Link Posted: 10/16/2021 9:59:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 10:19:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 10:37:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Vesuvius was not a plume driven eruption. Subduction Zone. Explosive rather than effusive. Lots of ash, whereas the La Palma ash output is lower for the amount of material being erupted.

A large igneous province scale eruption (think Siberian or Deccan Traps) would put a gigantic amount of SO2 into the atmosphere but it would take centuries to do so. You'd see a degree or two yearly potential drop, which would be vastly offset by the greenhouse effect of the erupted CO2.

ETA:

You want global warming?

Because this is how you get global warming...
View Quote

Damn. So what are the chances this thing burns for 87 million years? Or even more than a few months
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 11:02:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Damn. So what are the chances this thing burns for 87 million years? Or even more than a few months
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vesuvius was not a plume driven eruption. Subduction Zone. Explosive rather than effusive. Lots of ash, whereas the La Palma ash output is lower for the amount of material being erupted.

A large igneous province scale eruption (think Siberian or Deccan Traps) would put a gigantic amount of SO2 into the atmosphere but it would take centuries to do so. You'd see a degree or two yearly potential drop, which would be vastly offset by the greenhouse effect of the erupted CO2.

ETA:

You want global warming?

Because this is how you get global warming...

Keep a watch on several things:

The amount of uplift of the ridge.
The presence and intensity of harmonic tremors on the seismos.
The presence and location of earthquake swarms below the island.
A high amount of SO2 and the presence of He3 in the emitted gas mixture.

As long as the uplift stays constant/fluctuates moderately and you have the other conditions occurring, chances are it'll keep erupting.

Taken together, the factors indicate a healthy flux of magma into the system - magma of deep mantle origin. Steady inflation of the ridge is a sign that material input and output are in balance.

Based solely on observations of available data, it would be easier to predict a cessation of activity than it would a duration estimate without knowing how much athenosphere-derived magma is available and how fast it's rising into the chambers.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 11:05:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I saw a quake of moderate intensity at 2km depth a bit ago. If the deflation trend reverses itself, expect another vent to open.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 11:33:38 PM EDT
[#6]
An hour and half ago it was going crazy! Especially the lowest vent. The lava was hotter (bright white hot!), flowing quicker and with greater volume than I’ve seen any other time since this started. Scroll back if you’re on a computer to around 10pm to see it. The past hour it quieted down but right now she’s coming back to life….
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:08:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Neat, but what's the attraction here? Are we hoping for something more massive or are we just enjoying a real life lava lamp? Looks the same tonight as all the other nights I've checked in on the thread.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:23:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Look at the big brain on AnalogKid Brad!

Keep it up!
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 1:07:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Neat, but what's the attraction here? Are we hoping for something more massive or are we just enjoying a real life lava lamp? Looks the same tonight as all the other nights I've checked in on the thread.
View Quote

I'm in it for educational purposes. I took geology as electives in college and did well, and was fascinated by it. So I have a chance to see what experts are saying about a rea-time event. Plus I can watch a volcano eruption, live, from the comfort of my home from half a world away.

I do not want to see a massive explosion or island destruction event while there are people still on the island.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 2:29:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I just enjoy watching the bright lights and pretty spatklies while listening to roosters crowing.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 3:38:46 AM EDT
[#11]
If you go to 3:25 on the live streams there were some big ol chunks falling off the lower vent edge... one of em looked house sized. ~5hrs ago.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 6:56:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm in it for educational purposes. I took geology as electives in college and did well, and was fascinated by it. So I have a chance to see what experts are saying about a rea-time event. Plus I can watch a volcano eruption, live, from the comfort of my home from half a world away.

I do not want to see a massive explosion or island destruction event while there are people still on the island.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Active volcanoes are real-life geology labs, much as a supercell thunderstorm's life cycle can be studied and the data used to refine predictive algorithms.

Weather is another passion of mine (for that matter, many Earth sciences) and while I'd love to analyze a long-track F5 in real time I DON'T want to witness it moving through densely populated areas.

In terms of what this volcano is doing: Much is understood about how certain types behave, but at the same time, much isn't. We can't actually dive into the vent and all the way to the core/mantle interface to see how the system is being supplied with magma - and with what type(s) over the lifetime of an eruption. You have to rely on some theories...some generalized, some refined...in order to gauge the duration and effects of an event. The chance to analyze fresh erupted material helps to bolster theories and refine your data sets. Along with them, your models get better.

Anyone remember the BBC TV movie "Supervolcano" about Yellowstone? In it was portrayed a predictive supercomputer 'VIRGIL' (which was somewhat crash prone). Though not as elegant as the machine which was depicted, some of the larger ones in existence today are capable of running sophisticated thermodynamic modeling series. All these data you can get to feed them helps to refine their thinking processes (as AI is factoring into analytics more and more).
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 7:02:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
An hour and half ago it was going crazy! Especially the lowest vent. The lava was hotter (bright white hot!), flowing quicker and with greater volume than I’ve seen any other time since this started. Scroll back if you’re on a computer to around 10pm to see it. The past hour it quoted down but right now she’s coming back to life….
View Quote

Assuming this wasn't an optical effect of a low contrast video system and truly is a reliable indicator of magma temperature...and the right combination of gases are present: You're getting a flux of deeper-sourced magma, possibly moving faster up the plumbing than before.

Messrs Stefan and Boltzmann to the red-hot courtesy phone please
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 7:23:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Off to look at more data. Station LP03 shows an 80+ mm drop over the past couple of days. That may explain the hotter-than-normal magma; the lower portions of the upper chamber may be sourcing it. Would explain the shallow quakes and localized deformation effects too.

Magmatic systems act as ladle cars in steel making do - both are very good insulators of their contents. The latter quite possibly has its origins in the former.

Link Posted: 10/17/2021 7:41:56 AM EDT
[#15]
I am seeing a marked reduction in ash column on the feed now. There's also something smoldering on the right flank of the cone. Existing lava flow outgassing or a potential new vent?
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 8:04:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I can't get my head around plate tectonics. It seems more likely that the planet expanded from the core, the crust cracked up as it continued to grow and things wound up where they are when the expansion was done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Speaking of LIPs, CAMP and related things:

You Joisey boys are probably familiar with this -

https://cdn.britannica.com/41/145841-050-B7CE5AF4/Palisades-Hudson-River-New-York.jpg

The significance is that its other half (chemically) is in Morocco. That got a few geologists and scientists puzzling way back when and was one of the bolsters of plate tectonics/continental drift theories.

GTFO! First time I heard this. Makes me wonder whether a massive impact (like the one that hit the Yucatán) was strong enough to cause land masses to shift and move across the planets surface the way the ice would shift if you dropped a bowling ball into a swimming pool in winter with a few inches of ice on top of the water…

I can't get my head around plate tectonics. It seems more likely that the planet expanded from the core, the crust cracked up as it continued to grow and things wound up where they are when the expansion was done.

@TinSpinner

Here's a good summary (although fairly technical) of the factors that led to the plates behaving the way they do:

From Science Direct

In short: Many localized impacts by water-bearing bolides (comets, asteroids) made some areas of the crust heavier than others. Wide scale fracturing of the crust by very large impactors broke an otherwise solid top layer into pieces then gravity took over and plate subduction began.

The presence of water in the system (in the crust and in magma) helps to sustain the convective processes which keep things going.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 8:42:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I am seeing a marked reduction in ash column on the feed now. There's also something smoldering on the right flank of the cone. Existing lava flow outgassing or a potential new vent?
View Quote

I’ve been noticing that as well this morning. Pretty dangerous place for a new vent to open?

Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:11:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I’ve been noticing that as well this morning. Pretty dangerous place for a new vent to open?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the sense that it's closer to man made structures...yes. But the overall trend has been towards the west of the ridge top.

Business as usual for the volcano.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:14:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

@TinSpinner

Here's a good summary (although fairly technical) of the factors that led to the plates behaving the way they do:

From Science Direct

In short: Many localized impacts by water-bearing bolides (comets, asteroids) made some areas of the crust heavier than others. Wide scale fracturing of the crust by very large impactors broke an otherwise solid top layer into pieces then gravity took over and plate subduction began.

The presence of water in the system (in the crust and in magma) helps to sustain the convective processes which keep things going.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://cdn.britannica.com/41/145841-050-B7CE5AF4/Palisades-Hudson-River-New-York.jpg

The significance is that its other half (chemically) is in Morocco. That got a few geologists and scientists puzzling way back when and was one of the bolsters of plate tectonics/continental drift theories.

GTFO! First time I heard this. Makes me wonder whether a massive impact (like the one that hit the Yucatán) was strong enough to cause land masses to shift and move across the planets surface the way the ice would shift if you dropped a bowling ball into a swimming pool in winter with a few inches of ice on top of the water…

@TinSpinner

From Science Direct

That's one theory. I still think the planet had to be expanding though, otherwise the entire land mass would have had to be on one side which is unlikely.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:34:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That's one theory. I still think the planet had to be expanding though, otherwise the entire land mass would have had to be on one side which is unlikely.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@TinSpinner

From Science Direct

It was at one time:

Things come together and then break apart
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:38:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Data feeds show a marked decrease in volcanic tremor amplitude and harmonic tremor strength is steadily trending downward.

IGN and local authorities holding a press conference at the moment on the feed...in Spanish. I'm guessing they're discussing the reduction in strength and a potential end to it...if more magma doesn't get injected into the plumbing.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 1:01:05 PM EDT
[#22]
That thing doesn't appear to me to be weakening but in fact growing stronger every day.  It's powerful enough today to make out the huge lava eruptions through all the thick black smoke in daylight.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 1:52:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That thing doesn't appear to me to be weakening but in fact growing stronger every day.  It's powerful enough today to make out the huge lava eruptions through all the thick black smoke in daylight.
View Quote

Seismos and GPS are telling a different story. The area is steadily deflating.

What's being expelled now is from the upper chamber, and the weight of the Cumbre Vieja pressing down upon it adds to the pressurization. Think of blowing up a balloon, letting it expel some of its contents...then you giving it a hard squeeze.

One of two outcomes are possible: If the last of the shallow magma reserves are being tapped without resupply, the eruption will enter its paroxysmal phase - with the potential of mild explosivity. Or the lower conduits get their sh!t together and a fresh batch of eruptible magma makes its way into the upper areas, continuing the eruption as before.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 1:57:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I just enjoy watching the bright lights and pretty spatklies while listening to roosters crowing.
View Quote

Ahhh, the simple pleasures in life….
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 3:57:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Volcano is going fucking berserk right now.

Feed moving: https://youtu.be/RUyPMnV264w

Último hora! canal 24 horas del volcán de la isla de La Palma

Small vent just got plugged now the main vent is putting on a show.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 5:04:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Shits angry
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Shits angry
View Quote

Yepper buddy.....
What's next?.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 5:36:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Guess the natives don't think it's gonna get worse..
I might be chicken cht, but I'd be long gone.....
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 5:46:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Erupting a lot now
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 6:03:38 PM EDT
[#30]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GTFO! First time I heard this. Makes me wonder whether a massive impact (like the one that hit the Yucatn) was strong enough to cause land masses to shift and move across the planets surface the way the ice would shift if you dropped a bowling ball into a swimming pool in winter with a few inches of ice on top of the water

@TinSpinner

From Science Direct

It was at one time:

Things come together and then break apart

along the lines of this topic, I found this video interesting.
The Most Dangerous Type of Eruptions - Flood Volcanism explained

Link Posted: 10/17/2021 6:08:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Starting to see puffs from the vent in the background
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 6:19:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Pretty god spray coming out. Seems about double the intensity from when I was watching on Friday.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 6:19:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yepper buddy.....
What's next?.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shits angry

Yepper buddy.....
What's next?.

I haven't seen a quake in either chamber in a while...at least 12h. Harmonic tremor on the 18Hz channel picked back up - possibly due to the existing magma being emptied or because of new influx.

Without Z axis (depth) data on the seismo in question it's hard to say for sure.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 1:24:00 AM EDT
[#34]
4.5 EQ at 37km, that's a stronger one.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 1:27:47 AM EDT
[#35]
So we all gonna die yet?
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 5:05:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
4.5 EQ at 37km, that's a stronger one.
View Quote

Around 3:30 this morning I checked seismo data.

Swarms in both upper and middle chambers. And a couple in between. Magma is moving again.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 7:14:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

What's being expelled now is from the upper chamber, and the weight of the Cumbre Vieja pressing down upon it adds to the pressurization. Think of blowing up a balloon, letting it expel some of its contents...then you giving it a hard squeeze.

One of two outcomes are possible: If the last of the shallow magma reserves are being tapped without resupply, the eruption will enter its paroxysmal phase - with the potential of mild explosivity. Or the lower conduits get their sh!t together and a fresh batch of eruptible magma makes its way into the upper areas, continuing the eruption as before.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for your input and easy to understand explanations.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 7:52:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Thanks for your input and easy to understand explanations.
View Quote

See my response above...it's potentially getting things together and new magma is being supplied.

Business as usual in the island-building racket.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 5:22:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Pretty good show right now. 3 vents going.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 7:10:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Fire on the Mountain... Haven't seen it doing fireballs like that before. More like a Hollywood car explosion that the jetting we've seen out of this thing the last week or so. Huge change in SO2 as well. From 17k down to 2.8k.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 7:32:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Fire on the Mountain... Haven't seen it doing fireballs like that before. More like a Hollywood car explosion that the jetting we've seen out of this thing the last week or so. Huge change in SO2 as well. From 17k down to 2.8k.
View Quote

That is what I was thinking. Lots of flameage.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 7:34:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Is there a new vent low on the hill or is that just flow?
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 7:57:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Is there a new vent low on the hill or is that just flow?
View Quote

Which feed are you watching?
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 8:12:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can't answer for that poster, but I am watching this one. What is the story on the dotted line box, lower right?

Link Posted: 10/18/2021 8:14:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I can't answer for that poster, but I am watching this one. What is the story on the dotted line box, lower right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG_Yr1Cj_to
View Quote

quite the river overflowing right now
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 8:14:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

The two posted earlier on this page.

The more westerly view only catches the very top.

The southern view it kind of looks like a new vent but also could just be flow.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 8:18:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG_Yr1Cj_to
View Quote

Possibly another vent. I have to find a better feed...mine is just showing lava.

ETA: I think I see what was thought to be a vent lower down the slope. It's just flow.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 8:20:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Possibly another vent. I have to find a better feed...mine is just showing lava.
View Quote

Maybe. I think it is a still image.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 8:44:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Looks to me the beast has learned new tricks along with a new 4th vent.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 8:50:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Looks to me the beast has learned new tricks along with a new 4th vent.
View Quote

If the hillside keeps slumping like the GPS data show, I'm not surprised that new faults are appearing.
Page / 34
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top