Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2021 7:59:33 PM EDT
I've never been a religious individual nor do I have plans to change my ways. I left the Catholic Church when I was 18; I'm 63 now. I don't subscribe to any religions actually. My basic philosophy is to try and do the right thing. Be kind.

What I have always had is an interest in the different religions in the world. Their roots. Their 'ways'. For whatever reason that has always been of interest.

Those of you that study the subject, live the subject... What sources would you recommend for someone with my type of interest?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 8:05:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've never been a religious individual nor do I have plans to change my ways.
What I have always had is an interest in the different religions in the world. Their roots. Their 'ways'. For whatever reason that has always been of interest.
View Quote

Something doesn't add up here, or someone is lying to themselves.

Maybe a serious study will change this?
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 4:50:40 PM EDT
[#2]
maybe look to those who've tried to disprove the Bible..

Rev 3 verse 20
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 4:56:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
maybe look to those who've tried to disprove the Bible..
Rev 3 verse 20
View Quote

If he's not religious then providing him with Bible verses doesn't mean anything to him.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 5:06:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If he's not religious then providing him with Bible verses doesn't mean anything to him.
View Quote

was thinking curiosity/HS would lead to at least the reading of one verse...

He is curious..??

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:10:58 PM EDT
[#5]
@Pavil58ar

Christ is real and God loves you.

Reach out to Him.

May God bless you and give you what you need so you come to the truth.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:28:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Use your heart, not reason.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:33:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've never been a religious individual nor do I have plans to change my ways. I left the Catholic Church when I was 18; I'm 63 now. I don't subscribe to any religions actually. My basic philosophy is to try and do the right thing. Be kind.

Those of you that study the subject, live the subject... What sources would you recommend for someone with my type of interest?

Thanks.
View Quote

Sounds like a good journey, take your time and best wishes. You may find more commonality than suggested.

Regards
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:18:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I think my interests lie in the comparisons of the different belief systems. Their differences. Reading the Bible gives the views of one set of people. I would guess the same holds true for the Talmud or Quran.

No, the Bible verses while interesting to interpret, at this stage of my game, probably wouldn't be exactly what I'm looking for. I'm much to jaded by life to take a passage and put all of my belief behind it.

I think I'll begin by finding a list of the various 'religions'. First step and all that.

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 8:53:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think my interests lie in the comparisons of the different belief systems. Their differences. Reading the Bible gives the views of one set of people. I would guess the same holds true for the Talmud or Quran.

No, the Bible verses while interesting to interpret, at this stage of my game, probably wouldn't be exactly what I'm looking for. I'm much to jaded by life to take a passage and put all of my belief behind it.

I think I'll begin by finding a list of the various 'religions'. First step and all that.

View Quote

Sounds like you'd be most satisfied by making your own belief system.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:13:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

So I would have a hard time pointing you a single book, because you end up having to sus it out of all kinds of threads in history.  If you look across the religions dispassionately but fairly, you start to notice patterns.  The Sumerians and their flood and super beings.  In India there is a Noah like character that escapes a flood in a boat.  Compare uranus, ouranus, and Váru?a, notice the same super beings teaching men.  Keep poking and you figure out there seem to be links betwee Baal, Hadad, Thor, Zeus.  Use books.google.com to isolate pre-late 20th century literature, before "new age" exploded and see what resources you can find.

In the end I find that The book of Jubilees and book of Enoch give a context (we can talk about how reliable they really are, but they are at least folk writing) to the spread of cultures and religions outside of Judaism beyond the narrow tribe that held on to it into egypt, on to Isreal, and then exploded into Christianity at the appointed time.  In Enoch you read about the fallen angels, teaching humans secrets for vain and destructive purposes.

It's not something I've seen put down in any single book, and it's hard to follow as a rat's hole in the soft bank.  I am persuaded that it all traces back to one source, but unlike the picture of all world religions being the spokes of one "truth" wheel,  all the world religions are paths that lead back to the works of the adversary who is at the center.  The religion of Jesus Christ stands alone from them.

Link Posted: 5/8/2021 12:19:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So I would have a hard time pointing you a single book, because you end up having to sus it out of all kinds of threads in history.  If you look across the religions dispassionately but fairly, you start to notice patterns.  The Sumerians and their flood and super beings.  In India there is a Noah like character that escapes a flood in a boat.  Compare uranus, ouranus, and Váru?a, notice the same super beings teaching men.  Keep poking and you figure out there seem to be links betwee Baal, Hadad, Thor, Zeus.  Use books.google.com to isolate pre-late 20th century literature, before "new age" exploded and see what resources you can find.

In the end I find that The book of Jubilees and book of Enoch give a context (we can talk about how reliable they really are, but they are at least folk writing) to the spread of cultures and religions outside of Judaism beyond the narrow tribe that held on to it into egypt, on to Isreal, and then exploded into Christianity at the appointed time.  In Enoch you read about the fallen angels, teaching humans secrets for vain and destructive purposes.

It's not something I've seen put down in any single book, and it's hard to follow as a rat's hole in the soft bank.  I am persuaded that it all traces back to one source, but unlike the picture of all world religions being the spokes of one "truth" wheel,  all the world religions are paths that lead back to the works of the adversary who is at the center.  The religion of Jesus Christ stands alone from them.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to see you post again, brother.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 12:39:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Read the Havamal
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 12:52:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 9:58:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

What are your thoughts on the Magi (Zoroastrianism) ?  Although they performed some non violent "pagan" practices they also believed in a monolithic God, Heaven if you are good, hell if your are bad, and a cleansing fire if generally good but not quite ready (sound familiar). I believe God found favor in them (perhaps interacted with them from the start) and guided the 3 kings to baby Jesus in Bethlehem followed by many conversions to Christianity when the Word got back to the east.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 10:13:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What are your thoughts on the Magi (Zoroastrianism) ?  Although they performed some non violent "pagan" practices they also believed in a monolithic God, Heaven if you are good, hell if your are bad, and a cleansing fire if generally good but not quite ready (sound familiar). I believe God found favor in them (perhaps interacted with them from the start) and guided the 3 kings to baby Jesus in Bethlehem followed by many conversions to Christianity when the Word got back to the east.
View Quote

Well, the Magi would have learned about Judaism from the likes of Daniel.  You get this situation where pagans would credit that there might be other gods with strenghtys, and so sometimes even pagans would honor the God of Isreal and his people out of respect, but not being wholly committed to.  I don't know the spiritual condition of the wise men from the east, whether they were converts and servants of The Lord, or pagans seeking to do honor, I don't see enough in the texts to day.  

Now Looking at the various reliigions I see that humanity needs something religious, and will adopt somethign one way or another (e.g. the modern church of wokeness and anti-capitalism).  This need is natural and it is part of who we are as creations.  We are not meant to be apart from our Creator.

Humans want to give way to their passions, even when it creates self harm, and people tend to develop so great a passion for these things to the extent they walk away from the way's, words, teachings, and worship of the Living God that created them.  So religion after religion is created, to try to satisfy the need for the divine, without having to be under and comply with the actual divine.

To your question, I view Zoroastrianism as another one-off.  That's not to say everyone in one-off religions are "bad people" per-se, but your destiny is where your heart is, and if you're heart isn't pointed toward reconciliation and relationship with the one entity that can sustain you and wisely counsel you, you are headed away from life and light in the ultiamte end.

It would take a long time to pull together the resource and write the book detailing all this from the things I've read and places I've been.  I don't insist anyone agree, it is merely as I have come to see it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 10:29:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would agree; especially, as viewed in light of Acts 10:35, "But in every nation, he that feareth him, and worketh justice, is acceptable to him."  Of course, that presupposes faith and does not mean that other religions are pleasing to God.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top