Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3082 of 5589)
Page / 5589
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 2:50:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Featureless:

The United States has done very little recently towards increasing "fossil fuel" availability.  Our fuel prices are up significantly, too, and we're pushing the elimination of fossil fuels and nuke power to be "green."  That may be a noble goal but shifting off available reliable and plentiful enrgy sources before the alternatives are available was stupid.  And Europe was happy to do that too.
View Quote

I've heard that the "No Nukes" movement in Germany was
Soviet espionage's greatest victory of the cold war.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 4:42:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Tiberius:

Money is not why the CCP wants Taiwan. They want it because it’s an example of what Han Chinese can do without the CCP, because it is a storehouse of what Chinese history was before the CCP vandalized it, and most importantly, until the last stronghold of the hated Nationalists is overrun, they cannot truly say they won the Civil War.

The money and tech they will reap from sacking Taiwan is desirable, but it’s a small part of why they want it. They may well be willing to destroy Taiwan if that’s what it takes for them to have it. It should not be taken for granted blowing the fabs has or will deter them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
Originally Posted By R0N:

Russia and China have always been allies of convenience, and a weakened Russia actually shores up their flank.  Additionally the PRC sees the effort required to stop what amounts a regional bulky is heavily taxing the US when it comes to some of the key munitions for their fight this will also emboldened them.

I guess those in charge have fucked up what is actually needed. Being honest, if our air power was involved it would have been over by planting season. Now that Ukraine is finally pumping out trained soldiers, and have existing ones getting up to speed on weapons They have improved in their ability to hit targets. They are smart, tough, tenacious, and want their land back. It sucks they can't get air superiority, or have the planes to do it.
China doesn't want to blow the fuck out of Taiwan. What good does it do to take over a smoldering rock? It will suck mightily for them to try and take over. It is more likely to happen from within than invasion.

Money is not why the CCP wants Taiwan. They want it because it’s an example of what Han Chinese can do without the CCP, because it is a storehouse of what Chinese history was before the CCP vandalized it, and most importantly, until the last stronghold of the hated Nationalists is overrun, they cannot truly say they won the Civil War.

The money and tech they will reap from sacking Taiwan is desirable, but it’s a small part of why they want it. They may well be willing to destroy Taiwan if that’s what it takes for them to have it. It should not be taken for granted blowing the fabs has or will deter them.

I disagree. Tax revenue and a developed economy is a shining jewel ready to be plucked. Modern slavery is based on income taxes, and Tawain is ripe for the picking.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 4:56:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

Depends on how it happens. I doubt that Russia turns into Haiti or Yemen.

Why didnt anyone worry about Nazi Germany falling if we beat them too bad? Or Japan. Maybe it will get ugly and the world will be less safe. Maybe. BUT, if Russia is allowed to illegally invade neighbors, annex territory and blackmail the world by threats of force, THEN THE WORLD IS LESS SAFE GUARANTEED.

I think we had this "what if" happen back in 1991 when the USSR was MUCH more dangerous.

Maybe Putin's Russia NEEDS TO FALL. Anyway the USA, Ukraine, NATO etc are reacting to Russia's aggression. If it gets too hot for Russia, they have the option to stop this war in 30 minutes flat. No one is invading Russia, murdering their civilians, or bombing their homes and hospitals.
View Quote

Yaba daba doo!
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 5:06:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By amanbearpig:

I think comparing conflict with a nuclear power is far different than a pre-nuclear one for obvious reasons. I don't think there should be any doubt what would have happened if Germany had nukes in 1918 or 1945.

Comparing the current situation is also rather different from the fall of the USSR, as that fall was not actively happening during military conflict.

I don't want Russia to win at all, and am not advocating handing over Ukraine to Russia or anything like that, but it is certainly a fair question to wonder about the end game here. How this ends absolutely needs to be considered by those "running the show".

The unfortunate reality is if Putin falls during this war, it's likely, from my perspective, that whoever takes his place will be more hardline.
View Quote

You are probably right. Doves and anti-war protesters have been imprisoned or fled the country. The only critics of Putin are hardliners saying he isn't doing enough.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 5:13:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ludder093:
Just stop. Ron has had more insight into weapons systems than anyone. I don't agree with his stance but no one is changing anyone's minds. Just let it go. He's to valuable of a resource to chase off.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ludder093:
Originally Posted By AROKIE:
Just stop. Ron has had more insight into weapons systems than anyone. I don't agree with his stance but no one is changing anyone's minds. Just let it go. He's to valuable of a resource to chase off.

Ok, so where is that knowledge?  I’ve read every post and there is ZERO indication of a professional evaluation of the situation.  I’m not saying he doesn't have such knowledge;  I’m saying that it has not been reflected in his posts in regards to the issue at hand.

What we have gotten from RON’s posts are the following, in no particular order:
1)That the US has no national interest involved in the outcome of the Russia-Ukraine war.
2)That the level and content of US support damages US security and puts us in danger of losing a hypothetical future war against (probably) China.
3)That Ukraine “is not using the supplied weapons (i.e. HIMARS) properly and relies on emotional appeals to keep the supplies coming,” without offering any evidence to back that statement.
4)That Russia is not and never was a threat to us.
5)That vague, hypothetical, and unprovable questions about the potential outcomes of US/Western support should be enough to prevent said support.

Whatever this poster’s previous experience was, I see no evidence of this experience in his comments on this thread.  What I see are no better than opinions which have not been supported by either data, professional experience, or even cogent arguments.  I challenge RON or any other poster to show otherwise using his posts on this thread.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 5:22:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Easterner] [#6]
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 5:40:59 AM EDT
[#7]

One notable feature of recent UA-published counts is high KIAs with very low vehicle kills.  IMO this is either pointing to infantry wave attacks or environmental (cold) casualties, or both.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 7:02:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Mikhail_86:

yes someone post the link please
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mikhail_86:
Originally Posted By Kagetora:
@AlmightyTallest

Got my T80U tag today.  Thanks again for the link. You should re-post it here in case anyone else wants one.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/254435/Tag_jpg-2615160.JPG

yes someone post the link please
yes please!
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 7:28:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BustinCaps] [#9]
Originally Posted By Capta:

One notable feature of recent UA-published counts is high KIAs with very low vehicle kills.  IMO this is either pointing to infantry wave attacks or environmental (cold) casualties, or both.
View All Quotes

Or a lack of tanks to kill. Tanks may be back to the rear behind more static lines, too. Perhaps with the “real” army while prisoners and mobik’s get slaughtered in the forward lines.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 7:57:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By BustinCaps:

Or a lack of tanks to kill. Tanks may be back to the rear behind more static lines, too. Perhaps with the “real” army while prisoners and mobik’s get slaughtered in the forward lines.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BustinCaps:

About 2:20 in:
Analysis: Russia using 'human wave' troops in Donbas
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 8:00:40 AM EDT
[#11]
New Perun. It's about Poland buying Korean stuff which may become relevant in this mess:

Polish military modernisation & why are they buying Korean tanks? - Featuring @TheChieftainsHatch

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 8:53:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#12]
Originally Posted By Freiheit8472:

A reply to that shows the mobiks finding food caches while they get 28g a day of biscuits (aka cookies in our English I think)

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Freiheit8472:
Originally Posted By centex_SR-15:

Hopefully this is a precursor to general mutiny among them.

A reply to that shows the mobiks finding food caches while they get 28g a day of biscuits (aka cookies in our English I think)

That first tweet if true really has me wondering if Russian units are going to Sign My Rocket and leaving notes to the coordinates of their HQ.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 8:58:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 8:58:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Kagetora:
@AlmightyTallest

Got my T80U tag today.  Thanks again for the link. You should re-post it here in case anyone else wants one.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/254435/Tag_jpg-2615160.JPG
View Quote

Those things look great!   Glad you guys got them.  I can't remember the link because I found it in a twitter post months ago.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:01:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Easterner:

Running out of room is a sore subject in a Soviet era apartment.

This refound hobby is supposed to get my mind right. Now instead of stressing about if that's an explosion outside or someone working on their Lada, i am glueing parts as big as a flea.

Next of the agenda...
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/526834/IMG_20221127_041523_jpg-2615162.JPG

Before we get yelled at...
Situation with cell service across the country. Lots of friends went dark on the other side. Always in my prayers.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/526834/IMG_20221127_042817_jpg-2615155.JPG

I am still amazed how reliable the mail has been this whole time. I have been ordering models and supplies from Kharkov. Patches and clothing from Odessa, Kyiv, and Lviv. Everything gets here to Dnipro in 1-2 days by New Post. New Post had to shut down early for shelling, but don't worry, we'll get back to work once the sirens stop.

Take notes USPS!
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/526834/IMG_20221127_043405_jpg-2615156.JPG

Can't forget Ukrposhta. I just sent an international shipment and it is already out if the country a few days later  The resilience is everywhere. Ukrainians keep going despite it all. It is everyone keeping their heads that makes staying here so much more bearable.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/526834/IMG_20221127_044930_jpg-2615177.JPG
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Easterner:
Originally Posted By Dog1:

The 1/72nd scale kits with the small fiddly bits can be very frustrating. At least with either 1/48 or 1/35 scale they can be frustrating but at least the fiddly bits are not small as the smaller scale.

As I've gotten older I really appreciate the 1/16th scale vehicles however you quickly run out of room trying to display them LOL

The problem with farm equipment models is they're usually in the 1/24th scale. Somebody needs to come out with a 1/35th scale tractor.

ETA- apparently Hasagawa makes three tractors in 1/35th scale

Running out of room is a sore subject in a Soviet era apartment.

This refound hobby is supposed to get my mind right. Now instead of stressing about if that's an explosion outside or someone working on their Lada, i am glueing parts as big as a flea.

Next of the agenda...
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/526834/IMG_20221127_041523_jpg-2615162.JPG

Before we get yelled at...
Situation with cell service across the country. Lots of friends went dark on the other side. Always in my prayers.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/526834/IMG_20221127_042817_jpg-2615155.JPG

I am still amazed how reliable the mail has been this whole time. I have been ordering models and supplies from Kharkov. Patches and clothing from Odessa, Kyiv, and Lviv. Everything gets here to Dnipro in 1-2 days by New Post. New Post had to shut down early for shelling, but don't worry, we'll get back to work once the sirens stop.

Take notes USPS!
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/526834/IMG_20221127_043405_jpg-2615156.JPG

Can't forget Ukrposhta. I just sent an international shipment and it is already out if the country a few days later  The resilience is everywhere. Ukrainians keep going despite it all. It is everyone keeping their heads that makes staying here so much more bearable.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/526834/IMG_20221127_044930_jpg-2615177.JPG

Great post, I'm really glad focusing on the model construction is helping your stress levels.  Hope the rest of the family has some good diversions to keep their mind off of it as well.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:01:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DreadPirateMoyer] [#16]

Ok, so where is that knowledge?  I’ve read every post and there is ZERO indication of a professional evaluation of the situation.  I’m not saying he doesn't have such knowledge;  I’m saying that it has not been reflected in his posts in regards to the issue at hand.

What we have gotten from RON’s posts are the following, in no particular order:
1)That the US has no national interest involved in the outcome of the Russia-Ukraine war.
2)That the level and content of US support damages US security and puts us in danger of losing a hypothetical future war against (probably) China.
3)That Ukraine “is not using the supplied weapons (i.e. HIMARS) properly and relies on emotional appeals to keep the supplies coming,” without offering any evidence to back that statement.
4)That Russia is not and never was a threat to us.
5)That vague, hypothetical, and unprovable questions about the potential outcomes of US/Western support should be enough to prevent said support.

Whatever this poster’s previous experience was, I see no evidence of this experience in his comments on this thread.  What I see are no better than opinions which have not been supported by either data, professional experience, or even cogent arguments.  I challenge RON or any other poster to show otherwise using his posts on this thread.
View Quote

I’ve been reading this thread since day 1, and at this point, I think it’s pretty clear that R0N is not arguing in good faith and is simply trolling. I was willing to give him a break because 25% of his contributions so far have been extremely helpful in terms of arms knowledge, but the rest have devolved into nothing more than concern trolling. His posts should be treated as nothing more at this point.

The weird accusations, the vagueposting about nebulous questions with no answers, the clear unwillingness to concede any points on even the smallest issues, the thread sliding…it’s getting really old at this point. His 3/4 trash posts shouldn’t be given a pass any longer because of his 1/4 good posts.

The facts of the matter are:

1. Russia is the #2 strategic enemy to the United States.
2. Russia considers the United States its #1 enemy and has called for our destruction multiple times.
3. Russia is only losing this war due to the entire western world ganging up to take it down; that doesn’t mean it isn’t/wasn’t a strategic threat. It very much still is/was.
4. Our military exists to defeat threats to the US.
5. Providing military equipment to a country in a proxy war against a strategic enemy is not only a great return on investment, but achieving the exact goals that equipment was produced for in the first place, all *without the loss of any American life* (excepting volunteers).
6. The war in Ukraine isn’t anything like the US’s previous foreign entanglements. We aren’t pushing for regime change in Ukraine. We aren’t fighting against a bunch of cave dwellers that aren’t a strategic threat to our lives. We aren’t doing the majority (or even any) of the fighting. It’s not costing us trillions of dollars in budget cost. Opposing assistance to Ukraine because of Iraq, Libya, etc. is asinine and way off base.
7. Most of the weapons we are providing to Ukraine are not of priority use in a war with China.
8. Even if they were, we are actively replacing the stockpiles of old equipment we sent to Ukraine with new equipment. Great.
9. All of this comes at the cost of 5-10% of our annual defense budget.

It’s the bargain of the decade — maybe of the freaking century. To not take our #2 strategic enemy off the table in a proxy war that costs a small minority of our annual defense budget *which exists to counter strategic threats in the first place* is absolutely crazy. I genuinely doubt the sincerity of anyone so adamantly refusing to acknowledge that; even if they don’t agree with the argument, someone arguing in good faith should be able to understand it as one of many valid opinions on the matter and not simply write it off with accusations of emotional investment. I’m just one dude who hardly posts, but I’m not dealing with R0N’s bullcrap in this thread any longer, and neither should all of you. He should be treated like the troll he is.

NOTE: I didn’t use a single argument about family investment/ancestry or hypotheticals (that history has proven true, unlike fears of Russian nuclear power transitions) of what happens when the world appeases genocidal dictators. There is no emotion here. It’s cold, hard logic. Anyone writing this stuff off as emotional should be written off themselves.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:04:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By The_Gooch:
All I've seen is that some of the units have been delivered. That was some time ago and I assume they have been activated by now, as they got the NASAMS and IRIS-T up and running fairly quickly. I haven't heard of any issues with them yet.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By governmentman:
The firing of disarmed nuclear capable missiles is mind blowing.

Depleting Ukraine's air defense makes little sense to me. The west will just keep resupplying.

I'm thinking the real reason is political. Putin or someone high up orders X missiles launched, and this is the military's desperate attempt to obey the letter of the order.

Could be, but Russia certainly appears to be trying to saturate UA defenses, and objectively a dud cruise missile will do that.  They (IMO) are probably trying to overwhelm defenses on any one particular attack, as well as probably launching rapid follow-up attacks (armed missile wave following decoy missile wave) to try to catch the UA before they can reload their SAM batteries.
Its nice they have the old HAWK systems now to use on the lower threat targets and can save the good stuff for the high value targets.

I havent seen any confirmation yet that Hawk is in service yet.  The ones they got from Spain could easily have been garbage.
All I've seen is that some of the units have been delivered. That was some time ago and I assume they have been activated by now, as they got the NASAMS and IRIS-T up and running fairly quickly. I haven't heard of any issues with them yet.

This, plus a recent shipment of supplies to Ukraine in the mid October to early November timeframe mentioned "HAWK missiles" as the only supply item, meaning the sytems might be in the area and now they are supplying the refurbished missiles.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:08:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: switchtanks] [#18]

Starting to notice a trend of less tanks being taken off the field and a massive surge in personnel being KIA. I’m no expert but that seems to suggest a change in tactics or strategy on the part of the Russians. I’d be curious to hear what you guys think but I’m wondering if the Russians are finally getting to the point where they’re legitimately starting to run out of operable machinery and even the less that modern stuff isn’t worth using.

Anybody else notice this?

ETA- beat by Bustincaps
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:15:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By DreadPirateMoyer:

The facts of the matter are:

1. Russia is the #2 strategic enemy to the United States.
2. Russia considers the United States its #1 enemy and has called for our destruction multiple times.
3. Russia is only losing this war due to the entire western world ganging up to take it down; that doesn't mean it isn't/wasn't a strategic threat. It very much still is/was.
4. Our military exists to defeat threats to the US.
5. Providing military equipment to a country in a proxy war against a strategic enemy is not only a great return on investment, but achieving the exact goals that equipment was produced for in the first place, all *without the loss of any American life* (excepting volunteers).
6. The war in Ukraine isn't anything like the US's previous foreign entanglements. We aren't pushing for regime change in Ukraine. We aren't fighting against a bunch of cave dwellers that aren't a strategic threat to our lives. We aren't doing the majority (or even any) of the fighting. It's not costing us trillions of dollars in budget cost. Opposing assistance to Ukraine because of Iraq, Libya, etc. is asinine and way off base.
7. Most of the weapons we are providing to Ukraine are not of priority use in a war with China.
8. Even if they were, we are actively replacing the stockpiles of old equipment we sent to Ukraine with new equipment. Great.
9. All of this comes at the cost of 5-10% of our annual defense budget.

It's the bargain of the decade   maybe of the freaking century. To not take our #2 strategic enemy off the table in a proxy war that costs a small minority of our annual defense budget *which exists to counter strategic threats in the first place* is absolutely crazy. I genuinely doubt the sincerity of anyone so adamantly refusing to acknowledge that; even if they don't agree with the argument, someone arguing in good faith should be able to understand it as one of many valid opinions on the matter and not simply write it off with accusations of emotional investment.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:20:22 AM EDT
[#21]
If we can keep the parts and rounds going they will keep doing stuff like this to Soviets

Outside of Bakhmut. Platoon/Company, gone.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:20:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:22:06 AM EDT
[#23]
NSFW.  Ukrainian drone drop on Russian soldiers with secondaries from the Russian soldiers.

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:23:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:27:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By _LandCruiser_:

I hope NF does something about their scopes leaking to the Russians.
View Quote

True, but I'm relieved that all those scopes we were seeing weren't battlefield pickups.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:29:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:30:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By planemaker:

I'm of the opposite opinion. If Putin falls because of this war, some oligarch or other will be the new head dog and is likely to not repeat the same mistakes of his predecessor. War is bad for business. The only reason Putin is still alive is that nobody has figured out a way to kill him yet. But, either they will or they will tell him he's now "retired" and he'll spend the rest of his life in a nice house.
View Quote

Well, I imagine there are 2 competing camps in Russia right now. Both see the war going poorly at best. Both, like the vast majority of the world, likely thought the war would go much "easier". One side, like you suggest, will want to end the conflict as soon as possible. The other will want to continue to escalate.

I think the problem is that right now, human pride has a very hard time admitting failure, especially if part of you is thinking "if we just take this other hand from behind our back". People are willing to do stupid things if they perceive it as necessary - whether valid or not.

We can completely rightly sit here and say whoa just get rid of Putin and everything will be fine we can have peace and prosperity, but there will be a large component in Russia who currently view the conflict as existential-lite. They view their future as a nation and as a quasi first world nation as in jeopardy. Whether we agree or whether their opinion is incorrect or not doesn't matter, it only has to be perceived that way by enough people. I certainly hope you're right.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:31:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
NSFW.  Ukrainian drone drop on Russian soldiers with secondaries from the Russian soldiers.

View Quote

Stop, drop, and roll.. DAMN!!
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:41:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#29]
Russian soldiers in the Bakhmut area are discovered dead of hypothermia from a fellow soldier checking on them.  Then the artillery starts coming in.

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:45:52 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

They never help their buddies, every man for himself. Just like Animals. Kill them all.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:47:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:52:29 AM EDT
[#32]

For those not aware, there are huge protests and riots throughout China leaking out on Twitter the past few days, it seems to be bigger than I first thought and it's spreading.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:56:35 AM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:58:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CharlieR] [#34]
I realize noone probably cares, other then me, but I think the way these guys are dug in is the textbook way.  This is from Vietnam, I assume Marines.

Build your fighting positions and bunkers with overhead cover, and the trench is behind the fighting positions. Use it to move back and forth as a commo trench, between the bunkers, not a fighting position. Spend all day under the overhead cover, not the trench.

We tend to not bother with camouflage and Id say a whole lot of dirt and leaves need to go over the sandbags.  But that's Vietnam

In the Army there are eight classes of supply.  "Class IV" is barrier and fortification materials. Im somewhat disappointed we haven't let a contract with the Poles or someone to provide lumber, and we should have offloaded sandbags.  

In all the photos I see of Ukrainian troops being trained by our Euro partners, I see lots of attacking and CQBing, It would be nice if they built a "petting zoo" of how to dig in and what right looks like.

I've posted this a few times...these Russians in their stupid trenches and hasty positions are what wrong looks like...this is text book: link

I don't know who did this but I KNOW they are good soldiers.   You can FEEL the presence of a really good noncommissioned officer looking at this video.  
Definitely a professional.  

Tip 'o the cap to them, wherever they are.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:59:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:

I disagree. Tax revenue and a developed economy is a shining jewel ready to be plucked. Modern slavery is based on income taxes, and Tawain is ripe for the picking.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
Originally Posted By R0N:

Russia and China have always been allies of convenience, and a weakened Russia actually shores up their flank.  Additionally the PRC sees the effort required to stop what amounts a regional bulky is heavily taxing the US when it comes to some of the key munitions for their fight this will also emboldened them.

I guess those in charge have fucked up what is actually needed. Being honest, if our air power was involved it would have been over by planting season. Now that Ukraine is finally pumping out trained soldiers, and have existing ones getting up to speed on weapons They have improved in their ability to hit targets. They are smart, tough, tenacious, and want their land back. It sucks they can't get air superiority, or have the planes to do it.
China doesn't want to blow the fuck out of Taiwan. What good does it do to take over a smoldering rock? It will suck mightily for them to try and take over. It is more likely to happen from within than invasion.

Tiberius is right. Taiwan would be a top priority for CCP if it were undeveloped farmland and forest. If you've read some of their internal articles, it's 100% about nationalism. Every area that was ever China's at any point in history should be China's today. That's their basis for action on Taiwan & South China Sea.
(end off-topic)
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:59:32 AM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:01:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By CharlieR:
I realize noone probably cares, other then me, but I think the way these guys are dug in is the textbook way.  This is from Vietnam, I assume Marines.

Build your fighting positions and bunkers with overhead cover, and the trench is behind the fighting positions. Use it to move back and forth as a commo trench, between the bunkers, not a fighting position. Spend all day under the overhead cover, not the trench.

We tend to not bother with camouflage and Id say a whole lot of dirt and leaves need to go over the sandbags.  But that's Vietnam

In the Army there are eight classes of supply.  "Class IV" is barrier and fortification materials. Im somewhat disappointed we haven't let a contract with the Poles or someone to provide lumber, and we should have offloaded sandbags.  

In all the photos I see of Ukrainian troops being trained by our Euro partners, I see lots of attacking and CQBing, It would be nice if they built a "petting zoo" of how to dig in and what right looks like.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/06/fd/ab/06fdab05efc4780c372d8eccead65530.jpg

I've posted this a few times...these Russians in their stupid trenches and hasty positions are what wrong looks like...this is text book: link

I dont know who did this but I know they are good soldiers.  Tip 'o the cap to them, wherever they are.
View Quote

I do care, and really appreciate your input on this sort of thing.  It helps put things into a proper perspective and to see what works and what doesn't on the battlefield.  

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:01:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Russian defenses approaching Crimea:
Satellite Imagery of Nine Russian Defensive Positions in Kherson Heading to Crimea

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:05:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By switchtanks:

Starting to notice a trend of less tanks being taken off the field and a massive surge in personnel being KIA. I’m no expert but that seems to suggest a change in tactics or strategy on the part of the Russians. I’d be curious to hear what you guys think but I’m wondering if the Russians are finally getting to the point where they’re legitimately starting to run out of operable machinery and even the less that modern stuff isn’t worth using.

Anybody else notice this?

ETA- beat by Bustincaps
View Quote

Its the mud.

You cant penny packet a platoon of tanks here and there with Russian infantry in fighting positions when the Russians are in open fields. Tanks get stuck. Russians have no recovery capability.

I imagine they are clustered in reserve under roofs in villages adjacent to hardball roads.

Two months or so I mentioned this is an opportunity for the Ukrainians, some nighttime assaults with UA infantry and artillery will work well as the Russian tanks will have counterattack problems, due to the mud.  Its a light infantry war for a little while, maybe until ground freezes.

Geek moment:  Everyone assumes the Battle of the Bulge was this Wintry fight but actually the first few days were overcast, above freezing, and muddy.  German tanks were trapped on roads.  Off roads it was an infantry fight until the ground froze later that month.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:
I’m sympathetic to R0N’s argument though I would make a different call than he would. His concerns are entirely reasonable.
View Quote

The USA is declining right now (by design) whether the US govt provides financial and military aid the Ukraine or not.
There would likely be a mild recession had Trumps economic and energy policies continued intact - with the current war.   And ended the insane covid restrictions.  
But it almost certainly wouldn't be looking like it is now.  Probably boarding on depression now more than anything.  
And if the world didn't need to worry about the mis-statements of a third grade flunkie dementia addled pedo president to enflame the situations abroad.  He gave the green light to Putin, after all.

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:11:32 AM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:12:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#42]
Nice.  Looks like they setup an IR camera with IR lighting on the top of the cab so they can drive with the lights out.

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

https://nitter.net/PaulJawin/status/1596792437640687617
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:20:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By m35ben:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn1SeAqkSZg
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:32:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By DreadPirateMoyer:
I’ve been reading this thread since day 1, and at this point, I think it’s pretty clear that R0N is not arguing in good faith and is simply trolling. I was willing to give him a break because 25% of his contributions so far have been extremely helpful in terms of arms knowledge, but the rest have devolved into nothing more than concern trolling. His posts should be treated as nothing more at this point.
View Quote

He is old enough to remember not being able to move in Baghdad because of all the Iraqis in the streets, throwing flowers, offering us food, offering us money. If you had asked then whether I would dealing with daily rocket, mortar, and IED attacks a year later in Fallujah, I don’t think either of us would have predicted that.

War is inherently unpredictable, and people do what they think they can do, not what they think you expect them to do. All of the people who were expert epidemiologists a year ago seem to have suddenly become expert strategists. Those are the people who should not be taken seriously.

There seems to be an assumption that any challenge from China will be a “USN/USAF” fight. It is a heck of a lot more likely that the people pushing that line are Chinese shills then that Ron is a Russian shill.There is a lot of real estate on this planet that does not require China to cross salt water.

Unlike every other power in the civilized world, we have to recognize that if we find ourselves in a conflict nobody will be coming to our rescue. Nobody else has them, and if they do they will not be shipping them to us. If we don’t have the weapons there will not be time to make them.

In 1940 the French were crying for fighters. Britain sent what they could, but not a single one more than what they judged was necessary to defend their own shores. It was the right decision then, and is the right decision now.

Not having sufficient ammunition to train our own forces is a red flag mounted on a flashing light with a siren.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:45:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Russian soldiers in the Bakhmut area are discovered dead of hypothermia from a fellow soldier checking on them.  Then the artillery starts coming in.

View Quote

I'm just astounded.  

They are surrounded by lumber.  Build a little dugout to rotate guys in.  If you don't build an obvious opening for a drone, a small little fire could keep guys alive.

https://www.quora.com/On-the-Eastern-front-41-to-44-how-and-where-did-soldiers-sleep-at-below-zero-temperatures/answer/Viktor-Ygorov?ch=10&oid=21199958&share=73ab799f&target_type=answer
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:45:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:51:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack67] [#48]
Originally Posted By vtmarine:
….

There is a lot of real estate on this planet that does not require China to cross salt water….
View Quote

And there is 0% of that real estate we need or want to defend, that isn’t armed to the teeth already. Are you wanting to defend - with ground forces - Mongolia? Siberia? Kazakstan?  Vietnam?  Because that’s the list.  S. Korea, the one single piece of real estate that might apply - is well covered.  That’s the sole point this could possibly apply to.

The idea we need to sacrifice Ukraine in order to preserve our short and intermediate artillery stockpiles because - “China” -  is nuts.  It’s a straw-man argument of the first order of ignorance.

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:52:05 AM EDT
[#49]

I'm just astounded.  

They are surrounded by lumber.  Build a little dugout to rotate guys in.  If you don't build an obvious opening for a drone, a small little fire could keep guys alive.

https://www.quora.com/On-the-Eastern-front-41-to-44-how-and-where-did-soldiers-sleep-at-below-zero-temperatures/answer/Viktor-Ygorov?ch=10&oid=21199958&share=73ab799f&target_type=answer
View All Quotes

I'm just astounded.  

Intercepted phone calls of Russian units the past few weeks are repeatedly complaining that they aren't being rotated at all from their front line positions.  Add in a lack of sleep, stress and casualties from incoming Ukrainian ordinance, and now the cold wet conditions.  I'm guessing we're going to see more footage of this to the point that the deniers will not be able to refute them as rumors.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:53:03 AM EDT
[#50]

French and Ukrainian flags, too. Lol. Looks like they understand Putin is using them like a Shake ‘n Bake bag and don’t like it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By centex_SR-15:

Putin betrayed the Armenians, there was no “inability to help”. It was due to a combination of wanting to stay on good terms with the Azeris (and their Turkish patrons) and putting Armenia in a position of increased dependency on him for “protection”. He didn’t let Baby Assad twist in the wind like he did to Armenia.

A screenshot I took of Armenians protesting Putin at the summit.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/260794/15EBC4AC-50D1-4B00-B57C-F79A9ED68256-2612159.jpg

Flying our flag is one hell of a slap in the face.

Full video. Time stamp is at about 6:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5lkIbxKNdc

French and Ukrainian flags, too. Lol. Looks like they understand Putin is using them like a Shake ‘n Bake bag and don’t like it.

I can't remember the last time a non-US citizen has been seen holding up a US flag in a positive way.  

What strange times we're in this year...
Page / 5589
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3082 of 5589)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top