Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2072 of 5590)
Page / 5590
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 6/6/2022 9:25:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: absael] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
"Ukrainian journalist Yuri Butusov additionally reported on June 5 that claims of Ukrainian counterattacks were untrue and that Ukrainian forces only hold the Azot plant and surrounding neighborhoods.[11] The reason for the conflicting reports on June 5 is unclear and ISW cannot independently confirm if Ukrainian forces did indeed retake large parts of Severodonetsk at the time of Haidai's statement and subsequently lost the terrain by June 6, or if Ukrainian forces did not make these counterattacks at all. "

Well, crap... the best news we've heard in at least a week may have been way overblown?  That's depressing.  Things haven't been looking so rosy for the good guys lately.  

I'm hoping that the influx of new equipment will start to make a big impact soon.  But I was thinking the same thing over a week ago.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 9:33:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:
I get that vibe.

This war is fucking with my armored vehicle plans.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:
I get that vibe.

This war is fucking with my armored vehicle plans.

Trust me, I know

Originally Posted By realwar:
Russian Superyacht Now Flies US Flag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF06XTn2W-g

Someone will get triggered by that.

Good.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 9:34:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 9:35:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#4]
Originally Posted By absael:
"Ukrainian journalist Yuri Butusov additionally reported on June 5 that claims of Ukrainian counterattacks were untrue and that Ukrainian forces only hold the Azot plant and surrounding neighborhoods.[11] The reason for the conflicting reports on June 5 is unclear and ISW cannot independently confirm if Ukrainian forces did indeed retake large parts of Severodonetsk at the time of Haidai's statement and subsequently lost the terrain by June 6, or if Ukrainian forces did not make these counterattacks at all. "

Well, crap... the best news we've heard in at least a week may have been way overblown?  That's depressing.  Things haven't been looking so rosy for the good guys lately.  

I'm hoping that the influx of new equipment will start to make a big impact soon.  But I was thinking the same thing over a week ago.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By absael:

Right now, this is a slugfest, and with the two factions fighting in a large city there's going to be some confusion.   This is going to go on for days yet, but there's no Russian breakthroughs, there's very little Russian advances, and a lot of Russian attacks have been repelled.  Ukraine just needs to hold until more of the weapons make it to the front.

What interested me in the report was the mention of Ukrainian naval operations, which are rare.  Perhaps the unmanned US coastal vessels are now in play.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 10:11:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By elcope:

You know why they're doing it, right? (foreign disinfo ops)

Because it works and has for decades. From the anti nuke energy disinfo of the 70's is why we don't have nuclear power here, and even back to the Holodomor, further to now. it works.

And it's a cheap investment. Just leak whatever bullshit to your favorite "journalist" and boom. Piss Dossier'.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/6/2022 10:21:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Dracster:

Is it though? It looks kinda trainingish. The UA dudes look pretty oblivious and the RU dudes act a little too textbook.
View Quote

It did look very "ideal" from the ambushers' perspective. But, you can see bullets impacting, especially as the UA guy is rolling and firing. He is shooting live rounds.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 10:54:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 10:55:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack67] [#8]
Maybe on the heels of the Italian "Palace of Shit" pronouncement (!), maybe it's time for some war humor.

1) I heard that Putin has new nicknames for Gerasimov and Shoigu.  He calls them "Thoughts" and "Prayers."  Because both are fuckin' useless.

2) To counter the effective Ukrinform war loss information that the international community gravitates towards, Rus(dis)Info has rushed to come up with a new "scoreboard" for Russian citizens to follow:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 11:01:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

Trust me, I know

Someone will get triggered by that.

Good.
View Quote

2S1, 122 self propelled howitzer. I loved that thing with a passion. Best thing in former USSR arsenal.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 11:58:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

Holy shit!

View Quote

Wow, I missed that. Dude ragequit.

There’s a translation that makes more sense than the one in the video-

“I’ll not play the fig leaf to the two balls beside you”

Link Posted: 6/7/2022 12:10:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Pretty decent new footage.

https://t.me/Pravda_Gerashchenko/23827
The story of a Ukrainian who abandoned a quiet life in Italy in order to protect his homeland

Details: "I will do everything to ensure that the war does not go further, I am trying to stop it here, at this turn. There are people who love me and whom I love. I am ready to go to the end for them," says the fighter with the call sign "Witcher" from 93rd Specialized Brigade "Cold Yar”
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 12:17:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 12:43:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By RunnngCircles:

2S1, 122 self propelled howitzer. I loved that thing with a passion. Best thing in former USSR arsenal.
View Quote

I disagree.

Link Posted: 6/7/2022 12:45:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Capta:

Ukraine isn’t totally mobilized yet.  They started with 200K troops and are on their way to 700K-1M.  How many they actually have right now is anyone’s guess, but it probably isn’t 700k for another few months.
This has been discussed at length, but for Russia, declaring a full mobilization carries some severe costs.
It would put the lie to three months of “special operation” propaganda.
The economy, already on the ropes, would collapse quickly.
Moscow and St. Petersburg kids would start dying instead of poor rural expendable kids, leading to inconvenient public questions.
It will be increasingly obvious that Putin’s ruling elite have robbed the country blind and Russian kids are dying because of it.
Russia would have the choice of either properly training their fresh troops, causing a delay of many months, or sending them straight into the meat-grinder.  I think its likely they send them into the meat grinder.
Russia cannot equip them with anything besides AKs (maybe even SKSs) and obsolete heavy equipment which is vulnerable to nearly everything.  Casualty rates would be horrific against an entrenched and by that time hardened Ukrainian army.
Russia cannot supply a mass army outside its own borders.  OK, send two million men south.  They’ll be eating grass in two weeks.
Against this, the west (specifically the US) still has no shortage of modern, first line gear to send.  Russia sending 2,000 T-55s against you?  OK, here’s another 200 MLRS.  Problem solved.  We’re barely scratching the surface on obsolescent tanks/APCs (i.e. M-60, M113) and we haven’t even begun to send fighters.
Given the western will to continue to supply arty ammo and MLRS, I question whether even an all-out zerg rush could take the country.  Ukraine would continue to fight, they have no choice.
IMO a full Russian mobilization is FAR more likely to lead to a 1917-style collapse than a costly victory.
View Quote

Ok, that's fair. But also, russia is able to produce lots and lots and lots of grain. So there isn't going to be any mass starvation unless they can't figure out how to distribute it. And also, russians are proud of their toughness. Proud of their ability to endure in spite of hardship. If russia announces full mobilization and starts sending most of the rural kids and a bunch of the urban kids into the meat grinder I am not remotely convinced average russian citizens will feel angry about this. Russians will persist, for their proud country.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 12:58:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBill375] [#15]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

Ok, that's fair. But also, russia is able to produce lots and lots and lots of grain. So there isn't going to be any mass starvation unless they can't figure out how to distribute it. And also, russians are proud of their toughness. Proud of their ability to endure in spite of hardship. If russia announces full mobilization and starts sending most of the rural kids and a bunch of the urban kids into the meat grinder I am not remotely convinced average russian citizens will feel angry about this. Russians will persist, for their proud country.
View Quote

Huh... They are already angry.

Do you know many Russians? I see many of the ones I know chanting "No war"

The brain drain is real.... most of Russia's brightest have already left the country.

Go say that to these Russian mothers that had their kids come here to fertilize our soil for no fucking reason. There is nothing to be proud of in this case.

This war is fucking stupid. Caused by a deranged lunatic sitting in a bunker. Hitler reborn. He can't die soon enough.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 1:05:01 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

Well so be it. They can only resist so long. As there is a God, there will be holy retribution for all of their sins against humanity for the last 100 years. I firmly believe that Russia opened Pandora’s box on this one. They will pay for all the hurt and pain they’ve caused on the fields, forests, and cities of Ukraine… with their cursed blood.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 1:28:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Capta] [#17]

View Quote

I don’t have any illusions that Russian *society* would revolt.  They have a long history of buying any level of bullshit they’re served and a stunning capability to believe in mutually exclusive positions.  And at home, Putin and his ilk will still have the ability to control nearly 100% of what Russians believe.
Russia does grow a lot of wheat, but growing wheat as a commodity and supplying a mass army in the field are not the same things.
In the Army itself things may be different.  They have far more opportunity to see the lies, insanity, and waste firsthand.  Officers shooting their own men, a country that cannot supply even the basics in many cases, of primitive or no medical care for their wounded.  All the things that people back home would never belief because “Russia Strong,” the soldiers know is true.  Professional military men know they are in a dire situation, not the fantasy land that Solovyov panders to his audience on a daily basis.
Will any of that matter?  Maybe not, but Russia is on the verge of catastrophe and all the misguided optimism and toughness in the world isn’t going to help them.
The Russian situation is actually shockingly analogous to Japan in 1941-1945.  They started a war against forces they could not possibly prevail against, for absolute bullshit racist/ethno-nationalist “reasons” which were stunningly ill-considered.  Look up “the glorious death of 100 million” and tell me you don’t hear echoes in Russian jingoist lunacy.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 1:40:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Capta] [#18]
FPV BTR kill:

?????? ???????? ???-2 ?????????
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 1:40:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spydercomonkey] [#19]
Originally Posted By WildBill375:

They've been full of empty promises.

This war has showed who our real allies are and Germany isn't one of them.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WildBill375:

They've been full of empty promises.

This war has showed who our real allies are and Germany isn't one of them.

The war has been illuminating, but the Trump years really showed who was an ally and who wasn't. Germany was ready to dump the US, while the UK and Japan were tighter with us than ever.

Two great articles from the Trump years that presage this current era of Germany sucking; I have quoted some juicy excerpts but both articles are best read in full.

Trump, Biden and the ‘fucking Germans’
Close US engagement with Berlin will be questioned whoever wins the presidential election.

https://www.politico.eu/article/donald-trump-joe-biden-angela-merkel-us-germany-transatlantic-relationship/

McCain turned to another of his passions: Europe. The senator had just returned from a swing through the Balkans (spending time in one of Tito’s hunting lodges, among other places) and he was worried that neither Washington nor the Europeans were paying enough attention to the security situation there and the broader region, especially regarding the threat posed by Russia. What about the Germans, I asked, knowing how frustrated McCain had been with Berlin’s stance on Russia over the years. (In 2015, McCain, enraged over Berlin’s refusal to help arm Ukraine, said Angela Merkel’s course reminded him of “the policies of the 1930s,” a reference to the U.K.’s ill-fated appeasement strategy towards Hitler).

McCain, who never abandoned the vernacular of his fighter-pilot days, cracked a mischievous smile.

“The fucking Germans,” he laughed. “What is there to say?”

Since McCain’s death in 2018, Germany has refused to back the U.S. on just about every major foreign policy front, whether concerning China, Russia, Iran, Israel or the broader Middle East.

Meanwhile, Berlin continues to fall short of NATO defense spending targets and the defense ministry’s procurement practices — in recent days it had to scrap plans to order a new standard-issue assault rifle over a patent dispute — remain a comedy of errors.

(much more in a very good article; politco.eu is super dank)

The End of the German-American Affair
Once firm friends and allies, the two old partners are drifting apart—and that’s not just down to Trump.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/09/24/germany-united-states-trump-merkel-228168/

At both the official and unofficial level, the foundation that has supported the transatlantic alliance since the 1950s is crumbling. About 85 percent of Germans consider their country’s relationship with the U.S. to be “bad” or “very bad,” according to a recent study, while a clear majority want Germany to distance itself from the U.S.

The fraying of ties — which began long before Trump came to power but has accelerated since — carries implications that stretch far beyond the two countries’ bilateral relationship. With China seeking to expand its influence in Europe, and Russia eager to exploit the transatlantic rift, the disintegration of German-American unity would have profound implications for the future of NATO and the broader global order.

When it comes to relations between nations, most Americans continue to have a positive view of Germany — in contrast to Germans' opinion of the U.S.

In truth, the U.S.-German alliance has never been a partnership of equals. Tension has been part of the mix throughout the post-war era to varying degrees. If Konrad Adenauer and John F. Kennedy shared a mutual dislike, Helmut Schmidt and Jimmy Carter absolutely despised one another.

From the 1960s until the end of the Cold War, Germans took to the streets in droves to voice their opposition to both the U.S. war in Vietnam and the arms race with the Soviets.

As the U.S. troops have gradually withdrawn, the residual gratitude many Germans felt over their presence has also evaporated.

“My father was a big fan of the U.S. and its democracy,” a new acquaintance told me recently, making it clear that he didn’t share his father’s perspective.

The German distrust began to take hold in the aftermath of 9/11. Though Germany joined the U.S.-led coalition in Afghanistan against the Taliban, Berlin refused to participate in the Iraq War, arguing there wasn’t enough evidence to support claims that Saddam Hussein had stockpiles of weapons of mass destruction.

While Germany’s decision under then-Chancellor Gerhard Schröder proved to be prescient, it also left a wound that has never fully healed. In recent years, Germany’s view of the U.S. has been framed by Guantanamo, NSA spying and Trump’s attacks.

Those issues made it easier for Germans to ignore persistent U.S. demands that Berlin reduce its massive export surplus, which most economists agree exacerbate global imbalances, or that it meet the NATO defense spending target. The last two U.S. administrations also pressured Merkel's government to spend more on security, albeit with little success. Trump, on the other hand, appears to have gotten the Germans' attention.

Even though the U.S. remains the guarantor of German security, for many Germans, both in and out of government, America is just another partner, not a true friend.

Americans who believe most Germans feel they still owe the U.S. any gratitude for rehabilitating the country after World War II and for paving the way for reunification are kidding themselves. Even the country’s elites view America as a “frenemy” at best. The recent social upheaval in the U.S. has convinced even many educated Germans that the country they once looked up to is anything but a model, especially when it comes to democratic norms.

“It is a deeply unjust, and in some ways undemocratic, system,” concluded Michael Butter, a German professor of American literature, during a recent debate with me about the U.S. campaign on German radio.

Germany’s media landscape has become an echo chamber for the idea that America is a deeply flawed, racist, semi-democratic state of gun-toting religious fanatics.

“Our friendship with America has never really been heartfelt,” a prominent, pro-American member of Merkel’s Christian Democrats confided to me recently over beers.

Link Posted: 6/7/2022 1:45:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 1:50:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By sq40:
Who would have thought Vortex would become the official optics company of WWIII.
View Quote

Or Makita the favored choice of tools among Russian support units?
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 1:50:56 AM EDT
[#22]

Does anybody know if wagner group is actual mercenary or merely a particular russian unit with a designation that allows them to do stuff that regular russian army can't? Are they mercs or russian soldiers?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 2tired2run:

More Mongolian looking that slav.

Does anybody know if wagner group is actual mercenary or merely a particular russian unit with a designation that allows them to do stuff that regular russian army can't? Are they mercs or russian soldiers?

They seem to be most akin to the French Foreign Legion, a sort of quasi deniable, quasi disposable armed force that works exclusively for the State in unsavory parts of the world.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 2:01:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

The war has been illuminating, but the Trump years really showed who was an ally and who wasn't. Germany was ready to dump the US, while the UK and Japan were tighter with us than ever.

Two great articles from the Trump years that presage this current era of Germany sucking; I have quoted some juicy excerpts but both articles are best read in full.

Close US engagement with Berlin will be questioned whoever wins the presidential election.

https://www.politico.eu/article/donald-trump-joe-biden-angela-merkel-us-germany-transatlantic-relationship/

McCain turned to another of his passions: Europe. The senator had just returned from a swing through the Balkans (spending time in one of Tito’s hunting lodges, among other places) and he was worried that neither Washington nor the Europeans were paying enough attention to the security situation there and the broader region, especially regarding the threat posed by Russia. What about the Germans, I asked, knowing how frustrated McCain had been with Berlin’s stance on Russia over the years. (In 2015, McCain, enraged over Berlin’s refusal to help arm Ukraine, said Angela Merkel’s course reminded him of “the policies of the 1930s,” a reference to the U.K.’s ill-fated appeasement strategy towards Hitler).

McCain, who never abandoned the vernacular of his fighter-pilot days, cracked a mischievous smile.

Since McCain’s death in 2018, Germany has refused to back the U.S. on just about every major foreign policy front, whether concerning China, Russia, Iran, Israel or the broader Middle East.

Meanwhile, Berlin continues to fall short of NATO defense spending targets and the defense ministry’s procurement practices — in recent days it had to scrap plans to order a new standard-issue assault rifle over a patent dispute — remain a comedy of errors.

Once firm friends and allies, the two old partners are drifting apart—and that’s not just down to Trump.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/09/24/germany-united-states-trump-merkel-228168/

At both the official and unofficial level, the foundation that has supported the transatlantic alliance since the 1950s is crumbling. About 85 percent of Germans consider their country’s relationship with the U.S. to be “bad” or “very bad,” according to a recent study, while a clear majority want Germany to distance itself from the U.S.

The fraying of ties — which began long before Trump came to power but has accelerated since — carries implications that stretch far beyond the two countries’ bilateral relationship. With China seeking to expand its influence in Europe, and Russia eager to exploit the transatlantic rift, the disintegration of German-American unity would have profound implications for the future of NATO and the broader global order.

When it comes to relations between nations, most Americans continue to have a positive view of Germany — in contrast to Germans' opinion of the U.S.

In truth, the U.S.-German alliance has never been a partnership of equals. Tension has been part of the mix throughout the post-war era to varying degrees. If Konrad Adenauer and John F. Kennedy shared a mutual dislike, Helmut Schmidt and Jimmy Carter absolutely despised one another.

From the 1960s until the end of the Cold War, Germans took to the streets in droves to voice their opposition to both the U.S. war in Vietnam and the arms race with the Soviets.

As the U.S. troops have gradually withdrawn, the residual gratitude many Germans felt over their presence has also evaporated.

“My father was a big fan of the U.S. and its democracy,” a new acquaintance told me recently, making it clear that he didn’t share his father’s perspective.

The German distrust began to take hold in the aftermath of 9/11. Though Germany joined the U.S.-led coalition in Afghanistan against the Taliban, Berlin refused to participate in the Iraq War, arguing there wasn’t enough evidence to support claims that Saddam Hussein had stockpiles of weapons of mass destruction.

While Germany’s decision under then-Chancellor Gerhard Schröder proved to be prescient, it also left a wound that has never fully healed. In recent years, Germany’s view of the U.S. has been framed by Guantanamo, NSA spying and Trump’s attacks.

Those issues made it easier for Germans to ignore persistent U.S. demands that Berlin reduce its massive export surplus, which most economists agree exacerbate global imbalances, or that it meet the NATO defense spending target. The last two U.S. administrations also pressured Merkel's government to spend more on security, albeit with little success. Trump, on the other hand, appears to have gotten the Germans' attention.

Even though the U.S. remains the guarantor of German security, for many Germans, both in and out of government, America is just another partner, not a true friend.

Americans who believe most Germans feel they still owe the U.S. any gratitude for rehabilitating the country after World War II and for paving the way for reunification are kidding themselves. Even the country’s elites view America as a “frenemy” at best. The recent social upheaval in the U.S. has convinced even many educated Germans that the country they once looked up to is anything but a model, especially when it comes to democratic norms.

“It is a deeply unjust, and in some ways undemocratic, system,” concluded Michael Butter, a German professor of American literature, during a recent debate with me about the U.S. campaign on German radio.

Germany’s media landscape has become an echo chamber for the idea that America is a deeply flawed, racist, semi-democratic state of gun-toting religious fanatics.

“Our friendship with America has never really been heartfelt,” a prominent, pro-American member of Merkel’s Christian Democrats confided to me recently over beers.

View Quote

Most Americans aren't kidding themselves about Germany.

Most Americans don't think about Germany at all.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 2:03:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:
Nothing annoys me more than people who use Russian talking points but nothing pisses me off more than people using China’s talking points. I’m seeing more and more Americans online who are either pro Russia or isolationist quoting verbatim talking points I read in Russian, Iranian or China state news. With Moscow being bff with Beijing it appears the same you scratch my back I’ll scratch yours is now applying to Americans who bizarrely apply it to Taiwan and of all fucking places Myanmar {Burma} These 2 idiots below being a prime example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JDk8x0pIdU
View Quote

I'd be suspicious of any Americans working Myanmar into conversation
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 2:05:22 AM EDT
[#25]

They seem to be most akin to the French Foreign Legion, a sort of quasi deniable, quasi disposable armed force that works exclusively for the State in unsavory parts of the world.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 2tired2run:

More Mongolian looking that slav.

FFL isn’t deniable….they are part of France’s Army officially. When those Wagner mercs got shredded in Syria, Russia disavowed them.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 2:09:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:
View Quote

I think about their beer, and their women, from time to time. Rarely ever outside of that context.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 2:56:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Tiberius:

FFL isn’t deniable….they are part of France’s Army officially. When those Wagner mercs got shredded in Syria, Russia disavowed them.
View Quote

Correct. Wagner is a private army for the Kremlin without having to answer to the public.  Wagner is like Blackwater, BUT - if BW:

-Got access to about any weapon in the inventory short of missiles, nukes, and ships, and
-Deployed overseas as a coherent combat force, directly under the military command structure
-Were not subject to any US laws on the gov't using forces overseas

They are a way for Russia to skirt any domestic policies or laws on sending troops overseas so they don't have to answer to the public or the Duma.  it should also be noted Russia has strict laws against mercenaries and PMC's, so the mere existence of Wagner is a big "FU" to the rule of law and the Duma by the Kremlin.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 3:21:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Why African states are reluctant to pick sides on Ukraine
With the looming food crisis, leaders are desperately looking for practical solutions — not a blame game.
https://www.politico.eu/article/africa-reluctant-to-pick-sides-on-ukraine-russia-war-food-shortage-crises/

This week, European leaders urged African and Middle Eastern countries not to buy into Kremlin propaganda blaming the West for worsening a global food crisis — one which the African Union has warned risks “a catastrophic scenario,” on a continent where an estimated 282 million people already aren’t getting enough to eat.  

Both the Kremlin’s blockade of Ukrainian ports and Western sanctions on Russia are contributing to a looming disaster in Africa, which is heavily dependent on Ukrainian and Russian grain. African leaders are desperate for the blame game to be set aside and for practical solutions to be raised.

Currently, nearly 50 countries depend on Russia and Ukraine for at least 30 percent of their wheat import and, according to the U.N.’s Food and Agriculture Organization, 36 of them source over 50 percent of their wheat from the two countries.

Africans “do not want to be aligned on this conflict, very clearly, we want peace. Even though we condemn the invasion, we’re working for a de-escalation, we’re working for a ceasefire, for dialogue … that is the African position.”  

Reviving its ties with African nations over the past few years, the Kremlin has been strengthening economic and military cooperation — especially with nations that once enjoyed close relations with the Soviet Union, which had backed socialist movements and national liberation struggles across Africa.  

For many African leaders, the food crisis is emblematic of how Western powers treat the continent — paying attention to it when they want or need something, neglecting it when they don’t, and expecting it to see the world through Europe’s eyes.  

While the breach of global norms by Russia has indeed shocked many in Africa, they’re worried about their own immediate needs and interests — from famine to wars and strife. Diplomats from Africa and the Middle East complain their European counterparts at the U.N. and elsewhere keep turning discussions back to Ukraine, preoccupied as they are with events unfolding in Europe.  

“What they don’t seem to appreciate is that to our ears they seem to be saying European lives are more important than African lives,” an African envoy in Brussels told me. He added: “Both Scholz and [Italy’s Mario] Draghi are coming to us to seek ways to diversify where they get their energy from — well, we need help with food.”  

And as Western powers pledge money to support Ukraine, foreign aid has become harder to secure for Africa, where a full-blown food crisis could leave a higher death toll than Ukraine in its wake.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 3:24:01 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

At the end of the Cold War, the Germans and Dutch combined had over 3k Leopard 2 tanks. They proceeded to sell off the majority and now Germany might have 10% of that inventory left and the Dutch may as well be a German protectorate.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:08:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Getting back to being serious ....

I'm recalling my days at Fort Hoodlum.

There was One Day while Training in The Field.....

The Company I was in had just moved into an area to bivouac.  My teammate and I spent 30 minutes putting up the Camouflage netting over our Jeep & trailer.  No sooner did we finish than we were told to tear it down; the Company was moving again.  We go to the next location and up goes the Cammie once more.  This time we stayed for more than a few hours,
Even after I got my Wings, the Jeep I was in carried Cammie netting.  We stop for more than a few minutes and up goes the netting. Every Time

Watching The War I don't see anyone using Cammie Nets anywhere.  I can understand no nets while moving, but staying still for more than a few minutes.....  I don't get it.
View Quote

Several years ago, our own Army removed all the camo nets from over 90% of the unit MTOEs since they "were not needed during GWOT".  I was dumbfounded, and that error persists to this day.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:37:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By TAP:

Several years ago, our own Army removed all the camo nets from over 90% of the unit MTOEs since they "were not needed during GWOT".  I was dumbfounded, and that error persists to this day.
View Quote

Yup.  And most COC were oblivious.  It certainly doesn't help that NTC is *the* peacetime pinnacle of training and nets are much less critical there.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:42:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Phocks:

Yup.  And most COC were oblivious.  It certainly doesn't help that NTC is *the* peacetime pinnacle of training and nets are much less critical there.
View All Quotes

Why would anyone do that, you still use nets in the GWOT for both concealment and shade.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:53:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:55:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FDC] [#34]

View All Quotes

Nets haven't gone anywhere.  They may not be on the MTOE, but units still have them, order them, and use them as they are somewhat important to survival.

*Source, I watched every US based AC IBCT train between 2017 and 2020.

Only a small part of the Army goes to NTC.  The remainder exists in the real world where we have trees and use nets.

You would be hard pressed to find a mech turd using nets even before GWOT.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:56:52 AM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Is the link F U?
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:59:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Mortar round fins sticking out of a parking lot in Mariupol.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 7:10:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Circuits:

I think about their beer, and their women, from time to time. Rarely ever outside of that context.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Circuits:
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:

Cars, beer, potato salad...
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 7:10:32 AM EDT
[#38]
War is Hell.

And don’t drink the water.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 7:12:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 7:13:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By zach_:

Is the link F U?
View Quote

Nope, you'll need Telegram to see it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 7:17:42 AM EDT
[#41]
There have been other reports of this, Russians just leaving their posts.  

https://www.pravda.com.ua/news/2022/06/7/7351023/
Russian troops are moving from the Zaporozhye region towards Kherson

Russian troops are likely to withdraw from Melitopol and part of the Vasylivka district of Zaporizhia region due to rotation.
Source:  head of the Zaporizhzhya Regional State Administration Oleksandr Starukh on the air of the telethon, ZOVA
Details: Oleksandr Starukh said that the occupiers were withdrawing troops from Melitopol and part of Vasyliv district. The head of ZOVA noted that such actions could be rotation.
The occupiers are moving in the direction of Kherson.
At the same time, the construction of lines of defense continues in the Zaporizhia region, which significantly helps the Armed Forces of Ukraine to repel the occupiers. Many fortifications were built on the outskirts of Zaporizhia.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 7:27:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

It did look very "ideal" from the ambushers' perspective. But, you can see bullets impacting, especially as the UA guy is rolling and firing. He is shooting live rounds.
View Quote

I'm pretty sure the video is real. You can see the bullets flying, you can see guys drop in awkward poses and not move. The Russians likely saw the approaching Ukrainian patrol from a drone and laid a hasty ambush. Just because it was well executed, does not imply that the video was staged.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 7:31:12 AM EDT
[#43]

“We are not fucked. We have no equipment. Nam p * zda »

These videos are from the phone of a Russian soldier who was shooting videos about the failures of his unit in the Kherson region.

A moment of truthful news of the Russian Federation

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 7:33:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Yobro512] [#44]
Originally Posted By Prime:
View Quote

Looks like a dog fight to me. Planes in a line swirling around???
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 7:33:24 AM EDT
[#45]
I just read that the Russians intend to have a sham trial for Aiden Aslin and other foreigners and intend to seek the death penalty for them.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 7:34:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By bigstick61:
I just read that the Russians intend to have a sham trial for Aiden Aslin and other foreigners and intend to seek the death penalty for them.
View Quote

Executing a UA marine might change the prisoner dynamic a bit. Dumbass fucking orcs.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 7:34:49 AM EDT
[#47]

Holy shit!

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Capta:
Mike drop.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/comments/v65m5v/yesterday_in_this_tv_show_the_host_massimo/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Holy shit!

Holy smoke.
What's his opinion of the current US admin?
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 7:39:07 AM EDT
[#48]
View All Quotes

https://ria.ru/20220605/naemnik-1793248419.html
DONETSK, June 5 - RIA Novosti. The Prosecutor General's Office of the Donetsk People's Republic announced the end of the investigation against the British mercenary Aiden Aslin.
The investigation established that he took part in the armed aggression of Ukraine to forcibly seize power in the republic for a reward. The criminal case was sent to court, the first hearing will be held soon.

"Taking into account wartime, based on the provisions of the current criminal law, as a result of the trial, the mercenary may be given an exceptional measure of punishment - the death penalty," the Prosecutor General's Office's Telegram channel says.

Aslin and another British mercenary, Sean Pinner, surrendered in Mariupol in mid-April. As Defense Ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov noted , foreign mercenaries do not have the status of combatants under international humanitarian law, so the best thing that awaits the British is a long prison term.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 8:15:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By burnka871:

Executing a UA marine might change the prisoner dynamic a bit. Dumbass fucking orcs.
View Quote

Russians aren’t necessarily protected by the laws of war either.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 8:20:38 AM EDT
[#50]
View Quote
Looks like they missed out on some training, that M777 isn't setup right.
Page / 5590
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 2072 of 5590)
Top Top