Link Posted: 2/6/2018 5:33:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was also a 15lb. shaped charge that was used do ED (emergency destruct) nuclear weapons.  I taught a bunch of classes on their use to FA and EN types.

At least one box of 40lb shaped charges that I shot had 1940's lot numbers. (This was in the early 80's)
... you mean the Mk. 45?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/17550/mk-443404.JPG
Those came later.  Before them the 15lb shaped charge was used.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 4:57:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 6:54:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The US tested the bouncing bomb as an antishipping device.  Theres footage out there of an A-26 being struck and destroyed by its own bomb during a test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgSiIojF7fE
View Quote
I live a couple miles from where that happened .  Fish there all the time.  

Drop tests were carried out over Choctawhatchee Bay near Eglin Field, Florida but the programme was abandoned, after the bomb bounced back at A-26C-25-DT Invader 43-22644 on Water Range 60, causing loss of the rear fuselage and a fatal crash on 28 April 1945.[38]
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 3:28:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Correct. Big smoke charge for the mushroom cloud, several pounds of flash comp for the flash and report, as follows.

Simulator, Atomic Explosion, XM-142e1

Potassium perchlorate-64%
Black pyro aluminum-20%
Sulfur-8%
Bran-8%

The bran is used as a bulking agent and the sulfur sensitizes the flash comp, making it easier to ignite.

My literature doesn't say how large the sound charge was, but given the size of the barrel and the illustration, I'd guess around 10 pounds or so.

Found in my Wizards Pyrotechnic Formulary by Donald Haarman.

ETA: Sound charge was 4 pounds of flash comp, smoke charge was 104 pounds...I don't have any info on the smoke composition, unfortunately.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please, post up. Not too much info about this thing is available. I'm reading it as it is essentially a really, really big, fucking smoke bomb?
With a few gallons of flash powder for the initial bang and white flash, if I’m reading right.
Correct. Big smoke charge for the mushroom cloud, several pounds of flash comp for the flash and report, as follows.

Black pyro aluminum-20%
Sulfur-8%
Bran-8%

The bran is used as a bulking agent and the sulfur sensitizes the flash comp, making it easier to ignite.

My literature doesn't say how large the sound charge was, but given the size of the barrel and the illustration, I'd guess around 10 pounds or so.

ETA: Sound charge was 4 pounds of flash comp, smoke charge was 104 pounds...I don't have any info on the smoke composition, unfortunately.
That is...quite a bit of flash powder.
Great info. I wish there was a video of one of these things in operation. I'm having a hard time visualizing this thing going off.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 3:41:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Great info. I wish there was a video of one of these things in operation. I'm having a hard time visualizing this thing going off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please, post up. Not too much info about this thing is available. I'm reading it as it is essentially a really, really big, fucking smoke bomb?
With a few gallons of flash powder for the initial bang and white flash, if I’m reading right.

Black pyro aluminum-20%
Sulfur-8%
Bran-8%

This might help a little...test shot from 1965 at Grafenwoehr. Crappy pic, but that's about all you can expect from '65. Minimum safe clearance from the device was 450 feet.

Test Shot
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 3:43:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
XM41 gravel mine.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/766/img_7014-444025.jpg

A range of gravel mines were employed by the United States during the Vietnam War, as inexpensive APERS mines that could be deployed in large numbers (1500 mines or more) from the SUU-14A/A dispenser. The fabric pouch contains a 16.3g wedge of explosive material (a mix of RDX and lead azide), 30 grams of coarsely ground glass, and two chemical tablets. The lead azide was added to make the mixture more sensitive to impact, enabling the mines to be deployed without a fuse.

To enable safe handling, the mines were apparently soaked in Freon 113, and kept at -5C. This evaporated once the mines were deployed, arming them within 3-8 minutes. The two-tablet system consisted of sodium hydroxide, and was designed to render the mines inert after a given period of time. Having no metal in its construction the XM41 and other gravel mines were undetectable with regular mine detectors.
View Quote
Definitely fits in, as one of the more bizarre pieces of ordnance out there.

Gravel mines are devious as hell. An extremely unassuming package(they look like goddamned bean bags), very well camouflaged, undectectable by conventional means, with a odd means of arming. I wonder what the failure rate on these things was? They would seem to be a kid
magnet out in the open.

Here's a couple more examples with a whole slew of "XM" designations(pics not mine/will credit where due):

Photo by: jrpett

Link Posted: 2/7/2018 7:48:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Definitely fits in, as one of the more bizarre pieces of ordnance out there.

Gravel mines are devious as hell. An extremely unassuming package(they look like goddamned bean bags), very well camouflaged, undectectable by conventional means, with a odd means of arming. I wonder what the failure rate on these things was? They would seem to be a kid
magnet out in the open.

Here's a couple more examples with a whole slew of "XM" designations(pics not mine/will credit where due):

https://i.imgur.com/kWaoc7q.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/K8cLjlL.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/clSJ6od.jpg
View Quote
The mines in the picture with the yellow background are all replicas that I made 10 or 15 years ago. They are exact inert copies right down to having a wax covered cardboard stiffener inside with the holes punched, and containing the exact amount of simulated granular explosive. In the small one in the upper right corner (XM44), I even installed a small circuit board with button battery like the real one. This one, when it popped off, sent a signal to a nearby ADSIS receiver/transmitter. Unless these were chemically tested for explosive components, even the best EOD techs wouldn't be able to detect them as fake (except for the fact that I stamped the nomenclature on them). I planned on keeping them, but a collector wanted them at a price I couldn't refuse, so I sold my last set. I think I only made a total of three of these sets. Here is a clearer picture.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The mines in the picture with the yellow background are all replicas that I made 10 or 15 years ago. They are exact inert copies right down to having a wax covered cardboard stiffener inside with the holes punched, and containing the exact amount of simulated granular explosive. In the small one in the upper right corner (XM44), I even installed a small circuit board with button battery like the real one. This one, when it popped off, sent a signal to a nearby ADSIS receiver/transmitter. Unless these were chemically tested for explosive components, even the best EOD techs wouldn't be able to detect them as fake (except for the fact that I stamped the nomenclature on them). I planned on keeping them, but a collector wanted them at a price I couldn't refuse, so I sold my last set. I think I only made a total of three of these sets. Here is a clearer picture.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57664/DSC00001-444635.JPG
View Quote
Absolutely awesome, replicas!
I added credit for your image.

So did the XM44 send a signal to an ADSID or another type of Seismic Intrusion Device?

A TRC-3 Detector Set maybe?(none of the examples or pics are mine/Will add credit where due):

Here's a couple, odd pics of a TRC-3A hooked up to an M18A1 Claymore APERS mine:

Link Posted: 2/10/2018 8:29:40 PM EDT
[#9]
The Hafthohlladung AKA the "Panzerknacker", or "Tank Breaker", magnetic, anti-tank mine.

"The Hafthohlladung (lit. adhesive hollow charge) was primarily used by Wehrmacht tank killer squads. Designed with three magnets at the base, each with a pair of poles creating a strong magnetic field across their gap, an infantryman could attach it to an enemy's tank no matter the angle of the surface. As the blast axis should be flush and perpendicular to the plane of the armour at the point of placement, and armed by pulling the igniter on the rear of the mine, the degree of a tank's sloped armour would be irrelevant for the device's penetration. However this required direct placement made use of the device very dangerous, as that infantryman would be highly vulnerable to enemy fire.

The Hafthohlladung device was very effective against armour, able to penetrate 140 mm of Rolled Homogeneous Armour (RHA). The H3 (3 kilogram) and H3.5 (3.5 kilogram) models are easily distinguishable; the H3 is bottle-shaped and H3.5 is conical."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hafthohlladung

The Hafthohlladung in action:

Hafthohlladung Panzerknacker in Action - Magnetic Hollow-Charge Antitank Weapon
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 8:57:11 PM EDT
[#10]
The Honeywell MK 18 Mod 0(no, NOT the 10.3" AR variant you are thinking about, either) 40mm, hand crank, belt fed, grenade launcher.

The MK18 Mod 0, was the predecessor to the modern day MK19 40mm Automatic Grenade Launcher. Coincidentally, like the short carbine everyone has come to know and love,
the MK18 GL, was utilized primarily by the US Navy-particularly, by the brown water guys in Vietnam aboard gun boats like the PBR. It was considered a ground breaking development in it's time and fires the low pressure 40 mike mike rounds, of the M79 and M203 single shot GLs.(none of the pics are mine and of course, I will credit where due):

It was sometimes seen, mounted atop M2 .50 cal machine guns:

"The design did keep the Mk-18 extremely simple. At its heart, the launcher centered around two large gears, one on top of the other. A fiberglass belt held the grenades in place as they moved into position.

The teeth on the sprockets formed a sealed cavity when they lined up. As a sailor cranked the handle, the belted cartridges would feed from one side into the firing chamber and empty shell casings came spitting out the other.

The rotating handle also pulled back and released the firing pin at the right moments. The firing mechanism itself, with a large knob at the end, could be locked in place and doubled as the safety switch.

All of these components sat inside a metal shell. The whole weapon weighed 19 pounds—less than a standard M-60 machine gun. Individual belts generally held 25 grenades. A shooter could fire off the rounds as they could turn the handle.

“[But] single rounds may be fired easily by merely rotating the crank one half revolution,” Chinn noted. “Firing rates as high as 250 rounds per minute may be achieved.”

https://warisboring.com/the-u-s-navy-had-a-weird-hand-cranked-grenade-launcher/

A cool segment by Ian at Forgotten Weapons, on the MK18 Mod 0:
Vietnam Mk18 Mod0 Hand-Crank Grenade Launcher
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's one of the rarest items in my collection, the M24 mine. Honestly, I think it was more of a solution looking for a problem, probably thought up by a bunch of R&D types with an excess budget to use up.
I'm missing the spool for the cable, and the bag for the rocket, but essentially, everything else is there. (The rocket, although painted green, is an inert blue trainer.)

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The M24 mine was a United States off-route land mine based on the M28A2 HEAT rocket normally fired by the M20 3.5 inch rocket launcher. The rocket was launched from an M143 plastic launch tube.

Operation

A trigger cable was laid across a road, when enough pressure was applied to the trigger cable two conductors inside the cable were forced together closing a circuit. The trigger cable consisted of two segments, requiring simultaneous pressure on both segments to trigger the mine. For wheeled vehicles, the cable was laid directly across the road so that wheels on both sides of the vehicle would touch the cable at the same instance, while for tracked vehicles the cable was laid at an angle of fifteen degrees to prevent the cable slipping between the treads on the tracks.

The rocket had a maximum effective range of about 30 meters beyond which it became too inaccurate to reliably strike the target.

The mine is long out of production and no longer in US service. The mine has possibly been used in Angola.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M24_mine
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 10:43:52 PM EDT
[#12]
m10 universal destructor

Link Posted: 2/14/2018 10:15:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Here's one of the rarest items in my collection, the M24 mine. Honestly, I think it was more of a solution looking for a problem, probably thought up by a bunch of R&D types with an excess budget to use up.
I'm missing the spool for the cable, and the bag for the rocket, but essentially, everything else is there. (The rocket, although painted green, is an inert blue trainer.)

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57664/1-450149.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57664/M24_antitank_mine_components-450152.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57664/Mine-M24-gegen-T-54-450154.JPG

The M24 mine was a United States off-route land mine based on the M28A2 HEAT rocket normally fired by the M20 3.5 inch rocket launcher. The rocket was launched from an M143 plastic launch tube.

Operation

A trigger cable was laid across a road, when enough pressure was applied to the trigger cable two conductors inside the cable were forced together closing a circuit. The trigger cable consisted of two segments, requiring simultaneous pressure on both segments to trigger the mine. For wheeled vehicles, the cable was laid directly across the road so that wheels on both sides of the vehicle would touch the cable at the same instance, while for tracked vehicles the cable was laid at an angle of fifteen degrees to prevent the cable slipping between the treads on the tracks.

The rocket had a maximum effective range of about 30 meters beyond which it became too inaccurate to reliably strike the target.

The mine is long out of production and no longer in US service. The mine has possibly been used in Angola.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M24_mine
View Quote
Woah.

That's a new one on me. Can't say I've ever seen a 3.5 Super Bazooka rocket, set up in a factory configured, mine before. The pressure sensitive, tape switch is very interesting. Thanks for posting that.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 10:26:49 AM EDT
[#14]
US M202 Flash, Multi-shot, incendiary, rocket launcher:

Probably made semi-famous by it's appearance in "Commando"(no pics mine/will add credit where due):

Note the pained expression, and flame retardant jackets, these ROK soldiers are wearing:

Red 66mm Fash Incendiary rocket, center of pic:

The M202 multishot rocket launcher is a four-barreled re-usable smootbore weapon which is loaded with a clip with factory-loaded M74 rockets, pre-loaded into separate aluminum tubes that are assembled together to form a single 4-shot clip. The clip is attached to the rear of the launcher and each loaded tube forms an extension to the barrel. Once clip is loaded and fixed to the weapon, launcher can be fired up to 4 times,with practical rate of fire as high as 1 round per second. Once all rockets are fired, the empty clip is detached and discarded. During storage and transportation the M202 launcher is closed at front and back with two hinged covers, which shall be unlocked and opened before loading and firing. The front cover has a dual-purpose handle, which is used for carrying the launcher in vertical position, and is used as a forward grip in firing position. Firing controls include folding pistolgrip under the barrel cluster, and folding collimating sight on the left side of the weapon. 66mm rockets use solid fuel engines,switch-blade type folding stabilizator fins, and a warhead loaded with some 0.6kg of self-igniting triethylaluminum (TEA), a gel-likesubstance. Since the M202 is a rocket launcher, upon firing it produces a dangerous backblast zone about 15 meters long.

However, it appears thatM202 ammunition had some flaws (most probably due to poor quality control or design flaws), which resulted in self-ignition of warheads during loading of the weapon. Not surprisingly, such disastrous events made the M202 less than popular among the troops
, and most M202 launchers were put into storage during late 1980s, although some launchers were observed during training of US and allied troops through early 1990s.

https://modernfirearms.net/en/grenade-launchers/u-s-a-grenade-launchers/m202-flash-eng/

It certainly looked like it did a good a pretty good job, setting the user and shit on fire, yo.:
M202A1 66mm FLASH (Flame Assault Shoulder Weapon) Rocket Launcher
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 10:41:13 AM EDT
[#15]
A calamity of a WWII, US manufactured, fragmentation hand grenade. It was about as dangerous to the intended target, as it was the thrower...as well as anybody near by:

Kodak-Eastman T-31 "Beano", fragmentation hand grenade(I wish I had an inert example. None of the pics are mine/will credit where due).

"One of the most interesting and obscure weapons of World War II was the ill-fated BEANO grenade. The idea for this grenade was initiated by the OSS in September of 1943. The most unusual concept of this grenade was that it would employ an impact detonating fuze rather than the conventional time delay. OSS also wanted it to be round, approximately the same size and weight as a baseball.

The OSS had set forth several specifications. They wanted it to be the same size and weight (51/2 ounces) as a standard baseball. They required that the grenade would reliably detonate when dropped from a height of 18 inches onto sponge rubber. It should be spherically balanced and have optimum lethal fragmentation. Also required were two arming mechanisms with the second one to arm the grenade during flight. The arming pin should also be replaceable for safety purposes."

"The thrower would place two fingers on a knurled, weighted “butterfly” cap. The safety pin was then pulled and the grenade was thrown. As the grenade flew through the air, the “butterfly” cap separated from the body. This cap would then catch the air stream and a length of nylon string attached to the cap would unwind. The other end of this string was attached to the secondary arming pin. When this pin was pulled from the fuze body the grenade became armed and would now detonate upon impact."
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 10:41:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Are those windows on that M113?
View Quote
It's one of the ones modified for prison camp use, half modified back.

For prison camp use, they added the windows, added boxes for non lethal claymores two on each side, and the spots below the two center windows should have the firing ports from a Bradley installed there.  They carried pump shotguns loaded with non lethal rounds, modified to fit in the Firing Ports.

It should also have a dozer blade on the front for clearing obstacles.

Looks like they converted the one in the previous picture halfway back.

Link Posted: 2/14/2018 10:43:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Interesting that the map does not show Bly Oregon as one of the points that Japanese balloon bombs landed.

Bly is also the site of the only fatalities of World War II in the mainland United States due to enemy attack.[5] On May 5, 1945, a Japanese balloon bomb exploded as it was being pulled from the woods by curious picnickers.[5] Killed in the explosion were: Elsie Mitchell, 26, wife of minister Archie E. Mitchell; Edward Engen, 13; Richard Patzke, 14; Jay Gifford, 13; Sherman Shoemaker, 11; and Joan Patzke, 13.[9] Rev. Mitchell heard the explosion and discovered the bodies. Victims were compensated by the government. A memorial was erected at what today is called the Mitchell Recreation Area

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bly,_Oregon
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 11:08:15 AM EDT
[#18]
So, it's a universal detonator, for just about anything US?
Found this diagram online, of a M10 screwed into the top of a 155mm shell. What were these primarily used for? Tell us more:

Link Posted: 2/14/2018 11:55:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Found this diagram online, of a M10 screwed into the top of a 155mm shell. What were these primarily used for? Tell us more:

https://i.imgur.com/3dfBk6V.jpg
View Quote
They made emergency destruct of stored munitions a lot easier.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 12:33:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The Honeywell MK 18 Mod 0(no, NOT the 10.3" AR variant you are thinking about, either) 40mm, hand crank, belt fed, grenade launcher.

The MK18 Mod 0, was the predecessor to the modern day MK19 40mm Automatic Grenade Launcher. Coincidentally, like the short carbine everyone has come to know and love,
the MK18 GL, was utilized primarily by the US Navy-particularly, by the brown water guys in Vietnam aboard gun boats like the PBR. It was considered a ground breaking development in it's time and fires the low pressure 40 mike mike rounds, of the M79 and M203 single shot GLs.(none of the pics are mine and of course, I will credit where due):

https://i.imgur.com/3IsgU3b.jpg
View Quote
I just so happen to work with an old Army Riverene guy. I asked him about it. He said the Navy was begging for those things (at the time?). They had one, and they traded it to the Navy for a 60mm mortar.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 3:03:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Sucks you couldn't keep inert/popped bangs.
Inert M-84s are canned Unicorn farts, that go for a premium, when they pop up, If ever.

While working at a Gov't/LE training facility for awhile, I saw some pretty funny stuff. Saw guys bounce 'em off doors/frames and bang their own stack.

Since we're on breaching, while I worked there, I learned about the "Water Charge", which incidentally fits in this thread:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/29005/Breach_bags_015-419621.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/29005/Breach_bags_014-419622.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/29005/DWCR_-_360-419624.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/29005/hqdefault-419627.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/29005/hinge-blast-2-good-crop-1024x999-419628.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/29005/jack-folded-hing-door-683x1024-419635.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/29005/marines-use-a-water-charge-to-breach-a-door-during-an-urban-breaching-JF3WD2-419636.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/29005/gatecrashermk4-419637.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/29005/zkgL0Ce-419639.JPG

"Breaching doors in an urban environment is a difficult task for infantry units. One way the Marines have been doing it over the years is using what is known as a water charge. Basically, it's a few feet of det cord sandwiched in between two 1000ml saline IV bags. The whole mess is taped up with 100 mile an hour tape (the military version of duct tape), and then an adhesive is slapped on one side.

Det cord itself could be used, except det cord is an extremely "fast" explosive, and tends to cut, rather than push. The saline bags convert that cut into a push, excellent for removing a door. And as you can see, having a bag on both sides means it can be used in very, very close proximity to friendly personnel. "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw6EH95htYg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_80gWlDQdHg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those aren't particularly strange, I've probably thrown a hundred of them
Lucky.

At the old job, all I ever got a chance to play with was DEF TEC #25s and CTS 7290s.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/29005/7290_edited-1-418165.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/29005/11012IMG_000149-418169.JPG

While probably not rare or uncommon either, these are by far the coolest looking bangs out there. Are UPCO M-84s still
issued? I never had the opportunity to toss one:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/29005/M84new1-418171.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/29005/m84stun-418172.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/29005/M84_stun_grenade_diagram-418174.JPG
When I was in Afghanistan (10-11), that was all we were issued (the M84). Had several expended bodies, but could never manage to get one home.

In Iraq in 05-ish, myself and another guy got flashbanged by another of our guys playing a joke on us.
Sucks you couldn't keep inert/popped bangs.
Inert M-84s are canned Unicorn farts, that go for a premium, when they pop up, If ever.

While working at a Gov't/LE training facility for awhile, I saw some pretty funny stuff. Saw guys bounce 'em off doors/frames and bang their own stack.

Since we're on breaching, while I worked there, I learned about the "Water Charge", which incidentally fits in this thread:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/29005/Breach_bags_015-419621.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/29005/Breach_bags_014-419622.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/29005/DWCR_-_360-419624.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/29005/hqdefault-419627.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/29005/hinge-blast-2-good-crop-1024x999-419628.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/29005/jack-folded-hing-door-683x1024-419635.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/29005/marines-use-a-water-charge-to-breach-a-door-during-an-urban-breaching-JF3WD2-419636.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/29005/gatecrashermk4-419637.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/29005/zkgL0Ce-419639.JPG

"Breaching doors in an urban environment is a difficult task for infantry units. One way the Marines have been doing it over the years is using what is known as a water charge. Basically, it's a few feet of det cord sandwiched in between two 1000ml saline IV bags. The whole mess is taped up with 100 mile an hour tape (the military version of duct tape), and then an adhesive is slapped on one side.

Det cord itself could be used, except det cord is an extremely "fast" explosive, and tends to cut, rather than push. The saline bags convert that cut into a push, excellent for removing a door. And as you can see, having a bag on both sides means it can be used in very, very close proximity to friendly personnel. "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw6EH95htYg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_80gWlDQdHg
I thought the use of the water charge to breach the armored car door in the movie Den of Thieves was a nice touch.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 3:20:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
My guess would be field expeidiant booby traps with you
choosing firing method.

They would also fit MK series bombs.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 4:27:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I've just started collecting US grenades. Any known sources for original inert besides Gunbroker?
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 6:52:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've just started collecting US grenades. Any known sources for original inert besides Gunbroker?
View Quote
Here: Inert Ordnance

Here: Inert Ordnance

Here: More Inert Ordnance
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 8:06:34 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote
Dang, some of that stuff is pricey!  I may have to spend some of my spare time here on Kahoolawe scrounging around.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 8:28:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Most Swedes who become fluent in English adopt an American accent, although our spelling is usually British.
View Quote
From my time working in Sweden, I was amazed how much of your TV content is American.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Dang, some of that stuff is pricey!  I may have to spend some of my spare time here on Kahoolawe scrounging around.
View Quote
It isn't like the old days.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 11:52:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Some of the now-inert ordnance may have come by way of scrappers:

SCRAPPER © feature documentary, aka Of Bombs And Men, Range Runner
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 4:27:36 PM EDT
[#29]
The FOG-M is a terminal homing missile that utilizes a fiber optic data link to transmit and receive command and sensor data with a
mobile fire unit to find and defeat threat targets masked behind hills, foliage or in urban settings.
The missile employs a high resolution.

Fiber-Optic Guided Missile FOG-M

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/efogm.htm

Attachment Attached File
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top