Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 241
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:50:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Here’s what the regulations say:

48.12 If the clerk of the course considers it safe to do so, and the message "LAPPED CARS MAY NOW OVERTAKE" has been sent to all Competitors via the official messaging system, any cars that have been lapped by the leader will be required to pass the cars on the lead lap and the safety car.
This will only apply to cars that were lapped at the time they crossed the Line at the end of the lap during which they crossed the first Safety Car line for the second time after the safety car was deployed.
Having overtaken the cars on the lead lap and the safety car these cars should then proceed around the track at an appropriate speed, without overtaking, and make every effort to take up position at the back of the line of cars behind the safety car. Whilst they are overtaking, and in order to ensure this may be carried out safely, the cars on the lead lap must always stay on the racing line unless deviating from it is unavoidable. Unless the clerk of the course considers the presence of the safety car is still necessary, once the last lapped car has passed the leader the safety car will return to the pits at the end of the following lap.
If the clerk of the course considers track conditions are unsuitable for overtaking the message "OVERTAKING WILL NOT BE PERMITTED" will be sent to all Competitors via the official messaging system.

48.13 When the clerk of the course decides it is safe to call in the safety car the message "SAFETY CAR IN THIS LAP" will be sent to all Competitors via the official messaging system and the car's orange lights will be extinguished. This will be the signal to the Competitors and drivers that it will be entering the pit lane at the end of that lap.

I suspect Merc will be reading “once the last lapped car has passed the leader the safety car will return to the pits at the end of the following lap.” and saying that it means all of the lapped cars have to unlap themselves before the SC comes in.  I read it as saying that’s a reason for the SC to come in, not a requirement that all cars have to unlap themselves.  48.13 says the clerk of the course can call the SC in when he decides it’s safe to do so.  No requirement to have cars unlap themselves.

I can’t see the FIA changing the results, at least because they know what a shitstorm that would set off.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:51:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go ahead and take it back from Max after the fact.

That will be a really, really good look for the sport.
View Quote

LOL, it’d be the icing on the 2021 cake. Glad Max won, hope the protests result in no changes.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:51:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Max summoned to the stewards room for passing under the safety car.
View Quote

you mean when hamilton almost stopped on track ?

LoL, whatever the FIA does now, they can only RUIN their sport

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:51:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Merc is getting their lawyers and are protesting the results.

Officially
View Quote

No surprise.  They is no downside for them.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:51:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Valtteri Bottas drives the same car as Hamilton..

View Quote

Valtteri, it's James....
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:54:36 AM EDT
[#6]
did anyone notice that Verstappen almost lost the car at last corner ?

F1 Abu Dhabi 2021 Final Lap Thriller Verstappen vs Hamilton
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:55:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Max summoned to the stewards room for passing under the safety car.

Not to mention the "simulated" start and then brake check Ham made around at the hotel.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:55:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Guess you really haven't watched F1 then if you think there has never been a better F1 driver than Lewis.

Against Schu or Senna or several others in their prime they would have destroyed him.  The only reason he got Champs 2-7 was because Mercedes got the Turbo Hybrid Era nailed from the get go.....and all the support from FIA.
View Quote

I agree he had the best car absolutely
Against Schumacher, Senna, Clark or Rosemeyer the other 4 with Hamilton are IMO the greatest of all time Lewis would do well but it is questionable if he could best them in their era.
In this era of computer design he would be their equal but against Schumacher in 2000 who used his brain like a computer to improve the car (Like Lauda did in his day) he would have been competitive but would have not beaten Schumi.
That is of course IMO something some here seem to think is unwelcome in the anti-Lewis club

If they take this away from Verstappen it will be a travesty and a tragedy. Max won and looking for nit picky BS to change what happened on the track will ruin the sport for years to come
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:56:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They are challenging the race results.

Ultimately, if it is determined that Massi has the power to make the call, then the results will stand.

The question is: did Massi tell Merc one thing, which influenced their pit strategy, then changed his mind.

I don't think that happened based on the radio coms that confirmed Merc was going to stay out to keep position.
View Quote

I can’t imagine that Massi would tell Merc, or anyone else, the the race would definitely finish under the SC.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:57:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Officially

Yeah it makes sense they’d give it a try.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:57:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Officially
View Quote

View Quote
Yeah it makes sense they’d give it a try.
View Quote

Exactly, why not go for it even though they know it's pointless.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:57:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Remember the theme for the race director and stewards this year has been "let them race."

Massi let them do just that.  I think that's how they will decide.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I can’t imagine that Massi would tell Merc, or anyone else, the the race would definitely finish under the SC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are challenging the race results.

Ultimately, if it is determined that Massi has the power to make the call, then the results will stand.

The question is: did Massi tell Merc one thing, which influenced their pit strategy, then changed his mind.

I don't think that happened based on the radio coms that confirmed Merc was going to stay out to keep position.

He explicitly did NOT tell RB his decision when Horner was asking him.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:00:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
did anyone notice that Verstappen almost lost the car at last corner ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqVk-_9wWG8
View Quote

Na, that was a bit of show boating... a little drift thru the last turn.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:01:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Valtteri Bottas drives the same car as Hamilton..

There is no doubt the Mercedes has been the main reason Hamilton has been able to win these 6 of his 7 titles.
I am sure Vettel or Alonso would have won most of those in that car and Lewis was in a different car but let me be clear:
I have no reason to like or dislike any F1 driver and try to stay away from what they are like except their driving.
Hamilton makes fewer mistakes and drives as clean or cleaner than any other top driver.
I salute Verstappen for his win and a great season and am happy someone else is champ but being honest there is a reason he is called "Mad Max"
Verstappen never had to worry about Hamilton stepping out but Hamilton certainly knew Max could/would

If we had all the drivers in a room and you and I said "who wants to grab some M4s and run some CQC drills?"
I would bet only one guy would jump up and join us: Lewis Hamilton
View Quote

Bottas drives the same car but not the same engine.  His engine is always detuned down from Hamiltons
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:03:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Der Plan

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:04:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Was just watching some of the post race on YT and Buxton seems so bummed out.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:04:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Hmm, seems like they only told the cars between Max and Hammy to unlap themselves, not all of the lapped cars.  That seems to the main point of Merc’s protest.  We’ll see where that goes.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:05:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

And who was fighting Latifi in order to get his tires dirty? That's right Mic SCHUMACHER!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ironic that a Mercedes powered car costed Hamilton
the title...

And who was fighting Latifi in order to get his tires dirty? That's right Mic SCHUMACHER!

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:07:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Hmm, seems like they only told the cars between Max and Hammy to unlap themselves, not all of the lapped cars.  That seems to the main point of Merc's protest.  We'll see where that goes.
View Quote

If they wanted a "motor race" for the final lap that's all that needed to be done.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:08:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hmm, seems like they only told the cars between Max and Hammy to unlap themselves, not all of the lapped cars.  That seems to the main point of Merc’s protest.  We’ll see where that goes.
View Quote

The second protest is about Max passing Ham at the Hotel.

It's a bit of a bullshit protest because Ham practically stopped and Max is side by side.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:13:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I missed that.  Is the protest about a dirty pass, or passing before they were allowed to pass after the SC came in?  Pass looked clean to me.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:15:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I missed that.  Is the protest about a dirty pass, or passing before they were allowed to pass after the SC came in?  Pass looked clean to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's just before the restart, where Max is waiting for Hamilton to restart the race.

Max is side by side with Ham when Ham is driving like a Canadian Snowbird in Tampa (stop, start, stop, start)

Everyone is saying it's BS.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:18:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's just before the restart, where Max is waiting for Hamilton to restart the race.

Max is side by side with Ham when Ham is driving like a Canadian Snowbird in Tampa (stop, start, stop, start)

Everyone is saying it's BS.
View Quote

well it is
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:18:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once the safety car left the track, Lewis becomes the safety car.

He was playing games and Max pulled along side of him. At one point, Max was about 6 inches ahead of him.

It would be a fitting end to the season (as mentioned before) if they change the results because of this.

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:18:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Per the official season's results, Kubica finished ahead of Mazipin in the Driver's as the one race Kubica ran in he finished ahead of Maz.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:20:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Take all the theatrics out of it….both Hamilton and max had their breaks over the season.  And after last weeks brake check, both were even on points and “on track racing events”…..the ending of todays race was a let down for the fans of F1 racing as a sport

Many closet racists wanted max to win regardless, and he did

But the better racer in today’s race was Hamilton.

Anyone that says he couldn’t drive an older car has not raced anything.  Good drivers can race better in any car of the era, it’s like a golfer.  They can golf better than 99.9% of the world using too short, ladies clubs

The end of today’s race was some NASCAR level bullshit

At minimum, they should have redflagged the race at the last crash, cleaned up and given them 5 laps to race

The 1/2 lap sprint finish was some
NASCAR script, playing in to future marketing potential….crap end to the season

And I am a Gasly fan.   So I didn’t care who wins as long as it was good racing and not mAx taking Hamilton out in a corner on lap 4
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:22:24 PM EDT
[#28]
It's just another example of HAM's bullshit game-playing.  Had he maintained some sort of pace, there would be no pass.  But, he slowed to a crawl and Max could have just rear-ended HAM.  Maybe that was what lulu hoped would happen, bust Max's wing up real good, Max possibly gets docked points or a time penalty, race done.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:22:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Bottas just said he feels like he lost the championship today.

#ultimatewingman
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:23:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

He was playing games and Max pulled along side of him. At one point, Max was about 6 inches ahead of him.

It would be a fitting end to the season (as mentioned before) if they change the results because of this.

View Quote

But where were they when they reached the safety car line where overtaking is allowed?  Many times behind the SC you see people momentarily get in from when the guy in front brakes hard to warm his brakes and tires.  The guy behind drops back to get into the correct position and no says anything.  If Hammy was in front when they reached the SC car line, that protest is going to be summarily dismissed.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:24:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Take all the theatrics out of it….both Hamilton and max had their breaks over the season.  And after last weeks brake check, both were even on points and “on track racing events”…..the ending of todays race was a let down for the fans of F1 racing as a sport

Anyone that says he couldn’t drive an older car has not raced anything.  Good drivers can race better in any car of the era, it’s like a golfer.  They can golf better than 99.9% of the world using too short, ladies clubs

At minimum, they should have redflagged the race at the last crash, cleaned up and given them 5 laps to race

And I am a Gasly fan.   So I didn’t care who wins as long as it was good racing and not mAx taking Hamilton out in a corner on lap 4
View Quote

Your driver doesnt win so everything is racist "and im even a gasley fan"

Eta. By not acting on lap one they showed who was the favorite after acting last week when Ham clearly pushed max off with 4 wheels of his own off the track and max still being punished. Fair is fair and fuck the fia.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

You are living up to your name with that post. Well done.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:25:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Boys....

Ho.lee. Fuck

I feel like we are watching trump win all over again.

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:26:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

But where were they when they reached the safety car line where overtaking is allowed?  Many times behind the SC you see people momentarily get in from when the guy in front brakes hard to warm his brakes and tires.  The guy behind drops back to get into the correct position and no says anything.  If Hammy was in front when they reached the SC car line, that protest is going to be summarily dismissed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They were essentially side by side before the start before the Hotel, but Ham was clearly ahead over the last three turns before the start/finish line.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:29:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Merc has brought a barrister (attorney) into the hearing now.

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:30:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Toto wolf to michael massi "you know the deal michael, do not back out now"
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don’t agree Hammy was the better driver.  However, I will acknowledge he had the faster car today.

There was no basis to red flag the race.  They only do that in specific circumstances, like when they need to repair crash barriers or there is too much debris spread all over the track that the cars can’t safely navigate through.  This wasn’t a red flag situation.  SC was the right call.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:33:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Merc has brought a barrister (attorney) into the hearing now.

View Quote

I doubt that’s going to impress anyone in the Stewards room.  Likely they will confirm their decision and let the full FIA appeal process figure it out later.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:35:31 PM EDT
[#39]
I think we can celebrate max’s victory while also admitting he got absolutely gifted the opportunity for that last lap.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I think we can celebrate max's victory while also admitting he got absolutely gifted the opportunity for that last lap.
View Quote

For sure. Without it he isn't the champion. But shit like that comes with the territory.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:36:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Only racist here is you, sorry your girl lost.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:38:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I think we can celebrate max’s victory while also admitting he got absolutely gifted the opportunity for that last lap.
View Quote

Let them race should be the default position of a freakin car race. "Gifted the opportunity to race" seems to be an oxymoron on this case. Ham had the opportunity to pit just as many times as max.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:39:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding. Bringing race into a thread about F1. Doesn’t have a place here.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:40:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Closet racists lol
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:41:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:42:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Let them race should be the default position of a freakin car race. "Gifted the opportunity to race" seems to be an oxymoron on this case. Ham had the opportunity to pit just as many times as max.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course. Just seeing Ham’s obnoxious lead suddenly become “your opponent is now next to you on softs” is a shitty turn of events.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:43:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Pretty sure that’s the same person who pulled the race card on me somewhere in this thread.

Could be wrong though.

If so he should be banned from the thread
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:46:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Masi- “Toto, it’s called a motor race, okay?”
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:47:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

FFS
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:49:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yea I mean Bottas smashes both Red Bull’s out at Hungary, gets a 5 place penalty and Max and Checo get 10 place grid penalties for new engines destroyed plus Max loses 18 points for a 2nd place and Checo loses at least 12 points.

They were all even going into that race. Righttttttt.

I still think Checo should have went Merc bowling but I’m glad he didn’t have to.
Page / 241
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top