Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 350
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 8/15/2023 9:51:48 AM EDT
[#1]
My BP varies a lot throughout  the day so I always check at same time.
When I get to work, been up an hour and only had water. Then I get coffee after I check it.
I put it in a spreadsheet that keeps a running average, like over last month.
Seems dumb a Dr checks it once a year mid day and think it means something.

For coffee sweetener I mix ground stevea leaves into my coffee grounds, at work I drink it black.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 11:51:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:09:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WDEagle:
We love low carb taco pizza.
View Quote

I'm going to make that this weekend. I have everything already.
I've been canning Salsa this week so I bought those wraps and fried a 50/50 mix of hamburger / sausage to make burritos.
Also have shredded cheese and lettuce and extra garden tomatoes and peppers.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:47:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:35:19 PM EDT
[#5]
My wife and I went to a birthday party for her mother at my BIL/SIL's house.  BIL is a master at fried catfish and hush puppies.  I won't bother with the sordid details of the hush puppies hot out of the grease or the fried catfish or potato salad or cole slaw, baked beans and Spanish Rice  -never mind the 1 1/2 slices of two different cakes plus beer.  Suffice it to say I didn't fall of the wagon - I dove off face first.

Bottom line:  +2800 calories and +227 carbs (vs. 1400 and 18 as the goal respectively).  Oh well, I knew it was coming so I'm not beating myself up about it.  I did get several complements from people about how much weight I had lost, so there's that.

Nose back to the grindstone tomorrow AM!
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:55:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jchewie1] [#6]
We love low carb taco pizza.
View Quote

Wife started making my pizza on a bed of spinach.  Works for me.  I never really liked the alternate crusts.

ETA, 2 mile run tonight.  Dinner was 10 eggs and 3 oz cheese.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 9:35:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm giving it a try.  My meals have been 4 scrambled eggs, a sausage patty and a 1/4 cup of cheese.  2 meals per day.  I don't think I have lost anything yet.  I've been doing it for 2 weeks now.  Hopefully I can lose some weight.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 6:36:52 PM EDT
[#8]
2 mile run with the pup.  Slow, low back cramps.  Need to up my water intake.

Coffee with cream for breakfast.  Had leftover grilled chicken breast with cream cheese and half a bell pepper for lunch.  About to sit down for some chicken taco soup.  Light tomato sauce, heavy on chicken, cheese, sour cream, no chips in mine.

ETA.  6'3" 240 pounds currently.  Goal is 190.
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 10:36:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#9]
Well shit.  I took my 2nd A1C home test yesterday at the 30 day mark from the last one - and it went up by 0.1 point (6.1 to 6.2).  

I did the math for the carbs I've eaten over the last 53 days; a total of ~1213 grams, for an average of 22.9/day.  But I did have that 227 carb birthday party plus a couple 50-60 days as well.  This estimate is probably low, since there is always leakage plus you can't trust the food manufacturers carb estimates.  I hope a lot of it minimized by the fact that My Fitness Pal counts all carbs, not just net carbs.  Hence, veggies like cabbage and celery show up as fairly large carb counts.

I went back and looked at the days where I significantly overran my daily carb limit (18 then now 16):  Birthday parties (2), my wife's Sourdough Bread, watermelon and one Zaxby's Chicken Sandwich.  There is also the daily 2 Tbs of CoffeeMate Sugar Free Creamer.  I decided to cut that out starting today.  The coffee isn't as enjoyable but it's tolerable.  

Also:  Alcohol.  Even though I drink mostly low carb beer (Yeungling Flight) with some whiskey, I've decided to cut all alcohol for the foreseeable future.

This is the home A1C test unit I'm using:

$64 for the test kit with 4 A1C tests ($16 per test).
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 6:58:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By NapTown:
Keto is like Crossfit.  You'll find a bunch of guys who tell you it's the only way to lose weight.

Although my diet is very similar to a keto diet, I would say a healthy does of exercise and a low-carb lifestyle should suffice for most people looking to shred some fat.  I lost 30 lbs and have kept it off for the past 2.5 years.
View Quote

Agreed.

I am on what I call KETO Light, meaning I'm probably not in Ketosis, but but close.  My diet consists of fatty meats, and greens.  I avoid carbs and sugar, unless it's a "cheat day" whereupon I will devour and entire Pizza.

Note, 50% of my diet is baked bacon.  It's easy to mass cook, and easy to bring to work in a small Ziploc bag.

This "diet" works very well for me.  I do not get hungry in between meals.

CMOS
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 12:47:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: qbateaux] [#11]
Diabetic/Keto lemon cake, fresh raspberry glaze   Cooked and pureed and strained,   simple (uncooked) buttercream with   50/50 butter and cream cheese,  coconut and almond flour cake.

I used a little too much allulose in the buttercream but it was still  damn good.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 1:20:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I did another A1C test this morning, 39 days since the last one.

All the hard work has paid off:  5.7 (vs. 6.2).  A whole half a point in 39 days!

Now to keep it up and not spoil it by going out and buying a pickup load of fried chicken!
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 1:35:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Merlin:
I did another A1C test this morning, 39 days since the last one.

All the hard work has paid off:  5.7 (vs. 6.2).  A whole half a point in 39 days!

Now to keep it up and not spoil it by going out and buying a pickup load of fried chicken!
View Quote

I buy rotisserie chicken breast at local grocery.
Easier than dealing with the whole chicken.
One or 1.5 breast, ad a side of riced Cauliflower or green beans for a quick meal.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 8:51:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Nutritionists are such idiots:

Red Meat Causes Diabetes? New Study should Concern Carnivores
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By arowneragain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdYrTW8Kikk
View Quote

That's just typical click bate crap. Ytube is full of fake news.
That dude has 2.4 mil subs so he is making money off idiots, he knows what he is doing.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 9:21:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By AR_Dale:

That dude has 2.4 mil subs so he is making money off idiots, he knows what he is doing.
View Quote

He’s one of the good guys. I’m
not calling *him* an idiot.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 8:00:49 AM EDT
[#17]

He’s one of the good guys. I’m
not calling *him* an idiot.
View Quote

OK, I didn't watch because I don't care what some random dude says.
So he is preaching to the choir to get clicks?

Had a one day only 30% off at Donatos Pizza so I got 25 naked wings with dry rub and a Meatball appetizer.
The wings are no carbs, the meatballs do have bread crumbs but still low carb if you don't eat too much.
I divided the wings and meatballs into 4 servings and had 4 meals for $25 total.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 8:19:04 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdYrTW8Kikk

I don't doubt he's making money off YT, so what.  The video itself is not click bait.  He analyzes, in detail, all the faults of the so-called "study" and how the media is reporting the so-called results.  He has links to both the study and the news reports themselves.

The study itself is essentially click bait.  That's on the so-called doctors who published it, who are pushing a political ideology instead of science.

It's not a bad video - at all.

Link Posted: 10/26/2023 8:26:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SAE] [#19]
Been on keto for a while like weeks with a couple of breaks in between.

Man, I'm hungry this morning and I need to slow my weight loss down a little bit.

This diet really works.

Have lost seventeen pounds since the eleventh of this month so far.

My birthday is in a few days and I want to go out and eat some pizza and drink a coke with it.

Yesterday I drank one small fountain coke with a breakfast sandwich at Whataburger.

The drink was much better than the food.

Weighed in a little while ago and still lost a pound in the last 24 so no biggy there.

I need to cardio today as well.

I'll be down under 200 lbs by Thanksgiving and I'm certainly happy about that.

My target is 185 and that was my weight when I was in the Marines.

I have a large combat chasis skeletal frame. Lol

I was at about 165 when I was a very active Golden Gloves boxer.

I had to starve myself at times just to stay right in there.

After 165 I went up in to a higher weight class and I didn't want that for obvious reasons.

Two years ago I was as fat as Kim Jong Un..
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 8:58:31 AM EDT
[#20]
I started on August 1, 2022 at 277.2 pounds.  Monday I was 174.8.  

One funny thing is that I had somewhat plateaued for a while, then last month we took the kids to a multi-day family camp where I had no way to store or prepare food.  So I had to eat the food in the camp cafeteria (pizza, pancakes, biscuits, burgers,  etc.).  I put on 8 pounds (of course mostly water weight), but quickly dropped back to the pre-camp weight within a couple of weeks and since then I've averaged over a pound a week for the past four weeks.  It was like a reboot.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 9:09:53 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't doubt he's making money off YT, so what.  The video itself is not click bait.  He analyzes, in detail, all the faults of the so-called "study" and how the media is reporting the so-called results.  He has links to both the study and the news reports themselves.

The study itself is essentially click bait.  That's on the so-called doctors who published it, who are pushing a political ideology instead of science.

It's not a bad video - at all.

View Quote

What ever turns you on.
I don't need some internet video to know all the studies are BS, no need to analyze it. You either already know that or you don't want to and can't be convinced.

Link Posted: 10/26/2023 9:31:50 AM EDT
[#22]

What ever turns you on.
I don't need some internet video to know all the studies are BS, no need to analyze it. You either already know that or you don't want to and can't be convinced.

View Quote

I fear that you’re missing our point here.

The video is a really good takedown of sone current headline anti-keto propaganda.

The point, which I’m sure you already know, is that agenda-driven ‘nutritionists’ lie.

Every time they open their mouth. Meat bad. Flour good.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 10:51:35 AM EDT
[#23]
I fear that you’re missing our point here.
The video is a really good takedown of sone current headline anti-keto propaganda.
The point, which I’m sure you already know, is that agenda-driven ‘nutritionists’ lie.
Every time they open their mouth. Meat bad. Flour good.
View Quote

I know the point, I just think it's preaching to the choir. If you enjoy that then have at it.
FDA lies, CDC lies, News lies, climate change, push the covid vax, it's all  agenda-driven.
At this point I quit caring until we pop Pmags.

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 6:49:56 AM EDT
[#24]

I know the point, I just think it's preaching to the choir. If you enjoy that then have at it.
FDA lies, CDC lies, News lies, climate change, push the covid vax, it's all  agenda-driven.
At this point I quit caring until we pop Pmags.

View Quote

This. White noise.

Whatever your ‘food religion’, something has changed since the 80’s and it’s made America horribly unhealthy.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 10:00:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By AA717driver:

This. White noise.

Whatever your ‘food religion’, something has changed since the 80’s and it’s made America horribly unhealthy.
View Quote

A perspective:

What happened in the US beginning in the late 70's and early 80's?

The major food companies started to push "low fat" and "non-fat" processed foods.  I mean, you literally could buy NON-fat Ding Dongs, and Chocolate Chip cookies.  They were indeed "non-fat".

However, they were loaded with sugar and Carbs.  Americans took the "non-fat" bait and gobbled it up like Pez candy.  During the nect 4 decades what did we see?

The obesity rate exploded. And here we are today with 70% of the population being "overweight".  60% of this group is considered to be Obese.

Note:  both the Food Companies and the Federal Government foisted this "non-fat" food plan on us.  It's all about cash.

CMOS
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:23:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By CMOS:

A perspective:

What happened in the US beginning in the late 70's and early 80's?

The major food companies started to push "low fat" and "non-fat" processed foods.  I mean, you literally could buy NON-fat Ding Dongs, and Chocolate Chip cookies.  They were indeed "non-fat".

However, they were loaded with sugar and Carbs.  Americans took the "non-fat" bait and gobbled it up like Pez candy.  During the nect 4 decades what did we see?

The obesity rate exploded. And here we are today with 70% of the population being "overweight".  60% of this group is considered to be Obese.

Note:  both the Food Companies and the Federal Government foisted this "non-fat" food plan on us.  It's all about cash.

CMOS
View Quote

I don't remember that until maybe the late 80's early 90's. I call it the "smart well cookie era".   People were still mostly normally proportioned in the 70's and most of the 80's. The food pyramid was not taught in 70's home-ec classes, it was food groups of some type.

There was even a cereal commercial with "pinch and inch" in it, as you shouldn't be able to pinch more than an inch of your belly. Now that would be considered "too skinny" lol

But another thing has changed, and continues to be a thing - the phenomena of not weighing oneself, not using a scale. Because it was thought that if you eat like an endurance athlete, you would become one. You would have muscles and muscle weighs more than fat.

Except muscles don't look like chewed gum. I actually remember sitting in the break room at work (in the 90's) with coworkers chowing down on bagels and rice (bagels were considered a health food then, because healthy food involved one thing - carbs) talking about eating all they want oblivious to the fact they were actually getting fatter.

That's also when the term "muffin top" was coined.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 3:40:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By gitarmac:

Except muscles don't look like chewed gum. I actually remember sitting in the break room at work (in the 90's) with coworkers chowing down on bagels and rice (bagels were considered a health food then, because healthy food involved one thing - carbs) talking about eating all they want oblivious to the fact they were actually getting fatter.

That's also when the term "muffin top" was coined.
View Quote

Exactly my point.

CMOS
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 8:31:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AA717driver] [#28]
Back doing keto. Before, I failed because I ate too many calories. Now, I’m eating a lot fewer. Is eating too few calories a detriment to losing weight?
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 11:36:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By AA717driver:
Back doing keto. Before, I failed because I ate too many calories. Now, I'm eating a lot fewer. Is eating too few calories a detriment to losing weight?
View Quote
Everything I've read is that calorie counting is a waste of time.  Once you're fat adapted, your body can take energy from dietary fat and body fat.  A fat-rich diet; you'll pretty much eat as much as you need or even can.  I'm down to one meal a day and most times, I'm not really hungery 24 hours later.

Bottom line:  I wouldn't worry about it.  Good luck!

Link Posted: 11/24/2023 11:54:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#30]
Between visiting my Mom for a week and Thanksgiving I didn't do keto for two weeks, choosing to do low carb (50 grams or less) instead.

I'm back on today.  

Turkey Salad
Attachment Attached File

Diced Turkey
Red Jalapenos
Green Jalapenos
Cowhorn Peppers
Green Onions
Dijon Mustard
Mayo

Served on a Romaine lettuce wrap.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 2:42:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Between visiting my Mom for a week and Thanksgiving I didn't do keto for two weeks, choosing to do low carb (50 grams or less) instead.

I'm back on today.  

Turkey Salad
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/174498/IMG_1555_JPEG-3038383.JPG
Diced Turkey
Red Jalapenos
Green Jalapenos
Cowhorn Peppers
Green Onions
Dijon Mustard
Mayo

Served on a Romaine lettuce wrap.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/174498/IMG_1558_JPEG-3038441.JPG
View Quote

That looks good, and thank you for bumping the thread.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 9:47:36 PM EDT
[#32]
bump
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 3:30:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#33]
There should be a discussion of the downsides of being a Keto diet.  I believe there are many.

For me, the upsides include lowering my A1C from 6.2 to 5.8 (my primary goal) and losing weight from +270 lbs to now around 248 (a happy side effect).  Those are both good of course.  

But there have also been several downsides, some of which are pretty severe IMO.  These include:

- I can't keep my pants on without a belt.  Used to be on some pants, just getting them buttoned up was more than enough to wear them around; now they are loose as a goose without a belt.

- Belts that were on their last hole are now close to useless since I'm either on the next to first hole or actually on the first hole.  No biggie if you get your belts from the local thrift shop; Big Biggie if you buy gun belts from TheBeltman or Hanks Belts.

- Wooden bench seats are no longer comfortable; obviously the lack of in-built butt area padding rears its ugly head.  Who could have predicted this?

Some here might not like discussing the downsides of Keto in an obviously pro-Keto thread, but I think it's important; especially for the newbies.  They need to know the potential catastrophic downsides.  It's only fair.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 4:15:12 PM EDT
[#34]
There should be a discussion of the downsides of being a Keto diet.  I believe there are many.

For me, the upsides include lowering my A1C from 6.2 to 5.8 (my primary goal) and losing weight from +270 lbs to now around 248 (a happy side effect).  Those are both good of course.  

But there have also been several downsides, some of which are pretty severe IMO.  These include:

- I can't keep my pants on without a belt.  Used to be on some pants, just getting them buttoned up was more than enough to wear them around; now they are loose as a goose without a belt.

- Belts that were on their last hole are now close to useless since I'm either on the next to first hole or actually on the first hole.  No biggie if you get your belts from the local thrift shop; Big Biggie if you buy gun belts from TheBeltman or Hanks Belts.

- Wooden bench seats are no longer comfortable; obviously the lack of in-built butt area padding rears its ugly head.  Who could have predicted this?

Some here might not like discussing the downsides of Keto in an obviously pro-Keto thread, but I think it's important; especially for the newbies.  They need to know the potential catastrophic downsides.  It's only fair.
View Quote

Yeah Nowadays I have to walk for MILES to even start to get winded. Exercise takes forever now.

Link Posted: 12/6/2023 4:16:34 PM EDT
[#35]
I still had all the clothes from 20 years ago before I got fat so I wear them now.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 12:33:14 PM EDT
[#36]

Yeah Nowadays I have to walk for MILES to even start to get winded. Exercise takes forever now.

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 12/8/2023 2:56:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tangotag] [#37]
4 days in and down 8 pounds. It’s so hard, not really.
Just have to stick with it for a while. Last time 8 months took off 80 pounds another 8 months for the final 20 pounds.
Went into PowerLifting and eating for muscle gain. Then over a number of years and passion about food put a big ole pile back on.
Going mostly very low carb, felt the keto flu jitters yesterday but none today.
Once adapted, I’ll eat enough to support some strength maintenance work.  Looking forward to looking back through the thread for new to me recipes and food suggestions.
The mental clarity and focus is coming back. It’s like living in a fog for a number of years in comparison. Some people get through life with never experiencing that.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 10:02:34 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

Take two boxes of Twinkies and call me in the morning.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 10:41:37 AM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

CMOS  
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 1:15:31 PM EDT
[#40]

CMOS  
View All Quotes

CMOS  
Butt.  Stick.  Remove.

Link Posted: 12/26/2023 1:23:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#41]
Rutabaga Fries in the air fryer.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Perfect complement to the left over LC Chicken Cordon Bleu.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 1:56:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Cooking collard greens.  Thinking about doing corn (almond) dodgers but will probably just do Jalapeno cornbread.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 12:28:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Anyone ever do a really low-carb etouffee?

I'm thinking of making a roux with some Carbquik flour and using cauliflower instead of rice.

I have some homemade venison (with heart!) andouille sausage smoking right now over peach tree limbs.

It's hard to make such things without getting the itch to chop them up into an etouffee.

Link Posted: 12/30/2023 3:23:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Venison heart andouille:

Link Posted: 12/30/2023 3:47:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Went off the deep end for Christmas and day after.  Lots of cookies, fried chicken, beef sandwiches, beer, all sorts of stuff

Woke up Christmas might/next day with my heart pounding like a drum. Almost got my wife to take me to the hospital it was getting so bad. Started some deep breathing exercises and after about 15 mins (seemed like, might have been shorter):it slowed

First time that happened. Carbs or maybe the keto Kahlua and keto Irish cream.  Made it a cup of allulose each. Donno.

Buy all good now. Back on the wagon (until tomorrow night when I get to drink my Pliney the Elder!)

Also have our half a cow coming in next week or so.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:43:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Fulcrum-5] [#46]
Back on the Keto Wagon for 2024!

Making scrambled eggs and turkey bacon (not really bacon, yes...but I like it and it's reallly filling) for breakfast, and butterflied lamb (sous vide and then a quick sear, garlic/rosemary/salt/pepper) for dinner (if the broccoli I just found in the freezer isn't freezer-burnt, I may sauté that up with it....otherwise: carnivore time).
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:52:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Fulcrum-5:
Back on the Keto Wagon for 2024!

Making scrambled eggs and turkey bacon (not really bacon, yes...but I like it and it's reallly filling) for breakfast, and butterflied lamb (sous vide and then a quick sear, garlic/rosemary/salt/pepper) for dinner.
View Quote

Mmmmm. Lamb.

Link Posted: 1/2/2024 12:14:31 PM EDT
[#48]

Mmmmm. Lamb.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/7/2024 11:23:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Last nights biscuits and gravy:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/47056/6BC4A187-7281-46F0-A8A4-8299288DA256_jpe-2257705.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/47056/F23017E5-4C25-4362-B52F-9787A0A96AAF_jpe-2257706.JPG

Tonight’s pizza crust. 2.5C of carbquick, 2 packs of Fleishman’s yeast, 1c water, 1tbsp oil, 1 tbsp salt, 1tsp sugar, and seasonings for taste. Then I added a full cup of mozzarella:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/47056/image_jpg-2257710.JPG

ETA: I'm going to knead the dough a bit, and if gluten formation is weak, I may add some flour (whole wheat or rye?) to help it a bit. I want a crust that sticks together.
View Quote

So - I revisited this old post last night.

My recipe was ~3.5 cups of carbquik, about 1.5 cups of water, one egg, 1/4 cup of regular (high-carb) flour, a dash of oil, two packs of yeast, and seasonings (no salt, as the cheese I added later had salt in it). I let that rise for a while then worked in a cup of riced cauliflower and a cup of shredded mozzarella.

We had some leftover marinara with meat in it and I pureed that for a base sauce and added more ground beef and breakfast sausage plus parmesan and mozzarella cheeses and a bit of american cheese and some sliced bell peppers and some sliced salami in lieu of pepperoni since we had that sitting in the refrigerator open. I also made a second pie that was just cheese on one side and homemade Alfredo sauce and baked chicken and red bell peppers and cheese on the other side.

I cleaned our stove out (when I started making wood fired pizzas at home it was in the barn, now we have a stove in the house) yesterday afternoon and built a small, fresh fire so I'd have a small bed of coals to work with. By ~5;45 the fire was ready to cook on, and I stuck my campfire grate in the stove, using my welding gloves.

My biggest mistake in the past was in trying to cook the pizza on a cold stone.

Last night I assembled the pizzas on aluminum foil and preheated the stone then plopped the foil right down on the hot stone for cooking.

Upside: it allowed me to not have to handle a hot stone in my living room.
Downside: I had to get creative to unstick the aluminum foil.

Pizzas took about 7 minutes to cook last night, but we cooked two and the kids were really hungry so there was a 20-minute window once I started preheating the stone, where I was too busy to think to take pictures. But the hot stone definitely made the crust better - honestly I thought my crust was as good as a low-carb crust could get - despite having to deal with the foil (I don't have a nonstick pan like a restaurant would use to prepare the pie before sliding it onto the stone - so I was improvising).

Aluminum foil is safe, as I understand it, up to around 1000 degrees, and melts around 1200. I figure a stove with a small bed of coals is probably around 600-800 degrees tops. Obviously, if there'd been any sign of the aluminum foil melting I would have scrapped the idea. But it handled it fine.

So, the pizza went onto the hot stone, cooked for ~7 minutes, spinning it halfway at the 3 minute mark so it cooked evenly, and then we placed a greased sheet of foil on top of the pizza, a thin pan on top of that, and flipped it over so we could peel the foil off the (nice brown well-cooked) crust. Then we flipped it back over. Yes, that worked pretty well, though it sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Anyway, no pics, but it was quite tasty. As usual, when I eat a meal with a bit of fiber in it (carquik is mostly fiber) I feel very (physically, not mentally) full afterwards, and I don't like that feeling, so I won't do this often, but it's nice every now and then, and the kids love being involved with such a thing, especially when I made them the plain 'cheese stick' pizza they wanted.

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 3:06:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Stove burgers:

Page / 350
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top