Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1995 of 5585)
Page / 5585
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:14:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:15:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FDC] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:

So it took them about a minute to fire reload fire, is that a decent time?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Prime:
Believable M777 footage

Max rate of fire per the TM is 4 rounds per minute for 2 minutes.  I've seen sections faster than that.

The 777 has a relatively complex crew drill.

The Ukrainians are being slowed by unfamiliarity with the system, lack of DFCS, and a few other things.

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:15:10 AM EDT
[#3]
"During the day, pyrotechnic units of the SES found and neutralized 1,316 explosive devices, inspected an area of 150 hectares.

In total since the beginning of large-scale military invasion of the Russian Federation 115 thousand 268 explosive objects are neutralized"

View Quote

Within the last couple days, they said Kyiv had been cleared and they'd disposed of some 105k items.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:19:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Uran-6 robots demining in Luhansk

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:20:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Always win? Trannies and diversity promotions say different.
View Quote

We will always win because the American Fighting Man is the single greatest warrior this Earth has ever seen.  

There is no equal.  You may be swayed into thinking he is not, but I am here to tell you that is wrong.

I have seen the American Fighting Man in every clime and place.  I have been beside him.  He has inspired me.  

My great uncles and my grand dad's fought the Jerries and the Japs in the Big One.  My dad fought the communists in Vietnam.

Being Raised on Reagan I figured I was born to fight the communists in eastern Europe.  

Didn't quite work out that way, I ended up fighting towel headed terrorists.  

But the fact remains that no greater warrior has ever walked this planet.  

It may sound kitchy, but some of us still believe that the greatest country to ever have the sun rise over it is still guarded by the greatest warriors ever known.  

And yes, we will always win.

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:22:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By JQ66:

How about tracer, APIT, or raufoss rounds?
Or still need the diesel mix with such an impact and small bags of it?
View Quote

By itself ammonium nitrate is just an oxidizer. If it is very pure it should be relatively safe.

Many things can act as fuel with enough oxidizer.

Would not be my choice to fortify a foxhole
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:23:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Chaingun:
And there goes the Russian aircraft
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dracster:
"The United States will provide Ukraine with its MIM-104 Patriot anti-aircraft missile system

The Washington Post reports that this is provided by the aid package adopted yesterday.
MIM-104 Patriot has a high combat capability and is the main anti-missile and air system in the arsenal of the US Army."

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48680/photo_2022-05-20_13-49-58_jpg-2390820.JPG
And there goes the Russian aircraft

They should’ve waited to announce it after they were able to show the burned up wreckage of a Tu-22M Backfire in some Ukrainian wheat field.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:33:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By mbinky:

We will always win because the American Fighting Man is the single greatest warrior this Earth has ever seen.  

There is no equal.  You may be swayed into thinking he is not, but I am here to tell you that is wrong.

I have seen the American Fighting Man in every clime and place.  I have been beside him.  He has inspired me.  

My great uncles and my grand dad's fought the Jerries and the Japs in the Big One.  My dad fought the communists in Vietnam.

Being Raised on Reagan I figured I was born to fight the communists in eastern Europe.  

It may sound kitchy, but some of us still believe that the greatest country to ever have the sun rise over it is still guarded by the greatest warriors ever known.  

View Quote

currently you're probably correct.  But who makes up the bulk of the current "fighting man", and where is it headed?

Everyone loves to be moto, and currently ya our .mil could kick the shit out of anyone. But as the country shifts so will the .mil.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:33:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Circuits:

I endorse pressuring the New York Times to cede their "reporting" to the far superior New York Post.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

I endorse pressuring the New York Times to cede their "reporting" to the far superior New York Post.

Ukraine ought to file charges in international criminal court against the NYT for aiding and abetting mass murder and ethnic cleansing against the Ukrainian people, for their favorable reporting and covering up the truth of the holomodor.  And a number of other acts of genocide committed by the USSR that the NYT covered up.
Take possession of the trade names, shut it down, destroy the building, dig up the grave of Walter durante and do something unceremonious with what’s left of his corpse
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:34:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:37:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:37:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By BB:
Sitrep?
View Quote
Russia is making incremental small gains out of Popasna over the last few days and they're pushing toward Soledar to cut off a MSR to Severodonetsk. Also Severodonetsk is surrounded on 3 sides and their back is to the river. So they need to make sure they aren't trapped across the river, supplies cut off, or encircled. The main goal should be to prevent another Mariupol in Severodonetsk.

Also Russia has retaken some of the UA gains along the border north of Kharkiv. I believe Russia threw the 1st Guard tank division, to try and stop the UA from cutting off their MSR in Vovchansk. Through which connects Kupyansk and Izyum to Belgorod.

Going to be very interesting couple weeks. Ukraine could still lose this war if they don't prevent encirclement in the Donbas. Russia has transitioned to the ole steamroller strategy: Pounding the shit out of areas with arty and then move forward to occupy the rubble. They've managed to move about 7 miles out of Popansa over the last few days, which isn't a lot, but it's way more than they had been averaging. So hopefully the UA is just pulling back to more defensible positions.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:38:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Telegram. Supposedly a Russian arty vehicle being hit. What a shock wave!
Telegram
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:39:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By sq40:

Paging Elon…  found something else for you to buy.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sq40:
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

As if I needed another reason to believe that the NY Time was a communist rag hell bent on destroying this country....

Paging Elon…  found something else for you to buy.

The NYT needs to be consigned to the trash heap of history.
You know, you can’t make an omelet without breaking a few eggs.

The NYT are all bag eggs.  Orc eggs.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:40:14 AM EDT
[#15]

Ukraine ought to file charges in international criminal court against the NYT for aiding and abetting mass murder and ethnic cleansing against the Ukrainian people, for their favorable reporting and covering up the truth of the holomodor.  And a number of other acts of genocide committed by the USSR that the NYT covered up.
Take possession of the trade names, shut it down, destroy the building, dig up the grave of Walter durante and do something unceremonious with what’s left of his corpse
View Quote

Amen to that!
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:42:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Wreckshooter] [#16]
Telegram. A bunch of knocked out, damaged and abandoned Russia vehicles with civilian tractors working to recover some of them.

Telegram
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:46:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By YaNi05:
Russia is making incremental small gains out of Popasna over the last few days and they're pushing toward Soledar to cut off a MSR to Severodonetsk. Also Severodonetsk is surrounded on 3 sides and their back is to the river. So they need to make sure they aren't trapped across the river, supplies cut off, or encircled. The main goal should be to prevent another Mariupol in Severodonetsk.

Also Russia has retaken some of the UA gains along the border north of Kharkiv. I believe Russia threw the 1st Guard tank division, to try and stop the UA from cutting off their MSR in Vovchansk. Through which connects Kupyansk and Izyum to Belgorod.

Going to be very interesting couple weeks. Ukraine could still lose this war if they don't prevent encirclement in the Donbas. Russia has transitioned to the ole steamroller strategy: Pounding the shit out of areas with arty and then move forward to occupy the rubble. They've managed to move about 7 miles out of Popansa over the last few days, which isn't a lot, but it's way more than they had been averaging. So hopefully the UA is just pulling back to more defensible positions.
View Quote

More of this, please.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:51:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By YaNi05:

View Quote

Excellent sitrep. Thank you.
I just hope the UA is making Russia PAY for every inch. I mean centimeter..

I wonder if this is a final push by Russia, burning up the last of it's better units (Battle of the Bulge) desperate for a "now or never" victory...or they have stumbled across a simple tactic that they are somewhat proficient at. And/OR found some competent commanders to motivate the troops forward?
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:55:23 AM EDT
[#19]
This seems to be a fairly good overview,

Ukraine war: ''Smaller and smaller'' Russian offensives
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:55:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Not totally germane to the topic, but I like pics of tanks  

https://i.postimg.cc/NMyYjPZ2/P1020667.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Nj4QJX1F/P1020902.jpg

I think armor will be decisive in this battle.  And Arty.  I have a new found respect for arty.  

One of the first things Zelinsky asked for was artillery and tanks.

You can be wizz bang all you want but the only thing that takes and holds ground is armor and infantry.

(Pics taken in Trashcanistan. About 100 klicks north of LNK)

Every morning I woke up and took a leak at the piss tube.  Then I walked the line, asking the boys about to go on patrol if they had any issues with their tanks.  I hopped in one kids tank to check his DVE power cable and found this.  

That's the start button on the DMP (Driver's Master Panel) to fire the tank up.  He just didn't want to start the tank.  That was his "Kill" button.  Motivated Devil Dog.

https://i.postimg.cc/2jtJY7QM/P1020954a-Large.jpg

I'll put the Rheinmetall M256 cannon against anything the Soviets have.  

An A1 can get a ballistic solution to (about) 4K meters.  An A2 can go 25% further.  

Our PH (probability of hit) on the move  isimpressive.  

Max speed of 40 +/-2 MPH.

The Germans added calibers to the Leo to gain effectivenessWe built better ammo.

I have seen the Abrams smoke Russian tanks at distances no one thought possible (Iraq).  

It's not all gun, the crew has a big part in it.  A good crew works like a sewing machine.  

As a mech there is nothing better than listening to a crew on the radio calling fire commands.  It's like watching a trained ballet dancer.  

Shit just dies when they yell "On the Way".

Sitting in my 88 it just makes me all tingly inside lol.

That is one thing that separates the west from our adversaries.  Training.  

I believe that some of our armor is equal, but the big differential is our training.  A fully trained US tank crew is like poetry in motion.  It's seamless.  

Totally amazing to see.  To me that is our greatest asset.  The tank is good, but the crew is great.  

That's why we will always win.

Some old school tank firing.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZN0MKGLVfM
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Is it wrong that thinking about Abrams out joyfully turret skipping T tanks gives me magnificent wood?

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:57:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By R0N:

Russian doctrine is to use fires to clear the breach area of most of the wire and many of obstacles through a mix of high volume VT and quick fuzed HE prior to breaching vehicles arriving.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By R0N:
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

In industrial war like this, artillery causes 80% of casualties.

It has literally opened my eyes to the power of artillery.

I trained for decades to breach obstacles with a tank and a mine plow.

Arty can cut that breach short in a minute with a drone and some precision arty.  

Russian doctrine is to use fires to clear the breach area of most of the wire and many of obstacles through a mix of high volume VT and quick fuzed HE prior to breaching vehicles arriving.
But is anyone in their rat fuck army actually competent enough to execute their doctrine?

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:58:20 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

It has given me even more appreciation for what was endured in places like Khe Sanh, Dien Bien Phu, etc where you are sitting there getting pounded and the enemy has you dialed in.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 10:03:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Wreckshooter:
Telegram. A bunch of knocked out, damaged and abandoned Russia vehicles with civilian tractors working to recover some of them.

Telegram
View Quote

Ton of good stuff on that channel.

Good reminder, don’t trust nuthin’.

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 10:06:23 AM EDT
[#24]
American weapons good.

American vehicles…
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 10:06:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Not totally germane to the topic, but I like pics of tanks  

https://i.postimg.cc/NMyYjPZ2/P1020667.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Nj4QJX1F/P1020902.jpg

I think armor will be decisive in this battle.  And Arty.  I have a new found respect for arty.  

One of the first things Zelinsky asked for was artillery and tanks.

You can be wizz bang all you want but the only thing that takes and holds ground is armor and infantry.

(Pics taken in Trashcanistan. About 100 klicks north of LNK)

Every morning I woke up and took a leak at the piss tube.  Then I walked the line, asking the boys about to go on patrol if they had any issues with their tanks.  I hopped in one kids tank to check his DVE power cable and found this.  

That's the start button on the DMP (Driver's Master Panel) to fire the tank up.  He just didn't want to start the tank.  That was his "Kill" button.  Motivated Devil Dog.

https://i.postimg.cc/2jtJY7QM/P1020954a-Large.jpg

I’ll put the Rheinmetall M256 cannon against anything the Soviets have.  

An A1 can get a ballistic solution to (about) 4K meters.  An A2 can go 25% further.  

Our PH (probability of hit) on the move  is…impressive.  

Max speed of 40 +/-2 MPH….

The Germans added calibers to the Leo to gain effectiveness…We built better ammo.

I have seen the Abrams smoke Russian tanks at distances no one thought possible (Iraq).  

It’s not all gun, the crew has a big part in it.  A good crew works like a sewing machine.  

As a mech there is nothing better than listening to a crew on the radio calling fire commands.  It’s like watching a trained ballet dancer.  

Shit just dies when they yell “On the Way”.

Sitting in my 88 it just makes me all tingly inside lol.

That is one thing that separates the west from our adversaries.  Training.  

I believe that some of our armor is equal, but the big differential is our training.  A fully trained US tank crew is like poetry in motion.  It's seamless.  

Totally amazing to see.  To me that is our greatest asset.  The tank is good, but the crew is great.  

That's why we will always win.

Some old school tank firing.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZN0MKGLVfM
View Quote

For the past 20+ years, light infantry and especially SF, SEALs etc have been all the rage. And rightfully so in the COIN world.

But we are seeing war on an industrial scale again where tanks and especially arty rule. We've not seen this since DS#1 in '91 where I got to serve, lucky for me.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 10:06:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By AROKIE:

so Ukrainian police seized a stash of weapons put in place by Ukrainian military...umm what am i missing? why did they do that?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AROKIE:
Originally Posted By Krater:
Speculation is that Ukrainian police uncovered a "stay behind" cache prepared by UkrSF.  Interesting factoid - the Chinese AKs in the cache were originally sold to Iran, which gave them to Houthis - but US has intercepted the shipment at sea. And now they are in Ukraine.

I'd be in fat city finding that stuff in my backyard

so Ukrainian police seized a stash of weapons put in place by Ukrainian military...umm what am i missing? why did they do that?

Maybe they are like US police.

If War breaks out here against a foreign invader.. still better do those 4473s, and tape measure those 16” uppers and cans.  You know… it’s the law.  

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 10:10:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#27]
“Poland transferred to Ukraine a huge stockpile of spare parts and weapons for the MiG-29 — Onet

As reported, thanks to the deliveries of the Ukrainian Air Force, they can now restore the combat capability of aircraft on an ongoing basis.

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 10:14:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Telegram. Ukrainian recon team being chased by a Russian drone directing artillery fire at them.

Telegram
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 10:17:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By _disconnector_:
Is it wrong that thinking about Abrams out joyfully turret skipping T tanks gives me magnificent wood?
View Quote

Sullivan Cup 2022 just happened.  Sadly the USMC didn't field a crew...because our shitty Commandant got rid of our tanks (Impeach 38!)

2022 Sullivan Cup | Official Trailer

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 10:18:15 AM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

Holy fuck man  I think you and I could be friends.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 10:18:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Telegram. Ukrainian recon team being chased by a Russian drone directing artillery fire at them.

Telegram
View Quote

That looks fucking exhausting. Orcs are learning.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 10:22:40 AM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

It did not look smooth and fast like the vid's of US Marines doing it. I wonder how they like the 777? Hopefully they will warm up to it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 10:29:55 AM EDT
[#33]
“During the day, pyrotechnic units of the SES found and neutralized 1,316 explosive devices, inspected an area of 150 hectares.

In total since the beginning of large-scale military invasion of the Russian Federation 115 thousand 268 explosive objects are neutralized”

View Quote

Interesting. The photo in the link shows the "EOD" person carrying an RPG launcher probably dug out from some destroyed Russian vehicle or wherever. The Rocket is missing but maybe the booster is stuck inside the tube. Or...they wanted the safest item possible for the media to photograph. There will be mountains of dangerous shit when this is all cleaned up.

Stupid me, I would volunteer to help clear UXO and other material from the battle fields. Probably the only thing this old 12B would be good for...
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 11:18:28 AM EDT
[#34]

They should’ve waited to announce it after they were able to show the burned up wreckage of a Tu-22M Backfire in some Ukrainian wheat field.
View Quote

Yeah, maybe. I might prefer the russians don't find out about it at all until their one intelligence community proves it to them, as I want as many russian planes dropping from the sky as possible. However, once the russians know their planes are going to be getting nailed by the Patriot system they are going to become very, very reluctant to used those planes at all. And that will make a difference on the battle field where Ukrainians are dying. The lack of planes will definitely have an impact on the overall battlefield.
I'll bet russia is already getting cautious as they have no idea when Patriot will actually be on the battlifield regardless what we tell the media.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 11:28:56 AM EDT
[#35]
View All Quotes

+1  
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 11:31:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Does anybody have any idea of what the situation is with new troops heading to the battlefield for Ukraine? It seems like Ukraine is going to need a lot of people.
Even as Ukraine is doing the bulk of the work and they have said that is exactly how they want it, I love seeing pics of volunteers from other countries wearing their own patches as it shows what "we" are willing to do in this war.

Also, does anybody know how the foreign legion is made up? As in, are americans all put together as they will likely work well together or are they mixed in differently? It seems like mixing in together would far better for information sharing but I'm not sure that is as important as unit cohesion.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 11:45:51 AM EDT
[#37]

Arty can cut that breach short in a minute with a drone and some precision arty.  

View All Quotes

I didn’t realize how important it is in modern warfare either.  I assumed it was for defense of static positions and for forward operating bases.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 11:52:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Russian plane evaded Ukraine's manpads missile

?????????? ??????? ???? ?? ?????? ???? ???????

Iskander rocket explosion near Ukrainian soldiers

Взрыв ракеты Искандер вблизи солдат Украины

Mine clearance by a robot sapper "Uran 6" in Ukraine

Разминирование роботом сапером «Уран 6» на Украине

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 11:56:13 AM EDT
[#39]

Telegram
View Quote
They're like the brass bandits on the gun range, shit still burning and they are grabbing shit for themselves .
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 11:58:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By CS223:
They're like the brass bandits on the gun range, shit still burning and they are grabbing shit for themselves .
View All Quotes

Telegram

lol, I know, I was nervous watching the tractor go past two still burning T tanks.  No way I'd go near those with open flames still burning on the vehicle.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
lol, I know, I was nervous watching the tractor go past two still burning T tanks.  No way I'd go near those with open flames still burning on the vehicle.
View Quote

Ukrainian farmer stronk!
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:06:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:13:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By realwar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oBd_DWfoYc
View Quote

@realwar I cringed the first time I saw that video, after I realized it was me and other US taxpayers buying their replacement barrels :(

I hope that was actual commie killin' and not just a propaganda filmfest.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:17:38 PM EDT
[#44]

Ukrainian farmer stronk!
View Quote

My father would say, "Stronk, like Bull!"
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:19:26 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

Telegram

Ukrainian tractor operators are in dire need of a safety officer.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:27:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Russian Ka-52 Killer helicopters carry out combat ops on Ukrainian targets
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:35:58 PM EDT
[#47]

One of the big frickin' mortars smoked by counter battery.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:37:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#48]
Russia just lost one 240mm mortar, big boom!

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:45:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

Go ahead. Do it. Burn through money.
View All Quotes

By the end of the year?  What are they going to build them out of, cardboard ?
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:48:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Russia just lost one 240mm mortar, big boom!

View Quote

The area looks very similar to the Russian video of one in action recently.
Page / 5585
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1995 of 5585)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top