Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2022 12:26:49 PM EDT
So thought I'd quickly swap out the PCV valve on the 5.9 Dodge pickup, and of course the plastic is brittle and the rubber grommet is hard.

Is the rubber grommet suppose to be able to be popped up?    Or do I have to now pull the valve cover?

Link Posted: 5/8/2022 12:55:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Take a flat blade screwdriver and pry the grommet out.

Pop out plastic, push rubber back in, pop in new pvc valve.

Job done.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 1:18:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Take a flat blade screwdriver and pry the grommet out.

Pop out plastic, push rubber back in, pop in new pvc valve.

Job done.
View Quote

the grommet is pretty hard from age.    thinking i'm gonna get a hair dryer on it to warm it up, to try and make it more pliable.  

thanks for the help.    :)
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 1:25:18 PM EDT
[#3]
You should.   I did my pcv recently on 76 dodge and the grommet was harrrrd.  I ended up cutting it out.

New one went in nice.  ??
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 1:27:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I’d Clean that crap off valve cover first.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 2:42:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Why would you have swapped it out in the first place? They don't really wear out despite what oil change shops will tell you (hint, they lie about everything they can to upsell you because that's where the money is made). It's a check valve and not even a particularly useful or good one at that.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 3:05:04 PM EDT
[#6]
heated it up and was able to get the whole thing removed.    thanks for all the help.    :)
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 3:20:57 PM EDT
[#7]
LOL, did you use a claw hammer to break it off?
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 4:04:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
LOL, did you use a claw hammer to break it off?
View Quote

it came out in about 3 big pieces.    Was glad no crud fell into teh' hole.      :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top