BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 415
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:41:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

what a disaster. i'm assuming no one better would take the job. good luck texans fans. oof...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- A new GM that comes from an organization that hasn't drafted a Pro Bowler in 7 years.

- A 65 year old HC in his first gig after only having been a coordinator for two years in the 80's for a small college.

- No draft picks in the first two rounds.

- $18.3M OVER the 2021 cap.

- Coming off a 4-12 season despite having a top 10 QB play every game.

- A pissed off franchise QB that wants out.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BitterMetallicCommongonolek-small.gif

what a disaster. i'm assuming no one better would take the job. good luck texans fans. oof...

That's what I said too, but the more I look at it the more it seems like "well, I didn't have any good options for a wife so I guess I'll marry this 60 year old homeless bag lady I found passed out in an alley with syringes in her arms."

There was really no one else you possibly could have gotten that was better than that?
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:53:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

You're right.  It's not uncommon to hear "A Rod."  It's just that for pretty much every sports fan that's not also a Packers' fan "A Rod" means Alex Rodriguez.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In the same sentence the Packers announcer called Rodgers “A Rod” and then emphatically claimed the Rodger’s INT was actually caught by the WR and needed to be corrected by his partner.

Hard to say which part of the sentence made him sound worse.  Probably the “A Rod” part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHq9jQ9O7nY

We've done the A rod thing before. It's not an uncommon thing.

You're right.  It's not uncommon to hear "A Rod."  It's just that for pretty much every sports fan that's not also a Packers' fan "A Rod" means Alex Rodriguez.

I don't necessarily mean among fans, although it is common there. You'll hear it in sports media, broadcasts, or from former players. Not 100% of the time, but it's not uncommon to hear him referred to that way.

I'm not sure why you think it matters?
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:20:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I don't necessarily mean among fans, although it is common there. You'll hear it in sports media, broadcasts, or from former players. Not 100% of the time, but it's not uncommon to hear him referred to that way.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In the same sentence the Packers announcer called Rodgers “A Rod” and then emphatically claimed the Rodger’s INT was actually caught by the WR and needed to be corrected by his partner.

Hard to say which part of the sentence made him sound worse.  Probably the “A Rod” part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHq9jQ9O7nY

We've done the A rod thing before. It's not an uncommon thing.

I have never heard anyone outside of Packers fans refer to Rodgers as "A Rod."  Probably because in sports media when you say "A Rod" pretty much everyone is going to think "Alex Rodriquez."  I just think it's funny how some Packers fans keep trying to make "A Rod" mean "Aaron Rodgers" and it's never going to happen.  I mean they might as well start calling Aaron Jones "Refrigerator" and Davante Adams "Megatron" while they're at it.

Now that I think about, even some Packers fans here were talking about how dumb it is.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:57:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Did I fucking miss anyone bringing up Chad Wheeler? Holy hell.

Chad Wheeler, former Giant, current Seahawk, about to be a free agent, arrested Monday night for felony domestic violence. Victim called 911, locked herself in the bathroom, dislocated arm, bleeding, said he was killing her.

When police arrived they could hear screaming from inside, forced their way in. Found Wheeler standing over her in the bathroom. Wheeler was uncooperative before being detained. Refused to speak to officers. Reportedly has medication for bi-polar disorder but had not taken it of late.

Incident began when he demanded she bow to him, and when she didn't he grabbed her by the neck and threw her on the bed and strangled her to unconsciousness. When she woke up Wheeler was reportedly standing over her and said, "Wow, you're alive?". She then ran into the bathroom.
View Quote

I saw a clip about it that had Nate "I use to play football" Burleson in the thumbnail.  It started playing and I thought to myself "even on a topic like this I bet he finds a way to shoehorn in that he use to play football in the first 10 seconds."

Sure enough, about 5 seconds into it: "...and being a Seattle Seahawk I just feel ..."

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:13:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I have never heard anyone outside of Packers fans refer to Rodgers as "A Rod."  Probably because in sports media when you say "A Rod" pretty much everyone is going to think "Alex Rodriquez."  I just think it's funny how some Packers fans keep trying to make "A Rod" mean "Aaron Rodgers" and it's never going to happen.  I mean they might as well start calling Aaron Jones "Refrigerator" and Davante Adams "Megatron" while they're at it.

Now that I think about, even some Packers fans here were talking about how dumb it is.
View Quote

I don't think anyone is trying to do anything. I've never been to a "packers fans only" meeting let alone one where we've hatched a scheme to get people to say some nick name, lol. Some people just say it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:14:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I saw a clip about it that had Nate "I use to play football" Burleson in the thumbnail.  It started playing and I thought to myself "even on a topic like this I bet he finds a way to shoehorn in that he use to play football in the first 10 seconds."

Sure enough, about 5 seconds into it: "...and being a Seattle Seahawk I just feel ..."

View Quote

It never fails man. If the betting sites ever put odds on it they'll lose their ass.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:36:32 AM EDT
[#7]
David Culley to TX.......WHO?
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:04:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
David Culley to TX.......WHO?
View Quote

What? You’ve never heard of a 65 year old who has never been a HC at any level and has not even been a coordinator at any level outside of two years in the 80’s at a small college?

What makes it even more hilarious is some people think he is a great hire with the Watson situation in mind.

Texans: okay, Deshaun, we know you’re upset, but we just hired a coach we think you’ll really like.

Watson: who?

Texans: David Culley

Watson: again, who?

Texans: he has over 40 years of coaching experience.

Watson: what NFL teams was he the HC of?

Texans: um.... none.

Watson: what colleges was he the HC of?

Watson: what NFL teams was he a coordinator for?

Watson: what college teams was he a coordinator for?

Texans: he was the OC for Texas El Paso for two years in the 1980’s.

Watson: well what was he doing before this?

Texans: he was the WR coach and “passing game coach” for the Ravens.

Watson: weren’t they dead last in the NFL in passing this season?

Texans: ...
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:07:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What? You’ve never heard of a 65 year old who has never been a HC at any level and has not even been a coordinator at any level outside of two years in the 80’s at a small college?

What makes it even more hilarious is some people think he is a great hire with the Watson situation in mind.

Texans: okay, Deshaun, we know you’re upset, but we just hired a coach we think you’ll really like.

Watson: who?

Texans: David Culley

Watson: again, who?

Texans: he has over 40 years of coaching experience.

Watson: what NFL teams was he the HC of?

Watson: what colleges was he the HC of?

Watson: what NFL teams was he a coordinator for?

Watson: what college teams was he a coordinator for?

Texans: he was the OC for Texas El Paso for two years in the 1980’s.

Watson: well what was he doing before this?

Texans: he was the WR coach and “passing game coach” for the Ravens.

Watson: weren’t they dead last in the NFL in passing this season?

Texans: ...
View Quote

Talk about putting it in perspective...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:04:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:58:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Just yesterday:

Deshaun Watson Gets Advice from James Harden on Leaving Houston | Gridiron Heights S5E21

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:58:49 AM EDT
[#12]

In 25 years as an NFL WR coach he has had a grand total of 7 receivers break 1,000 yards:
Charles Johnson: Pittsburgh Steelers, 1996 - 1008 yards and 3 TDs
Yancey Thigpen: Pittsburgh Steelers, 1997 - 1398 yards and 7 TDs
Terrell Owens: Philadelphia Eagles, 2004 - 1200 yards and 14 TDs
Kevin Curtis: Philadelphia Eagles, 2007 - 1100 yards and 6 TDs
DeSean Jackson: Philadelphia Eagles, 2009 - 1156 yards and 9 TDs
DeSean Jackson: Philadelphia Eagles, 2010 - 1056 yards and 6 TDs
Jeremy Marlin: Kansas City Chiefs, 2015 - 1088 yards and 8 TDs

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:15:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:16:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's what I said too, but the more I look at it the more it seems like "well, I didn't have any good options for a wife so I guess I'll marry this 60 year old homeless bag lady I found passed out in an alley with syringes in her arms."

There was really no one else you possibly could have gotten that was better than that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- A new GM that comes from an organization that hasn't drafted a Pro Bowler in 7 years.

- A 65 year old HC in his first gig after only having been a coordinator for two years in the 80's for a small college.

- No draft picks in the first two rounds.

- $18.3M OVER the 2021 cap.

- Coming off a 4-12 season despite having a top 10 QB play every game.

- A pissed off franchise QB that wants out.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BitterMetallicCommongonolek-small.gif

i guess they could've thrown some Gruden type money at another HC, but from what i heard they interviewed all the leading candidates and this is who they landed.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:17:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

basgasm had a good tweet earlier that expanded on this, he was peterman's QB coach in buffalo when he was the worst QB ever, he was in charge the WRs in B'more when they were a run first offense.

this has got to be the most inept offensive coaching hire of an offensive head coach we have ever seen.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:19:01 PM EDT
[#16]
i'm sure he'll eventually get a HC gig, but does anyone think teams passed on Bieniemy b/c they didn't want to give the chiefs two extra third round picks?
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:21:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
i'm sure he'll eventually get a HC gig, but does anyone think teams passed on Bieniemy b/c they didn't want to give the chiefs two extra third round picks?
View Quote

No. I think it is a two parter of the fact he has gone to the AFCCG and two straight Super Bowls so he isn't available for interviews or to start hiring/working until too late combined with the fact he has (allegedly) not interviewed great.

It's weird to say, but if the Chiefs didn't make the playoffs, or got knocked out early, he might have had a job.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:25:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
He could have passed on job offers. Would you have gone to the Texans or Philly if you were in his position?
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:25:59 PM EDT
[#19]
The Texans' message board is a hilarious combination of people leaving posts that read like suicide notes, people who are in complete denial, and the two sides fighting with each other.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:26:23 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:28:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No. I think it is a two parter of the fact he has gone to the AFCCG and two straight Super Bowls so he isn't available for interviews or to start hiring/working until too late combined with the fact he has (allegedly) not interviewed great.

It's weird to say, but if the Chiefs didn't make the playoffs, or got knocked out early, he might have had a job.
View Quote

but he did interview with several teams, i read somewhere he even interviewed twice with a couple teams.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:29:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Seems the hiring of the new HC was a big FU to Watson...I wonder how much more inept Texan's management can get at this point.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:30:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
He could have passed on job offers. Would you have gone to the Texans or Philly if you were in his position?
View Quote

very true, we talked earlier how his OC gig at the chiefs could be much better than a HC job at a shitty franchise.

i just wonder if giving the chiefs extra picks gave some teams some pause. we discussed that as a possibility earlier in the thread.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:36:58 PM EDT
[#24]
It seems a lot of people are acting like Watson is a victim in all this who was caught completely off guard by the Texans sucking.  I guess they forgot that it was only about 4 months ago when Watson signed his mega $150M+ deal AFTER the Hopkins trade (not to mention EVERYTHING that came before that).

It's like catching your fiance cheating on you a dozen different times since the engagement, you marry her anyway, and then when you catch her cheating yet again you act shocked and demand a divorce.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:46:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:47:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It seems a lot of people are acting like Watson is a victim in all this who was caught completely off guard by the Texans sucking.  I guess they forgot that it was only about 4 months ago when Watson signed his mega $150M+ deal AFTER the Hopkins trade (not to mention EVERYTHING that came before that).

It's like catching your fiance cheating on you a dozen different times since the engagement, you marry her anyway, and then when you catch her cheating yet again you act shocked and demand a divorce.
View Quote

It’s hard to feel sorry for guys after they sign multi million dollar contracts.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Did the numbers for another site, so posting them up here for shits and giggles.

Defensive PPG Post Season (Career):
Rodgers - 26.3 ppg
Peyton - 21.4 ppg
Brady - 20.8 ppg

Defensive PPG Post Season (during Rodgers career):
Brady - 21.6 ppg

Defensive PPG Regular Season (Career):
Rodgers - 21.9 ppg
Peyton - 21.4 (Colts), 20.9 (Broncos) ppg
Brady - 18.4 ppg

Defensive PPG Regular Season (during Rodgers career):
Brady - 21.4 ppg

Offensive PPG Post Season (Career):
Rodgers - 28.8 ppg
Peyton - 22.2 ppg
Brady - 27.2 ppg

Offensive PPG Post Season (during Rodgers career):
Brady - 28.8 ppg

Offensive PPG Regular Season (Career):
Rodgers - 27.2 ppg
Peyton - 27.1 ppg
Brady - 28.1 ppg

Offensive PPG Regular Season (during Rodgers career):
Brady - 29.4 ppg

Alright, now that the wall of numbers are done, what does it say?

Over the course of Brady's entire career his regular season and post season defenses were better than Rodgers. Over the course of RODGERS career, his regular season defense has been nearly identical (0.5 ppg difference) but his defense has played better in the post season by 4.7 points.

Over the course of Brady's entire career his regular season offenses were better than Rodgers both before his arrival, and since he started. His post season offense over his entire career is 1.5 points worse than Rodgers, but over the course of RODGERS career they are exactly identical (0.0 ppg difference).

So, what can you walk away from this with? Brady and Rodgers have offensively been near identical to each other when averaged out over their entire careers, both regular and post season. Their regular season defenses have been nearly identical their entire careers as well. However Rodgers post season defense has under performed to the tune of more than a field goal, but less than a TD per game (just under 5 points).

But we also do know, as we did ad nauseam already, that Rodgers NFCCG numbers are much lower than his career average. Which of course means his other playoff games were slightly above average to make up the difference.

My take on that is that Rodgers and Brady have performed much the same, but Rodgers has not been able to perform to the norm for him or Brady during the games that matter most. Meanwhile Brady's defenses weren't better than Rodgers (based on regular season), but they at least continued their same level of play into the post season while the Packers defense gets to the playoffs and becomes a little worse than they normally are.

Also, this shows Manning defenders who said he never had a defense before Denver are obviously full of shit.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:50:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Seems the hiring of the new HC was a big FU to Watson...I wonder how much more inept Texan's management can get at this point.
View Quote

I use to think it was just incompetence.

However, after the hiring of David Culley (whose resume is one massive red flag after another) I'm convinced that this whole ordeal has been orchestrated by a once bored puppet master who is now laughing his ass off at trolling millions of people.  No one can be THIS incompetent on accident.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:51:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

but he did interview with several teams, i read somewhere he even interviewed twice with a couple teams.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He did a couple of Zoom calls limited to 2 or 3 hours. Texans put in late and had to wait another week before they could do theirs. Unable to do any in-person interviews which typically go 6+ hours long.

Edit: Example of the difference. Leslie Frazier was a finalist along with Culley. Frazier, had done a Zoom call interview, but then after the Bills lost to the Chiefs he was able to fly down and have a longer in person interview that made him the finalist along with Culley. I don't have a single doubt in my mind that if the Chiefs had lost, Bienemy would have been doing that interview.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:59:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It’s hard to feel sorry for guys after they sign multi million dollar contracts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are exceptions though. Romo, for example.  I could write a dissertation on the subject, but I'll just say I don't think any big name athlete in the history of modern American sports has been treated more unfairly harshly than Tony Romo.

Which makes his off the charts level of success in broadcasting even more satisfying to see.

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:04:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Last season, the Texans went 10-6, won their division, and won a playoff game.

The Hopkins trade was an undeniable disaster, but one WR shouldn't take a franchise from a mid-tier playoff team to a 4-12 dumpster fire. Watson signed his contract with what should have still been a competitive team.

Anybody who says they saw the Texans 2020 season playing out this way is full of it.

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:13:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

In cash yes, but doesn't his cap hit include the prorated signing bonus?
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:14:55 PM EDT
[#33]
in other QB news, chatter has grown on the rams parting from Goff.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:16:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i'm sure bassgasm could explain it better, but from what i understand whatever the texans paid goes against their cap. that remaining $27ish per year will be paid by his new team and go against the new teams cap.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:17:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you keep him for the next 3 seasons, which gets you to his opt out/bail out year, then it averages to about 33 million a season cap hit, mostly back loaded, only 16 million next year which is SUPER important with the reduced cap due to Covid. Once you're past the opt out the cap hit actually reduces annually but still averages in the mid 30s.

It's actually a really pro-team weighted contract as they moved a nice portion of the cap hit to the 2020/2021 seasons before the official 4 years of the contract kick in.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:18:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
in other QB news, chatter has grown on the rams parting from Goff.
View Quote

That speculation started 2-3 days ago with comments that Les Snead made, but there's been enough other stuff going on in the league to prevent that from becoming a top story.

The catch is how they can get away from Goff with the contract he has. I don't think there's a good way out.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:19:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The Hopkins trade was an undeniable disaster, but one WR shouldn't take a franchise from a mid-tier playoff team to a 4-12 dumpster fire. Watson signed his contract with what should have still been a competitive team.

Anybody who says they saw the Texans 2020 season playing out this way is full of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS bad? No.  But anyone who didn't see at least something like this happening to the Texans organization as a whole at the time Watson signed his contract wasn't paying very close attention.  All the fuck ups Bill O'Brien made and they gave him a promotion? At that point it became obvious to me.

And now they have a GM that comes from an organization that hasn't drafted a Pro Bowler in 7 years and a 65 year old HC in his first gig after only having been a coordinator for two years in the 80's for a small college hired away from his job as the "passing game coach" of the worst passing team in the NFL.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:24:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That speculation started 2-3 days ago with comments that Les Snead made, but there's been enough other stuff going on in the league to prevent that from becoming a top story.

The catch is how they can get away from Goff with the contract he has. I don't think there's a good way out.
View Quote

Yeah, I don't see any team that is going to want to take over Goff's contract.

And that's not even looking at how he's not very good at this point.  His ceiling has been reached, IMO, and it certainly isn't anywhere near his pay.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:30:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

If you keep him for the next 3 seasons, which gets you to his opt out/bail out year, then it averages to about 33 million a season cap hit, mostly back loaded, only 16 million next year which is SUPER important with the reduced cap due to Covid. Once you're past the opt out the cap hit actually reduces annually but still averages in the mid 30s.

It's actually a really pro-team weighted contract as they moved a nice portion of the cap hit to the 2020/2021 seasons before the official 4 years of the contract kick in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay, that makes sense. The cap stuff is all Greek to me.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:33:04 PM EDT
[#40]
On the Sirius NFL channel this morning I caught the end of discussion regarding trading Stafford to the Saints.

I missed most of the conversation but does anyone think that this is remotely possible given the cap hell and low draft position of the Saints?

Sending Mr Gadget up north would clear up some cap space I suppose.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:37:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
On the Sirius NFL channel this morning I caught the end of discussion regarding trading Stafford to the Saints.

I missed most of the conversation but does anyone think that this is remotely possible given the cap hell and low draft position of the Saints?

View Quote

It's certainly possible.

Brees is actually set to make about $3M more next season than Stafford is so for the 2021 cap that would actually help them if Brees were to retire.  The question is would they be willing to part with the draft capital it would take to get Stafford.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:37:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't think the Saints have a prayer of being competitive this year unless they happen to strike gold with a late round QB pick. The amount of cutting, trading, and restructuring they're going to have to do just to have a legal roster is a nightmare. They certainly can't take on an 8 figure QB contract.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:38:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

THIS bad? No.  But anyone who didn't see at least something like this happening to the Texans organization as a whole at the time Watson signed his contract wasn't paying very close attention.  All the fuck ups Bill O'Brien made and they gave him a promotion? At that point it became obvious to me.

And now they have a GM that comes from an organization that hasn't drafted a Pro Bowler in 7 years and a 65 year old HC in his first gig after only having been a coordinator for two years in the 80's for a small college hired away from his job as the "passing game coach" of the worst passing team in the NFL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There were always going to be questions about the power structure in the Texans front office. The assumption was that O'Brien was seizing more power. It's only been in the last month or so that we've learned about Jack Easterby. Either a coup just happened or it was him the whole time.

The Caserio hire was the turning point. If McNair hires any of the GM candidates proposed to him by the firm he hired, Easterby most likely gets pushed out. Instead, Easterby talked McNair into hiring Caserio, and Easterby is safe because of it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:39:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Speaking of which, top 5 currently highest paid QBs next season:

1. Roethlisberger $41.25M

2. Ryan $40.91M

3. Rodgers $37.57M

4. Brees $36.15M

5. Wentz $34.63M
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:42:51 PM EDT
[#45]
I think the Saints are going to move forward with Winston. It is super cap friendly, everyone knows he can produce, the hope is he has gotten smarter/better at protecting the ball behind Brees this season.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:44:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

And that's not even looking at how he's not very good at this point.  His ceiling has been reached, IMO, and it certainly isn't anywhere near his pay.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Rams might be in a position where a cap dump trade might make sense. By that, I mean the sort of trade where the player gets packaged with draft capital to a team that has space.

We're looking for a team with a hole at QB, lots of cap space, and no top 5 picks. The standouts for 2021 are probably the Colts, Patriots, and WTF assuming none of these teams can land a guy like Stafford or Watson.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:45:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
1. Roethlisberger $41M.25M
2. Ryan $40.91M
3. Rodgers $37.57M
4. Brees $36.15M
5. Wentz $34.63M
View All Quotes
Quoted:
1. Roethlisberger $41M.25M
2. Ryan $40.91M
3. Rodgers $37.57M
4. Brees $36.15M
5. Wentz $34.63M

Not "pay" but cap hit. Posted 2 pages back.

Quoted:
Here are the top 7 cap hits for 2021, and there is a CRAZY amount of uncertainty in this list:
1: Ben Roethlisberger $41.25M
2: Matt Ryan $40.91M
3: Aaron Rodgers $37.57M
4: Drew Brees $36.15M
5: Carson Wentz $34.67M
6: Jared Goff $34.63M
7: Mathew Stafford $33M

Every single QB on that list has the potential to be gone/moved to another team. In the end I think Ben stays, Ryan stays, Rodgers stays, Wentz stays because they simply can't move him and can't cut him. Brees will be retired. Goff and Stafford get moved.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:46:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Due to super limited availability, Super Bowl ticket prices this morning ranged from $7,000 at the lowest, up to $59,000 for HOF Club seating.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I don't think the Saints have a prayer of being competitive this year unless they happen to strike gold with a late round QB pick. The amount of cutting, trading, and restructuring they're going to have to do just to have a legal roster is a nightmare. They certainly can't take on an 8 figure QB contract.
View Quote

Quoted:
I think the Saints are going to move forward with Winston. It is super cap friendly, everyone knows he can produce, the hope is he has gotten smarter/better at protecting the ball behind Brees this season.
View Quote

The Saints MUST blow it up. They don't have a choice.

I'm not sure exactly when the official cap number for the 2021 league year will be published, but the new league year comes quickly:

FEBURARY

Feb. 23: First day for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.

MARCH

March 9: Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, deadline for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.

March 17: The new league year and free agency period begin at 4:00 p.m., New York time.

APRIL

Apr. 5: Clubs that hired a new head coach after the end of the 2020 regular season, like the Chargers, may begin offseason workout programs.

Apr. 19: Clubs with returning head coaches may begin offseason workout programs.

Apr. 23: Deadline for restricted free agents to sign offer sheets.

Apr. 28: Last day for clubs to match offer sheets for restricted free agents.

Apr. 29 – May 1: 2021 NFL Draft (Cleveland, Ohio)

Between now and then, the Saints have to make $100M+ in salary cap space clear up. There's only one way:

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:07:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'm not sure exactly when the official cap number for the 2021 league year will be published, but the new league year comes quickly:

FEBURARY

MARCH

March 9: Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, deadline for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.

March 17: The new league year and free agency period begin at 4:00 p.m., New York time.

APRIL

Apr. 5: Clubs that hired a new head coach after the end of the 2020 regular season, like the Chargers, may begin offseason workout programs.

Apr. 19: Clubs with returning head coaches may begin offseason workout programs.

Between now and then, the Saints have to make $100M+ in salary cap space clear up. There's only one way:

https://media.tenor.com/images/b3863cc916d0c0c4a8146ff9ba73c432/tenor.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

FEBURARY

MARCH

APRIL

https://media.tenor.com/images/b3863cc916d0c0c4a8146ff9ba73c432/tenor.gif

Between the Saints, Falcons, and Panthers, if Brady were to retire suddenly the NFC South is looking like one of the worst divisions in the NFL one season removed from having two playoff teams win 4 (or 5) total playoff games.
Page / 415
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top