Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3006 of 5589)
Page / 5589
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 11/13/2022 10:01:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 10:02:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 10:04:03 AM EDT
[#3]
New Perun:

How lies destroy armies - Lies, coverups, and Russian failures in Ukraine

Link Posted: 11/13/2022 10:05:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By iggy1337:

New Perun analisis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz59GWeTIik
View Quote
So far its good as always
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 10:13:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
Well played
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By m35ben:
Well played

Threads to use that on are very rare.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 2A373:

Threads to use that on are very rare.
View Quote
But usually very good
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 10:18:21 AM EDT
[#7]

2nd times a charm
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 10:23:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Zam18th:

I didn't think anyone would read it because it was so long.
View Quote

If you read his post closely, ITCHY only says he looked at the pictures.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 10:27:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
View Quote

Russia doesn't have the competence to fight ... only intimidation and suppression of people within their borders ... Russian government sucks ...
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 10:29:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By centex_SR-15:

2nd times a charm
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By centex_SR-15:

2nd times a charm

Yep

The number of replies shown on the subscribed threads page is off by 2. I first posted when it showed 150250 replies and ended up with post #49 on page 3005.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 10:31:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 10:31:48 AM EDT
[#12]
The Russian KA-50 and -52 were designed to be more survivable based on the lessons of Afghanistan.

Stingers would orient ona Hinds tailpipe and blow off the tail boom, and the wreck would fall like a falling leaf.  There is a lot of surface area from the engine to the tail rotor. The Rudsian concept was if you design the helicopter to stay stable without the tail boom, and use contrarotating rotor blades, there is a lot less area to armor, and you can armor up the key areas more.

I'm not saying it worked.  I think modern heat seeking missiles are hitting center mass and it doesn't matter that much, and there isn't enough time to eject.  But that was the idea.

The source below is 25 years old and probably out of date, but the idea behind contrarotating blades was to reduce the area of vulnerable parts.  I would agree with anyone who comes along and says it isnt working.

Survivability
Lessons learned from both the American involvement in Vietnam and particularly Soviet involvement in Afghanistan resulted in the incorporation of numerous survivability features. The lack of a tail rotor and the associated linkages means the aircraft will not be lost if the tail is shot off or damaged. The Ka-50 can even maintain controlled flight without a tail, damage to which accounted for almost one-third of helicopter casualties in Afghanistan.

The Ka-50 employs approximately four times (by weight) the amount of ballistic armor protection to the cockpit, compared to the Apache. Armor composition is a simple double-walled steel configuration that can sustain 20-mm hits at a range of 100 meters. A rocket-assisted K-37 ejection seat is fitted and designed to deploy immediately after the rotors and canopy have been jettisoned. The engine exhaust signature is reduced by utilization of an infrared shielding device. Internally, the systems are designed and located to minimize the effects of hostile fire. The two engines are located as far away from each other as is practical. Fuel tanks are designed not to leak or explode if penetrated. Important components are in the center of the craft surrounded by less vital ones.

In terms of maneuverability, the rotor design permits much more rapid turns for quick retreat from hostile surprises. The small size (sixteen meters long with blades rotating) and narrow width permit it to operate at low level in restrictive terrain. Lastly, the wing pylons mount countermeasure pods on the ends.
View Quote

https://webharvest.gov/peth04/20041019163741/http://fmso.leavenworth.army.mil/red-star/issues/JUL95/JUL95.HTML#THREAT
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 10:36:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 10:45:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#14]
Originally Posted By CharlieR:
The Russian KA-50 and -52 were designed to be more survivable based on the lessons of Afghanistan.

Stingers would orient ona Hinds tailpipe and blow off the tail boom, and the wreck would fall like a falling leaf.  There is a lot of surface area from the engine to the tail rotor. The Rudsian concept was if you design the helicopter to stay stable without the tail boom, and use contrarotating rotor blades, there is a lot less area to armor, and you can armor up the key areas more.

I'm not saying it worked.  I think modern heat seeking missiles are hitting center mass and it doesn't matter that much, and there isn't enough time to eject.  But that was the idea.

The source below is 25 years old and probably out of date, but the idea behind contrarotating blades was to reduce the area of vulnerable parts.  I would agree with anyone who comes along and says it isnt working.

https://webharvest.gov/peth04/20041019163741/http://fmso.leavenworth.army.mil/red-star/issues/JUL95/JUL95.HTML#THREAT
View All Quotes

Survivability
Lessons learned from both the American involvement in Vietnam and particularly Soviet involvement in Afghanistan resulted in the incorporation of numerous survivability features. The lack of a tail rotor and the associated linkages means the aircraft will not be lost if the tail is shot off or damaged. The Ka-50 can even maintain controlled flight without a tail, damage to which accounted for almost one-third of helicopter casualties in Afghanistan.

The Ka-50 employs approximately four times (by weight) the amount of ballistic armor protection to the cockpit, compared to the Apache. Armor composition is a simple double-walled steel configuration that can sustain 20-mm hits at a range of 100 meters. A rocket-assisted K-37 ejection seat is fitted and designed to deploy immediately after the rotors and canopy have been jettisoned. The engine exhaust signature is reduced by utilization of an infrared shielding device. Internally, the systems are designed and located to minimize the effects of hostile fire. The two engines are located as far away from each other as is practical. Fuel tanks are designed not to leak or explode if penetrated. Important components are in the center of the craft surrounded by less vital ones.

In terms of maneuverability, the rotor design permits much more rapid turns for quick retreat from hostile surprises. The small size (sixteen meters long with blades rotating) and narrow width permit it to operate at low level in restrictive terrain. Lastly, the wing pylons mount countermeasure pods on the ends.

It was a fascinating study, but like you said, modern weapons with faster processing power, better seeker imaging and AI algorithms to make the missile aim at certain points of the air frame are what negated the Russian concept.

Here is declassified video of an AIM-9X with such capability from over 20 years ago.   Notice it rejects flares, sees the target.  Top left of the screen shows what the seeker in the AIM-9X sees.  Tests were done without the warhead on the AIM-9X.

With warhead:

Link Posted: 11/13/2022 10:48:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CharlieR] [#15]
Originally Posted By Brok3n:
Complete GoPro of a Terrible Recon Mission in Ukraine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJSfEEdV76k
View Quote

I'm not gonna lie, that video looks off.

It looks like a bunch of guys patrolling in a very safe area, because much of what they are doing just looks off.  It either fake-ish, or they wont be around long.

I dont see any optics, crawling, they are walking around with big heavy rucks in broad daylight with no cover and they are moving in a six man brick with no bounding.  As discussed, they are moving way too fast with way too much and making way too much noise.

Id say ground your heavy kit and crawl, pull out binos, or wait until dark and infiltrate.

I am skeptical what you see is what is happening; or how these guys have lived this long if this is legit.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 10:56:43 AM EDT
[#16]

It looks like a bunch of guys patrolling in a very safe area, because much of what they are doing just looks off.  It either fake-ish, or they wont be around long.

I dont see any optics, crawling, they are walking around with big heavy rucks in broad daylight with no cover and they are moving in a six man brick with no bounding.  As discussed, they are moving way to fast with way too much and moving way too much noise.

Id say ground your heavy kit and crawl, pull out binos, or wait until dark and infiltrate.

I am skeptical what you see is what is happening; or how these guys have lived this long if this is legit.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Brok3n:
Complete GoPro of a Terrible Recon Mission in Ukraine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJSfEEdV76k

I dont see any optics, crawling, they are walking around with big heavy rucks in broad daylight with no cover and they are moving in a six man brick with no bounding.  As discussed, they are moving way to fast with way too much and moving way too much noise.

It came up on my YouTube yesterday and my first thought was what the hell
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 10:56:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By DASJUDEN:

Going to answer these in reverse order because it just flows better.
So a helicopter remains in ground effect(IGE) up to a distance that is roughly equivalent to its rotor diameter, for an Apache it's roughly around 50ft. Without nerding out on it and going through a long ass spiel on aerodynamics the rotor is more efficient in producing lift while IGE and requires less power to remain at a hover. Hovering above that 50ft (or whatever the rotor diameter is) is called hovering out of ground effect (OGE) and requires typically 20% or more power applied to maintain that hover. So if I'm hovering at say 64% torque IGE it would be closer to 84% if I was at an OGE hover. Important to note is that in a helicopter you don't always have 100% torque available due to factors such as high temperature, high density altitude, and high gross weight of the helicopter (the inverse to this is also true.) Sometimes you've got 106% torque available, sometimes you've got 86% torque available. It's all dependent on loadout and environmental conditions.

The ability to hover OGE is desirable because it lets you use the strengths of the helicopter platform (vertical climb and descent) to the fullest extent. If I don't have the power to hover OGE I have to stay above what is called Velocity Safe Dual Engine (VSDE) or if I'm a single engine helicopter Velocity Safe Single Engine(VSSE.) Both VSDE and VSSE are a minimum airspeed that if I don't maintain at or above that speed the helicopter will be in a descent until one of three things happens. Either I get my airspeed back above the VSDE/VSSE, I am back in ground effect, or the helicopter hits the ground. If I can hover OGE I can move a lot lower and a lot slower to get into a position that I can shoot the enemy from. If I'm working as a team of 2 helicopters, one helicopter can come up from behind the trees and hold a stable stationary firing position and cover their wingman while they maneuver forward. We call that bounding overwatch. If I've got a sensor mounted on top of my rotor mast like our fire control radar(FCR) it allows me to just get the FCR above the trees so that way I'm not exposing my whole aircraft to enemy fire and I'm presenting them with a smaller target.

The Hind due to both how it was designed aerodynamically (the wings on it generate a significant amount of lift for the airframe) and the engines it's equipped with is incapable of hovering OGE once it is fully loaded out for combat operations, they just don't have the max torque available. It's inherent in the design of the weapon system as well. The earlier models all had fixed forward guns with limited elevation adjustment rather than turrets, the prevalence of rocket pods used in a saturation fire manner, and the use of wire guided missiles because the aircraft as designed was meant to strafe like a fixed wing and take targets head on. It essentially functions as a very slow fixed wing asset that can utilize unimproved surfaces rather than a helicopter. Hope that answers your questions and hope the acronym explanation style I used was to everyone's liking.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JTF:

Is this due to lack of power/torque?
and why would it be desirable? How is that used?
ground effect hover ...... what is that, ~ 20 FT above ground level

So a helicopter remains in ground effect(IGE) up to a distance that is roughly equivalent to its rotor diameter, for an Apache it's roughly around 50ft. Without nerding out on it and going through a long ass spiel on aerodynamics the rotor is more efficient in producing lift while IGE and requires less power to remain at a hover. Hovering above that 50ft (or whatever the rotor diameter is) is called hovering out of ground effect (OGE) and requires typically 20% or more power applied to maintain that hover. So if I'm hovering at say 64% torque IGE it would be closer to 84% if I was at an OGE hover. Important to note is that in a helicopter you don't always have 100% torque available due to factors such as high temperature, high density altitude, and high gross weight of the helicopter (the inverse to this is also true.) Sometimes you've got 106% torque available, sometimes you've got 86% torque available. It's all dependent on loadout and environmental conditions.

The ability to hover OGE is desirable because it lets you use the strengths of the helicopter platform (vertical climb and descent) to the fullest extent. If I don't have the power to hover OGE I have to stay above what is called Velocity Safe Dual Engine (VSDE) or if I'm a single engine helicopter Velocity Safe Single Engine(VSSE.) Both VSDE and VSSE are a minimum airspeed that if I don't maintain at or above that speed the helicopter will be in a descent until one of three things happens. Either I get my airspeed back above the VSDE/VSSE, I am back in ground effect, or the helicopter hits the ground. If I can hover OGE I can move a lot lower and a lot slower to get into a position that I can shoot the enemy from. If I'm working as a team of 2 helicopters, one helicopter can come up from behind the trees and hold a stable stationary firing position and cover their wingman while they maneuver forward. We call that bounding overwatch. If I've got a sensor mounted on top of my rotor mast like our fire control radar(FCR) it allows me to just get the FCR above the trees so that way I'm not exposing my whole aircraft to enemy fire and I'm presenting them with a smaller target.

The Hind due to both how it was designed aerodynamically (the wings on it generate a significant amount of lift for the airframe) and the engines it's equipped with is incapable of hovering OGE once it is fully loaded out for combat operations, they just don't have the max torque available. It's inherent in the design of the weapon system as well. The earlier models all had fixed forward guns with limited elevation adjustment rather than turrets, the prevalence of rocket pods used in a saturation fire manner, and the use of wire guided missiles because the aircraft as designed was meant to strafe like a fixed wing and take targets head on. It essentially functions as a very slow fixed wing asset that can utilize unimproved surfaces rather than a helicopter. Hope that answers your questions and hope the acronym explanation style I used was to everyone's liking.

Couple of things to point out, Hind use in Ukraine is almost nil. When employed as attack helicopters, they don’t do anything near a full loadout so they could perform OGE if they had something to shoot past 2-3k but they don’t so really helos have only been used in SoF insertions, positional attack, but mainly transport/casvac emergency supply or reinforcement from 2 position. Hinds with SOF do missions but we won’t really hear full details about them till after the war. Drones generally provide a limited substitute.

The Ukraine war as for helo contribution is really almost non-existent. 2014-15 there was briefly some awesome sauce but the “guerillas” or Russian Spetz quickly deployed igla teams that killed about a dozen hinds in a month. After that helos basically became a 6’ off the ground battle taxi. Few exceptions here, speaking generally.the few Hinds not used for that-generally, no reason to risk it. They are generally an emergency reaction force thing now.

Sucks, they need gunships. They need better helos. They don’t have any. 85% percent of offensive stuff  is mi-8 mi-17 grad attacks for morale. Not sure how many serviceable hinds with late 80’s or upgraded avionics are around but is not many. They clodged some touchpad tablet stuff on them, added nv but at the end of the day flying one for it’s intended role is risky as hell.

I’d love to see some Cayuse mh60 blackhawks or god forbid we give them super cobras or apaches but if we won’t give ATACMS and till now all I hear about is rumors of guys trained but white house being risk averse. Bradley’s, Lavs etc would also be huge step up.  

Mainly it’s a “watch how stupid Russia is with helos” and being a Russian helo pilot = certain death lesson. Chernobaika airbase perfect example. 30 or so helos destroyed or damaged on the tarmac is what I heard in 3 major Russian brain fart events. Aside from their horrible tank employment, I can’t think of a worse example of how not deploy rotary assets. I give the pilots credit on both sides for bravery. Ukrainian helo pilots have balls of steel and flying full tilt at 4’-6’ off the ground is something I doubt we practice ( maybe soar) but it’s how they stay under sams/radar. Hearing about the Mauripol insertions extractions makes my balls shrivel. Like flying into Hanoi at night in 1970 blindfolded with 40 thousand trigger happy Russians shooting at you with everything from 5.45 to 57mm.

Excuse my typos not drunk just one handing from a phone.

Interesting to see a helo SME in Xperia take on it. Would you prioritize the donation of rotary over what we are doing now. Drones, PGMs, ISR help?

Can’t help but think a few apaches moping up the river crossings would have been worth the risk. Idk?
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Russians react to losing Ukrainian territories.

The last guy at the end tells the truth.

Russians react to losing Kherson

Link Posted: 11/13/2022 10:58:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Jack67:

That’s all well and good in a general audience. I detest inside use of terms-of-art, even in my own fields of specialty.  BUT:  this thread has, for a long time, dealt with many wide and varied, highly technical aspects of policy, weapons, strategy, etc.  The use of acronyms has never been a serious impediment and the tedious spelling out of them would really be equally distracting to a number of others.  Everyone will find a moment they don’t recognize something - and just get used to doing a bit of homework here and there.

If there were a quick and easy way to look up acronyms, like say the internet, handy, you could completely work around this. ;) Google is your friend when you need a quick reference.  If there’s information I want, on a subject I’m not immediately familiar, I don’t mind doing the homework instead of asking others to do it for me.
View All Quotes

That’s all well and good in a general audience. I detest inside use of terms-of-art, even in my own fields of specialty.  BUT:  this thread has, for a long time, dealt with many wide and varied, highly technical aspects of policy, weapons, strategy, etc.  The use of acronyms has never been a serious impediment and the tedious spelling out of them would really be equally distracting to a number of others.  Everyone will find a moment they don’t recognize something - and just get used to doing a bit of homework here and there.

If there were a quick and easy way to look up acronyms, like say the internet, handy, you could completely work around this. ;) Google is your friend when you need a quick reference.  If there’s information I want, on a subject I’m not immediately familiar, I don’t mind doing the homework instead of asking others to do it for me.

Yeah google is what I used to tell new employees
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 11:05:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By thehun06:

Russia doesn't have the competence to fight ... only intimidation and suppression of people within their borders ... Russian government sucks ...
View Quote

Ridiculous that the conscripts have the sense to KNOW they are f**ked, yet the "Command" still plays pretend....

CMOS
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 11:15:29 AM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

In my time in the Hungarian army, I would say I fired maybe a total of 30 rounds.
That's it.

In my time with Big army, I would say I fired ten times more.

I am not surprised if a mobik fires maybe 5 rounds and thats it.

They are fodders and nothing else just like the Hungarian army was fodders reading the 1979 Warsaw Pact plans 7 days to the Rhein.
The USSRs plan was to nuke the shit out of Germany and Austria and the Hungarian army marches in.

What an evil fucked up sadistic people.

Fuck them all....fuck them them to hell and they never come back.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 11:31:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Individualist:
Russians react to losing Ukrainian territories.

The last guy at the end tells the truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn-jBFbFfGA
View Quote

Sad state...

Zero freedom of speech. Most people there have at least some idea of what's up.

Now do the same video in the US and ask randoms about transgender, etc. Most people won't comment what they really think. The mob will fuck your life but at least the state can't throw you in prison for speaking your mind. Yet.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 11:35:01 AM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Doctor Zhivago - Scene on Road
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 11:50:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Acronyms even across branches get used multiple times meaning totally diffrent things.  From Signal to Logistics to Aviation I'd run across an acronym and say; "That can't mean what I think it means".  

Example: ASB

Aviation Support Battalion

Area Support Battalion

This results in questions like.  "Why do these folks feel entitled to our fuel?"

Google is nice to use.  Often times even specialist don't know what the acronym actually means.  They know how to use it in a sentence or request it.  

We need a flux capacitor.  Sure, I'll order it.

Link Posted: 11/13/2022 11:51:42 AM EDT
[#25]

Most likely a case of Russian mechanical spontaneous self-disassembly.  The diesels in these things, Kolomna units are notoriously unreliable.  They are CODAG and the turbines are complete wild cards, too. They had to reverse engineer the turbines for this class because their supplier was Ukrainian and they couldn’t get them since 2014 (these are newer ships).  The Russian navy has been so screwed since 2014 because Putin went to war with one of their main military hardware suppliers - brilliant. So these corvettes are powered by known bad diesels coupled to crappy copies of (otherwise good) Ukrainian engines.  At least the combining gear usually works, they say… ;)
View Quote

That's MSSD to us SMEs in the field of getting in trouble for breaking things.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 11:54:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By TheLurker:

Acronyms can be a pain, but I find Google is pretty good for explaining what they mean if I really need to know, and can't work it out from the context of the discussion.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheLurker:
Originally Posted By TheHunstman:
Originally Posted By K0UA:

People that use specific acronyms have no desire to communicate to a wider audience. They only want to communicate to those in the narrow group that know and understand the acronyms.  So don't worry, he had no interest in communicating with us. Move along, nothing to see here.

Or it could be that in a thread about an ongoing war and discussing topics like military strategy the person using the acronym might expect just a basic level of common knowledge. I see now that was a mistake. I'll make sure to break it down Barney style for you in the future.

Lighten up Francis. A lot of non-military members ask every now and then to explain the acronyms being tossed about. He could have asked nicer but come on, this isn't a .mil subforum.

Acronyms can be a pain, but I find Google is pretty good for explaining what they mean if I really need to know, and can't work it out from the context of the discussion.
Why would you want people to do research and actually try and figure out what the acronyms mean?  Because reading is for fa***ts!!!  They would just rather whine that they don't understand than put in the effort to maybe learn something that might come in handy in a discussion about war.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 11:56:16 AM EDT
[#27]
I noticed something weird in this video of the destroyed Antonovsky bridge - it seems like the river is so shallow, it didn’t even cover the downed bridge spans.
Loos like they are around 6-10 feet thick at most, that means that the river, at least where this spans fell, can be pretty much waded on foot. Maybe crossing it will not be that difficult?
How deep is the river there?

https://mobile.twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1591516370067460096?t=a2kOi0T_zVhmdTISByyLHQ&s=19
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 11:56:33 AM EDT
[#28]

.... It's a neat system once you know how to use it all.
View Quote

Training, training, and more training.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 12:00:21 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

Thank you for taking the time for your postings. I am sitting here soaking everything up like a sponge for 3000+ pages. That goes for all contributors!
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 12:01:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Another good video for Sunday morning listening

The War in Ukraine According to Russia: A Deconstruction of Putin’s Propaganda Narrative

Link Posted: 11/13/2022 12:06:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Prime:

Outstanding.

View All Quotes

Outstanding.

Indeed.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 12:13:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Fltot:
I noticed something weird in this video of the destroyed Antonovsky bridge - it seems like the river is so shallow, it didn’t even cover the downed bridge spans.
Loos like they are around 6-10 feet thick at most, that means that the river, at least where this spans fell, can be pretty much waded on foot. Maybe crossing it will not be that difficult?
How deep is the river there?
View Quote

It's not about getting people across - it's about getting heavy equipment, ammunition, and truckloads of material across. It's wide enough and deep and muddy enough on the bottom you don't go trying to drive across it in trucks, APCs/IFVs and tanks.

If it's relatively shallow enough the Ukes might be able to create an artificial ford with thousands of tons of gravel and fill earth, across which heavy equipment *could* be driven - but that still leaves such crossings subject to artillery, aviation and drone bombardment.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 12:14:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By lokifox:

Sad state...

Zero freedom of speech. Most people there have at least some idea of what's up.

Now do the same video in the US and ask randoms about transgender, etc. Most people won't comment what they really think. The mob will fuck your life but at least the state can't throw you in prison for speaking your mind. Yet.
View Quote

That last guy had some courage to say what he said on camera over there.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 12:18:15 PM EDT
[#34]

New Perun analisis

View Quote

That is really worth the time to listen to. It explains so much. Thank you very much for posting that.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 12:24:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Julian_JJE:
Acronyms even across branches get used multiple times meaning totally diffrent things.  From Signal to Logistics to Aviation I'd run across an acronym and say; "That can't mean what I think it means".  

Example: ASB

Aviation Support Battalion

Area Support Battalion

This results in questions like.  "Why do these folks feel entitled to our fuel?"

Google is nice to use.  Often times even specialist don't know what the acronym actually means.  They know how to use it in a sentence or request it.  

We need a flux capacitor.  Sure, I'll order it.

View Quote

I was doing some work with PEO Carriers (to throw in an acronym) and working with a guy whose entire job was dealing with ABCD and I eventually asked what ABCD stood for and he (again) described what it meant. I said, "Yeah, I understand that, but what do the letters ABCD stand for?" and he paused, and thought for a couple of seconds then said, "I don't know. I used to. Wow, I should know that. Let's look it up."
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 12:24:43 PM EDT
[#37]

Unless Russia can really change things, they're on pace to lose 100K by New Years.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 12:29:38 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote
Ukrainian dog assistance/rescue youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT_RvtuTFaLdEsdN4MpGpvw/community

Link Posted: 11/13/2022 12:32:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By K0UA:
That is really worth the time to listen to. It explains so much. Thank you very much for posting that.
View Quote

v'ranyo explains so much
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 12:35:36 PM EDT
[#40]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FhbnM9pX0AA979Z?format=png&name=900x900
View Quote

And that guy is angling to be a major power player should anything happen to Putin. Russian leadership could in fact be worse than it is now.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 12:44:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By medic9:
Or they are being conservative with casualty count ?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Eat_Beef:
I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but...

I remember back in the Kharkiv offensive, thinking, man, the Ukes are really putting it to them, they must be killing thousands.  But the official numbers never got that high, maybe the 6-700 range.  I had the same thought on this Kherson run.  We're hearing that it's a total rout, there are 20k RF soldiers with no chance of escape, they're getting slaughtered by arty.  Then the numbers come in and it's 7-800 a day.

I'm sorry, but it's a colossal failure that they let that many enemy soldiers escape across a river without cutting them a whole lot deeper than they did.

Either there is a whole lot of wishful thinking going on with the major twitter guys referenced in this thread, or UA is barely muddling through.  This is twice now that everyone is declaring a rout, and the official numbers are up 2-% from an average day.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they're advancing, but this just doesn't add up.  Either there were a lot less RF forces on the right bank than we were told, or UA did a poor job of roughing them up on their way out.  Those guys are going to be a LOT harder to deal with on the left bank than they were on the right.

Maybe I'm weird but losing 800 folks a day seem pretty devastating to me.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 12:53:11 PM EDT
[#42]

New Perun analisis

View Quote

Sergeant Bulshetski
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 12:56:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Russian military hardware left behind in Kherson

Ukrainian troops seize Russia's military hardware left behind in Kherson
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 12:58:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 12:58:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By ludder093:
fuck. Can not condone that.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ludder093:
fuck. Can not condone that.

That's a rough one.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 1:19:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dillydilly] [#46]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FhcZZXGXkAw2MSE?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

Twitter tards are up in arms saying Ukraine did this. Soon, not to be outdone by GD, I’m sure of it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 1:27:24 PM EDT
[#47]
combat vids, yes

suffering animal vids, no

Link Posted: 11/13/2022 1:37:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By gentlemanfarmer:

I’d love to see some Cayuse mh60 blackhawks or god forbid we give them super cobras or apaches...  

View All Quotes

I’d love to see some Cayuse mh60 blackhawks or god forbid we give them super cobras or apaches...  

Can't speak for the other airframes but I am not in favor of giving the Ukrainians the Apache for a few reasons. First and foremost we still don't have enough of them at the current moment for future force restructuring initiatives. Even if that wasn't the case I'm not comfortable with the amount of Hellfires on hand right now and we haven't switched over to JAGM so they'd really just be expensive (albeit more accurate) rocket trucks. Second, it introduces a whole new logistics and weapons logistics trail. You can't just take a Russian rocket pod or missile and bolt it on. The Apache's ballistic computation software and interfaces don't have the ability to take anything it wasn't designed for. Third the Apache is a very, VERY (can't overemphasize this) maintenance intensive airframe. Honestly without the preexisting maintenance structure built up for it I think it would be more of a pain in the ass for the Ukrainians than an asset. After the war when they have the time to get those programs in place? By all means sell them Apaches. Finally, I'm not sure how long the Aircraft Qualification Course(AQC) is for the Apache but the flight school for just the Apache (not including the basic qualification of learning how to fly helicopters in general) is close to a year. AQC is typically for taking pilots who are already experienced in western style aircraft. I'm not sure that it totally translates to guys that have been flying MI-XX models so I can only assume that training pipeline is going to present an issue. The Apache is a complicated machine and it takes a long time to get good with all the systems individually and even longer to correlate all those systems together and really utilize it to the fullest extent. Learning to fly using thermal is probably the biggest hurdle and it absolutely needs to be mastered to implement the airframe properly. Making shake and bake Apache pilots is really just throwing your investment away.

Ukrainian helo pilots have balls of steel and flying full tilt at 4’-6’ off the ground is something I doubt we practice ( maybe soar) but it’s how they stay under sams/radar.

I train my guys to fly at that altitude and I know that SOAR trains it as well but I can't speak for the conventional Blackhawk/Chinook community.

Interesting to see a helo SME in Xperia take on it. Would you prioritize the donation of rotary over what we are doing now. Drones, PGMs, ISR help?

Prioritize drones. They're easier to train, less logistic intensive, and there's less of an issue if their spare parts supply gets turned off based on political whims. Using the drones as an ISR platform is going to get the Ukrainians way more bang for their buck over a few more rotary assets.

Can’t help but think a few apaches moping up the river crossings would have been worth the risk. Idk?

If I was in charge and my intelligence assets had high confidence that the short range air defenses had been taken out of play or at least identified I would have had no problem sending Apaches in. Not a whole lot I can elaborate on this because I'm not going to just blast our current tactics out on an open forum.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 1:39:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By dillydilly:

Twitter tards are up in arms saying Ukraine did this. Soon, not to be outdone by GD, I’m sure of it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dillydilly:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FhcZZXGXkAw2MSE?format=jpg&name=large

When attached to professional units the mobiks “…behave just like a Russian peasant defending his homeland should behave

Boy doesn’t sum up how they look at their soldiers vs Ukraine, who are greeted by every living Ukrainian, frequently multiple times, with “glory to the heros”!  

That’s a huge difference that wins wars.
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 1:39:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Swampgrass:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Swampgrass:
Originally Posted By Eat_Beef:
I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but...

I remember back in the Kharkiv offensive, thinking, man, the Ukes are really putting it to them, they must be killing thousands.  But the official numbers never got that high, maybe the 6-700 range.  I had the same thought on this Kherson run.  We're hearing that it's a total rout, there are 20k RF soldiers with no chance of escape, they're getting slaughtered by arty.  Then the numbers come in and it's 7-800 a day.

I'm sorry, but it's a colossal failure that they let that many enemy soldiers escape across a river without cutting them a whole lot deeper than they did.

Either there is a whole lot of wishful thinking going on with the major twitter guys referenced in this thread, or UA is barely muddling through.  This is twice now that everyone is declaring a rout, and the official numbers are up 2-% from an average day.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they're advancing, but this just doesn't add up.  Either there were a lot less RF forces on the right bank than we were told, or UA did a poor job of roughing them up on their way out.  Those guys are going to be a LOT harder to deal with on the left bank than they were on the right.

What we don’t know:

How many Russians were wounded, captured or just plain fucked off.

It’s very possible ~5,000 escaped out of the 20,000.  How many are in fighting condition? It’s very possible 4-5k are dead.  It’s very possible that 5k got captured / fucked off into the country side.  And it’s very possible 5k are wounded. And were left to be found whenever.

Again, just tossing ideas out.  I don’t think it’s unrealistic that Russia got 1/2 their forces out. The rest are dead / wounded / captured / fucked off.
Page / 5589
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 3006 of 5589)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top