Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 135 of 5589)
Page / 5589
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 2/22/2022 9:44:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By outofbattery:
Russians are a bizarre,paranoid  people whose national character is formed by alcoholism and centuries of battered wife syndrome.
View Quote

Some may think that sounds absurd, but I remember seeing that Russian "proverb" for the first time some 20 years ago.

If he beats you, it means he loves you.

It apparently hasn't changed.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 9:45:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By rca2222:

I read it as being clear that they were referring not to the line of contact, but to the borders as currently drawn.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By castlebravo84:
For some reason this tweet wont post:  https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1496088290717483010

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/176088/FMMr2-zXEAE61341111111_jpg-2288706.JPG

If they don't have a concrete answer to where they think the DPR and LPR borders lie, I don't think they plan on stopping short of Kyiv.

I read it as being clear that they were referring not to the line of contact, but to the borders as currently drawn.

A nice map that shows the difference:

Link Posted: 2/22/2022 9:48:00 AM EDT
[#3]
For some reason this tweet wont post:  https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1496088290717483010

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/176088/FMMr2-zXEAE61341111111_jpg-2288706.JPG
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 9:48:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By JBobM:
As far as I can tell Ukraine has still not mobilized. This is going to end in a rout. I have not heard anything about them preparing fallback positions or fortifying Kyiv. The Russians are going to roll over them in days. Many of their forces are still near the line of contact in eastern Ukraine they are going to get flanked and annihilated. Zelenskyy does not take the threat seriously.
View Quote

I have been pointing this out for years. Makes one wonder...
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 9:52:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe a little off topic, but if Russia cut gas supplies through Nordstream 1 and 2, after 2 becomes operational, could that not be seen as a hostile provocation to Western Europe?

If you suddenly turn hundreds of millions of NATO protected people into a freezing populace and wrecked economies, that would seem like a direct attack?

Just wondering, not an expert!
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 9:53:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Protolith:

I think Zelenskyy does take it seriously and most of Ukraine's positions haven't really been discussed because most of the discussion was about the obvious Russian buildup.

I think Zelenskyy's comments have been metered to try to avoid sending Ukraine into a panic and mass exodus to the west.

Ukraine's forces getting flanked and cut off from the rest of Ukraine is certainly a dangerous possibility and potentially catastrophic for Ukraine's defense.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Protolith:
As far as I can tell Ukraine has still not mobilized. This is going to end in a rout. I have not heard anything about them preparing fallback positions or fortifying Kyiv. The Russians are going to roll over them in days. Many of their forces are still near the line of contact in eastern Ukraine they are going to get flanked and annihilated. Zelenskyy does not take the threat seriously.

I think Zelenskyy does take it seriously and most of Ukraine's positions haven't really been discussed because most of the discussion was about the obvious Russian buildup.

I think Zelenskyy's comments have been metered to try to avoid sending Ukraine into a panic and mass exodus to the west.

Ukraine's forces getting flanked and cut off from the rest of Ukraine is certainly a dangerous possibility and potentially catastrophic for Ukraine's defense.

And to avoid expanding Ukrainian gun ownership, and to avoid in starting an effective civil defense program, and to avoid passing out the MILLIONS of surplus weapons collecting dust in warehouses, and to avoid fully supporting civilians in the Territorial Defense /Home Guard (which he criticizes for accepting "non professional" civilians)...
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 9:53:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Smokey0844] [#7]
Originally Posted By Ronnoc:
Maybe a little off topic, but if Russia cut gas supplies through Nordstream 1 and 2, after 2 becomes operational, could that not be seen as a hostile provocation to Western Europe?

If you suddenly turn hundreds of millions of NATO protected people into a freezing populace and wrecked economies, that would seem like a direct attack?

View Quote

Germany announced they were not going to certify Nordstream  2 (I think). I’ll try to find the link.
https://mobile.twitter.com/IntelCrab/status/1496112901861646337?cxt=HHwWgoC9tb2wocMpAAAA
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 9:54:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Hking:

uhhhh that seems like a very extreme statement wow
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hking:
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

uhhhh that seems like a very extreme statement wow

Really? After yesterday’s announcement that former Russian imperial vassal states don’t have a right to exist?
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 9:54:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By BerettaGuy:

View All Quotes

How can they possibly have not mobilized?
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 9:56:00 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

Well. I guess that's that.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 9:56:29 AM EDT
[#11]

He recognized them as independent, killed the Minsk ceasefire agreement, and sent in troops.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jDrexler:
Originally Posted By tstorms:
Originally Posted By NBCMarine:
Originally Posted By tstorms:
Originally Posted By NBCMarine:

It’s his smartest move at the moment. To go any further would be counterproductive.

So you think all this posturing, the deployment of troops and ships over thousands of miles was done so Russia could recognize the independence of provinces they already control?

That makes no sense

Taking over the parts of Ukraine openly hostile to Russia is problematic. What Vlad’s best option and most likely course will be is to put in a few footholds (similar to what they did with the Ossetians) making Ukraine in a forever low burn conflict. Once Nordstrom 2 is fully functional he will choke them economically until a favorable government is installed. If they move on the footholds they get smacked down like the Georgians got.

You mean put in a few footholds they've had since 2014. They didn't need a huge build up to accomplish that.

Need? No.

Does the threat of a full scale invasion make the world sigh a breath of relief if it turns out to just be annexing “separatist” areas and call it a best case scenario instead of something that should be hardly condemned? Yes.

I’m not saying Russia won’t go further, but if their goal really was to just more formally take those areas, this wouldn’t be a terrible way to do it.

He recognized them as independent, killed the Minsk ceasefire agreement, and sent in troops.

And that, as FJB would say, is a BFD.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 9:57:06 AM EDT
[#12]
It rather seems that many have missed what has taken place under their noses.

This is no longer a problem
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56204/5256BB02-5C46-467E-8A5B-1ECBE989FF10_jpe-2288699.JPG

Belarus has silently gone from awkward vassal state to annexation. Lukašenko is now 100% irrelevant.

View Quote

Wait... Belarus wants Russia to annex them? What decade is this? Wow!
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:00:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By realwar:
Last Stand of the Cyborgs at Donetsk Airport

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPxxoKGsOr4

From the uploader: Update, someone shared this on Reddit, which is super awesome.* They are at first, singing the Ukrainian National Anthem, Anyway not sure if this counts as their last stand, I just know this is from January 2015, towards the end of the Second Battle of Donetsk Airport.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/32274/Screenshot_2022-02-21_at_20-29-15_Last_S-2288576.JPG
View Quote

There is a very good reason they were named Cyborgs. Their patch (which came after the event of course) is one of the coolest military patches - whoever wears one certainly earned it.

Cyborg head with Kozak hair.

Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:01:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Easterner] [#14]

View Quote

It seems like Russia may keep inching forward with no resistance from Ukraine, as to not provoke Russia from really doing some damage. I'm surprised by how quiet it seems today with what has happened in the past 24 hours.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:01:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By skid2041:

View All Quotes
It rather seems that many have missed what has taken place under their noses.

This is no longer a problem
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56204/5256BB02-5C46-467E-8A5B-1ECBE989FF10_jpe-2288699.JPG

Belarus has silently gone from awkward vassal state to annexation. Lukašenko is now 100% irrelevant.

Saw that on the news this morn..I thought the same thing. This has been in the works for quite awhile I believe
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:03:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Cincinnatus:

Are you aware that there are Baltic states that have significant, ethnic Russian populations?

Are you also aware that Russia believes that these groups are being oppressed?

Does that ring a bell?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cincinnatus:
Originally Posted By motown_steve:
Originally Posted By motown_steve:
If Putin thought there were going to be any repercussions, then he would not be doing this. He knows exactly how far he can push, and he's going to push up to the line where he knows there will be repercussions.

Putin has already told you that he doesn't care about sanctions and the past 8 years have told you that he doesn't care about  burying  Russian soldiers killed in Ukraine. He understands the acceptance of repercussions whereas you don't even seem to understand what's going on.

So you think that he'll just roll into Poland then? Maybe Latvia too?

What I am saying to you, is that he doesn't believe there will be sanctionsand he's probably right.The Krauts are addicted to Russian oil. Their new chancellor has come out and said 'let's think this through' regarding all of these Sanctions that Biden is threatening.

Putin will push as far as he can, until he faces actual repercussions. Listening to anything the man says in public is dumb. Believing ianyhing the man says in public is even dumber.

Are you aware that there are Baltic states that have significant, ethnic Russian populations?

Are you also aware that Russia believes that these groups are being oppressed?

Does that ring a bell?

Word of the day: Russification.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:04:03 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

Want has nothing to do with it.

Putin has for years needed to deal with the problem of Belarus undergoing a “color revolution” and that is no longer a concern. He’s now 100 short kilometers from linking Kaliningrad and severing the Baltics,not that we should exist outside of the Russian empire or anything.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:04:48 AM EDT
[#18]

Again,it doesn’t have to add up to a sober Westerner,it only has to add up to a population suffering from Wernicke Korsakoff psychosis.

View Quote

My post was sarcasm.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:06:34 AM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

I'm going with they have - but they aren't overtly displaying it.

Doing so would be considered an escalation of shit.

Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:10:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SoCalExile] [#20]
Haven't they been mobilized for the past 8 years?

IEDs would be a better thing to mobilize than obsolete tanks.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:11:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:12:08 AM EDT
[#22]
The only thing that actually happened yesterday was finally saying what anyone with the slightest common sense knew: it has never been about “Ukrainian separatists” and has always been about Russians. Now Russia gets to flagrantly place overt forces inside what was Ukraine instead of dribs and drabs. Russia also got all the pretext it needed to secure Belarus.

The question now is “how much further will they take things?”. With an increase in oil prices and a fucking moron as POTUS that told them the US won’t cut off their income stream Putin is free to just keep his troops on the border in perpetuity to maintain unsustainable pressure on Ukraine until another vassal government is installed.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:12:31 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Monty Python skit?
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:13:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By SheltiePimp:
Seems like the financial markets and the people I know who work in crypto have reacted and as long as Putin doesn't go any further the markets should bounce back, everyone seems to think this is over now?
View Quote

Crypto won't mean anything unless/until the dollar crumbles and Bitcoin stands on its own.

And I say that as one who holds a small chunk (that I really don't care about losing) of mixed crypto.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:14:09 AM EDT
[#25]

Welcome to Russia, now get fitted for your bdu's
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:14:31 AM EDT
[#26]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:
Originally Posted By castlebravo84:

If they don't have a concrete answer to where they think the DPR and LPR borders lie, I don't think they plan on stopping short of Kyiv.

A nice map that shows the difference:

https://www.aljazeera.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/INTERACTIVE-Ukraine-Donbas-region.png?w=770&resize=770%2C770

Interestingly in that same AJ article there a similar statement about restoring borders, however the person that made it later retracted. AJ concluded that there isn't a consensus a the Kremlin.

Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:14:45 AM EDT
[#27]

This clarifies it a bit:

View Quote

That's literally the democrats platform and George Soros open border philosophy.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:16:12 AM EDT
[#28]
View All Quotes

"Kazakhstan's official position is now being developed. A meeting of the Security Council will be held in the coming hours, at which we will officially accept Kazakhstan's position. But I must assure you: there is no question of Kazakhstan's recognition of the Donetsk and Lugansk People's Republics. We proceed from the foundations of international law and the basic principles of the UN Charter. It is clear that the situation is now deteriorating, tensions are growing, and therefore Kazakhstan is ready and calls on the entire international community to apply diplomatic efforts to resolve (conflict. - Note)," Tleuberdi said

Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:16:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Spade] [#29]
Originally Posted By Smokey0844:

Germany announced they were not going to certify Nordstream  2 (I think). I’ll try to find the link.
https://mobile.twitter.com/IntelCrab/status/1496112901861646337?cxt=HHwWgoC9tb2wocMpAAAA
View All Quotes

And Russia has responded

Dmitry Medvedev
@MedvedevRussiaE

Russia government official
German Chancellor Olaf Scholz has issued an order to halt the process of certifying the Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline. Well. Welcome to the brave new world where Europeans are very soon going to pay €2.000 for 1.000 cubic meters of natural gas!

https://mobile.twitter.com/MedvedevRussiaE/status/1496112456858574849?cxt=HHwWgoC98cmWocMpAAAA

Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:16:22 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

What would they do about it?
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#31]

Putin has for years needed to deal with the problem of Belarus undergoing a “color revolution” and that is no longer a concern. He’s now 100 short kilometers from linking Kaliningrad and severing the Baltics,not that we should exist outside of the Russian empire or anything.
View All Quotes

If it were up to me, I'd trade Uncle Ted the best medical care for the remainder of his days to give y'all instruction manuals. Same to Ukraine and any other former Soviet looking down the barrel of Russian occupation.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:17:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:17:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By 7255:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 7255:

Sort of. The original quote is less explicit.

If you open that tweet and scroll down you'll see it.

It's starting to look like the Russians and Putin don't know what they mean yet.

Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:18:52 AM EDT
[#34]

There is a very good reason they were named Cyborgs. Their patch (which came after the event of course) is one of the coolest military patches - whoever wears one certainly earned it.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/DZAAAOSwt0FZBSs4/s-l1600.jpg

Cyborg head with Kozak hair.

https://external-preview.redd.it/-KVhAvx4YCY6LtyTff9RA8FPvjSs8maIVIcVwRfVKvw.jpg?auto=webp&s=2d92d931f13d761a4523a79c4233067918041267
View Quote

that is really cool. And yeah, best unit patch ever!
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:19:27 AM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Cue the Red October gif....this will get out of control and we'll all be lucky to live through it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:22:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Nailcrusher:

Give up in what capacity? If Russia took the entire country there would very likely be an insurgency. With a population of 44 million, even if only 3% actively supported that it would be close to 1.5 million.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Nailcrusher:
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:
So much of The Ukraine would The Russia need to takeover before Ukrainians give up?

If they decide to go that route anyway?

Give up in what capacity? If Russia took the entire country there would very likely be an insurgency. With a population of 44 million, even if only 3% actively supported that it would be close to 1.5 million.

I'm interested in the back door route that European countries and the US could still supply export weapons to fuel said insurgency.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:23:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Barack Obama in open microphone gaffe with Dmitry Medvedev
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:23:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WoodHeat] [#38]
View Quote

Well that's surprising.

From the original source:

"The official position of Kazakhstan is being developed now. In the coming hours, a meeting of the Security Council will take place, at which we will officially accept the position of Kazakhstan. But I must assure you: there is no question of recognizing the Donetsk and Luhansk People's Republics by Kazakhstan. We proceed from the foundations of international law and the basic principles of the UN charter It is clear that the situation is now deteriorating, tension is growing, and therefore Kazakhstan is ready and calls on the entire international community to use diplomatic efforts to resolve (the conflict. - Note)," Tleuberdi said on the sidelines after the government meeting.

eta: Beaten. This place is quick.

Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:24:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By ar15joe:

Really? Putin and his party are merely corrupt COMMUNISTS 2.0 plus the "actual" COMMUNIST Party = Russia is still ruled by COMMUNISTS (corrupt as they are)
United Russia
The party of Vladimir Putin and Dmitry Medvedev. This conservative and nationalist party, founded in 2001, is the largest in Russia with more than 2 million members. It holds an overwhelming majority of seats in both the Duma and regional parliaments, as well as committee chairmanships and posts on the Duma's steering committee. It claims to hold the centrist mantle as its platform includes both free markets and redistribution of some wealth. The party of power is often seen as operating with the main goal of keeping its leaders in power.

Communist Party
This far-left party was founded after the fall of the Soviet Union to carry on far-left Leninist and nationalist ideology; its current incarnation was founded in 1993 by former Soviet politicians. It is the second-largest party in Russia, with more than 160,000 registered voters identifying as Communist. The Communist Party also consistently comes in behind United Russia in the presidential vote and in parliamentary representation. In 2010, the party called for the "re-Stalinization" of Russia.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By @jDrexler:
Originally Posted By jDrexler:

Russia isn’t a communist nation anymore, you know that right?

Hmm- ok - if you are going to play semantics
It's central ruling party that is not actually elected, that is actually controlled by oligarchs and autocrats left over from the communist structure
with one "president" who is also not actually elected by the "people"

my argument is still sound, the Russian government/ military does NOT have so much higher expenses from these movements / exercises that they are "forced" to do anything to recoup any.

It's only when the start losing valuable equipment or highly trained people, THEN they start getting into some "debt" they will need to replace/spend real money on

It’s not “playing semantics”

It’s called not saying completely incorrect things.

You are still not supplying any debate points

I wasn’t taking issue with your entire post, just your assertion that they are communists. given your all caps emphasis on it, I felt it was prudent to point out your mistake. Acknowledge you were wrong and move on, No need to drag it out.

OK- so what would you name the sytem that Russia operates under vs China? How is does that change what I am pointing out?

They are both ruled by corrupted Communists, which are to me and most people still COMMUNISTS just more corrupt than the original version which never lasts long

Just fucking stop. Seriously.

Russia isn’t a communist country, nor is it’s leader, or it’s largest political party. I know this is GD where everything we don’t like is communist, but god damn.

Really? Putin and his party are merely corrupt COMMUNISTS 2.0 plus the "actual" COMMUNIST Party = Russia is still ruled by COMMUNISTS (corrupt as they are)
United Russia
The party of Vladimir Putin and Dmitry Medvedev. This conservative and nationalist party, founded in 2001, is the largest in Russia with more than 2 million members. It holds an overwhelming majority of seats in both the Duma and regional parliaments, as well as committee chairmanships and posts on the Duma's steering committee. It claims to hold the centrist mantle as its platform includes both free markets and redistribution of some wealth. The party of power is often seen as operating with the main goal of keeping its leaders in power.

Communist Party
This far-left party was founded after the fall of the Soviet Union to carry on far-left Leninist and nationalist ideology; its current incarnation was founded in 1993 by former Soviet politicians. It is the second-largest party in Russia, with more than 160,000 registered voters identifying as Communist. The Communist Party also consistently comes in behind United Russia in the presidential vote and in parliamentary representation. In 2010, the party called for the "re-Stalinization" of Russia.

“Gentlemen, comrades, do not be concerned about all you hear about Glasnost and Perestroika and democracy in the coming years. They are primarily for outward consumption. There will be no significant internal changes in the Soviet Union, other than for cosmetic purposes. Our purpose is to disarm the Americans and let them fall asleep. We want to accomplish three things:

One, we want the Americans to withdraw conventional forces from Europe. Two, we want them to withdraw nuclear forces from Europe. Three, we want the Americans to stop proceeding with Strategic Defense Initiative.

Mikhail Gorbachev (1931- ) General Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, the last head of state of the USSR (1985-1991) Date: November 1987 Source: speech to the Soviet Politburo, November 1987

Gorbachev's Green Cross (with the help of Germany's Green Party) duped western Europe into stopping oil/gas exploration in order to "save the planet". Gorbachev was Putin's old boss, and he opened the door for Russian gas exports for Europe since they scuttled their industry to get their own. Remember, Green is the new Red. But, dumb ass Americans believed that Gorbachev "destroyed communism" along with Ronnie Reagan (The Pepsi and Pizza Hut commercials helped...).
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:25:37 AM EDT
[#40]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Spade:

And Russia has responded

Dmitry Medvedev
@MedvedevRussiaE

Russia government official
German Chancellor Olaf Scholz has issued an order to halt the process of certifying the Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline. Well. Welcome to the brave new world where Europeans are very soon going to pay €2.000 for 1.000 cubic meters of natural gas!

https://mobile.twitter.com/MedvedevRussiaE/status/1496112456858574849?cxt=HHwWgoC98cmWocMpAAAA

If the Germans are going to find their tiny little Euro balls for a moment, they need to vote for Ukraine to join NATO before they lose them again.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:28:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Recapping:
• Putin has the Eastern Ukraine for 'No Charge'.
• For all the bluster, NATO hadn't agreed on any real sanctions, and there's little appetite to come up with any.
• The Ukraine President is a moron.
• Putin knows he can take as much of Ukraine as he really wants without NATO standing in the way.
• Putin has effective control of Belarus.
• Estonia businesses better start taking rubles.
• Xi is sitting there saying, 'Can it be this easy?'

Is that about right?
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:28:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Kharn:

If the Germans are going to find their tiny little Euro balls for a moment, they need to vote for Ukraine to join NATO before they lose them again.

Kharn
View Quote

The problem is that if they extend a NATO invitation now there would immediately be an Article 5 obligation because the NATO members recognize territory occupied by Russia as Ukrainian.  No one is going to vote to immediately go hot war with Russia, so that ship has probably sailed for now.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:30:50 AM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

He's a former comedian who is in way over his head.

Plus, a kinetic response from Ukraine is exactly what Russia wants.  Ukraine has few options here.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:31:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Dagger41:
So, what's the mood on the ISS today ???

View Quote

Quick, throw him out the airlock. He's probably thinking of annexing a section of the ISS.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:32:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By TallyGator:

The problem is that if they extend a NATO invitation now there would immediately be an Article 5 obligation because the NATO members recognize territory occupied by Russia as Ukrainian.  No one is going to vote to immediately go hot war with Russia, so that ship has probably sailed for now.
View Quote

No.

Ukraine would have to recognize that parts of Ukraine are now Russia and that the de facto border is de jure.

This still would not be enough for Ukraine to receive a unanimous vote to join. Germany,Italy and Greece would see to that.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:32:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By mooreshawnm:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mooreshawnm:

When you have a former comedian and TV show actor in charge of a country who was placed there by a billionaire oligarch with dual citizenship all sorts of things may not happen in a situation like this...

"Revealed: ‘anti-oligarch’ Ukrainian president’s offshore connections
Volodymyr Zelenskiy has railed against politicians hiding wealth offshore but failed to disclose links to BVI firm

(Volodymyr Zelenskiy’s apparent business connections to Russia via Maltex are likely to prove controversial. Illustration: Guardian Design)

By Luke Harding, Elena Loginova and Aubrey Belford
Sun 3 Oct 2021 12.30 EDT

Last modified on Tue 5 Oct 2021 09.13 EDT

It was a storyline that in earlier times would have seemed impossible. For four years, the actor and comedian Volodymyr Zelenskiy entertained TV audiences in Ukraine with his starring role in the sitcom Servant of the People. Zelenskiy played a teacher who, outraged by his country’s chronic corruption, successfully runs for president. In 2019, Zelenskiy made fiction real when he contested Ukraine’s actual presidential election and won.

On the campaign trail, Zelenskiy pledged to clean up Ukraine’s oligarch-dominated ruling system. And he railed against politicians such as the wealthy incumbent Petro Poroshenko who hid their assets offshore. The message worked. Zelenskiy won 73% of the vote and now sits in a cavernous office in the capital, Kyiv, decorated with gilded stucco ceilings. Last month, he held talks with Joe Biden in the Oval Office.

The Pandora papers, leaked to the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ) and shared with the Guardian as part of a global investigation however, suggest Zelenskiy is rather similar to his predecessors.

The leaked documents suggest he had – or has – a previously undisclosed stake in an offshore company, which he appears to have secretly transferred to a friend weeks before winning the presidential vote.

What are the Pandora papers?

Zelenskiy has not commented on the claim despite extensive attempts by the Guardian and its media partners to reach him. His spokesperson Sergiy Nikiforov messaged: “Won’t be an answer.”

The files reveal Zelenskiy participated in a sprawling network of offshore companies, co-owned with his longtime friends and TV business partners. They include Serhiy Shefir, who produced Zelensky’s hit shows, and Shefir’s older brother, Borys, who wrote the scripts. Another member of the consortium is Ivan Bakanov, a childhood friend. Bakanov was general director of Zelenskiy’s production studio, Kvartal 95. CONTINUE READING HERE

This is why no one can fully understand this situation without knowing the history of Ukraine/Kyvan-Rus and current Ukrainian politics.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:33:36 AM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

Odd that the graphic doesn't show the ships in the Azov sea.

Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:35:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By bikedamon:

Plus, a kinetic response from Ukraine is exactly what Russia wants.  Ukraine has few options here.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bikedamon:

He has been doing an outstanding job considering the circumstances and what he has to work with,regardless of morons on here saying “he needs to go full Leroy Jenkins”.

Ukraine’s options are very,very limited. They can not afford to crash their economy with a full mobilization when all Putin needs to do is sit there. I’m not sure why this is so difficult to understand.  Don’t look now but Ukraine is effectively surrounded barring the Polish border.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:36:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By AaronR:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNxEDomUlXw
View Quote

YES! Great you posted this.

Also, when Obama was a senator, he and Sen. Dick Luger traveled to Ukraine to try and persuade Ukrainians to destroy ALL of their surplus weapons and ammunition  in exchange for UN money and US assistance. They destroyed some but still have millions.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:36:58 AM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

Per russian social media. While it's only citizens saying this, but they quoted it and posted it on their pages. But grain of salt and all that.

Page / 5589
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 135 of 5589)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top