “digital divide.” Only 49% of households in Virginia making less than $20,000 per year have a broadband subscription, and in some areas of Southern Virginia, Southwest Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley, as many as 60% of households have no internet subscription, according to 2019 data from the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.

The Starlink pilot project announced Monday will provide free internet service to 45 Wise County families starting in early 2021, and will eventually expand to serve an additional 90 families in the county."
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:09:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Thanks.   It appears that nobody wants to provide better service to me.   Stuck with 5-7 Mbps down.
View Quote

No problem!

Im in the same boat, get 15 down on a good day
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:12:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Echd] [#23]
I was really banking on starlink until tmobile rolled out their home internet service, which has been cheap and fantastic. Starlink will in the end be faster but right now costs twice as much.

That said before the service I have now was available I had been fighting with 4g plan resellers for years... so I would have paid for starlink in a heartbeat!

But for the average user it makes more sense to pay $50/mo for what has been around 60-100mbps down than $99 a month for 125-150 down.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 11:29:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Redarts:
I was really banking on starlink until tmobile rolled out their home internet service, which has been cheap and fantastic. Starlink will in the end be faster but right now costs twice as much.

That said before the service I have now was available I had been fighting with 4g plan resellers for years... so I would have paid for starlink in a heartbeat!

But for the average user it makes more sense to pay $50/mo for what has been around 60-100mbps down than $99 a month for 125-150 down.
View Quote

T-mobile would be acceptable but is not available here.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#25]

"Wise County Public Schools announced Monday it is the first school district in Virginia to use SpaceX’s Starlink satellite internet constellation for high-speed internet.

Southwest Virginia has long been affected by the “digital divide.” Only 49% of households in Virginia making less than $20,000 per year have a broadband subscription, and in some areas of Southern Virginia, Southwest Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley, as many as 60% of households have no internet subscription, according to 2019 data from the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.

The Starlink pilot project announced Monday will provide free internet service to 45 Wise County families starting in early 2021, and will eventually expand to serve an additional 90 families in the county."
View Quote

Good to know.

It appears Wise county is further south than I am in Ky so perhaps starlink will become an option later when Mrs. M4ger and I find rural property
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 4:58:36 PM EDT
[#26]
I didn't read all 10 pages...

Has a monthly data cap limit been discussed?

All the speed in the world does you no good if they throttle you back to DSL speeds once you download more than 10GB per month - which isn't difficult.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 8:44:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: David0858] [#27]
Originally Posted By Mad_Anthony:

All the speed in the world does you no good if they throttle you back to DSL speeds once you download more than 10GB per month - which isn't difficult.
View Quote

Supposedly there is none but they will HAVE to come up with some kind of fair use policy. The people that think their fair share is multiple TBs will ensure it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 9:00:52 PM EDT
[#28]
looks like there are plans near me for some areas, and not for others.   it does not say that that map is starlink only.  

I thought it was being shopped as lowcost.  $500 for gear and $100 is not lowcost.      do they plan to lower it after full launch or is it planned to go up?
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 9:57:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By somedude:
looks like there are plans near me for some areas, and not for others.   it does not say that that map is starlink only.  

I thought it was being shopped as lowcost.  $500 for gear and $100 is not lowcost.      do they plan to lower it after full launch or is it planned to go up?
View Quote
For high speed internet in the sticks that is low cost.  In the city I'm getting uncapped gigabit for $60 month.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:36:57 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

For the target market, that's cheap.  Those of us that are only served by cellular for internet access can easily pay over $125 per month for poor quality internet speeds.  My equipment was about $300, and my monthly bill is $130.  But it's unlimited, and still slow at about 15 down and 8 up.  But when there is no other options, you take what you can get.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 10:42:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Steamedliver] [#31]
Originally Posted By 57plymouth:

For the target market, that's cheap.  Those of us that are only served by cellular for internet access can easily pay over $125 per month for poor quality internet speeds.  My equipment was about $300, and my monthly bill is $130.  But it's unlimited, and still slow at about 15 down and 8 up.  But when there is no other options, you take what you can get.
View Quote

Oh, look at you.  Bragging about your fast internet for cheap.

Agreed.  For the target audience, Starlink is cheap.

I totally believe, if people can smuggle the equipment into certain countries.  It'll break the government sponsored censorship.  What I am saying, this is way bigger than me getting fast and reliable internet in the sticks.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 11:26:57 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Cheaper than I'm paying now.  I'd be happy with that price.  If you're not, then you're probably not their target market.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 11:37:46 AM EDT
[#33]

Supposedly there is none but they will HAVE to come up with some kind of fair use policy. The people that think there fair share is multiple TBs will ensure it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mad_Anthony:

Supposedly there is none but they will HAVE to come up with some kind of fair use policy. The people that think there fair share is multiple TBs will ensure it.

There was a Reddit AMA a few weeks ago. Starlink reps said they really don't want a cap but might have to.
From a technical side, subscriber density is what matters for instantaneous bandwidth. If you're out in the sticks and only a dozen or so people can see the satellite currently overhead, there's not much reason to not allow the max your equipment can handle. If you have 1000+ in a city you could start hitting the physical capability of the satellite and throttling has to happen.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 3:25:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aod886] [#34]
Looks like its coming to Ohio also.  Just outside Marysville (Allen Township)  

Info Here (Jobsohio.com)

According to the article. It'll be in the first quarter of 2021.

Getting closer!
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 4:30:32 PM EDT
[#35]
my 3mb/.5mb DSL company is going to be crying when this is available. I know over a dozen people within 10 min from me that will all be switching.

I guess the upgrades they've been promising us over the last 3 years should have happened.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:

I'm hoping the price is good.  I want reliable high speed!
View Quote

You already paid with your taxes. I hope you get a discount at least.

I think they got just under a billion from the taxpayer for this very thing.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 5:09:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By WildBoar:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WildBoar:
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:

I'm hoping the price is good.  I want reliable high speed!

Those discounts only apply in certain places and the odds are you aren't in one. The way the FCC does this is stupid.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/12/spacex-won-rural-fcc-funding-in-surprising-places-like-major-airports/?comments=1
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 5:42:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Steamedliver:

I totally believe, if people can smuggle the equipment into certain countries.  It'll break the government sponsored censorship.  What I am saying, this is way bigger than me getting fast and reliable internet in the sticks.
View All Quotes

That’s where I see this being very valuable. Until China starts knocking these satellites out of the sky.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 12:25:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 12:57:08 PM EDT
[#40]

Same

The hilarious part is those satellites might end up being launched on Falcon 9 or Starship
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 1:27:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jhereg] [#41]
Originally Posted By 44Punk:

That's where I see this being very valuable. Until China starts knocking these satellites out of the sky.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 44Punk:

That's where I see this being very valuable. Until China starts knocking these satellites out of the sky.

At which point Elon nukes China in retaliation.  Hopefully he gives them a warning shot and just takes out a dam or something.   What do you suppose a tungsten payload into the face of the dam would do from orbit?
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 7:18:00 PM EDT
[#42]
SpaceX Starlink rollout continues to uplift rural schools, Native Americans

"SpaceX continues to make a point of deploying nascent Starlink internet services – often for free – in ways that prioritize and uplift rural schools and Native American tribes.

Back in October, word first broke that SpaceX – through Washington state’s Department of Commerce – had partnered with the Hoh Tribe to deliver high-quality internet to multiple homes and facilities. The tribe had nothing but praise for the service after a few days of use, frankly stating that “[Starlink] catapulted us into the 21st century.”

Canada’s Pikangikum First Nation also thanked SpaceX for bringing Starlink internet to the fly-in-only community, where the best service available prior ranged from 60 kilobits per second to a middling few megabits per second – all high-latency. "
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 6:21:46 PM EDT
[#43]

Here's a map
View Quote

When I input my address, my “block”  is half covered by a star link focus area. Of course I’m outside of the focus area, but if I were to move .25 miles to the SW, I would be smack dab in the middle.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 11:54:59 AM EDT
[#44]
SpaceX's Starlink satellite internet will get a test run in Ohio

"Residents of rural Allen Township, Ohio will be among the first people to test drive the cutting edge Starlink satellite internet system, state officials announced Wednesday.

Lt. Governor Jon Husted said 90 household and 10 small businesses – which are currently underserved by high speed internet services – will be part of pilot program for Starlink beginning next year.

Husted added that the program was part of DeWine-Husted administration's commitment to expand high speed internet access.

Those chosen to participate in the pilot program will get the service at no cost for 12 months, Husted said."
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 12:16:41 AM EDT
[#45]
SpaceX’s Starlink satellite-internet service provides rapid speeds of 175 Mbps in freezing temperatures, high winds, and deep snow, users report

"SpaceX’s Starlink satellite-internet service gives users rapid speeds reaching 175 Mbps even in high-speed winds, deep snow, and freezing temperatures.

Elon Musk’s aerospace company sent an update email to beta testers Tuesday saying its made upgrades to the service, including a “Snow Melt Mode” for the Starlink dishes.

Users of SpaceX’s “Better Than Nothing Beta” test have posted pictures and videos on the Reddit Starlink community proving that the Starlink terminal still works in extreme weather conditions – and in some cases, it’s even faster."
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:17:24 AM EDT
[#46]
SpaceX's Starlink satellite internet will get a test run in Ohio

"Residents of rural Allen Township, Ohio will be among the first people to test drive the cutting edge Starlink satellite internet system, state officials announced Wednesday.

Lt. Governor Jon Husted said 90 household and 10 small businesses  which are currently underserved by high speed internet services  will be part of pilot program for Starlink beginning next year.

Husted added that the program was part of DeWine-Husted administration's commitment to expand high speed internet access.

Those chosen to participate in the pilot program will get the service at no cost for 12 months, Husted said."
View Quote
It's my internet and I want it now!!

Our new house will be finished in a few months and our only option for internet is cellular service or possibly a WISP (I see a few people on our road have WISP dishes, but I can't find anything online). Starlink in 2021 would be a Godsend!
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:22:58 AM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

Thats one of the counties next to me.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 4:31:20 PM EDT
[#48]
SpaceX Starlink beta arrives in the UK, sets sights on rest of Europe and Australia

"As of the first day of 2021, SpaceX’s Starlink satellite internet beta program appears to have arrived in the United Kingdom in just one of numerous international debuts expected this year.

While not guaranteed to be the first outright, Reddit user OptiSport became the first confirmed Starlink beta customer outside of North America after receiving a beta kit (antenna dish, stand, and WiFi router) on or around January 1st. Beta invites began to roll out to those signed up at Starlink.com around mid-December, but OptiSport appears to be the first UK beta user to actually receive a Starlink user terminal."

Is this supposed to be the antenna?

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

That's a cardboard box.  I imagine the antenna is inside it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 6:31:29 PM EDT
[#50]

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DA-21-34A1.pdf
Page / 79
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top