User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 349
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:05:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jestertoo:
I made the cauliflower pizzacrust tonight. I failed at making pizza, but it was till tasty.

I think I need to bake the crust a lot longer before putting toppings on it.
View Quote
Use canned chicken breast.

Drain.  Really mash up the chicken.  Add an egg, salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese.

Flatten out and bake till desired consistency.  Then put toppings on.

If it is is too salty for you try rinsing the chicken breast.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 7:25:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Attachment Attached File
Here is February so far for me.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 9:14:32 AM EDT
[#3]
had a disappointing meeting with some folks I hadnt seen since last May. Instead of telling me I looked great or congrats on the 80lbs lost or simply saying nothing I got a dozen questions of if I was OK, sick, starving, etc. I was told I looked much older because I had some wrinkles that previously didnt exist (because my face and neck was so fat, thank you very much). Not exactly what I was expecting. I feel better than I have in 30 years but now am concerned I have gone too far. I am not vain but at the same time do care, to a small degree, what others think. I work in a "people" field and image and appearance matter. Anyone else run into this sort of thing when losing a lot of weight? Can you go too far? FTR, I am 50, 6'0", 182 lbs.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 9:52:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: grady] [#4]
Originally Posted By 03PSD:
had a disappointing meeting with some folks I hadnt seen since last May. Instead of telling me I looked great or congrats on the 80lbs lost or simply saying nothing I got a dozen questions of if I was OK, sick, starving, etc. I was told I looked much older because I had some wrinkles that previously didnt exist (because my face and neck was so fat, thank you very much). Not exactly what I was expecting. I feel better than I have in 30 years but now am concerned I have gone too far. I am not vain but at the same time do care, to a small degree, what others think. I work in a "people" field and image and appearance matter. Anyone else run into this sort of thing when losing a lot of weight? Can you go too far? FTR, I am 50, 6'0", 182 lbs.
View Quote
This happens a lot. People get used to seeing you a certain way and anything different is not “you” in their mind.

I dropped 50 lbs. and I had people telling me I shouldn’t lose any more weight because I didn’t look good and it’s not healthy. But I still had plenty of fat to lose.

My response is “so you’re telling me that I need to get fat again to get healthy?”

I’ll concede that as a former big guy (used to be lean at 6’2” at over 200) I’d rather be bigger. But that gets fixed under the bar.

What’s funny is now that I’ve been in the low-mid 180s for 7 months, I get compliments from the same people.

As to your question, it would be really, really hard to go too far absent a real eating disorder. I’m close to your age. Now 185. I’m still at 20% body fat. I’d like to get to below 15% which means I need to drop another 10-12 in fat. I don’t like that weight because it’s not “big” but I will increase it by lifting.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:12:04 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote
That's because they are used to seeing the larger you and also because of body mass inflation.

In some of these diet threads people will post their goal/ideal weight. Frequently these weights are still in the chubby range.

"Normal" is the new emaciated. If you look at pics from the 40's and 50's you would see mostly very slender people. Even strong strapping working men were slender. People didn't turn into pot bellies when they aged either.  WTF is it with all the pot bellies. Even thin people have pot bellies.

If I were you I would be the opposite of dissapointed. Those reactions mean you are becoming what you are supposed to be, which is not considered normal in this day and age.

Congratulations and keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:39:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I made the cauliflower pizzacrust tonight. I failed at making pizza, but it was till tasty.

View Quote
did you try squeezing the water out of the cauliflower first and letting it sit to room temp for about 30 minutes?
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 11:42:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 11:44:35 AM EDT
[#8]
View Quote
You're fine. 6' 150lb here and I get that too, occasionally. The "norm" in the USA is now overweight.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 11:46:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By BCV:
did you try squeezing the water out of the cauliflower first and letting it sit to room temp for about 30 minutes?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BCV:

I did squeeze as much water out of it as I could, but I didn't have 30 minutes to waste. It was mildly warm still when I combined and baked.  I think I just need to bake it another 10 minutes, or maybe try moving the paper directly to the rack.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:57:14 PM EDT
[#10]
What's time limit on fasting?  I'm approaching 92 hours of only water and still don't feel hungry.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:00:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Rezneck:
What's time limit on fasting?  I'm approaching 92 hours of only water and still don't feel hungry.
View Quote
Ask Jesus
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:49:20 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote
It's funny how that happens. People perception of normal these days it so skewed that they think a healthy body weight is a problem.

Even I get comments from people who haven't seen me in a long time. They ask the same questions. I'm still fat by the way at 6'2" 237 lbs @ 36. People were just used to seeing me at or above 300. Even my mom who I see monthly at least voices her concern that I'm losing too much weight. My dad asks "But, aren't you afraid you'll have loose skin?" They worry that I'm getting an "unhealthy obsession" with my weight and being skinny. Or, that I'll develop an eating disorder.

At the beginning, they were the same people raising concern about my cholesterol or blood pressure. Saying I'm gonna have a heart attack and such. It's like they are trying to find something wrong with what I'm doing in order to make themselves feel better about living in the status quo and not trying to improve their own life. The more I prove them wrong the deeper they dig.

It's crazy, but often times its the people close to you who voice the most concern. It's an interesting psychological game they play (and they don't even know their doing it).

They can get fucked.

I'm getting skinny, then I'm getting ripped. I'll see them on the other side.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:52:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By dupemaster:
It's funny how that happens. People perception of normal these days it so skewed that they think a healthy body weight is a problem.

Even I get comments from people who haven't seen me in a long time. They ask the same questions. I'm still fat by the way at 6'2" 237 lbs @ 36. People were just used to seeing me at or above 300. Even my mom who I see monthly at least voices her concern that I'm losing too much weight. My dad asks "But, aren't you afraid you'll have loose skin?" They worry that I'm getting an "unhealthy obsession" with my weight and being skinny. Or, that I'll develop an eating disorder.

At the beginning, they were the same people raising concern about my cholesterol or blood pressure. Saying I'm gonna have a heart attack and such. It's like they are trying to find something wrong with what I'm doing in order to make themselves feel better about living in the status quo and not trying to improve their own life. The more I prove them wrong the deeper they dig.  

It's crazy, but often times its the people close to you who voice the most concern. It's an interesting psychological game they play (and they don't even know their doing it).

They can get fucked.

View All Quotes

They can get fucked.

Nailed it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:36:32 PM EDT
[#14]

They can get fucked.

View Quote
@dupemaster when you begin publishing your newsletter please let me know so I can promptly subscribe. I dont want to miss a single issue.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:49:04 PM EDT
[#15]
@dupemaster when you begin publishing your newsletter please let me know so I can promptly subscribe. I dont want to miss a single issue.  
View All Quotes

They can get fucked.

Lol, thanks.

I'm not sure I'll ever do a news letter, but I did do a vlog (that I keep saying I'll start again...)

I actually have one where I talk about this a bit. I'll see if I can dig it up.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Well I'm on day 3 of finally eating low carb again after months of struggling with various issues. Dropped down the levels over the past week after Bassgasm's suggestion.

Already feeling better than I have for a while.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 5:22:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By grady:
Nailed it.
View All Quotes

They can get fucked.

Nailed it.
Depends. Family can genuinely care about you. First they care you aren't healthy because you are overweight with bad numbers. Then if they see you sporadically and you've lost a lot of weight in between, that usually means sickness, not a healthy lifestyle change. They'll get used to it, especially once you normalize it.

That being said, if they are doing it out of jealousy, ignore them.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 5:30:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dupemaster] [#18]
Lol, thanks.

I'm not sure I'll ever do a news letter, but I did do a vlog (that I keep saying I'll start again...)

View All Quotes

They can get fucked.

Lol, thanks.

The good bit starts at 4:30 but for some reason I can embed it to start there...

[youtube]9guSy0yx6NA?t=4m30s[/youtube]
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 5:40:52 PM EDT
[#19]

*Snip*
IMy dad asks "But, aren't you afraid you'll have loose skin?" They worry that I'm getting an "unhealthy obsession" with my weight and being skinny. Or, that I'll develop an eating disorder.

*Snip*

View Quote
Lol! They would rather you fit your loose skin! Lol!

I read a thing on Facebook that had some people's weight loss phases. The loose skin was a real bummer but luckily is easily fixed. Some people had 30 and 40 lbs of skin removed. The one guy is a fitness competitor.

It's amazing what they can do now.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 5:47:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By gitarmac:
Lol! They would rather you fit your loose skin! Lol!

I read a thing on Facebook that had some people's weight loss phases. The loose skin was a real bummer but luckily is easily fixed. Some people had 30 and 40 lbs of skin removed. The one guy is a fitness competitor.

It's amazing what they can do now.
View Quote
yeah but i seriously doubt any insurance would cover the typical kinds of weight loss we are talking about here and short of TLC My 600lb Life picking up the tab I dont even want to know what the cost of skin removal surgery would run.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 6:44:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By aeroworksxp:
Some people seem to forget that if your trying to lose weight, you need to eat limited fat.  Every bit of fat your eating is that much fat not coming off the body. Your fat body has TONS of stored fat ready to be plucked.  But your body will gladly take from dietary fat before it chews into the body reserves. That is the entire point of keto for weight loss.

Your not going to lose weight eating a keto MAINTENANCE diet.

I HIGHLY recommend you track your carbs,cals,fat for at least 2 weeks so you train yourself on what to eat within the parameters of the macros numbers for your diet.
View Quote
LOLWUT?

Do you even Keto, brah?
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 9:32:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jestertoo] [#22]
Originally Posted By diggerwolf:
LOLWUT?

Do you even Keto, brah?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By diggerwolf:
Originally Posted By aeroworksxp:
Some people seem to forget that if your trying to lose weight, you need to eat limited fat.  Every bit of fat your eating is that much fat not coming off the body. Your fat body has TONS of stored fat ready to be plucked.  But your body will gladly take from dietary fat before it chews into the body reserves. That is the entire point of keto for weight loss.

Your not going to lose weight eating a keto MAINTENANCE diet.

I HIGHLY recommend you track your carbs,cals,fat for at least 2 weeks so you train yourself on what to eat within the parameters of the macros numbers for your diet.
LOLWUT?

Do you even Keto, brah?
Did you read his whole post? He's talking about keto weight loss, not keto maintenance diets.
Protein is a target based on your muscle mass.
carbs are a hard limit
Fat up to your calorie goal. Don't eat if you aren't hungry, your body will pull it from stores.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 9:18:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Miles_Urbanus] [#23]
Down 24.9 lbs in 64 days with 100% strict adherence to Keto and roughly half the time on a 16:8 Intermittent Fasting plan (lunch/dinner) and half on one meal a day (23:1) evening meal.

Any advantages to a planned cheat meal? I have no desire or cravings. Only interested in weight loss advantage to a cheat meal carb increase. The primary case I’ve heard for cheat meals is a psychological break which I don’t want or need. But I have read about resetting or boosting leptin and Insulin levels with a planned cheat. Have 16 more lbs to go roughly 2 months to go of cutting.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 9:47:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Miles_Urbanus:
Down 24.9 lbs in 64 days with 100% strict adherence to Keto and roughly half the time on a 16:8 Intermittent Fasting plan (lunch/dinner) and half on one meal a day (23:1) evening meal.

Any advantages to a planned cheat meal? I have no desire or cravings. Only interested in weight loss advantage to a cheat meal carb increase. The primary case I’ve heard for cheat meals is a psychological break which I don’t want or need. But I have read about resetting or boosting leptin and Insulin levels with a planned cheat. Have 16 more lbs to go roughly 2 months to go of cutting.
View Quote
Modest cheat meals helped me. Beer or two OR a slice of pizza or two. Usually it was some sort of dinner with my wife where I would add a carb..
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 9:49:01 AM EDT
[#25]
The wife and kids will be away next week, which gives me a great chance to fast. .

I’ve done 72 hours easily with nothing but coffee and water, but I might try for 120 hours.

I’m also thinking about keeping up with my semi-daily shot of MCT oil, but that’s still got a few calories. That probably takes away any bragging rights I’d have for doing a clean 120.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:56:49 AM EDT
[#26]
The wife and kids will be away next week, which gives me a great chance to fast. .

I’ve done 72 hours easily with nothing but coffee and water, but I might try for 120 hours.

I’m also thinking about keeping up with my semi-daily shot of MCT oil, but that’s still got a few calories. That probably takes away any bragging rights I’d have for doing a clean 120.
View Quote
Why are you thinking about the shot of MCT oil?   Is it because of energy problems?   What's a shot to you?  MCT oil is a fat, so it's very energy dense.  There are 9 kcals per gram, or roughly 125 kcals in a tablespoon.  But unless you're the size of flee, who likes diarrhea, you're probably not going to be able to drink enough MCT to fuel your day.   In other words I personally don't think MCT oil is going to matter one way or the other.

Fasting is different for everyone.   There are people who do strict water fasting.  Some who do "fat fasting" where they only consume fat.  Others do dry fasting, where they don't eat or drink, for the duration of the fast.  Still others maintain that as long as you keep your kcals below 500, you're fasting.   So, there are a great many ways to fast.

There are also a great many reasons people fast.  Some do it for "spiritual" or emotional strength.  Some people do iit for the challenge of it.  Others do it to promote autophagy and healing, and to reduce inflammation in the body.    ...as far as weight loss goes.

If you're doing it for fat loss, you probably want to use the water fast.  But that's just my opinion.   There are lots of people who say fat fasting is just as effective for weightloss.   Everyone is different.   Do what works for you.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 11:12:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Qweevox:
Why are you thinking about the shot of MCT oil?   Is it because of energy problems?   What's a shot to you?  MCT oil is a fat, so it's very energy dense.  There are 9 kcals per gram, or roughly 125 kcals in a tablespoon.  But unless you're the size of flee, who likes diarrhea, you're probably not going to be able to drink enough MCT to fuel your day.   In other words I personally don't think MCT oil is going to matter one way or the other.

Fasting is different for everyone.   There are people who do strict water fasting.  Some who do "fat fasting" where they only consume fat.  Others do dry fasting, where they don't eat or drink, for the duration of the fast.  Still others maintain that as long as you keep your kcals below 500, you're fasting.   So, there are a great many ways to fast.

There are also a great many reasons people fast.  Some do it for "spiritual" or emotional strength.  Some people do iit for the challenge of it.  Others do it to promote autophagy and healing, and to reduce inflammation in the body.    ...as far as weight loss goes.

If you're doing it for fat loss, you probably want to use the water fast.  But that's just my opinion.   There are lots of people who say fat fasting is just as effective for weightloss.   Everyone is different.   Do what works for you.
View All Quotes

I’m doing it to accelerate fat loss while I’m not on the less efficient family eating plan and for autophagy.

Autophagy makes me feel great and clears up every stupid blemish, rash, and skin tag I get from time to time.

I guess there’s no need for the MCT other than I enjoy the energy burst I get with that and my morning coffee. I see your point. Why burn MCT when I can burn on-board fat and damaged proteins?
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 11:14:49 AM EDT
[#28]
yeah but i seriously doubt any insurance would cover the typical kinds of weight loss we are talking about here and short of TLC My 600lb Life picking up the tab I dont even want to know what the cost of skin removal surgery would run.
View Quote
You can have things done without insurance. A typical tuck and life costs from 3 to 10K dollars and that includes sometimes altering the abdominal wall.

People, even people in GD expect health care to be free. I remember a thread on dental care and some posters claimed they couldn't get regular dental check-ups because they didn't have insurance. I go 4 times a year without insurance. It's a little over a hundred bucks.

Plastic surgeons offer payment plans. I know these things because I have coworkers that have had some work done.

Again it depends on how intensive the surgery is. Dupe is small compared to some of the ones I read about. A simple lift would probably be easy.

Again it depends on where you live. One thing is for certain, if insurance covered it your part would be whatever it costs now. Insurance drives costs up.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 11:41:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By gitarmac:

You can have things done without insurance. A typical tuck and life costs from 3 to 10K dollars and that includes sometimes altering the abdominal wall.

People, even people in GD expect health care to be free. I remember a thread on dental care and some posters claimed they couldn't get regular dental check-ups because they didn't have insurance. I go 4 times a year without insurance. It's a little over a hundred bucks.

Plastic surgeons offer payment plans. I know these things because I have coworkers that have had some work done.

Again it depends on how intensive the surgery is. Dupe is small compared to some of the ones I read about. A simple lift would probably be easy.

Again it depends on where you live. One thing is for certain, if insurance covered it your part would be whatever it costs now. Insurance drives costs up.
View Quote
3rd party payers, both public and private, drive up costs.

Any time a consumer is shielded from the total up front cost of a commodity, product, or service, the costs tends to rise.   Education and healthcare are good examples of this effect.   But to a lesser degree even things which can be financed experience the same effect.   Good examples being real estate, and automobiles.

Any time you remove natural economic stimuli, you cause this pricing problem.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 2:42:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: munsen] [#30]
I had my last appointment today yesterday (the 22nd) after having my appendix try to murder me. My doctor asked me if I had gone back to my diet. I told her yes I had. She's not happy with me. She says I'm skinny enough and thinks I should stop doing keto. I'm thinking to myself "Why the fuck would I do that?" The whole reason diets don't work for a lot of people is because they say "good enough" and go back to eating the way they used to. Screw that. I'm never going to be fat again.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 6:56:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: grady] [#31]
Originally Posted By munsen:
I had my last appointment today yesterday (the 22nd) after having my appendix try to murder me. My doctor asked me if I had gone back to my diet. I told her yes I had. She's not happy with me. She says I'm skinny enough and thinks I should stop doing keto. I'm thinking to myself "Why the fuck would I do that?" The whole reason diets don't work for a lot of people is because they say "good enough" and go back to eating the way they used to. Screw that. I'm never going to be fat again.
View Quote
Patient: “Doc, every day I pound on my hand with a hammer. My hand is mangled, bloody, and hurts like hell.”

Doc: “Take these pills.”

Patient: “I think I’ll just stop hitting my hand with a hammer.”

Doc: “That sounds unhealthy.”

(Several months later)

Patient: “My hand feels great. It doesn’t hurt, it’s not bleeding, and the scars and bruises are almost gone!”

Doc: “That concerns me. You’re not still not hitting your hand with a hammer are you? I like the progress you’ve made but I think your hand looks good enough. You should go back to beating on it with a hammer.”
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 7:27:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Down 100 lbs in a year, 14 inches off my waist.   Next week I start physical therapy to try to get my back into some kind of shape that doesn't so closely resemble a pretzel.  I'm itching to rebuild muscle lost to an awful lifestyle.  This is the first time I've weighed less than 200 lbs since 1992.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 8:00:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Patient: “Doc, every day I pound on my hand with a hammer. My hand is mangled, bloody, and hurts like hell.”

(Several months later)

Patient: “My hand feels great. It doesn’t hurt, it’s not bleeding, and the scars and bruises are almost gone!”

Doc: “That concerns me. You’re not still not hitting your hand with a hammer are you? I like the progress you’ve made but I think your hand looks good enough. You should go back to beating on it with a hammer.”
View All Quotes

(Several months later)

Not inaccurate
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 9:49:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Khonsu:
Down 100 lbs in a year, 14 inches off my waist.   Next week I start physical therapy to try to get my back into some kind of shape that doesn't so closely resemble a pretzel.  I'm itching to rebuild muscle lost to an awful lifestyle.  This is the first time I've weighed less than 200 lbs since 1992.
View Quote
Congratulations!

Feels good doesn't it
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 10:03:48 AM EDT
[#35]

Congratulations!

Feels good doesn't it
View Quote
I was hoping it would make difference with my back, but after looking at recent xrays I know why it didn't. Surprise!  You have 2 more fractured vertebrae that were either missed 26 years ago when I was injured, or that I somehow aquired since then.  You'd think I would have noticed that.  My knees really appreciate it though.  Sad part is, it wasn't really health issues that got me started. It was vanity.  I saw a picture of myself at a friend's wedding in summer of 2016.  She gave me a framed photo of us and some friends as a late Christmas present in February.  I looked like Wilford Brimely ate William Conrad.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 10:29:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Qweevox] [#36]

(Several months later)

View Quote
Taking 3-6 grams of Cinnamon for 20-40 days lowers blood sugar better then glipizide, about 24%.  ...even after it's discontinued.  Meaning, taking a course reduced participants insulin resistance.   Oh, and it also reduced their cholesterol by 18%.    Do doctors share this information with diabetics, or people they're thinking about putting on diabetic or cholesterol medication?   Does anyone suggest trying cinnamon?

No.  There is absolutely no money to be made on it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 10:41:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Khonsu:

I was hoping it would make difference with my back, but after looking at recent xrays I know why it didn't. Surprise!  You have 2 more fractured vertebrae that were either missed 26 years ago when I was injured, or that I somehow aquired since then.  You'd think I would have noticed that.  My knees really appreciate it though.  Sad part is, it wasn't really health issues that got me started. It was vanity.  I saw a picture of myself at a friend's wedding in summer of 2016.  She gave me a framed photo of us and some friends as a late Christmas present in February.  I looked like Wilford Brimely ate William Conrad.
View Quote
Sorry to hear that.

It must have been very difficult for you to carry an extra 100 lbs with bad knees and a broken back.   A lot of people might have used that as an excuse NOT to lose weight.  But you didn't, congratulations.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 10:52:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Geohans] [#38]
Dietary fat consumption is a way of speeding adaption.  Think "priming the pump."

It's also easier than jumping straight into fasting.  It leads to satiety.  It fulfills the psychological habit of putting stuff in your mouth at certain times of day.

And remember, it takes MONTHS for all your cells and organs to be retrained to be efficient users of ketone bodies.

But of course, if your goal is extreme fat loss, you will have to restrict total calories at some point.  However, early in the process of adaption it's quite possible  to lose weight without cutting calories, simply by switching macros away from carbs.

And the real kicker:  once you're keto adapted, you will eat fewer calories because there are no carbs interfering with your natural hunger, or lack thereof.  An avocado with olives, feta and olive oil will leave you sated for hours, whereas the same number of calories of pizza will leave you craving food again in a couple hours.

The biggest difference in getting the carbs out of the picture is the fact that  if you restrict calories but keep cars in, your metabolism slows, you feel tired, you keep your cravings alive, and you retain water, and stimulate insulin which causes your body to resist burning its own fat.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 3:09:10 PM EDT
[#39]
5 days down and the piss strip still says 0 ketons.

Haven't had a day over 30 total grams of carbs.  Most of those from celery, avocado, and green peppers; I'm assuming my net carbs are closer to 15-20.

Proteins have been about 30% of total calories.

Down 2 pounds so far.

I'm going to continue to stick with it for the 90 days minimum I intended to but hoping to "get into ketosis" sooner than later.  My wife is continually getting darker on the strips but I'm just sitting at 0.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 3:28:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Qweevox] [#40]
Originally Posted By ShockTroopT:

Haven't had a day over 30 total grams of carbs.  Most of those from celery, avocado, and green peppers; I'm assuming my net carbs are closer to 15-20.

Down 2 pounds so far.

I'm going to continue to stick with it for the 90 days minimum I intended to but hoping to "get into ketosis" sooner than later.  My wife is continually getting darker on the strips but I'm just sitting at 0.
View Quote
Unless you're a paraplegic hobbit, you're in ketosis.

Your liver can only store 400-600 kcals of glycogen, and your muscles don't share.   So, 30 grams of carbs a day = 120 kcals.   IF your BMR is around 2000 kcals, your body is having to produce 1880 kcals from somewhere.   ....fats, and possibly protein, through gluconeogenesis, which is a last resort sort of metabolic process.  (but I won't get into that here)

The piss strips are an unreliable novelty, we all use when we first go down this path.   They could be a bad batch of ketone strips, maybe they're too old, who knows.  At the end of the day it's just math.

If you're not eating carbs (sugars), you're burning one of the other two macros for fuel.  Burning fat for fuel is much easier then burning protein.   Most people have gone into ketosis every single day of their life, when they fast overnight.   It's not a magical metabolic state.   It's one that prevents you from dying between feedings.   If we couldn't do it, we'd be dropping dead after we burned our liver glycogen.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 3:30:16 PM EDT
[#41]

(Several months later)

View All Quotes

(Several months later)

Truth.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 8:48:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Was at the VA today for a podiatrist appointment. Head of Podiatry comes in, says my sugars are still too high and I need to talk to my Primary Care Doc about it. Tell him I've already got an appointment next week, and I'm going to be starting the Keto diet as well. He wasn't real happy about that, especially when one of the residents also in the room piped up with "Oh yeah, been on that for awhile now. Really works good". Bossman says he's making an appointment for me with a nutritionist. I think a certain resident had a little chat after. LOL.

Started tonight, a nice chuck steak cooked in olive oil, a bowl of spinach with butter, and some sharp cheddar with it. Day 1. Boxed up all the prepared food, also bought spinach, broccoli, bell peppers, and ground beef. Butter and olive oil as well.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 4:14:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: munsen] [#43]
Originally Posted By snuffy19608:
Was at the VA today for a podiatrist appointment. Head of Podiatry comes in, says my sugars are still too high and I need to talk to my Primary Care Doc about it. Tell him I've already got an appointment next week, and I'm going to be starting the Keto diet as well. He wasn't real happy about that, especially when one of the residents also in the room piped up with "Oh yeah, been on that for awhile now. Really works good". Bossman says he's making an appointment for me with a nutritionist. I think a certain resident had a little chat after. LOL.

Started tonight, a nice chuck steak cooked in olive oil, a bowl of spinach with butter, and some sharp cheddar with it. Day 1. Boxed up all the prepared food, also bought spinach, broccoli, bell peppers, and ground beef. Butter and olive oil as well.
View Quote
See nutritionist.
Disregard advice.

Unless of course they recommend you limit your carbs to <30g per day. Then they might be one of the good ones.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 6:43:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Weighed in at 217lbs this morning down 2lbs from last week.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 6:51:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By ShockTroopT:

Down 2 pounds so far.

View Quote
Get a Precision Xtra glucose/ketone monitor.  Then get glucose and ketone strips.  Meter is about $30; ketone strips are 1-2 bucks each on Ebay.  Glucose strips like fifty cents.

It's worth it if you want to do this right and can spare the change.  Make it a hobby.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 6:53:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By snuffy19608:

View Quote
Prepare for a couple "down" days, depending on your metabolism.  Water and salt are your friends.  Make some chicken soup.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 8:14:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Qweevox] [#47]
Originally Posted By Geohans:

Get a Precision Xtra glucose/ketone monitor.  Then get glucose and ketone strips.  Meter is about $30; ketone strips are 1-2 bucks each on Ebay.  Glucose strips like fifty cents.

It's worth it if you want to do this right and can spare the change.  Make it a hobby.
View Quote
I've heard good things about the Precision.  I can add another worth a look.   Keto Mojo

I recently bought one on Amazon, but if you go to their website you can get a few bucks off.   50 strips are less than $50.   So about a $1 a strip.    Their glucose strip are cheap as well.   I tested it with keto control solution, so it's accurate.

The urine strips are almost worthless for our purposes.   They were originally used to help diabetics test for signs of ketoacidosis.  They don't even measure BHB, just excess acetoacetate in the urine which in my experience decreases to nothing after you've adapted.  I could be about 2 mmol/L BHB, and piss nothing on a strip.

And after all Beta hydroxybutyrate is what we seek.   These testers are also valuable for life hackers to calculate their Glucose Ketone ratio.

1.5ish-3 mmol/L seems optimal for fat loss
3-6 mmol/L for therapeutic ketosis (e.g. autophagy and longevity, fighting cancer)

By my 36th hour water fasting, mine will shoot up to 4 and 5's but seems to level out.   My blood glucose will drop through the floor.   I've seen it as low as 48 with no symptoms of hypoglycemia.   But usually it's in the 50-70 range while fasting.   Of course I'm not diabetic, and my normal range is fairly low, as is my A1C.

As I said before the urine ketone strips are almost worthless.   They're more of an unreliable binary indicator, not a measurement.  If you piss any color you're probably in ketosis, if you have no color you still might be in ketosis.   If you piss dark you might be in heavy ketosis, if it's faint, you still might be in heavy ketosis.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 11:28:52 AM EDT
[#48]

Sorry to hear that.

It must have been very difficult for you to carry an extra 100 lbs with bad knees and a broken back.   A lot of people might have used that as an excuse NOT to lose weight.  But you didn't, congratulations.
View Quote
My knees aren't exactly bad yet, but if I had let them carry that much extra weight for much longer I would surely have even more problems to deal with.

Anyone have any suggestions on a decent looking belt for casual wear?  I've been through 2 so far and have a few pant sizes to go.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 9:49:46 PM EDT
[#49]
17 Pounds after 3 weeks today.  Unfortunately a pork steak with beans and rice dressing broke me. Guess a week set back wont be bad . Should I fast tomorrow to get back in again?
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 10:05:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By lafmedic1:
17 Pounds after 3 weeks today.  Unfortunately a pork steak with beans and rice dressing broke me. Guess a week set back wont be bad . Should I fast tomorrow to get back in again?
View Quote
No, just eat when you are hungry. Keep it keto and don't worry about it too much.
Page / 349
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top