Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3740 of 5589)
Page / 5589
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:14:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RockNwood:

Exactly. We have plenty of Spanish speakers in many states that serve in the US that are first ir second generation. And they are doing it voluntarily. Never heard in prior war drafts of any foreign language group in the US shirking its duty in general. NYC Little Italy, Boston Irish, Texas Mexicans, San Fran Chinatown.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RockNwood:
Originally Posted By Croak:
It's pretty clear cut to me, using your ethnic language as a basis for not serving the country you claim citizenship in in that speaks a different language means you're not a native and have no plans on becoming one.  And if you're fussing about your children also not being required to speak the national language, you clearly don't want them to become natives either.  Fine.  Leave.

Or try to assimilate yourself and let your progeny do the same, while at the same time realizing you have some obligations to your host country if you claim citizenship there.  

Exactly. We have plenty of Spanish speakers in many states that serve in the US that are first ir second generation. And they are doing it voluntarily. Never heard in prior war drafts of any foreign language group in the US shirking its duty in general. NYC Little Italy, Boston Irish, Texas Mexicans, San Fran Chinatown.

They also drafted a metric shit-ton of German-speaking Americans to fight in WWI despite simultaneously conducting a Presidential-directed suppression of all things German during World War One.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:15:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#2]

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:18:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:19:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

In a Sci-Fi book I read a few years ago, the Mech-suited soldiers had little charges like that.

They'd go prone, stick an entrenching charge on the ground alongside themselves, it would go off, and then they'd roll right into the freshly blasted out fighting hole.

Probably a lot less safe without a mech suit on

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:

Neat.

In a Sci-Fi book I read a few years ago, the Mech-suited soldiers had little charges like that.

They'd go prone, stick an entrenching charge on the ground alongside themselves, it would go off, and then they'd roll right into the freshly blasted out fighting hole.

Probably a lot less safe without a mech suit on

Maybe she was a "special assistant" to a Senior Officer who ate a GMLRS.  I don't think the Army spent the money to develop a "THOT protection" type feature in the system.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:19:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Is Russia being serious and deploying T50 series tanks...wow...they reaaaallly suck...

Seeing the depletion of capabilities for roughly 50-60 billion now is chump change for what we spent on trying to keep up with the Ruskies...how pathetic...
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:26:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:26:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Banditman:

What cal in the main gun on a t55?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Banditman:
Originally Posted By Brok3n:

Yes then THE REAL VDV will show up too!

At this point, it's just a matter of time before the T-34s show up.

What cal in the main gun on a t55?

100mm
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:31:37 AM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:33:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

They have been doing that for a while. Essentially kidnapping people and forcing them to fight.
View Quote

There was this "report" from Hungarian right-wing media (pro-Russian apparently) that ethnic Hungarians are being rounded up off the street and press-ganged into the UA. Most likely, it was dudes that got drafted but refused to comply and had to be dragged kicking and screaming to the UA training base (we saw some video of this a while back). I bet the UA is doing this to the people who refuse the draft notice regardless of the ethnicity.

There should be some "conscientious ethnic objector" type status for people who refuse the draft notice. I'd rather have them at home then in the service fucking up morale. I also understand the sentiment of "just leave if you dont want to help fight" but keep in mind those folks have lived there for many generations. They are NOT immigrants that came to Ukraine for jobs or welfare. Their great parents, grandparent, great grandparents, etc were born in that same town. They probably call their home town by the original Hungarian name. They have no "original home country" to return to. The best analogy I could think of is if Mexico annexed Texas then drafted ethnic Americans into the Mexican army. This is exactly what happened to Hungary after WWI and II. This happened to my family and home town. After WWII, the Russian occupying army told everyone you are Romanians now. They collected everyone's Hungarian passports ID etc and re-issued Romanian papers. Then they changed the names of the town and streets. They even bulldozed cemeteries (where my grandfather was buried) and tried hard to remove Hungarian names on buildings, statues etc. Then my dad and uncle got drafted into the Romanian army...buna zua Romonia

As an ethnic Hungarian immigrant in the USA I happy joined the Army out of H.S(wanted to fight the Soviets back in the Cold War days) and even volunteered for war (DS#1) but not everyone is stupid like me and idealize the military.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:51:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:59:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
View Quote

Must be sort of working.  The maps show the front generally moving in the wrong direction.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 10:01:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By johnh57:

Must be sort of working.  The maps show the front generally moving in the wrong direction.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By johnh57:
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:

It will only work for so long.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 10:03:43 AM EDT
[#13]

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 10:05:12 AM EDT
[#14]
More details from yesterday.

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 10:06:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:
The best analogy I could think of is if Mexico annexed Texas then drafted ethnic Americans into the Mexican army. This is exactly what happened to Hungary after WWI and II.
View Quote

This is exactly what we did in WWI, WWII, and Vietnam.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 10:23:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Prime:
I’m never gonna find this on Twitter, so here’s screenshots.

Apparently one of Solovyev’s guests fainted on air.
Someone naturally did a variation on the Private Ryan sniper “one shot one fall” gag.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203719/DDCFA443-4F49-43D3-9E26-8F8E81F24CAA-2754468.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203719/0B5BFD9E-7350-4047-963C-925D7AEBB074-2754469.jpg

https://t.me/ukrainian_militant/13300
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 10:26:34 AM EDT
[#17]

There was this "report" from Hungarian right-wing media (pro-Russian apparently) that ethnic Hungarians are being rounded up off the street and press-ganged into the UA. Most likely, it was dudes that got drafted but refused to comply and had to be dragged kicking and screaming to the UA training base (we saw some video of this a while back). I bet the UA is doing this to the people who refuse the draft notice regardless of the ethnicity.

There should be some "conscientious ethnic objector" type status for people who refuse the draft notice. I'd rather have them at home then in the service fucking up morale. I also understand the sentiment of "just leave if you dont want to help fight" but keep in mind those folks have lived there for many generations. They are NOT immigrants that came to Ukraine for jobs or welfare. Their great parents, grandparent, great grandparents, etc were born in that same town. They probably call their home town by the original Hungarian name. They have no "original home country" to return to. The best analogy I could think of is if Mexico annexed Texas then drafted ethnic Americans into the Mexican army. This is exactly what happened to Hungary after WWI and II. This happened to my family and home town. After WWII, the Russian occupying army told everyone you are Romanians now. They collected everyone's Hungarian passports ID etc and re-issued Romanian papers. Then they changed the names of the town and streets. They even bulldozed cemeteries (where my grandfather was buried) and tried hard to remove Hungarian names on buildings, statues etc. Then my dad and uncle got drafted into the Romanian army...buna zua Romonia

As an ethnic Hungarian immigrant in the USA I happy joined the Army out of H.S(wanted to fight the Soviets back in the Cold War days) and even volunteered for war (DS#1) but not everyone is stupid like me and idealize the military.
View All Quotes

They have been doing that for a while. Essentially kidnapping people and forcing them to fight.

I happy joined the Army out of H.S(wanted to fight the Soviets back in the Cold War days) and even volunteered for war (DS#1) but not everyone is stupid like me and idealize the military.  But many of us are!
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 10:30:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: strykr] [#18]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

Donbass and Crimea are Ukraine.

View Quote

They are, but they are under Russian occupation since 2014 and the majority of people living there were Russian speaking. Crimea was Russia until they gave it Ukraine. And part of Western Ukraine was Hungary until they lost it in war in the last century. The US had steady borders for quite some time now, but that is not the case with many other countries. If Russia manages to keep Crimea at the end of this war, it would be a very similar situation.

Borders in Europe do not align with ethnicities anymore. It is not like the melting pot of the US. Take the example of Switzerland. Some parts of the country are German speaking, some parts are French speaking, and some parts are Italian. You will see bus stop signs written in different languages depending on where you are, even within the same country.

Of course, it no longer matters in the EU since nobody is trying to force minorities to give up their culture. So yeah, Ukraine is not following EU norms with their language law and banning dual citizenship. I think it is understandable given their conflict with Russia but it is still a divisive move. Look back at the history of Europe and you'll see that trying to build nation states forcefully along border lines leads to war and conflict. Nationalism can also have a dark side.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 10:32:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fike] [#19]

View All Quotes

Successful ethnic history has often required, as Bob Marley once sang, a movement of jah people.

That is the story of 1000’s of groups over multiple millennia, it is the story of America, and it is the story of the Jews….who, if they survived the holocaust, left the very area we are discussing en masse.

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 10:35:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By strykr:

Mandatory use of Ukrainian language in any official public capacity. Government offices, schools, shops, sports events, advertisements, etc. I think this is a recent law. Break the law and you have to pay a fine. They also protest forced conscription of their minorities. Ukraine has also banned dual citizenship, but that is likely meant to prevent Russian influence.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

@ITCHY-FINGER @thehun06 @Jozsi
What rights is Ukraine suppressing in their Hungarian minority? The right to conduct public education exclusively in Hungarian, or otherwise exclude Ukrainian? What else? I'm not throwing any stones, I want to understand the situation. I recognize part of Hungary was given to Ukraine (USSR) after WWI.

Mandatory use of Ukrainian language in any official public capacity. Government offices, schools, shops, sports events, advertisements, etc. I think this is a recent law. Break the law and you have to pay a fine. They also protest forced conscription of their minorities. Ukraine has also banned dual citizenship, but that is likely meant to prevent Russian influence.

Sounds a bit like Quebec in Canada.

Same rules apply up there.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#21]

When did the ARSENAL OF DEMOCRACY become the MILITARY INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX? ( not directed at Doc540 )

An economy ravaged town gets a little hope from good paying manufacturing jobs.  Things that are going to protect freedom loving people from murderous despots.

To me that’s a good thing.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 10:43:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Video and still images from strike in Zaporizhzhia
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 10:43:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By jhereg:
Those look like some old fucking tanks.
View Quote

There were modernization programs into at least the 80s on those. Drivetrain, optics, sensors, fire control, LRF, skirts, additional/composite armor, and the ability to fire ATGMs through the tube.
The T55AM2 I think was one of the last versions, and probably the best of that series. Still not going to do much against an M1 series, but not strictly 1950's tech.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 10:44:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By CenterMass762:

Not the same. At all.

Native Americans, native Alaskans, and ethnic Mexicans from the southwest states were drafted in WWII. Was there a problem with that?
View Quote

I understand. I am sure most minorities have no problem living there and fighting for their country. But minorities with a separate culture are a thing in Europe, and so is dual citizenship. Great Britain has done the same thing, sending Scottish and Irish people to fight their wars. Was it a problem? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Remember the scene from Braveheart when they sent the Irish to fight the Scottish "for the crown".

In this case it is a war for the survival of Ukraine so I also do not see a problem with conscripting minorities. Either way, I can see how it can suck to be a minority in a country that is trying to prevent you from using your own language. And as we see it is also causing friction. The smart move would be to rescind that law if it has a chance to flip Hungary to support Ukraine with weapons.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 10:46:36 AM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes
The best analogy I could think of is if Mexico annexed Texas then drafted ethnic Americans into the Mexican army. This is exactly what happened to Hungary after WWI and II.

Wilson had Congress declare Puerto Ricans US Citizens solely so they could draft them for WW1.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 10:49:11 AM EDT
[#26]

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/giphy-84.gif
View Quote

Just to understand Russia's game....
https://news.yahoo.com/russia-intentionally-spreads-disinformation-over-184900280.html?guccounter=1
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 10:50:42 AM EDT
[#27]

The only actual example I've seen is that, if I remember right, Ukraine refused to teach school in the Hungarian language. That seems dumb to me since the schools are located in Ukraine. Other than that, all I've seen is "ethnic Hungarians are being mistreated because they're being mistreated."
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

Interesting. Thank you. Orban really prioritizes Hungarian minorities living in various countries. I'd rather he help Ukraine 100% in good faith and then negotiate for the Transcarpathians after this war is over.

How have those Hungarian minorities been mistreated?

The only actual example I've seen is that, if I remember right, Ukraine refused to teach school in the Hungarian language. That seems dumb to me since the schools are located in Ukraine. Other than that, all I've seen is "ethnic Hungarians are being mistreated because they're being mistreated."
It was all Orbin, the Hungry PM.  He issued Hungarian passports to anyone claiming "ethnic hungarian" in Ukraine.  He did so because he needed the votes.  
Orbin would fit right in with our demorat party over here.

If one researches Europe, you can find "ethnic Austrian", "ethnic Polish", etc. just in Ukraine alone. That's the norm for that continent.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 10:50:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By weptek911:

When did the ARSENAL OF DEMOCRACY become the MILITARY INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX? ( not directed at Doc540 )

An economy ravaged town gets a little hope from good paying manufacturing jobs.  Things that are going to protect freedom loving people from murderous despots.

View Quote

This war, and all of the “aid” sent to Europe has brought back a good deal of decent paying blue collar jobs to my region.
This guy was just hired by a large defense manufacturer and I’m getting a 33% raise to go do what I do now.
And now I will get to play with aerospace parts!

I got to fondle a rocket motor nozzle on my interview!

It’s infuriating trying to explain reality to people when they truly believe all the headlines and Facebook posts telling them the opposite of what is right in front of their face.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By kpacman:

View Quote

I am pretty sure you can open a store in Quebec that labels products in English and runs radio ads in English. You could also start a sports team with an English name. Nobody gives a fuck, as they shouldn't. When you get fined for doing that, that is government overreach.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 10:53:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Older, excess stock?  FJB should have done that some time ago.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:03:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Why is Russia so terrified of the UK sending DU rounds for the Challenger 2 tanks they are donating to Ukraine, going so far as saying they would regard their use as the equivalent of using dirty bombs and threatening a response? Even as dumb as the orcs are, they have to be smart enough to know these munitions pose no radiological risk. Hell, this is the army that knowingly seized and dug in their forces in the contaminated Chernobyl disaster area last year, resulting in numerous cases of radiation sickness among their troops. Am I now supposed to believe this same country is worried about DEPLETED uranium tank darts? Hell, tungsten penetrators would wreck their junk just as efficiently, or even HESH rounds.

Could the real reason they are making such a fuss about this be because of the UK's unique two piece ammunition used in the Challenger 2 only has DU APFSDS rounds available as options for penetrating rounds? That is the only angle to this I can think of that might make any sense. We know the Challenger 2 uses different ammo than other NATO tanks. If DU is the only available APFSDS round available for it, maybe the Russians hope their fussing and threats will cause the UK to withhold sending this ammunition and deprive the Ukrainians using the Challenger 2 of its most effective AT capability?
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:04:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Saltwater-Hillbilly:

I happy joined the Army out of H.S(wanted to fight the Soviets back in the Cold War days) and even volunteered for war (DS#1) but not everyone is stupid like me and idealize the military.  But many of us are!
View Quote

Still am stupid I
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#33]

I am pretty sure you can open a store in Quebec that labels products in English and runs radio ads in English. You could also start a sports team with an English name. Nobody gives a fuck, as they shouldn't. When you get fined for doing that, that is government overreach.
View Quote

I live in Montana, I think there are as many, if not more, Spanish language channels on the idiot box than English. I have them all blocked as we don't speak a word of Spanish.

Never understood the mentality of those in occupied areas that are force conscripted.  If I'm going to war, I'll wear the uniform of my choosing thank you.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:06:03 AM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

All business, public or private, is to be conducted in French. Strict rules apply there.

Years ago many businesses left Quebec and moved to Ontario because this edict would have made it next to impossible to conduct international business.

Imagine a business office in Montreal attempting to hold a business meeting with their British counterparts while the Quebec language police are looking over your shoulder.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:06:50 AM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

I'm biased, but I feel the same.   I don't understand people that paint with a broad brush and act like the MIC is some thug cabal.

Lots of regular Americans work at such sites doing many different jobs, and paying their mortgages, raising their kids.  And it's painted as a bad thing that we make stuff that defends Americans. Go figure.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:07:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By 74HC:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 74HC:

There are thousands of A1s (and 198s, 109A6s, M2s, 119s, you name it) sitting in long term storage at SIAD.  Last time I was out there, I was blown away by the miles and miles of combat and combat support vehicles parked in the desert.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

"In some cases, only French can be used. This is the case, for example, of advertising on busses and on some large billboards. For some other types of signs and advertising, French can be used along with English or another language, as long as the French is clearly more predominant."

No solely labelled English allowed in Kaybeck.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:12:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Those against Leo 2s?
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:14:39 AM EDT
[#39]

All business, public or private, is to be conducted in French. Strict rules apply there.

Years ago many businesses left Quebec and moved to Ontario because this edict would have made it next to impossible to conduct international business.

Imagine a business office in Montreal attempting to hold a business meeting with their British counterparts while the Quebec language police are looking over your shoulder.
View Quote

Wow, I was not aware. You've gotta admit it does sound pretty stupid. Point is, language laws are generating tension for no good reason. Now they've lost many productive members of their society.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:17:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CenterMass762] [#40]

I understand. I am sure most minorities have no problem living there and fighting for their country. But minorities with a separate culture are a thing in Europe, and so is dual citizenship. Great Britain has done the same thing, sending Scottish and Irish people to fight their wars. Was it a problem? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Remember the scene from Braveheart when they sent the Irish to fight the Scottish "for the crown".

In this case it is a war for the survival of Ukraine so I also do not see a problem with conscripting minorities. Either way, I can see how it can suck to be a minority in a country that is trying to prevent you from using your own language. And as we see it is also causing friction. The smart move would be to rescind that law if it has a chance to flip Hungary to support Ukraine with weapons.
View Quote

Yeah, I sure hope something can be worked out that flips Hungary.

Originally Posted By Tiberius:

Wilson had Congress declare Puerto Ricans US Citizens solely so they could draft them for WW1.
View Quote

Yep, and Hawaiians were drafted for 40+ years and in three wars before they became a state, then one after.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:27:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Video in tweet.

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:27:24 AM EDT
[#42]
This is just unreal, these T-54/55 are 60 - 70 years old.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/mal-660.gif
View Quote

Laughs in B-52.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:28:48 AM EDT
[#43]
This looks like it might be a faster or new version of the Lancet.

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:29:04 AM EDT
[#44]

Yeah, I sure hope something can be worked out that flips Hungary.
View Quote

I have no doubt that in the end it all comes down to economic interests. With the recent offers from Great Britain and the US there is a financial incentive to doing so. Hand over old Mig-29s and T-72s, get new Eurofighters and Abrams/Leopard tanks in return. I would bet it plays a major part why many smaller Eastern countries are making that commitment now. It all comes down to money.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:29:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Could the Bradlys main gun pen a 54?
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:30:26 AM EDT
[#46]

Something seems out of place here. Can't quite put my finger on it...
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:34:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#47]
Originally Posted By ludder093:
Those against Leo 2s?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ludder093:
Those against Leo 2s?

It's such an old design, are those still the old IR spotlights for their Gen 0 night vision sights?   LOL, they will look like this at night to a Challenger or Leopard.

Skip to 43 seconds in.

IR Driving Lights by Lightforce
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:35:23 AM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

Since we’re whatabbouting ourselves, I want to emphasize this point.

I have a relative who was a conscientious objector during Korea and did alternate service.

That service was to travel behind the front lines and fix villages and infrastructure as the front moved. It made for a great story when his kids had him finally tell it before he died.

There are ways to do that right.

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:38:13 AM EDT
[#49]

Another good morning to wake up.  Why couldn't the orcs sacrifice 80 more to reach 1k?  Somebody needs to send putin a message on that.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:39:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Video:

Page / 5589
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3740 of 5589)
Top Top