Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3182 of 5589)
Page / 5589
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 12/17/2022 9:01:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mercersfinest4:

“Efforts to track weapons in Ukraine have shown very little evidence of systems’ being diverted, the officials said”

I read this article as Washington sending in more tracking personnel as it sends more systems and also due to pressure from house Republicans.

I don’t see anything in between the lines about UKR mismanagement.
View Quote

There will inevitably have to be a process of determining whether black market weapons were misappropriated by Ukrainians or captured/recovered by Russians, who will sell their own shit, let alone anyone else’s.

🤷‍♂️
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 9:08:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fisherman] [#2]
Originally Posted By mercersfinest4:

“Efforts to track weapons in Ukraine have shown very little evidence of systems’ being diverted, the officials said”

I read this article as Washington sending in more tracking personnel as it sends more systems and also due to pressure from house Republicans.

I don’t see anything in between the lines about UKR mismanagement.
View Quote

On a regular basis we see AUK troops standing beside sizable amounts of found and captured RU munitions. They are putting to good use in small return shipments to the original owners.
You would have to be foolish to think that RU dont capture AFU munitions from time to time and  given their inate level of corruption why would anyone be surprised they would either sell it or make sure it turns up where it's not supposed to be for propaganda purposes or both?
Why no questions in the media or this thread about RU weapons and munitions on the black market? The answer starts with a t and ends with a rolls that's why.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 9:33:56 AM EDT
[#3]
The country code for Ukraine is UA.

Link Posted: 12/17/2022 9:56:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#4]
Originally Posted By JustaGunNut:

Seems like a lot of extra sensor integration to get those cruise missile kills.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
Does the patriot have decent capability against terrain following targets like cruise missiles? I always understood it was geared towards medium/short range ballistic missiles like the iskander.

It got a lot of upgrades to go after cruise missiles and actually low observable radar targets.

It's Wiki, but scroll down to the "Variants" section of missiles used with the system along with software and hardware upgrades that keeps it up to date.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIM-104_Patriot

From 2012:
https://www.dote.osd.mil/Portals/97/pub/reports/FY2012/army/2012patriot.pdf?ver=2019-08-22-111732-957

Engaged and intercepted a cruise missile target with a
GEM-T missile in the debris field resulting from the
destruction of the two tactical ballistic missile targets.

During the first Integrated Fire Control flight test (IFC-1) at
the Utah Test and Training Range in April 2012, Patriot fired a
PAC-3 CRI missile at a cruise missile target using a Joint Land
Attack Cruise Missile Defense Elevated Netted Sensor System
cue. The PAC-3 missile intercepted the target

During the FMS G-2 missile flight test at WSMR in
March 2012, Patriot intercepted a cruise missile target with a
GEM-T missile.

During the FMS G-4/G-5 missile flight test at Eglin AFB,
Florida, in June 2012, Patriot performed near-simultaneous
intercepts over water of two air-breathing targets using GEM-T
missiles.

During Flight Test Integrated-01 (FTI-01) in October 2012 at
the Reagan Test Site, Patriot performed a near-simultaneous
engagement of a short-range ballistic missile target with two
PAC-3 interceptors and a cruise missile target with another
PAC-3 interceptor. FTI-01 was the first integrated flight test
with multiple firing elements (Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense
[BMD], Terminal High-Altitude Area Defense [THAAD], and
Patriot) engaging multiple ballistic missile and air-breathing
targets in a realistic BMDS-level architecture. Patriot
successfully intercepted both of its targets.

Seems like a lot of extra sensor integration to get those cruise missile kills.

That's because it's been tested to network with our employment of an air defense system.   Patriot can find cruise missiles by itself, but then your limited to the Patriot's radar and it's coverage alone, it will work better integrated with other sensors.

This is where I'm very curious to see how this will be setup.  If Ukraine can get their other sensors to pass info to the Patriot battery, and Patriot can already talk to NASAMS and IRIST-T and SAMP/T then it's going to be pretty formidable.   It gets more formidable the more NATO air defense systems that get tied into the network.  If S-300 and other Russian system radar info can be passed to the system then even better.  That's the unknown factor right now.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 9:58:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ryan_Ruck] [#5]
Originally Posted By DASJUDEN:

I deleted my original post, I've had a long week and it was overly snarky, uncalled for, and I posted it in haste. I'd appreciate it if you'd delete my quote but if you don't that's your perogative.  The thing is this isn't the first time I've been accused of being a shill or parroting Russian propaganda for presenting a contrary viewpoint. It's grating.
View Quote

@DASJUDEN

I got you but, I don't think there was anything wrong with it personally. Nothing wrong with defending yourself and your perspective (which I think was/is perfectly valid) and, nothing wrong with a bit of snark. I am a fine purveyor of it myself at times.

ETA: And I'm sure it is grating when you're trying to be genuine. That's the insidious thing about Russian propaganda, it mixes truth with fiction and muddies the water and causes division. Which is the whole goal of it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 9:59:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:
Japan officially doubling its defense budget as a result of Ukraine Invasion and China tensions.

https://i.redd.it/br8v668qbc6a1.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/17/2022 10:20:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Japan officially doubling its defense budget as a result of Ukraine Invasion and China tensions.

https://i.redd.it/br8v668qbc6a1.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/17/2022 10:29:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By DASJUDEN:

I deleted my original post, I've had a long week and it was overly snarky, uncalled for, and I posted it in haste. I'd appreciate it if you'd delete my quote but if you don't that's your perogative.  The thing is this isn't the first time I've been accused of being a shill or parroting Russian propaganda for presenting a contrary viewpoint. It's grating.
View Quote

As one of the people in here with zero tolerance for thread sliding and idiocy, I haven’t had any issue with your input so far. I think others may, because statements like UK weapon tracking being “abysmal” aren’t supported by evidence. Even in the article you linked, the sources said very few weapons are redirected. Broad, hyperbolic statements like that come off as disingenuous and troll-y.

Regardless, you’re fine. Keep posting in here please.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 10:30:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 10:32:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 10:34:03 AM EDT
[#12]

https://www.wired.com/story/gps-jamming-interference-russia-ukraine/
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 10:37:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 10:38:04 AM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 12/17/2022 10:39:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By DreadPirateMoyer:

As one of the people in here with zero tolerance for thread sliding and idiocy, I haven’t had any issue with your input so far. I think others may, because statements like UK weapon tracking being “abysmal” aren’t supported by evidence. Even in the article you linked, the sources said very few weapons are redirected. Broad, hyperbolic statements like that come off as disingenuous and troll-y.

Regardless, you’re fine. Keep posting in here please.
View Quote

I’m pretty sure the United Kingdom knows where their weapons are.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 10:40:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack67] [#16]
Fantastic NYT interactive article. I'd archive but that makes the images stop working.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/12/16/world/europe/russia-putin-war-failures-ukraine.html
View Quote

For the tl;dr or to help decide if you want to read/scroll it:

Good article, well-written; though not a lot new for the well-informed. A few teasers:
- Some interesting insights on Putin’s isolation psychosis, and developing personal antipathy towards Zelensky and Ukraine 2020-2021.  
-Austin and Milley (only minor in the overall story) really come across as savvy, steel-spined cold warriors who saved the day (read into that what you will).
- Interesting details of CIA strongly telling RUS how west would support Ukr; Rus having no interest in listening to that.

If you use this archive service, it will remove the still images but preserve the animated maps:

https://www.removepaywall.com/

This WP article is poorly team-written, but interesting (also shorter).  Relatively detailed unit-specific story of the elite 200th Motor Rifle Brigade from initial invasion forward: deployments, reinforcements, steady degradation of the unit.  Badly edited and team-written IMO, but not without some genuinely interesting first-hand accounts and reporting. Can read w/paywall or feed into same archive link above.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/12/16/russia-200th-brigade-decimated-ukraine/

Link Posted: 12/17/2022 10:40:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 10:42:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 10:42:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lieh-tzu] [#19]
People jumped on primuspilum for showing up 3000 pages later with a negative assessment out of nowhere. So the context is offputting, but he is a legit SME. I personally am growing frustrated with the situation, and I think it's not out of line to say Ukraine is most definitely not winning right now or even that they're losing. We all want Russia to lose, so we mock the pathetic condition of mobiks and their poor equipment, the common usage of 50 year old armor, supposed depletion of long-range missile stocks, the massive losses in personnel & equipment. But they keep coming. They keep killing Ukrainians, blowing up military and civilian targets all over eastern Ukraine, stealing Ukrainian citizens and shipping them off who-knows-where, occupying Ukrainian  cities & towns and destroying what they don't occupy.

The leader of AFU says they are short hundreds of units of armor & artillery (plus the necessary ammo & support for them) to do what needs to be done. The will to fight only goes so far. The will to win is not sufficient for victory by itself. We're all going to do a little happy dance when Ukraine announces 100K Russian KIA. But PP is not wrong - Russia will still win unless there's a major infusion of major weapons to Ukraine. Russia still possesses the same key advantage they had on Feb 24 - mass. Russia has greater mass than Ukraine and can throw away units until Ukraine can't wipe them out anymore.

I grow discouraged (and the arrival of the guy with the John Cleese avatar had nothing to do with that). I want Ukraine to win. But hope is no different than cope.

ETA - I'm even angry about the US handicapping the HIMARS that were sent. What BS. Russian military have directly killed US personnel in previous proxy wars, there is no good reason to withhold medium-range weapons from Ukraine, no good reason at all. Even today, after all that's happened, the US leadership is still slow-rolling and stinting on military aid. FJB, FVP.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 10:43:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 10:46:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:
People jumped on primuspilum for showing up 3000 pages later with a negative assessment out of nowhere. So the context is offputting, but he is a legit SME. I personally am growing frustrated with the situation, and I think it's not out of line to say Ukraine is most definitely not winning right now or even that they're losing. We all want Russia to lose, so we mock the pathetic condition of mobiks and their poor equipment, the common usage of 50 year old armor, supposed depletion of long-range missile stocks, the massive losses in personnel & equipment. But they keep coming. They keep killing Ukrainians, blowing up military and civilian targets all over eastern Ukraine, stealing Ukrainian citizens and shipping them off who-knows-where, occupying Ukrainian  cities & towns and destroying what they don't occupy.

The leader of AFU says they are short hundreds of units of armor & artillery (plus the necessary ammo & support for them) to do what needs to be done. The will to fight only goes so far. The will to win is not sufficient for victory by itself. We're all going to do a little happy dance when Ukraine announces 100K Russian KIA. But PP is not wrong - Russia will still win unless there's a major infusion of major weapons to Ukraine. Russia still possesses the same key advantage they had on Feb 24 - mass. Russia has greater mass than Ukraine and can throw away units until Ukraine can't wipe them out anymore.

I grow discouraged (and the arrival of the guy with the John Cleese avatar had nothing to do with that). I want Ukraine to win. But hope is no different than cope.
View Quote

Things take time to organize, especially regarding big ticket items like armor and air defense and training.   The ground also needs to freeze, expect this current situation until late January/February.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 10:55:38 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

That reminds me…

Link Posted: 12/17/2022 10:56:57 AM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 12/17/2022 10:58:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 11:00:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cincinnatus] [#25]
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 11:03:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: theskuh] [#26]

Things take time to organize, especially regarding big ticket items like armor and air defense and training.   The ground also needs to freeze, expect this current situation until late January/February.
View Quote

yea for me this war is a real test of our ability to fight. I know it isn't our troops on the line or our best stuff yet. But if we can't stop Russia here it doesn't bode well for our strength against China or Russia in a conventional fight. My interest is seeing how well things are working and if we can actually project power against a near peer. We have some technological advantage but the whole quantity has a quality could be proven true here once again.  I feel we have a lot more to lose here than the Russians do just on the disparity of military spending alone. What good are high dollar systems if they can't change the outcome.

Link Posted: 12/17/2022 11:03:50 AM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

Just MHO but, I don't know that Ukraine is currently "losing" per se but, there certainly does seems to be a bit of a stalemate. I don't think it's necessarily unexpected with the onset of Winter however. Everyone knew it was going to be a slog for both sides and we seem to be seeing it now.

However you are right, there needs to be some "game changer" to break the stalemate or else there is a definite risk of Ukraine losing the momentum it had and the Russian "mass" grinding Ukraine down. HIMARS was that game changer last time. I think the best game changer this time would be the ability for Ukraine to start striking in Russia, far behind the lines, and being able to destroy important assets like their bomber fleet and most forward domestically deployed stocks/supplies. Maybe even Russian infrastructure too. Something to knock them back on their heels.

The Russian "mass" plan has lots and lots of it's own glaring flaws putting it in danger (shortages of many vital things) though so, while it could work, it's a very tenuous position and they've definitely got all their eggs in one basket. I don't think it would take a ton to upset their applecart. We already saw their panic over the very limited strike on Engles.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Grendelsbane:

I’m pretty sure the United Kingdom knows where their weapons are.
View Quote

Your autism is noted.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 11:07:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By theskuh:

yea for me this war is a real test of our ability to fight. I know it isn't our troops on the line or our best stuff yet. But if we can't stop Russia here it doesn't bode well for our strength against China or Russia in a conventional fight. My interest is seeing how well things are working and if we can actually project power against a near peer. We have some technological advantage but the whole quantity has a quality could be proven true here once again.  I feel we have a lot more to lose here than the Russians do.  

View All Quotes

yea for me this war is a real test of our ability to fight. I know it isn't our troops on the line or our best stuff yet. But if we can't stop Russia here it doesn't bode well for our strength against China or Russia in a conventional fight. My interest is seeing how well things are working and if we can actually project power against a near peer. We have some technological advantage but the whole quantity has a quality could be proven true here once again.  I feel we have a lot more to lose here than the Russians do.  

I feel the same way, it's certainly a real world stress test of NATO and how we can get our stuff together to fight off a threat.  I always pay attention to interviews with the Ukrainian military commanders when they make statements and found that for the most part their timetables have been correct.

This June they said that things would slow down over the winter, with perhaps one or two small offensives, but that by May they believe they have the momentum to push Russia out of their territories.   It was hard to believe them when they said that they'd retake Kherson by the winter, and here we are.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 11:10:08 AM EDT
[#30]

ETA - I'm even angry about the US handicapping the HIMARS that were sent. What BS. Russian military have directly killed US personnel in previous proxy wars, there is no good reason to withhold medium-range weapons from Ukraine, no good reason at all. Even today, after all that's happened, the US leadership is still slow-rolling and stinting on military aid. FJB, FVP.
View Quote

I see no evidence that Russia is winning. Quite the opposite.

Russia has lost over half the territory it gained since the invasion.it has lost more men and equipment than it started the invasion with.

All of those surviving forces that were pushed out of Kharkiv and Kherson Oblasts seem to have been moved to Bakhmut, where Russian offensive is either stalled, or they are losing hundreds of men to get a few hundred meters of ground. And that’s just one point on a front that is hundreds of kilometers.

If Ukraine has lost anything it’s forward momentum due to mud season and to conserve arms for offensives.  Russia has been degraded to the point of carrying out terror attacks to try to win a negotiated settlement.

Ukraine does need more arms, obviously, and Russia still has stockpiles.  There is a valid point that Russia can make a stalemate or perhaps hold some of Ukraine at a very high cost.  But overall, Russia isn’t winning, just being sore losers.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 11:10:34 AM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 12/17/2022 11:11:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:
One of the Russian shills promised me that someone would use a Javelin to assassinate Western European politicians. And so far I’ve been waiting in vain!
View Quote

Well, that Polish police dude almost got assassinated. By his own dumbass self.

(Although, to be fair to the guy, who gives a live RPG to somebody as a gift?)
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 11:13:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Failed Russian attempt to storm Ukrainian trenches in Bakhmut, Russian bodies in open field warning.

Link Posted: 12/17/2022 11:14:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Interesting upgrade to the Switchblade.

Link Posted: 12/17/2022 11:14:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 11:15:37 AM EDT
[#36]

Ukraine hit some group on the move if they tallied 14 vehicles in a day. Casualty count is above the norm as well. Wonder where the group was they clobbered?
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 11:16:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 11:18:44 AM EDT
[#38]

I feel the same way, it's certainly a real world stress test of NATO and how we can get our stuff together to fight off a threat.  I always pay attention to interviews with the Ukrainian military commanders when they make statements and found that for the most part their timetables have been correct.

This June they said that things would slow down over the winter, with perhaps one or two small offensives, but that by May they believe they have the momentum to push Russia out of their territories.   It was hard to believe them when they said that they'd retake Kherson by the winter, and here we are.
View All Quotes

Some people seem to be forgetting that they were kicking the living shit out of the Russians before mud and winter hit. The reason it stopped isn't because Russia got better or Ukraine got worse, it's exactly what everybody predicted: winter.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#39]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FkI_QurUoAA4Uu3?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

That'll be hard to detect.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 11:20:51 AM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 12/17/2022 11:22:07 AM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FkI_QurUoAA4Uu3?format=jpg&name=large

Yes it will.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 11:23:17 AM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 12/17/2022 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 11:25:40 AM EDT
[#44]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FkL_c8MXkAEWxUS?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

Now THAT'S the mustache of a Chief Master Sergeant.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 11:26:38 AM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

So we can trust CNN for a few seconds?????
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 11:27:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 11:27:31 AM EDT
[#47]
If y’all are discouraged that this has lasted not yet a year I wonder how most here will feel after it goes on into the third or fourth year. This could even go on for a generation.
Our dear leaders have stated as much

I can understand Primus’ skepticism
Who’s will faulters first?
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 11:29:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Didn't MOST expect this to turn into an attrition war in the late-fall and all of winter due to....that kind of being the SOP in this region on the eastern front in ww2?

I mean we have cruise missiles, and drones, but from what I know, vehicles aren't immensely better today than they were 70+ years ago, and unless either side wants to throw 1m+ guys to try and encircle ala stalingrad, you're kind of stuck till you can utilize maneuver warfare again.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 11:29:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By sq40:

Russia has lost over half the territory it gained since the invasion.it has lost more men and equipment than it started the invasion with.

All of those surviving forces that were pushed out of Kharkiv and Kherson Oblasts seem to have been moved to Bakhmut, where Russian offensive is either stalled, or they are losing hundreds of men to get a few hundred meters of ground. And that’s just one point on a front that is hundreds of kilometers.

If Ukraine has lost anything it’s forward momentum due to mud season and to conserve arms for offensives.  Russia has been degraded to the point of carrying out terror attacks to try to win a negotiated settlement.

Ukraine does need more arms, obviously, and Russia still has stockpiles.  There is a valid point that Russia can make a stalemate or perhaps hold some of Ukraine at a very high cost.  But overall, Russia isn’t winning, just being sore losers.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sq40:

I concur with this assessment. This stage of the war honestly reminds me of the summer, in which it appeared Russia was grinding away its way forward to a victory in the Donbas and people were questioning whether the Ukrainians could retake ground. Then, of course, the Ukrainians threw them out of Kharkiv and then Kherson.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 11:31:09 AM EDT
[#50]
https://charter97.org/en/news/2022/12/17/528627/

Breakthrough Of Southern Front: AFU Preparing To Strike Against Russians’ Most Important Point In Crimea

The Russian army cannot feel safe on the Crimean peninsula.

“I think the strikes on Dzhankoy will continue,” Ukrainian military expert Serhiy Zgurets writes in an article on the Espresso website.

There is the most important point for the enemy — a significant amount of artillery and equipment is being accumulated. In Sovetske, personnel were destroyed. We don't know what weapons we use.

“I think that the restrictions on the number of these weapons also affect the rate of destruction of the enemy in the Crimea,” the expert notes.

Page / 5589
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3182 of 5589)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top