Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 5491 of 5590)
Page / 5590
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 12:28:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Capta:

Russian (and Ukrainian) manpower will not run out in the short to medium term.  But if Russia wants to take Ukraine one Avdiivka at a time, I’m all for it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:
I think you’re buying into the Russian narrative.
It took ten years to take Avdiivka, two years of which were all-out war.
It cost them (per Murz, who may be close on troops but is well short on visually confirmed vehicles) 16,000 men and 300 armored vehicles.  Visually confirmed vehicles losses were a lot higher than that..
Of course they have reserves, something like 8 million of them, but that is irrelevant.  Yes, they go on using up their men at this rate for years.  They can’t continue expending vehicles at this rate.  
This is a cost-benefit equation.  They (most likely Putin) decided to take Avdiivka for political reasons.  Reliable Russian sources like Girkin think that Avdiivka is irrelevant to the strategic situation.
Ukraine defended it explicitly it to extract a cost in Russian armored vehicles, which they did.
Russia invested the resources to prove they could take it at any cost.  So what?
If the Russians could press Ukraine more broadly with the intensity they did in Avdiivka, they would be.  They can’t.
Also understand that Russian efforts in the field always coincide with Russian info ops.  Sine the beginning of the war the thrust of info ops has been to to say “no level of aid will help anyway, if we have to throw ten million men at Ukraine we will.”
Combine this with demoralized quislings in the west who suddenly became committed isolationists, and you get the effect Russia is looking for.

It is possible for everything you said to be correct, and also for Ukraine to be unable to beat Russia and for Russia to continue making incremental and costly territorial gains for the near term. How long that situation lasts, who knows?

Russian (and Ukrainian) manpower will not run out in the short to medium term.  But if Russia wants to take Ukraine one Avdiivka at a time, I’m all for it.

Manpower is becoming a problem for Ukraine because their mobilization system is awful, and because they continue to refuse to fix it. The longer the problem goes unchecked, the worse it's going to get. There's a reason that Western observers such as Kofman who have been to Ukraine recently have been talking about how big of a problem it is. Russia is having a difficult time standing up new units, but Ukraine is having a difficult time replacing losses. Unfortunately, I think it might take something like a Kharkiv style collapse for Ukrainian political leadership to finally wake up. Even then, it'll take about an additional two to three months to get any hypothetical mobiks trained up to the standards of this war.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 12:29:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#2]

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 1:25:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
Turret thrown laterally toward the camera on left side.

View All Quotes
Turret thrown laterally toward the camera on left side.

"GRIFON" UAV unit of the 501st separate battalion of the Marine Corps ZSU did not miss their chance. Beauty!  

That was …  

WTH?    Chock full of Mines?
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 1:32:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Easterner] [#4]
Originally Posted By Jaehaerys:

Manpower is becoming a problem for Ukraine because their mobilization system is awful, and because they continue to refuse to fix it. The longer the problem goes unchecked, the worse it's going to get. There's a reason that Western observers such as Kofman who have been to Ukraine recently have been talking about how big of a problem it is. Russia is having a difficult time standing up new units, but Ukraine is having a difficult time replacing losses. Unfortunately, I think it might take something like a Kharkiv style collapse for Ukrainian political leadership to finally wake up. Even then, it'll take about an additional two to three months to get any hypothetical mobiks trained up to the standards of this war.
View All Quotes
It cost them (per Murz, who may be close on troops but is well short on visually confirmed vehicles) 16,000 men and 300 armored vehicles.  Visually confirmed vehicles losses were a lot higher than that..
Of course they have reserves, something like 8 million of them, but that is irrelevant.  Yes, they go on using up their men at this rate for years.  They can’t continue expending vehicles at this rate.  
This is a cost-benefit equation.  They (most likely Putin) decided to take Avdiivka for political reasons.  Reliable Russian sources like Girkin think that Avdiivka is irrelevant to the strategic situation.
Ukraine defended it explicitly it to extract a cost in Russian armored vehicles, which they did.
Russia invested the resources to prove they could take it at any cost.  So what?
If the Russians could press Ukraine more broadly with the intensity they did in Avdiivka, they would be.  They can’t.
Also understand that Russian efforts in the field always coincide with Russian info ops.  Sine the beginning of the war the thrust of info ops has been to to say “no level of aid will help anyway, if we have to throw ten million men at Ukraine we will.”
Combine this with demoralized quislings in the west who suddenly became committed isolationists, and you get the effect Russia is looking for.

It is possible for everything you said to be correct, and also for Ukraine to be unable to beat Russia and for Russia to continue making incremental and costly territorial gains for the near term. How long that situation lasts, who knows?

Equipment and ammunition is a bigger problem for Ukraine. I don't think some of you realize how much damage a well equipped group of motivated individuals are causing. In my eyes, we have a lot of specialized units that plan "hunting" trips. For example, one of our drone teams is averaging 10 pieces of equipment a day (+crews). They are doing some nasty things with explosives and drones/FPVs.

Guys defending the trenches 2+ years undoubtedly need a break. The whole idea of replenishment is not solely losses. Guys eventually need a break. With our specialized units, we plan a task, complete it, and come back to plan/ carry out the next.

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 1:33:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

That was …  

View Quote

Elsewhere reported as a TOS-1, which...would explain it

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 1:42:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#6]

And Evgeniy Viktorovich warned...
https://t.me/Z13_Separ/26202

There are heavy battles in the Belgorod region, with the use of equipment and aircraft, this is no longer the notorious “DRG”.

This is quite a serious hack.

https://t.me/Z13_Separ/26217

They write about a tactical landing from helicopters in the Belgorod region near the village of Kozinka, which is right near the border.

The message looks very dubious, so all you have to do is wait for footage from the field. Moreover, as noted by some channels, the landing force has already been destroyed.

But even without this, the events turned out to be quite large-scale, and nothing was over yet.

https://t.me/Dead_heads/1322

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 1:50:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Easterner:

Equipment and ammunition is a bigger problem for Ukraine. I don't think some of you realize how much damage a well equipped group of motivated individuals are causing. In my eyes, we have a lot of specialized units that plan "hunting" trips. For example, one of our drone teams is averaging 10 pieces of equipment a day (+crews). They are doing some nasty things with explosives and drones/FPVs.

Guys defending the trenches 2+ years undoubtedly need a break. The whole idea of replenishment is not solely losses. Guys eventually need a break. With our specialized units, we plan a task, complete it, and come back to plan/ carry out the next.

View All Quotes

Thanks for the insight. A lot of Western observers on the ground that I generally trust (e.g., Kofman and Lee) have been mentioning manpower issues for awhile, which is what I've been basing my opinions on. But, I'll defer to you on equipment and ammo being the largest issues. The point about rotations necessitating more manpower is also well taken.

More generally, how uniform is the training system on a average, if you're at liberty to say? The reason I ask is that a source I'm following on another forum has indicated that training standards aren't universal, and that this is a holdover from the static days of the Donbas War, where low attrition enabled guys to learn on the job. Would you say that's accurate?
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 2:20:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Easterner] [#8]

Thanks for the insight. A lot of Western observers on the ground that I generally trust (e.g., Kofman and Lee) have been mentioning manpower issues for awhile, which is what I've been basing my opinions on. But, I'll defer to you on equipment and ammo being the largest issues. The point about rotations necessitating more manpower is also well taken.

More generally, how uniform is the training system on a average, if you're at liberty to say? The reason I ask is that a source I'm following on another forum has indicated that training standards aren't universal, and that this is a holdover from the static days of the Donbas War, where low attrition enabled guys to learn on the job. Would you say that's accurate?
View All Quotes

Well training to guard a trench and basic soldiering is one thing. I'd say the reason for a higher age average is that the older guys tend to have more experience. Where I am now, there is no room for inexperience or guys unwilling to do the work. You can be f'd off from these units if you aren't performing your tasks as ordered. That helps us complete tasks with better success. Command notices if we are performing to their standards.

I know Ukraine regularly sends troops back to training areas for whatever their specific roles may be. Some are obviously training on new equipment. Many of the seasoned soldiers get "stuck" in a role perhaps because you can't expect extraordinary things from everyone. Others advance and gain new specializations/improve. There is a lot more to the Ukrainian military than the regular army.

Drone operators are moving towards their own branch. The amount of damage they cause is amazing. Special forces battalions can also be quite the thorn in the side to Russia in completing their specialized missions. Simply put, as time goes by, good soldiers are cherry picked for more specialized roles thus increasing the effectiveness of the military as a whole. Others continue in their roles as originally intended. These are the guys that spend more time on the front holding an area. Most of the young kids go through the academy program. Others join 3rd Assault, etc, or other units if they pass selection.

ETA:

There are some billboards up advertising for the Armed Forces. A picture of one guy in the gym, and the other guy kitted up. "Want to look really cool?" "Join the ЗСУ"
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 2:51:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#9]

❗️ Due to the intensification of hostilities in Russia, the Freedom of Russia Legion, the Russian Volunteer Corps and the Siberian Battalion calls on residents of the Belgorod and Kursk regions to remain in shelters on March 15. The best solution these days would be to leave the territories of the Belgorod and Kursk regions until the end of the active phase of the limited military operation.

On the night of March 15-16, a humanitarian corridor will also be provided for those wishing to evacuate from the war zone. The period of validity of the corridor remains the same: from 21:00 on March 15 to 7:00 Moscow time on March 16.

We recommend that anyone who cannot use the humanitarian corridor and leave the area of ​​the limited military operation in time find reliable shelter, refrain from walking, avoid crowds of people and equipment, and, if possible, stay at home or in safe places.

We remind you that the Putin regime continues the practice of covering its troops with civilians as a “human shield,” which makes the presence of civilians in the Belgorod and Kursk regions especially dangerous.

🇷🇺 Take care of yourself and believe in our common victory!

https://t.me/legionoffreedom/1141

The Armed Forces of Ukraine lost 1.5 thousand people during attempts to break through to the territory of Russia
Ministry of Defense: the losses of the Armed Forces of Ukraine during attempts to break through to the territory of the Russian Federation exceeded 1.5 thousand people

MOSCOW, March 15 — RIA Novosti. The total losses of Ukrainian troops during attempts to break through to the territory of the Russian Federation on March 12-14 in the Kursk and Belgorod regions exceeded 1.5 thousand people, the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation reported.

According to the Ministry of Defense, over the past three days, from March 12 to 14, the troops of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation "West" together with the border authorities FSB Russia "all attempts by Ukrainian militants to break into the territory of Belgorod and Kursk Oblast of the Russian Federation, attacks by units MAT reflected."

"The total losses of the Armed Forces of Ukraine amounted to more than 1,500 militants, of which about 500 are irretrievable, 18 tanks and 23 armored combat vehicles were destroyed," the ministry said.

In particular, on March 14, the Armed Forces of Ukraine tried to land a helicopter landing force of about 30 militants in the Kozinka area, but it was blocked and destroyed.

https://ria.ru/20240315/poteri-1933141629.html

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 2:52:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#10]

At night, unknown drones again attacked the military airfield in Buturlinivka, Voronezh region.
https://t.me/ssternenko/26297

The threat of a UAV attack in the Voronezh region was canceled after 8.5 hours
https://t.me/rian_ru/235473

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 3:56:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#11]

https://t.me/karymat/6624

Power steering operation. In the Kaluga region, drones attacked an oil refinery, the source said

A source in the Defense Forces told RBC-Ukraine that drones attacked the Pershiy Zavod petrochemical enterprise, which is engaged in oil processing, this night.

According to the publication, this is an operation of the GUR of the Ministry of Defense.

https://t.me/RBC_ua_news/87414

Tonight, an attempt by the Kyiv regime to carry out a terrorist attack on targets on the territory of the Russian Federation using an aircraft-type UAV and a BM-21 Grad multiple launch rocket system was stopped.

Duty air defense systems intercepted and destroyed five UAVs and two missiles over the territories of the Belgorod and Kaluga regions.

https://t.me/mod_russia/36636

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 3:58:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Detonations of Ukrainian drones:

Russian APC set alight by Ukrainian drone:

The Akatsiya self-propelled guns of the Vostok group:

The consequences of the shelling of the Kirovsky district of Donetsk:

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 4:26:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#13]

#ГУРінформує

🪦
@DI_Ukraine
informs: the leadership of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation allowed servicemen who are studying in the so-called SVO to vote for Putin even without appearing at the "polling station".

🔗 https://gur.gov.ua/content/perevahy-dlia-uchasnykiv-svo-holosuvaty-za-putina-mozhna-navit-pislia-zahybeli.html
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 5:32:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Prime:

View All Quotes

Dear French friends, how can you explain this and what is the reason for the shift in rhetoric?

Easy to explain, Putin stopped sending money.

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 5:48:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4xGM300m] [#15]
Originally Posted By K0UA:

May the Lord bless and keep him safe.

At last a president with some balls.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By K0UA:
I've got to say, I'm pretty surprised (in a good way) with the recent change in rhetoric from Macron. In addition to his recent statements, Ukraine is getting all of France's Caesar production this year, which amounts to around 75 guns. I suppose that since the next French election isn't for a few years, and since Macron won't be serving another term, that means he can ignore domestic concerns for a bit and focus on Ukraine. Since Scholtz won't take the lead, Macron has stepped in.

May the Lord bless and keep him safe.

At last a president with some balls.

"Never let a good crisis go to waste." Winston Churchill.

France has massive internal problems and the war in Ukraine is a great distraction.

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 5:58:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 6:41:13 AM EDT
[#17]
GERSIMOV LIVES!!!1!

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 8:26:35 AM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

That was …  

Well that would explain alot.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 8:27:52 AM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

Glad to hear of this, force multipliers are a thing.

We just need to get those guys the equipment and ammo, as well as additional training and things will work out better.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 8:40:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Thermal view.

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 8:42:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 8:42:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 8:45:16 AM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 8:47:22 AM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 8:50:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#25]
Joint appeal of the Legion "Freedom of Russia", the Russian Volunteer Corps and the Siberian Battalion to the governors of the Kursk and Belgorod regions Roman Starovoit and Vyacheslav Gladkov.

The liberation of Russian regions from Putin’s terrorist regime continues at these moments. Now massive strikes are being launched against Putin’s troops in the Belgorod and Kursk regions.

We call on the authorized persons of these regions, primarily the Governor of the Kursk Region Roman Starovoit and the Governor of the Belgorod Region Vyacheslav Gladkov to immediately announce an evacuation from the entire territory of the above-mentioned regions and evacuate civilians without delay.

Civilians should not suffer from the war, and any casualties during the fighting will be on the conscience of Starovoit and Gladkov.

We demand that governors stop carrying out the criminal orders of the Putin junta and not interfere with the evacuation of civilians from the combat zone, who themselves have already decided to leave their homes and save the lives of their families.
The operation to liberate the Kursk and Belgorod regions will continue until all goals are achieved.
Victory will be ours!

☠️

https://t.me/legionoffreedom/1133

❗️ Due to the conduct of a limited military operation in the Kursk and Belgorod regions, we call for the urgent evacuation of residents of the following settlements in the border areas.

Save your lives and the lives of your children!

We see that Putin's troops are hiding among civilians, so our task is to ensure maximum security for the local population.

In this regard, we are providing a humanitarian corridor from 21:00 today until 7:00 on March 15. After this, we launch a massive attack on Putin’s military in the settlements indicated on the map in the photo.

☠️

https://t.me/legionoffreedom/1136

Belgorod and Kursk: results of the humanitarian corridor

Since the operation of the humanitarian corridor, announced for the evacuation of civilians from the Belgorod and Kursk regions of Russia, as of 07:00 Moscow time, more than 7,000 civilian vehicles of residents of Belgorod and the Belgorod region have used it.

This became known thanks to information provided by local law enforcement and security officials who were in opposition to the Putin regime.

Also from the city of Kursk, more than 600 civilian vehicles used the evacuation corridor, in which Kursk residents left their homes.

Let us recall that earlier the Legion “Freedom of Russia”, the Siberian Battalion and the Russian Volunteer Corps called on residents of the Kursk and Belgorod regions to urgently evacuate in connection with the conduct of a limited military operation on the territory of the mentioned regions. For this purpose, a humanitarian corridor was announced for the evacuation of the population from 21:00 on March 14 to 7:00 on March 15.

After the expiration of the humanitarian corridor, the destruction of military facilities in the Belgorod and Kursk regions will continue until the region is completely liberated from the troops of the Putin regime.

☠️

https://t.me/legionoffreedom/1139

Happy first election day! We give our vote for a free Russia.

And we urge all residents of the Belgorod and Kursk regions who did not use the green corridor to stay in shelters.

☠️

https://t.me/legionoffreedom/1140

❗️ Due to the intensification of hostilities in Russia, the Freedom of Russia Legion, the Russian Volunteer Corps and the Siberian Battalion calls on residents of the Belgorod and Kursk regions to remain in shelters on March 15. The best solution these days would be to leave the territories of the Belgorod and Kursk regions until the end of the active phase of the limited military operation.

On the night of March 15-16, a humanitarian corridor will also be provided for those wishing to evacuate from the war zone. The period of validity of the corridor remains the same: from 21:00 on March 15 to 7:00 Moscow time on March 16.

We recommend that anyone who cannot use the humanitarian corridor and leave the area of ​​the limited military operation in time find reliable shelter, refrain from walking, avoid crowds of people and equipment, and, if possible, stay at home or in safe places.

We remind you that the Putin regime continues the practice of covering its troops with civilians as a “human shield,” which makes the presence of civilians in the Belgorod and Kursk regions especially dangerous.

🇷🇺 Take care of yourself and believe in our common victory!

☠️

https://t.me/legionoffreedom/1141

The Legion "Freedom of Russia", the Russian Volunteer Corps and the Siberian Battalion calls on the International Committee of the Red Cross to provide assistance to all residents of the Belgorod and Kursk regions who have suffered from the irresponsible and criminal actions of the Kremlin authorities.

Despite repeated calls to the authorities of the Belgorod and Kursk regions, governors Gladkov and Starovoyt ignored the warnings of the Russian Freedom Legion, the Russian Volunteer Corps and the Siberian Battalion, and did not organize the evacuation of the local population, which expectedly led to numerous civilian casualties during a limited military operation on the territory of the Belgorod and Kursk regions.

🗣 In this regard, we call on the Red Cross to immediately contact representatives of the Legion “Freedom of Russia”, the Russian Volunteer Corps, the Siberian Battalion, as well as Putin’s representatives in order to urgently create a humanitarian mission that will provide the necessary assistance to residents of the Belgorod and Kursk regions, organize a humanitarian a corridor for the evacuation of the local population, which will allow civilians to escape the suffering provoked by Putin's criminal inaction.

☠️

https://t.me/legionoffreedom/1142

We have received a response from the International Red Cross to our proposal. We thank them for entering into dialogue and their willingness to do what Putin’s terrorists are incapable of doing - saving civilians.

We look forward to further communication.

☠️

https://t.me/legionoffreedom/1143

~0630ET
Urgent warning for Belgorod residents!

Over the next hour, a massive attack will be carried out on military targets in the city of Belgorod.
We urge local residents to immediately go to safe shelters and not go out until the attack is over.
Spread this message among Belgorod residents - help save the lives of fellow countrymen.

Sincerely, Legion "Freedom of Russia", Russian Volunteer Corps, Siberian Battalion.

☠️

https://t.me/legionoffreedom/1144

I should have hidden it better 😉
They turned Putin's Murom-P long-range visual surveillance complex and electronic warfare/electronic warfare antennas into a pile of metal.

Let's keep working!

☠️

https://t.me/legionoffreedom/1145

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 8:50:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#26]

Notice the Lunenburg lenses on the F-35's, to make them more visible to radar, they are the bumps ahead of the tail.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 8:53:20 AM EDT
[#27]
As of this morning what's the March count for number of orc refineries hit?
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 8:54:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 8:55:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:04:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Lessons learned from the Patriot missile launcher attack.

Butusov Plus «After action review regarding the destruction of the Patriot anti-aircraft missile battery on March 9

The Patriot system is strategically important and the most effective weapon for combating Russian aviation. The battery includes four M901 launchers, a fire control radar and a command post, plus support vehicles.

On March 9, two M901 launchers and several MIM-104 anti-aircraft missiles were destroyed as a result of the defeat of the Patriot anti-aircraft missile battery column by the Russian invaders near the city of Pokrovsk, Donetsk region, at a distance of about 50 km from the front line. According to "http://Censor.Net", 9 Ukrainian servicemen were killed.

Since the radar and command post have survived, the battery's combat capability may soon be restored with the replacement of the launchers with new ones, but we will not be able to replace qualified and motivated operators, some of whom successful completed long-term training at NATO's leading training centers. Sincere condolences to the families of the heroes, who have several shootdowns of Russian planes on their account.

The video from the drone, which was released by the enemy and the information of our sources, allow us to make a postoperative analysis in order to exclude the possibility of repeating such tragedies that seriously undermine the defense capability of Ukraine.

The strike was carried out by three Iskander ballistic missiles under the correction of the SuperCam reconnaissance drone. The launchers were standing in an open place in the column and did not move. No means of disguise on cars are noticeable.

The cost of the M901 Launcher is 1 10 million, and the cost of the MIM - 104 PAC-3 anti-aircraft missile is 4 4 million.

What factors contributed to the search for the zentino missile system  and allowed them to strike accurately?

1. The battery operated in the area for several weeks, performed several successful launches on Russian aircraft, regularly turned on the radar, and the enemy could determine the approximate search area for its space, electronic intelligence and drones.

2. Patriot positions were not covered by anti-aircraft missile systems to protect against drones. Given that the battery operated at a distance of active enemy drones, the risk of detection was quite high.

3. Warnings about the departure of drones and missile attacks were received too late.

4. The Battery received an order to relocate, but did not have time to fulfill it. Instead of quickly and immediately dispersing at maximum speed, the launchers gathered in a dense column and stood in the open, waiting for the command to start moving, forming a compact target to hit.

Conclusions:

1. Maneuvering the battery and leaving the affected area at maximum speed beyond the range of enemy drones, individual vehicles, without waiting for commands and columns should be defined as one of the priorities of combat training.

2. In case of active combat operation and inexpediency to leave the position area for some time, Patriot positions must necessarily be covered by short-range missile systems.

3. Electronic warfare equipment should interfere with the video signal of enemy drones in the event of drones approaching Patriot positional areas in order to make it difficult to observe and determine the target.

4. In the Patriot position area, layouts (decoys) that simulate battery life should be deployed around. Such masking tools are still not used, although the cost of such layouts is hundreds of times less than the cost of one launcher. The enemy must constantly see false targets and spend time identifying them and ammunition to kill. True patriot vehicles must have a disguise kit to hide their silhouette from quick recognition.

The Air Force Command does not use Patriot mockups, although this is the most powerful weapon that requires maximum protection.

Responsibility for the defeat of Patriot launchers is fully borne by the Air Force Command, partly by the battery Command, which did not have time to withdraw personnel and equipment from the strike.

Standing in columns in an open place in the area of operation of enemy drones is deadly.I ask military personnel not to ever wait for the command to move, but to act on the situation, not to allow congestion, not to stand.

This is not the first case of Russian attacks on Patriot positions, and unfortunately, this is not the first time that cases of absolutely incomprehensible prolonged stay in positions, delays in maneuvering, have occurred. But conclusions have not yet been drawn, and therefore it is natural that the consequence of the lack of postoperative analysis was the tragedy of March 9 near Pokrovsk.

War does not forgive lessons not learned. I hope that conclusions will finally be drawn, and the troops will receive accurate orders, and systemic changes will finally begin in the tactics of combat use and in ensuring the operation of air defense. »
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:05:13 AM EDT
[#31]
1/2 Ukrainian War | 03/14/24

View of the main artillery units (scale: 1/500000) on the front.

2/2 Ukrainian War | 03/14/24

View of the main artillery units (scale: 1/500000) on the front.

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:07:43 AM EDT
[#32]
In the LPR, the National Guard found a cache with a ton of plasticite and 50 ready-made IEDs

Reusable ammunition will be transferred to warehouses, the rest of the dangerous finds will be destroyed

MOSCOW, March 14. /TASS/. Servicemen of the Russian Guard found in one of the caches in the LPR about 1 ton of plastic explosive and 137 kg of TNT, used by Ukrainian nationalists to make improvised explosive devices. This was reported to TASS in the press service of the department.

"It contained more than 78 anti-tank and anti-personnel mines, 12 smoke mines, 119 grenades of various modifications, more than 34,000 rounds of small arms ammunition, and 1 set of the Tropa demining charge. In the room equipped for the manufacture of improvised explosive devices, there were their components: 1,000 kg of plastic explosives, 137 kg of TNT, a 500-meter-long fire cord, 400 detonators, 40 mine universal fuses, 10 fire tubes, and striking elements. At the same time, 50 improvised explosive devices have already been prepared for use," the report says.

The National Guard noted that thanks to the timely discovery of the cache, the plans of Ukrainian nationalists to attack Russian servicemen and civilians were thwarted. "Currently, operational services are taking measures to identify persons involved in illegal activities. Ammunition suitable for reuse will be transferred to warehouses, the rest of the dangerous finds will be destroyed in compliance with the necessary safety measures," the ministry said.

https://tass.ru/obschestvo/20228169

View Quote

I have never heard of "smoke mines" before.

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:08:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Javelin top attack hit.

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

Great find, I heard about that from one of the Russian sources, but couldn’t find the original.
Naturally this version is rosier than the Russian one.’

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:11:25 AM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:12:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Russia has increased the production of FPV drones several times in recent months.
These are the weapons that play a crucial role in the conflict. Thanks to drones, tanks have turned into artillery, and soldiers have started carrying satchels with batteries and shotguns.

Behind his back is a REB, holding a shotgun...

The M1150 Assault Breacher Vehicle (ABV), the U.S. Army's newest assault demining vehicle on the M1 Abrams chassis, sits sadly in a field near Berdychi.

"Dear Mr. Joseph Biden, President of the United States of America!
We express our sincere gratitude to you for the Abrams tanks that the United States is providing to Ukraine.

As you probably know, we receive bonuses for destroying these tanks. We kindly ask you to send us more, as the already sent ones are very few, not enough for everyone. To find them, we will have to spend a lot of time and effort. We are ready to transfer 10% bonus to your MIR card for each destroyed tank. We believe that you are a true patriot and the best president of America. We sincerely hope for mutually beneficial cooperation."

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:13:06 AM EDT
[#37]

Great find, I heard about that from one of the Russian sources, but couldn’t find the original.

View All Quotes

It does make me upset to read.  It is every bit of advice I gave months ago about protecting these systems with other layered air defenses and decoys.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:13:07 AM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

You know Russia is winning when they are intentionally bombing Kursk/Belgorod regions.

All according to plan comrade!
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:14:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Jamming system getting hit by an FPV.

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:19:46 AM EDT
[#40]
This war has become a real life stress test for the US for fighting near peer adversaries(Only 3/4 really -India, Pakistan, China, Russia)

We should be building capacity to build drones, ships, and aircraft as well as drone defense and long range fires. I do not see evidence of a lot of that.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:34:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: voyager3] [#41]

View Quote

So, rush-only-to-wait-for-hours-in-the-sun is not just a bootcamp character building tool.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:54:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#42]
Originally Posted By NEXT23:
This war has become a real life stress test for the US for fighting near peer adversaries(Only 3/4 really -India, Pakistan, China, Russia)

We should be building capacity to build drones, ships, and aircraft as well as drone defense and long range fires. I do not see evidence of a lot of that.
View Quote

You just haven't been looking hard enough.

U.S. Replicator program:
https://asiatimes.com/2023/09/us-drone-swarm-program-could-redefine-modern-war/

https://247wallst.com/special-report/2023/03/15/every-combat-drone-used-by-the-u-s-military/

Attack drones, small sampling.

https://uvisionuav.com/loitering-munitions/hero-120/

https://uvisionuav.com/loitering-munitions/

https://www.anduril.com/hardware/altius/

Big drones, small sampling:

Skyborg AI wingman for stealthy drones meant to fly with F-35's and B-21's for example.
https://www.defensenews.com/air/2019/03/14/introducing-skyborg-your-new-ai-wingman/

Overloading and destroying the enemies defenses by launching many stealthy JASSM-ER cruise missiles to wipe out their long range SAM systems for example.  "Rapid Dragon"
US Air Force’s Rapid Dragon Program - JASSM-ER Stealth Cruise Missiles Fired From Cargo Aircraft

Drone defense, small sampling:

Already fielded and working in the Middle East.
https://breakingdefense.com/2023/08/meet-the-u-s-armys-lids-a-sure-shot-against-drones/

Already fielded, using 30mm airburst to shoot down small drones, article from 2019.:
https://news.usni.org/2019/03/11/marines-anti-drone-defense-system-working-towards-testing-fielding-decision-by-end-of-year

Stryker all in one short range counter drone:
Single-Vehicle Counter-UAS Stryker Prototype for the US Army

Newest laser weapons fielded, just one companies offerings, there are others:

https://www.rtx.com/raytheon/what-we-do/integrated-air-and-missile-defense/lasers

Counter drone Microwave weapons:
https://www.thedefensepost.com/2023/11/02/us-army-microwave-drone/

Big one for defending US air bases and strong enough to take down cruise missiles.

https://www.rtx.com/raytheon/what-we-do/integrated-air-and-missile-defense/phaser-high-power-microwave

There is more, but you get the idea.  Hopefully you will see we haven't been asleep at the wheel.

Long Range Fires:

Long Range Hypersonic Weapon:
https://www.army.mil/article/265349/1st_multi_domain_task_force_deploys_the_armys_first_long_range_hypersonic_weapon_system

Himars getting a new round that has a standard range of 150km vs. 80 that we gave to Ukraine.
https://www.lockheedmartin.com/en-us/news/features/2022/himars-long-range-precision-fires-capability-indo-pacific-allies.html

155mm artillery that is also guided and much cheaper than Excalibur rounds, because you can add the fuze to any standard 155 round to make it guided.  You also need much less 155mm rounds to do the job, in production for years, with over 100,000 fuzes made.

Precision Guidance Kit (PGK)
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#43]

Well training to guard a trench and basic soldiering is one thing. I'd say the reason for a higher age average is that the older guys tend to have more experience. Where I am now, there is no room for inexperience or guys unwilling to do the work. You can be f'd off from these units if you aren't performing your tasks as ordered. That helps us complete tasks with better success. Command notices if we are performing to their standards.

I know Ukraine regularly sends troops back to training areas for whatever their specific roles may be. Some are obviously training on new equipment. Many of the seasoned soldiers get "stuck" in a role perhaps because you can't expect extraordinary things from everyone. Others advance and gain new specializations/improve. There is a lot more to the Ukrainian military than the regular army.

Drone operators are moving towards their own branch. The amount of damage they cause is amazing. Special forces battalions can also be quite the thorn in the side to Russia in completing their specialized missions. Simply put, as time goes by, good soldiers are cherry picked for more specialized roles thus increasing the effectiveness of the military as a whole. Others continue in their roles as originally intended. These are the guys that spend more time on the front holding an area. Most of the young kids go through the academy program. Others join 3rd Assault, etc, or other units if they pass selection.

ETA:

There are some billboards up advertising for the Armed Forces. A picture of one guy in the gym, and the other guy kitted up. "Want to look really cool?" "Join the ЗСУ"
View All Quotes

ETA:

Interesting.  It sounds like a solid approach, and something one would miss looking just at the Division and above 'macro" level of the Ukrainian and Russian forces.  Rather than attempt to meet the Russians "man for man", develop an overwhelming qualitative edge, utilizing better overall training and specialized units.  Very similar to the Israeli approach, where unless they get invaded by Lichtenstein the Izzys will never be able to win in a quantitative manpower fight. I also assume that there is probably a lot going on organizationally on both sides that we will only hear of in passing that the effectiveness will not be fully apparent until after the war.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 10:04:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 10:06:50 AM EDT
[#45]

U.S. Replicator program:

https://assets.bwbx.io/images/users/iqjWHBFdfxIU/iaZpK5TzwC7k/v1/-1x-1.jpg

https://247wallst.com/special-report/2023/03/15/every-combat-drone-used-by-the-u-s-military/

Skyborg AI wingman for stealthy drones meant to fly with F-35's and B-21's for example.
https://www.defensenews.com/air/2019/03/14/introducing-skyborg-your-new-ai-wingman/

https://www.defensenews.com/resizer/339-api7EQUQEovW010EC-m8jKw=/1024x0/filters:format(jpg):quality(70)/cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/archetype/REXGA2KHG5AO3G3TWJAZFD7BDU.jpg

Overloading and destroying the enemies defenses by launching many stealthy JASSM-ER cruise missiles to wipe out their long range SAM systems for example.  "Rapid Dragon"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moYh2csZ2as

https://breakingdefense.com/2023/08/meet-the-u-s-armys-lids-a-sure-shot-against-drones/

https://sites.breakingmedia.com/uploads/sites/3/2023/08/MLIDS-Coyote-Launch-09-22-stmt-A-PEO-22-216_1200x640-768x410.jpg

Already fielded, using 30mm airburst to shoot down small drones, article from 2019.:
https://news.usni.org/2019/03/11/marines-anti-drone-defense-system-working-towards-testing-fielding-decision-by-end-of-year

https://news.usni.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/IMG_0521-2.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywBwvlwEdDg

https://www.rtx.com/raytheon/what-we-do/integrated-air-and-missile-defense/lasers

https://www.thedefensepost.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/Epirus_Leonidas-1536x864.jpg

Big one for defending US air bases and strong enough to take down cruise missiles.

https://www.rtx.com/raytheon/what-we-do/integrated-air-and-missile-defense/phaser-high-power-microwave
https://prd-sc102-cdn.rtx.com/raytheon/-/media/ray/rmd/what-we-do/counter-uas/effectors/phaser-high-power-microwave-system/2020-02/images/phaser_high_powered_hero_lg_0.jpg?rev=bb785562cef64bd7965211f462a369ab&w=1600&hash=2BEDAA1D2D6615934EBD239A38C21A3A

There is more, but you get the idea.  Hopefully you will see we haven't been asleep at the wheel.
https://www.airandspaceforces.com/app/uploads/2023/01/6964590-scaled.jpg

Long Range Fires:

https://www.army.mil/article/265349/1st_multi_domain_task_force_deploys_the_armys_first_long_range_hypersonic_weapon_system

https://api.army.mil/e2/c/images/2023/03/30/9a307f13/size0-full.jpg

Himars getting a new round that has a standard range of 150km vs. 80 that we gave to Ukraine.
https://www.lockheedmartin.com/en-us/news/features/2022/himars-long-range-precision-fires-capability-indo-pacific-allies.html

155mm artillery that is also guided and much cheaper than Excalibur rounds, because you can add the fuze to any standard 155 round to make it guided.  You also need much less 155mm rounds to do the job, in production for years, with over 100,000 fuzes made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nppX02X_vVQ
View All Quotes

U.S. Replicator program:

https://www.defensenews.com/resizer/339-api7EQUQEovW010EC-m8jKw=/1024x0/filters:format(jpg):quality(70)/cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/archetype/REXGA2KHG5AO3G3TWJAZFD7BDU.jpg

https://sites.breakingmedia.com/uploads/sites/3/2023/08/MLIDS-Coyote-Launch-09-22-stmt-A-PEO-22-216_1200x640-768x410.jpg

https://www.thedefensepost.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/Epirus_Leonidas-1536x864.jpg

https://prd-sc102-cdn.rtx.com/raytheon/-/media/ray/rmd/what-we-do/counter-uas/effectors/phaser-high-power-microwave-system/2020-02/images/phaser_high_powered_hero_lg_0.jpg?rev=bb785562cef64bd7965211f462a369ab&w=1600&hash=2BEDAA1D2D6615934EBD239A38C21A3A

Long Range Fires:

Those V-Bat vehicles are really funky. My team flew one of the first prototypes. Didn't work all that well in the wind (big wings = barn doors in wind). Transition from V/TOL to forward flight and back is very interesting to watch. From the looks of those, they've increased the aspect ratio of the wings so range/endurance should be better. It's good when an innovative design makes it into a successful production product. It encourages more of the same.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

Shameful.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
Originally Posted By Evintos:
German lawmakers reject Taurus missiles for Ukraine — again

Germany stands firm: No Taurus missiles for Ukraine

https://kyivindependent.com/bundestag-votes-against-taurus-missiles-for-ukraine-for-third-time-in-2024/

Of the 690 lawmakers who took part in the vote, 495 voted against the delivery with 190 in favor and five abstentions.

Shameful.

Understatement- but yes, definitely.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 10:16:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By planemaker:

Those V-Bat vehicles are really funky. My team flew one of the first prototypes. Didn't work all that well in the wind (big wings = barn doors in wind). Transition from V/TOL to forward flight and back is very interesting to watch. From the looks of those, they've increased the aspect ratio of the wings so range/endurance should be better. It's good when an innovative design makes it into a successful production product. It encourages more of the same.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By planemaker:

U.S. Replicator program:

Long Range Fires:

Thanks for that insight, I saw those being launched from U.S. Navy ships and thought they were wild looking.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 10:18:22 AM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 10:21:53 AM EDT
[#49]
???? ?? ????????? ?????? ? ?????? ???????????

Just a reminder

Russians screaming to "Sarmat to Washington" and "US is the enemy"

The lead character is a member of DUMA. He plays the "bad cop" while Putin is actually the good, more moderate cop. Medvedev I think also plays the role of bad cop.

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 10:24:24 AM EDT
[#50]
[i]RDS STATEMENT ON ELECTIONS

Dear participants of the Movement! We are all citizens of Russia and we are far from indifferent to what is happening in our state. We are called upon to come to the elections of the President of the Russian Federation and take part in the voting. Thanks to the authorities and the Central Election Commission for the invitation, of course. However, gentlemen and comrades in power, when you make decisions that benefit only you, our opinion usually does not interest you. So why should we follow your instructions?

View Quote

All that plus the fact the "United Russia" is already planning post-election celebration. There isn't any doubt Putin will maintain power, the only question is 79% or 81%.

Maybe they will go for the 85% figure this time.

Page / 5590
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 5491 of 5590)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top