Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 277
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:58:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Because it would make the racing more interesting and it would be easier for the poorer teams.

Racing Formula 1 is by definition unsafe. Making them drive less aggressively for the first lap after getting new tires won't change that significantly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I said the same thing a few pages back. Why would they do something that could compromise safety?

Because it would make the racing more interesting and it would be easier for the poorer teams.

Racing Formula 1 is by definition unsafe. Making them drive less aggressively for the first lap after getting new tires won't change that significantly.

How? In the world of F1, I can't imagine heating blankets for the tires are even a blip on the radar of costs.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:04:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

How? In the world of F1, I can't imagine heating blankets for the tires are even a blip on the radar of costs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I said the same thing a few pages back. Why would they do something that could compromise safety?

looks like a set of top nitch US made are like $3000 for 4 with the side panels

https://chickenhawkracing.com/product/digital-pro-line-model/
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:06:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:20:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Be interesting to see if the next race shakes up things a bit since it’s a different track with higher speed corners, plus they’ve made some changes to the track layout.  Hopefully it won’t be a crashfest like last year.  Suspect it will still be RedBull and Ferrari fighting it out at the front, though.  Still a long way to go with 22 more races and lots of points on offer.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:24:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Overall, this time-line sucks.  Except that in this time-line, Ferrari won the first race of the season!  Forza Ferrari!!!
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:31:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Looks like there was some concern by multiple teams previous to the race on the standard Marelli provided control unit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently, fuel pump issues for both Max and Sergio.

Hmm, wonder if had anything to do with the E10 fuel getting hot in the tank?

Looks like there was some concern by multiple teams previous to the race on the standard Marelli provided control unit.

The teams and the FIA are worried about fuel delivery. The main pump from the catchtank into the high-pressure pump is a standard part built by Marelli since this year. During the tests, some teams had problems with the electronics, which were cast in a resin box next to the pump. Cracks developed. This allowed petrol to penetrate and destroy the electronics. Allegedly, this was the reason why hardly any race distances were covered during the tests. After qualifying, some teams asked the FIA to check the pumps. The request was granted, of course. Nothing would be more embarrassing than a mass failure because of this part.

Have to see how the investigation plays out.  The fact that the other 17 or 18 (depending on Gasly issue) didn’t have this happen suggests it might be something specific for Red Bull, either their fuel supplier, or their packaging of the fuel system components.  Hopefully they are looking at some other teams pumps to see if they were OK, or just about to fail too.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:35:12 AM EDT
[#7]
NASCAR does not use tire warmers.  It makes for some interesting pit strategy.  For instance, tire inflation choice can determine if your car is good on short runs or better on long runs.  Tire designers can make different choices on compounding to optimize performance with or without pre-heating.

(And yes, I understand that you DGAF how Napcar does it.  But it never hurts to see other ways of doing things.)
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 12:24:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's been done in the past, they could make it if they wanted to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_One_tyres
View Quote

*shrugs* they should work on making a slick for non F1 racing that doesn't suck dick and blow out the sidewalls.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 1:00:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Teams spend around 280K Euros for a set of 40
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 1:02:26 PM EDT
[#10]
F1 Driver George Russell Replies to Fans on the Internet | GQ Sports
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 1:40:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
NASCAR does not use tire warmers.  It makes for some interesting pit strategy.  For instance, tire inflation choice can determine if your car is good on short runs or better on long runs.  Tire designers can make different choices on compounding to optimize performance with or without pre-heating.

(And yes, I understand that you DGAF how Napcar does it.  But it never hurts to see other ways of doing things.)
View Quote

valid point...I know people like to Poo Poo on Nascar but driving a stock car is tough. Ask Danica Crashtrick
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 1:48:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is everyone just going to ignore the elephant in the room?

How the heck did Ferrari manage to not fuck up their strategy?

Early days yet, so I'm going with; it was accidental.

m
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 4:13:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 4:25:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I’d just like to see some variety in tire manufacturers, but we know that won’t happen.

Tire warming blankets at least are a consistent part between the teams. If they disallow them, circuitous workarounds will be attempted, needing more and more attention and rule making.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 5:37:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I’d just like to see some variety in tire manufacturers, but we know that won’t happen.

Tire warming blankets at least are a consistent part between the teams. If they disallow them, circuitous workarounds will be attempted, needing more and more attention and rule making.
View Quote

After Tire Blankets were nixed in WEC they started using heated racks. I'm not up to date if those are still allowed.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 6:43:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 7:43:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 7:44:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 7:49:20 PM EDT
[#19]
These memes are fantastic
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 7:53:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I found a few sources and was laughing my ass off. I will keep em coming.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 8:44:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

F1 is so full of themselves, and their rule making nonsense.  

It’s estimated it takes 7 - 747s that DHL runs to ship cars and trailers to each event.  DHL’s
Freight bill is north of $10m per team

But yeah, the tire warmers are going to be the cost savings that makes it easier for a team to field 2 cars
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 8:52:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

f1troll_

on insta is pretty good.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 12:08:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Should I be able to revise my Fantasy lineup now?  Seems to be locked.

ETA: Never mind.  Works now.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 1:32:03 AM EDT
[#24]
I, for one, welcome our new Italian overlords.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:00:24 AM EDT
[#25]
The Real Reason for Red Bull’s Disaster | Bahrain GP
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:05:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'd just like to see some variety in tire manufacturers, but we know that won't happen.

View Quote
Not sure where I fall on this debate.
On the one hand, putting on cold tires does create a better spectacle for the fans as the skill of the driver will really come into play
during those first couple of out laps and who can get their tires up to temp most efficiently without losing much time.
It puts more emphasis on the drivers skills and abilities, and it'd be the same for everyone. No advantage to any one driver.
It would also kill the complete concept of the undercut.

As a cost savings measure, it's just stupid.
If they stay that's fine too.
I guess in the end I don't really care one way or the other.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:28:17 AM EDT
[#27]

Ugh thats bad if its the fuel blend.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 11:49:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Need Esstac to make them.  That's our Arfcom in into F1.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Someone on reddit says fuel cavitation. I had to google that one.

It would have shown up in pre season tests if they had run low fuel tests, but apparently RB didn't run low fuel tests.

Link Posted: 3/22/2022 2:05:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It would have shown up in pre season tests if they had run low fuel tests, but apparently RB didn't run low fuel tests.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

so I am assuming the cavitation led to vapor lock? Because under low g situations the cavitation should stop unless there is a massive screw up in the fuel cell design. In the boating world all the engines have vapor separating tanks to deal with all that.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:37:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Fuel cavitation could be a heat issue as well, which would be hard to replicate in testing (dirty air, track temp, ambiate temp). Not impossible, but to model everything and replicate race conditions would be very difficult.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 5:01:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

so I am assuming the cavitation led to vapor lock? Because under low g situations the cavitation should stop unless there is a massive screw up in the fuel cell design. In the boating world all the engines have vapor separating tanks to deal with all that.
View Quote

It was one theory. More likely than a problem with a standard part failing or fuel load miscalculation.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 6:09:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

f1troll_

on insta is pretty good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

f1troll_

on insta is pretty good.

That's the one I follow. Solid gold.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 7:35:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Race coming to Vegas?

"This year features two races in America, with the first Miami Grand Prix taking place on May 8, while Las Vegas looks likely to make it three U.S. races. A Vegas race will likely be confirmed in the weeks leading up to Miami's debut race."
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 9:18:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Race coming to Vegas?

"This year features two races in America, with the first Miami Grand Prix taking place on May 8, while Las Vegas looks likely to make it three U.S. races. A Vegas race will likely be confirmed in the weeks leading up to Miami's debut race."
View Quote
30 races is insane. That would be way to frantic of a schedule.
The crews would never have a day off. They'd need revolving crews, yet they want to tighten the teams budgets even more. Pick one.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:29:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The crews would never have a day off. They'd need revolving crews, yet they want to tighten the teams budgets even more. Pick one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Race coming to Vegas?

“Could have 30 races based on demand”

Not possible, but the demand is there.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:48:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Race coming to Vegas?

maybe just permanently stop going to russia and replace it with vegas
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 11:28:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Race coming to Vegas?

View Quote
That would be about the only way I will get to see F1 in person.  The wife loves it too, but she doesn't fly. I'm not going to get enough time off to drive across the country and back any time soon (Austin is a maybe possibility, but a hard time of the year for me to get away).

Bring one to Vegas!
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 12:15:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Would Las Vegas be another lame parking lot race?
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 12:25:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

"Could have 30 races based on demand"

View Quote
Gotcha.
I read the article at motorsport.com and they made it sound like Domenicali was pushing for 30 races.
There were also comments about dropping long held historical venues for new markets. I wonder what he has in mind?
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 12:29:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Would Las Vegas be another lame parking lot race?
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bf/8d/26/bf8d2601b86be3a382b2f5139b789485.jpg
View Quote

that looks terrible as a track
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 1:11:40 PM EDT
[#42]
just get Suzuka back!

('tentatively' scheduled for Oct 09)
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 2:23:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
just get Suzuka back!

('tentatively' scheduled for Oct 09)
View Quote

I'm a big fan of Suzuka
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 2:58:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Gotcha.
I read the article at motorsport.com and they made it sound like Domenicali was pushing for 30 races.
There were also comments about dropping long held historical venues for new markets. I wonder what he has in mind?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Could have 30 races based on demand"

Gotcha.

Monaco is going to be embarrassing in these new cars.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:33:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
New challenge: Doing 3-point turns around the hairpin.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:47:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Race coming to Vegas?

View Quote

If there is a night race in Vegas it will be dawn Monday morning in Europe when it happens.

Sucks to be them
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 4:01:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 4:25:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was thinking about that earlier. These new cars are huge. Monaco was already a struggle for the previous chassis.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 5:04:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

If there is a night race in Vegas it will be dawn Monday morning in Europe when it happens.

Sucks to be them
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Race coming to Vegas?

Sucks to be them

A Saturday night race would be pretty cool.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 5:08:42 PM EDT
[#50]
SAUDI ARABIAN GRAND PRIX SCHEDULE

FRIDAY 03/25
FP1 10AM - ESPN2
FP2 1PM - ESPN2

SATURDAY 03/26
FP3 10AM - ESPN2
QUALI 1PM - ESPN2

SUNDAY 03/27
RACE 1PM - ESPN

Page / 277