Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1369 of 5585)
Page / 5585
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:19:41 PM EDT
[#1]
The Russians pulling back from Kiev is seriously interesting timing.

It's a huge loss of face for Russia and a loss of a huge means of political pressure (being able to shell your enemies Capital) while conducting cease-fire/peace talks.

It tells me we are closer to a cease fire than many are thinking, or the Russians were seriously on the edge of an absolute collapse in the north.

Next couple days I think will turn into a crucial moment.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:19:43 PM EDT
[#2]
So what's the end game here? Putin takes his ball and goes home saying he kicked the Nazis out of Ukraine and claims victory? Or does he feel that the only way to win is to throw more bodies at the wood chipper until there's nothing left?

I'm not of the consensus that he uses nukes in any fashion that's just a ultimate way of ensuring Russia ceases to exist. Chem/Bio maybe but again it's the ultimate way to ensure Russia burns to the ground as all sanctions would be ratcheted up to ultimate level.

Does Putin get the usual Russian treatment given to previous dictators/presidents there? Russia has already been exposed as the paper tiger and their military is a joke.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:21:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mercersfinest4:

We don’t get to pick what Putin chooses to do.

We do get to pick what we do back to him and we need to make it hurt a lot worse than he thinks it will.

No sane person wants to see WMDs deployed.  It may not be our call.  Hand wringing doesn’t make the possibility disappear.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wyomingnick:
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

I wouldn't be surprised if they are more prepared for nuclear war then us. We haven't really taken nuclear preparation serious for a long time. I bet they've spent the money to keep some of stuff ready.

Like they invested in their ground forces.

Dangerous gamble to play. Possible they focused on their nuclear forces because they knew their ground forces couldn't compare. I believe they've said as much.

Isn’t that the only thing they can say right now?

Either way, at some point you have to punch a bully in the teeth.

I get that, but I think we have done ourselves a great disservice as a nation by not preparing for this moment. Civil defense, nuclear defense, modernizing our own nuclear weapons, etc. All that hasn't been properly funded. Even in the 1980s liberals scoffed at Reagans star wars defense, and they'll been trying to weaken our nuclear defense all the time like they do everything else.

Russia may be well ahead of us. I don't know for sure, and probably none of us here really know for certain the extent of our nuclear capabilities and defense compared to theirs, but I am concerned.

Do you still punch that bully in the teeth when you are definitely going to lose ? Is that the case here, I don't know but someone probably does.

Russia is not ahead of us in anything defense related.

Their bombers and submarines are a joke, ours are the best in the world.

There are two legs of the triad.

As for land launched ICBMs, not sure.  I’d bet parity is the best they could hope for.

People fear what they are unsure of.  Russia takes advantage of that fear by talking up its capabilities.

Russia can’t be allowed to leverage its nuclear weapons to whatever end it chooses.  A line needs to be drawn.  After they’re allowed to take Ukraine, are they allowed to take their other neighbors?  Is a NATO country the line?  Everyone’s line is different and Russia will take advantage of the fear and indecisiveness.

I get that I just hope it doesn't end with 100 million dead Americans

As far as the nuclear comparison between US/RUS, we don't really know. I hope you're right but there is plenty that disagree with you.

We don’t get to pick what Putin chooses to do.

We do get to pick what we do back to him and we need to make it hurt a lot worse than he thinks it will.

No sane person wants to see WMDs deployed.  It may not be our call.  Hand wringing doesn’t make the possibility disappear.

If we were in a position of strength then I get it. I am afraid that our government probably maneuvered us into a position of weakness where we may not be able to call his bluff. Reality is nobody here really knows for certain what our condition of readiness and strength is but judging from everything else our government has done over the last couple decades I don't have high hopes.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:22:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zam18th] [#4]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

At least those had SEAD versions back in the day.  Was the F-117 ever a dual-capable aircraft?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ruin:

Where do you people get these ideas?

I really don't know but it demonstrates a complete lack of understanding on their part in regards to how the US conducts military actions.

Hell, a few pages back someone was advocating use of 117's for nuclear missions into Russia. Perhaps in 2 or 3 more pages we can spitball using F4's or 105's for SEAD.

At least those had SEAD versions back in the day.  Was the F-117 ever a dual-capable aircraft?

I guarantee it was. There's no way they developed a stealth Cold War aircraft that wasn't nuclear capable.

ETA
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/33733/the-stealthy-f-117-nighthawk-could-have-executed-nuclear-strikes-against-the-soviet-union
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:23:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Kanati:
Right? I grew up around the Mississippi delta and I'm not sure I've ever seen it that black.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kanati:
Right? I grew up around the Mississippi delta and I'm not sure I've ever seen it that black.

Supposedly the best dirt on Earth.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:26:40 PM EDT
[#6]
SCREAMIN' EAGLE - A Totally Tom Animation
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:26:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BerettaGuy] [#7]
Originally Posted By Balu:

That's one reason they can grow so much food. Fertile nutrient rich soil.
View All Quotes

Ukraine is known for being "The Breadbasket of the World " with the richest soil in the world.

That is what the red / black flag means- "I will die for this land." Blood on soil. That's why Ukrainian partisans used it. It's like a war flag.

Unlike what many assholes in the alt-right have stated that the red and black on Ukrainian flags are Nazi colors and then their tard followers just repeat this bullshit.

Red and black are very traditional colors especially in western Ukraine and have been for 500+ years because of the desire for the Kyivan-Rus/Ukrainian people to defend their land. My grandmother would embroider with those colors often.

And if you didn't know, the blue over yellow on the Ukrainian flag stands for the blue skies of Ukraine and their wheat fields below.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:26:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By outofbattery:
The old Soviets don’t understand current Russian demographics and have zero idea what they are doing to their country.

Don’t get me wrong,I am MUCH happier that Russia’s best and brightest aren’t willing to work for the regime and won’t be there to make the Russian army class of 2040.
View Quote
This again goes back to the demographic bomb Russia is apparently ignoring. As Zeihan said, this is the last major war they're going to fight. With the already-shrunken demographic of young people getting further reduced with wartime losses and significant emigration from people who don't want to get stuck with that, the next generation in Russia looks REALLY sparse. Foreign Policy review
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:27:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By glklvr:
I hope Russia isn't pulling back from Kyiv so they can use a WMD.
View Quote

It would not surprise me.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:28:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Do you still punch that bully in the teeth when you are definitely going to lose ? Is that the case here, I don't know but someone probably does.
View Quote

Yes, you absolutely do. You make him freaking bleed, even if it kills you.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:28:35 PM EDT
[#11]
What are they using in this clip?

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:28:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:30:45 PM EDT
[#13]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

Nuclear deterrence works when the other side knows you'll launch too. Biden has demonstrated incoherence, incompetence and waffling. Kamala is in the corner cackling. Does anybody think we'd respond with a nuke if he used a small tactical one?

Tater head gets to decide if we preemptively strike. Mil decides on retaliatory strikes.

It's on the internet so it has to be true.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:31:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By outofbattery:

The old Soviets don’t understand current Russian demographics and have zero idea what they are doing to their country.

View Quote

Well, someone here has zero understanding of the Soviet mindset.

The less you know, the better.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:31:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By voodochild:
So what's the end game here? Putin takes his ball and goes home saying he kicked the Nazis out of Ukraine and claims victory? Or does he feel that the only way to win is to throw more bodies at the wood chipper until there's nothing left?

I'm not of the consensus that he uses nukes in any fashion that's just a ultimate way of ensuring Russia ceases to exist. Chem/Bio maybe but again it's the ultimate way to ensure Russia burns to the ground as all sanctions would be ratcheted up to ultimate level.

Does Putin get the usual Russian treatment given to previous dictators/presidents there? Russia has already been exposed as the paper tiger and their military is a joke.
View Quote
It's all kinda unknown at this moment.

This war is historic as far as a failed military operation. This is worse than the Winter War.

The Russian propaganda machine is strong. If all they were able to claim is a 3x3 territorial gain on Ukraine at the end of this, they wll still spin it into a victory.

I think changes will be more in the medium/long term. How internal power dynamics change in Russia. NATO has certainly secured it's funding for the next couple decades, and I believe the European bloc in general will end up being it's own global power player.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:31:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Chaingun:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:31:43 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

IMO, he focuses on securing Novorossiya and get's as much of it as he can before he signs a ceasefire. He then purges the population of anti Russian sentiment and installs puppets. He claims victory and focuses on rebuilding the military and destabilizing what remains of Ukraine.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:32:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Zam18th:

I guarantee it was. There's no way they developed a stealth Cold War aircraft that wasn't nuclear capable.

ETA
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/33733/the-stealthy-f-117-nighthawk-could-have-executed-nuclear-strikes-against-the-soviet-union
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ruin:

I really don't know but it demonstrates a complete lack of understanding on their part in regards to how the US conducts military actions.

Hell, a few pages back someone was advocating use of 117's for nuclear missions into Russia. Perhaps in 2 or 3 more pages we can spitball using F4's or 105's for SEAD.

ETA

Great link.  Learned something today.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:32:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Finslayer83] [#19]
Originally Posted By binthere:

That would be former 18 series my man. 18X just means a guy off the street who joined the army with a contract to attempt SF.

If he makes it through, then he gets a real 18 series MOS identifier. B= Weapons, C= Engineer, D=Medic, etc. If he fails out….Needs of the Army.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By binthere:

ODA

Like I said 900 pages ago.

18X are there

That would be former 18 series my man. 18X just means a guy off the street who joined the army with a contract to attempt SF.

If he makes it through, then he gets a real 18 series MOS identifier. B= Weapons, C= Engineer, D=Medic, etc. If he fails out….Needs of the Army.

I’m aware, was in his wedding after he got back from Syria. Used X for persec

Foolish to think we don’t have pax there.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:32:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By ludder093:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BEPozYPdNk
View Quote
NLAW.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:34:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:35:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Krater:
Any idea what this thing is?  Caption was: "Ukrainian soldiers walked back to their positions carrying captured Russian weapons after a clash outside of Kharkiv, in eastern Ukraine."

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2022/03/29/multimedia/29ukraine-blog-header-2pm/29ukraine-blog-header-2pm-superJumbo.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp
View Quote

Looks like a Kord or NSV with the barrel assembly removed, he's carrying it in his left hand
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:41:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I do think by the end of this, Russia will have fully turned from an authoritarian, to a totalitarian, state.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:42:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By TylerF:
I do think by the end of this, Russia will have fully turned from an authoritarian, to a totalitarian, state.
View Quote

Sadly, yes. Unless Putin is deposed that is.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:43:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By solid:

That's hot
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By solid:
Originally Posted By Kuhndog:
Fast moving Russian

Russian tank was hit, and the crew member forgets stop drop and roll

That's hot

Someone should tell him smoking is bad for you.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:45:28 PM EDT
[#26]
FYI, I don't know what it means: Currently adsbexchange.com has airframe 82-8000 (one of the two Boeing VC-25A presidential transports) about to do a direct flyover (not a descent) of Cheyenne Mountain in Colorado after performing a large loop from Maryland over the northern Midwest).

I can't find a published schedule of Biden traveling outside of DC today.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:46:35 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

Nuclear deterrence works when the other side knows you'll launch too. Biden has demonstrated incoherence, incompetence and waffling. Kamala is in the corner cackling. Does anybody think we'd respond with a nuke if he used a small tactical one?

Tater head gets to decide if we preemptively strike. Mil decides on retaliatory strikes.

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:48:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By dillydilly:

Don’t assume it was Ukraine. Could easily be a false flag or Russians against the war sabotaging it.
View Quote

OR just mishandling and vodka.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:49:01 PM EDT
[#29]

IMO, he focuses on securing Novorossiya and get's as much of it as he can before he signs a ceasefire. He then purges the population of anti Russian sentiment and installs puppets. He claims victory and focuses on rebuilding the military and destabilizing what remains of Ukraine.
View All Quotes

well he would come out of it with more than we did after 20 years in Afghanistan and Iraq
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:49:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By kncook:

Both started filming after an initial hit. The big explosion was a secondary (ammo going off). It may have been a smaller main strike (Byraktar?) that lead to the larger secondaries.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kncook:
Originally Posted By dmjung:

Interesting that the camera happened to be pointing in exactly the right direction that night to show the initial explosion.  Security cam or somebody knew...?

Both started filming after an initial hit. The big explosion was a secondary (ammo going off). It may have been a smaller main strike (Byraktar?) that lead to the larger secondaries.

When the pic turns sideways after the explosion in the second video, Ronald Reagan's face appears. He's smiling.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:50:14 PM EDT
[#31]
I heard your ERA needed some ERA so we ERA'd your ERA. (Captured T72B3)

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:51:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SilverBearX] [#32]
Delete.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:52:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zam18th] [#33]

View All Quotes

ETA

Me too. Surprisingly good read.

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:53:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Stretchman:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Stretchman:

Maybe, or you build up and prepare so you can hit him later.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:53:41 PM EDT
[#35]
The Russians pulling back from Kiev is seriously interesting timing.

It's a huge loss of face for Russia and a loss of a huge means of political pressure (being able to shell your enemies Capital) while conducting cease-fire/peace talks.

It tells me we are closer to a cease fire than many are thinking, or the Russians were seriously on the edge of an absolute collapse in the north.

Next couple days I think will turn into a crucial moment.
View Quote

You make some good points
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:53:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:54:01 PM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

I'm not even sure that would make a huge difference.

The top of Russian political society is just full of ex-KGB dudes, nevermind the way the Russian state has focused it's power on it's own state security apparatus over all other branches of its government.

And the more "enlightened" and Westernized Russians have been fleeing in droves.

Russian culture as a whole would have to shift in order to have a more free and open society. Russian authoritarianism dates back to the time the Mongols ruled the various Russian dutchies and principalities.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:55:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By BerettaGuy:

Ukraine is known for being "The Breadbasket of the World " with the richest soil in the world.

https://cdn.hinative.com/attached_images/90999/9586ac2baa89d2d31fcbf506a8dff9737f4d419b/large.jpeg?1492344467

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/y-cAAOSwygFecqej/s-l300.jpg

That is what the red / black flag means- "I will die for this land." Blood on soil. That's why Ukrainian partisans used it. It's like a war flag.

Unlike what many assholes in the alt-right have stated that the red and black on Ukrainian flags are Nazi colors and then their tard followers just repeat this bullshit.

Red and black are very traditional colors especially in western Ukraine and have been for 500+ years because of the desire for the Kyivan-Rus/Ukrainian people to defend their land. My grandmother would embroider with those colors often.

And if you didn't know, the blue over yellow on the Ukrainian flag stands for the blue skies of Ukraine and their wheat fields below.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BerettaGuy:

https://cdn.hinative.com/attached_images/90999/9586ac2baa89d2d31fcbf506a8dff9737f4d419b/large.jpeg?1492344467

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/y-cAAOSwygFecqej/s-l300.jpg

Yeah. It is shameful how people of the party of Reagan are pro- Russia now.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:57:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Captured UA T-72AMT

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
To hell with proportional responses. Seriously responding to nuking Ukraine by nuking Ukraine is not a good plan.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rca2222:

So wiping out the northern hemisphere rather than a proportional response?

To hell with proportional responses. Seriously responding to nuking Ukraine by nuking Ukraine is not a good plan.

Who suggested that? If you're referring to my comments I meant Russia.

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 5:02:42 PM EDT
[#41]

As for land launched ICBMs, not sure.  I’d bet parity is the best they could hope for.

People fear what they are unsure of.  Russia takes advantage of that fear by talking up its capabilities.

Russia can’t be allowed to leverage its nuclear weapons to whatever end it chooses.  A line needs to be drawn.  After they’re allowed to take Ukraine, are they allowed to take their other neighbors?  Is a NATO country the line?  Everyone’s line is different and Russia will take advantage of the fear and indecisiveness.
View All Quotes

I wouldn't be surprised if they are more prepared for nuclear war then us. We haven't really taken nuclear preparation serious for a long time. I bet they've spent the money to keep some of stuff ready.

Like they invested in their ground forces.

Dangerous gamble to play. Possible they focused on their nuclear forces because they knew their ground forces couldn't compare. I believe they've said as much.

Isn’t that the only thing they can say right now?

Either way, at some point you have to punch a bully in the teeth.

I get that, but I think we have done ourselves a great disservice as a nation by not preparing for this moment. Civil defense, nuclear defense, modernizing our own nuclear weapons, etc. All that hasn't been properly funded. Even in the 1980s liberals scoffed at Reagans star wars defense, and they'll been trying to weaken our nuclear defense all the time like they do everything else.

Russia may be well ahead of us. I don't know for sure, and probably none of us here really know for certain the extent of our nuclear capabilities and defense compared to theirs, but I am concerned.

Yes, NATO is the line.  It's been the line for 70+ years.  If you're in NATO, then you are part of a defense pact with us and many European countries.  It's been reiterated many times over the last few months.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 5:02:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 5:03:07 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

putin has stated he wants ukraine to remain out of nato, crimea as part of russia, dpr and lpr "independence" (which would likely turn in to a referendum voted on by russian soldiers to be a part of russia)

the push on kiev was mostly a distraction/wishful thinking. Currently russia is controlling more of ukraine than what they were even asking for. if they expand crimea and "free" dpr/lpr they'll cease fire, move in more russians lather rinse repeat and next take all of eastern ukraine to the Dnieper next time.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 5:03:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

... and anyone inside Russia who dares to question his successful victory and denazification in Ukraine is either killed or sent to the gulag.
View All Quotes

... and anyone inside Russia who dares to question his successful victory and denazification in Ukraine is either killed or sent to the gulag.

Some things never change...
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

Consolidate and hold where possible. Rinse and repeat in a decade.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 5:04:08 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

Absolutely. Time for some work camps. I'm sure China will be more than willing to provide backdoored, high tech censorship tools at clearance rates.

I worry that they'll take advantage of unemployment/poverty to rebuild the military and defense industry and close gaps in component manufacturing. What's old is new again.

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 5:04:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m35ben] [#47]
Originally Posted By rca2222:

Who suggested that? If you're referring to my comments I meant Russia.

View Quote
If I misunderstood what you posted I am sorry.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 5:11:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Damn that looks clean.
View All Quotes

Be cool to see that cruising around in Tehas
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 5:12:00 PM EDT
[#49]
NLAW.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ludder093:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BEPozYPdNk
NLAW.
I though an NLAW would have killed the tank? No minimum range on those things?
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 5:13:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

They found that rods from god did no more damage that the same payload of actual bombs for all the weight and energy required to take them into space. But if we actually do have rods from god, one of them should have accidentally fallen in russia with us taking the russian plan of just pretending we had nothing to do with it. "We don't know where it came from. Russia must have hit themselves in an attempt to blame us.(shrug) Sure hope it doesn't happen again."
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stone-age:
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:

There's a couple of ways the make that meaningless.
1) Cobalt salted bombs. If its a deeeep bunker he would probably live but he would never be able to come out of his hole.
2) Rods from god until magma boils out of the ground
3) Surface detonate many small warheads about five minutes apart for a day. They make progressively larger craters.
4) Others

It all depends on how emphatically you want to say fuck you really.

They found that rods from god did no more damage that the same payload of actual bombs for all the weight and energy required to take them into space. But if we actually do have rods from god, one of them should have accidentally fallen in russia with us taking the russian plan of just pretending we had nothing to do with it. "We don't know where it came from. Russia must have hit themselves in an attempt to blame us.(shrug) Sure hope it doesn't happen again."
Wait until Elon gets Starship flying.  We'll put hundreds of tons into orbit for a minimal cost - Rods of the Gods will start to make sense.

Or shit - just fill a Starship with concrete and drop it on a target from orbit.  

Page / 5585
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1369 of 5585)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top