Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 10:54:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Is there room for one more fat boy too get in on this, or am I too late?
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is there room for one more fat boy too get in on this, or am I too late?
View Quote
Absolutely! Welcome.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 11:53:37 AM EDT
[#3]
How's everyone else coming along?
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 9:09:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Still working at it. learned a lot from week 1 of meal prep.

I have not lost any weight, but I can see some muscle growth and fat loss, so while its frustrating on the weight loss side, its still good. I am going to start weighing every day to see how it all comes in. I have been weighing in randomly so I have not been watching small fluctuations.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 9:42:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Been making progress steadily.  3+ weeks on my first bulk phase.  Goal is for 8 weeks, 1#/week before I start cutting again.  So far it's been a bit more than planned, gained 5# in just under 4 weeks.

I'm going to give it until March 1st, before I cut.  Short term goal is ~224# on March 1st (was 215# starting the bulk in January), then looking at 2#/week.  Goal is to be just under 210# on may 1st.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 5:58:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Pics taken Jan 8th at gym.  49 yrs old, 6’1, embarrassingly about 240 lbs.   Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 6:44:10 AM EDT
[#7]
After being horrified by the evidence of poor diet choices and lack of exercise I made some immediate improvements.  Already down 8 lbs.  However also a slight derail of plans.  Metacarpal fracture is preventing any lifting for a couple months.  Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 8:22:34 AM EDT
[#8]
@flattop2004 welcome. Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 11:18:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, I was fully OK with blowing this off and never posting here again.   My laziness and apathy game is strong

But then, oh boy, then I started working out this week.  What a revolting development that was.  Both embarrassing and humbling might be a good way to put it.  So here we are.  I feel if I don't do something about this, I'm going to reach a point of no return.  Where no amount of effort is going to make much difference.

Anyway, I'm starting over at square one with the Strong Lifts 5x5 schedule.  I've just finished my second work out and I'm pretty sure I'm going to be functionally crippled for a few weeks until I get back into a routine and get used to lifting again.  I used to be into power lifting for fun when I was younger, so I had an idea of what I thought I could still lift.  I was so, so very wrong.  But, least I already know how to do the lifts correctly, and that is a major benefit right off the bat.

Once my legs stop feeling like rubber bands and I can walk normally again, I need to start the running and cardio stuff.  Probably next week or so.  That's the part I dread.  Even when I wasn't fat I hated running.  Need to get a ruck on my back too.

I have no idea what my weight or BMI, or really care.  I'll have to locate a scale at a truckstop or something and post it up.

So, here is what I'm starting with.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The goal here is to loose 2 paints sizes, and turn these man boobs back into pecks like God intended them to be.  I don't know what weight I'll need to be at for that to happen.  Not really fixated on weight anyway.

Just don't want to look like a tubby fucker anymore.  No matter what happens, the beard stays..
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 5:22:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well, I was fully OK with blowing this off and never posting here again.   My laziness and apathy game is strong

But then, oh boy, then I started working out this week.  What a revolting development that was.  Both embarrassing and humbling might be a good way to put it.  So here we are.  I feel if I don't do something about this, I'm going to reach a point of no return.  Where no amount of effort is going to make much difference.

Anyway, I'm starting over at square one with the Strong Lifts 5x5 schedule.  I've just finished my second work out and I'm pretty sure I'm going to be functionally crippled for a few weeks until I get back into a routine and get used to lifting again.  I used to be into power lifting for fun when I was younger, so I had an idea of what I thought I could still lift.  I was so, so very wrong.  But, least I already know how to do the lifts correctly, and that is a major benefit right off the bat.

Once my legs stop feeling like rubber bands and I can walk normally again, I need to start the running and cardio stuff.  Probably next week or so.  That's the part I dread.  Even when I wasn't fat I hated running.  Need to get a ruck on my back too.

I have no idea what my weight or BMI, or really care.  I'll have to locate a scale at a truckstop or something and post it up.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/9313/IMG_1292_JPG-836716.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/9313/IMG_1293_JPG-836717.JPG

The goal here is to loose 2 paints sizes, and turn these man boobs back into pecks like God intended them to be.  I don't know what weight I'll need to be at for that to happen.  Not really fixated on weight anyway.

Just don't want to look like a tubby fucker anymore.  No matter what happens, the beard stays..
View Quote
Good choice. Glad to have you.

Just make sure that every day you can say, "Better than yesterday."
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 9:10:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/9313/IMG_1292_JPG-836716.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/9313/IMG_1293_JPG-836717.JPG

View Quote
Keep the beard for sure.......lose the fat!  You can do it!
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 9:48:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Last weigh in was 192, since I've started, that's 44lbs down, 22 to go.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 12:05:15 PM EDT
[#13]
One thing is immediately obvious, I am going to need a power rack and some attachements sooner or later, in addition to my hand me down bench.  Checked Craigslist but didn't see anything worth driving an hour to go look at.  Might just go to Alro Steel next week to pick up some square tube and round barstock.  I really don't want another project right now, but I'm cheap, plus I can fab better than anything I'm going to find second hand.

Still need to locate a scale too.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 11:19:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I need to get my diet in check, staying pretty close to stagnant on weight. Lost .3 lbs net, after going down 2.8 over the week.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 8:51:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I need to get my diet in check, staying pretty close to stagnant on weight. Lost .3 lbs net, after going down 2.8 over the week.
View Quote
Same here. My workouts are great, and performance is going well. However, nutrition is causing me to feel bloated and just generally trashy.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 7:51:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Same here. My workouts are great, and performance is going well. However, nutrition is causing me to feel bloated and just generally trashy.
View Quote
Most days my workouts are solid, have only stalled twice in the workout, and once I know was recovery, one I didn't feel well, but could be completely diet. I feel fine most days, other than being fat, and I do love to eat shit food!

We had my little dude's birthday party Sunday, and of course there was cake and pizza lol. Had a shit day of eating yesterday because it was his actual birthday, so he chose where we ate.  I did have some compliments on how I look, Even though I'm staying close to the same weight, which tells me that it's obvious I'm losing fat and gaining muscle. I'm noticing growth in my arms, chest is getting flatter (and the titty flex is obvious ) and good definition in my calves, growth in my upper legs. This lifting weights thing does make some changes!
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 8:45:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Thought I'd check in to see how everyone is doing.

I myself am sick of my nutrition failures. I have succeeded at it before however, when I fail, I fail big. Cheat meals or days are like booze to an alcoholic... There's no dabbling for me. If I do, it turns into weeks of eating like a turd.

And so, it's time for a clean slate. Back to low-to-no-carb and counting calories.

Anyone else in the same spot? How about a group text or something of that nature for accountability?

Workout performance remains on par.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 10:46:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thought I'd check in to see how everyone is doing.

I myself am sick of my nutrition failures. I have succeeded at it before however, when I fail, I fail big. Cheat meals or days are like booze to an alcoholic... There's no dabbling for me. If I do, it turns into weeks of eating like a turd.

And so, it's time for a clean slate. Back to low-to-no-carb and counting calories.

Anyone else in the same spot? How about a group text or something of that nature for accountability?

Workout performance remains on par.
View Quote
My workouts are still going well, starting to see some growth in my quads and in my biceps, and some real definition in my calves.

My nutrition seems to be hit or miss, slowly dropping weight but it seems to fluctuate through the week. I can tell that I am losing fat, but this started as a weight-loss journey and I would like to get down that weight. 225 is the goal by April 30.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 9:10:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Couple bad weeks... back to 194.

Back on it now.  Hoping for 192 to 191 for Sunday.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 12:54:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I've had the crud for 2 weeks now....I took a few days off from the gym......eating, as always, is on target though....
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 2:28:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Had a buddy from my apprenticeship come over during lunch break to do a partner WOD. I don't do CrossFit type stuff all the time, but man... What a ball smoker.

Followed it up with eggs and bacon.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 10:11:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Still making progress, little by little.  I've definitely gotten stronger and added some muscle during my short "mini-bulk" cycle, but wasn't happy with the added fat.  It wasn't a lot, but it was enough to cloud my progress a bit.

I've decided to start my cut portion about 10 days early, started today.  Created a weekly meal plan, going to target 1-2#/week.  Still doing the same resistance workout, just shortening the rest times and adding more metabolic exercises as well.

Biggest issue is still my left shoulder, my old rotator cuff injury.  It's still causing enough pain to limit what I can lift on that side.  Still working on strengthening that side.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 5:50:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Attachment Attached File

The last month has been good on workouts, making gains, just watching weight bounce in the same 10 lbs range.

Need to work on consistency in diet and meal prep.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 9:03:01 AM EDT
[#24]
I finally got properly weighed in.  First I hopped onto a $.25 scale at a Love's truck stop.  That was a No-Go, it read 403lbs, twice.  Seems a bit off.  So the next day I got on a scale at the 24hr occupational health clinic while I was down there doing the annual whiz-quiz.  240lbs this time, in jeans and boots, seems more realistic we'll go with that.

I'm going to look into local BJJ classes later today, so it looks like my beard statement from earlier is false.  I can either cut it mostly off, or have it physically ripped off rolling on the mat.  I figure getting my ass handed to me by some one half my weight a few times a week will be terrific motivation for self improvement.  It's something I've always wanted to do anyway, just never got around to it.  Plus the training itself is a workout on it's own I've heard.  That is if I manage to avoid injury.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 9:27:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I finally got properly weighed in.  First I hopped onto a $.25 scale at a Love's truck stop.  That was a No-Go, it read 403lbs, twice.  Seems a bit off.  So the next day I got on a scale at the 24hr occupational health clinic while I was down there doing the annual whiz-quiz.  240lbs this time, in jeans and boots, seems more realistic we'll go with that.

I'm going to look into local BJJ classes later today, so it looks like my beard statement from earlier is false.  I can either cut it mostly off, or have it physically ripped off rolling on the mat.  I figure getting my ass handed to me by some one half my weight a few times a week will be terrific motivation for self improvement.  It's something I've always wanted to do anyway, just never got around to it.  Plus the training itself is a workout on it's own I've heard.  That is if I manage to avoid injury.
View Quote
Awesome. I hope to begin BJJ someday.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:28:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Scale said 250.2, which is 50 lbs down since I started last July. I'm losing more fat still, so recomping somewhat as well.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:40:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Starting DDPY this week (ordered, hasn't arrived).  Wife and I will be doing it together.

Had a lot of struggles getting back on track after killing it, but so far so good today.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 11:13:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Good to hear from you guys. 5/3/1 is making gains. Still working on nutrition.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 9:32:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Challenging myself to run the CrossFit WOD 'Murph' by the end of the year, in the vest. I don't know if I am a glutton for punishment or just downright stupid, but it sounds like a good idea when you have been drinking.

Murph:
1 mile run
100 pull ups
200 push ups
300 air squats
1 mile run

20 lb vest.

All for time.

I'm not looking to make a splash with time, just to finish it. Under 1 hour would be fantastic.

My problem will be the pull ups (have done a couple really ugly ones) and the cardio portion of the push-ups and squats.

EDIT: I'm going to factor these into the push/pull/legs for the accessory lifts under 5/3/1. I'm doing 10x10 pushups now, but going to bump it as I go. Work more on the pull lups, and do the squats just all the time. Still lifting, and this as well. Oh boy.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 10:07:37 AM EDT
[#30]
The pull ups are what would get me as well. The runs would be a welcome break.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 9:13:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The pull ups are what would get me as well. The runs would be a welcome break.
View Quote
Getting the diet down to lose weight and do a shit ton of pull exercises to get the back and core stronger should get me there. 1RM calculator based on my lat pulldowns (I know it's not exactly the same) puts me about 20 lbs out.

Going to start hitting negatives, pull down, cable/DB/BB rows, and building core. Working on the runs and building cardio base as well. Pushups are going to be a cardio part with doing that many.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 5:05:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Found this from the keto thread in GD while trying to read it all. Been at it awhile since the new year starting at 289.5lbs as of 1/26/19. Currently 254. I'll maybe post after pics and forget the before cause I know everyone knows what a fat man looks like
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 8:25:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Finally under 250, scale was 248 this morning.

Even though weight is slow to come off, seeing differences in how I look, muscle growth and fat loss. Wearing clothes I haven't worn in months or years, and the last time I wore them they were tight as shit. Now they are a bit loose.

Any progress is good progress!
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 8:27:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Finally under 250, scale was 248 this morning.

Even though weight is slow to come off, seeing differences in how I look, muscle growth and fat loss. Wearing clothes I haven't worn in months or years, and the last time I wore them they were tight as shit. Now they are a bit loose.

Any progress is good progress!
View Quote
That's good to hear. Keep moving forward!

I am feeling really good on keto, lifts continue to improve. Will soon be doing my 1RMs for the "1000 # Club."
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#35]
It's been a few months, so it's time for an update.

October 2018.  About 235#

Mid January 2019 215# just prior to starting a mini-bulk session (7-weeks, gained 8#).

April 8th 2019 212#

Progress has been continuing.  Losing right about 2.1#/week when I am in a calorie deficit.  Gained about 1.1#/week when I was in a caloric surplus (I figure 1/2 was fat, 1/2 was muscle).  Goal has been to be 210# by May 1st, which it looks like I will hit easily.   Secondary goal is to have visible abs about the same time, but I don't think I will be there yet.  I think I need to get down to 205# or so.  Either way, I've been adding in more core exercises into my routine.  Arms went from 14" to 15 3/4", but have recently dropped down to about 15 1/4" (I suspect due to leaning out a bit).  I've added a fitness tracker so I can monitor progress with every exercise.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Great to hear that. How's everyone else doing?
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 8:12:12 PM EDT
[#37]
@itgoesboom good progress! Looking good after the bulk!

Quoted:
Great to hear that. How's everyone else doing?
View Quote
Still going, hitting some PRs in the lifts (still have a ways to go, I feel my deadlifts are struggling) and the scale seemed to have stopped moving. Stuck at 250ish.

I'm seeing differences in body composition, dropping some body fat and getting slimmer, so nothing bad here!
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 7:53:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Y'all still with me?
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 6:36:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Y'all still with me?
View Quote
I am! Havent lost much weight here lately, but some recomp and hypertrophy is in full swing. 5/3/1 PPL is a solid workout, and in June I am wanting to do a 5K every training day (wanted to do it in May, but a quick ER trip messed that all up)
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 10:24:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Y'all still with me?
View Quote
Still here, still steadily losing weight.  Hit my May 1st goal (goal was < 210#, got to 207# on the 1st).  On vacation now, and still making progress.

Was hoping to have visible abs by now, not really there yet.  I'm seeing the top of the abs starting to poke through, so that's a positive.  Interestingly, had to replace my swim suit this week.  Previous one was just too loose, even though it's the one I wore when I was about 190-195#.  So I'm skinnier at 206# than when I was 195#.

On the flip side, I'm starting to lose some of the positive size I had recently gained, such as my upper arms.

I'm still improving in regards to strength (finally able to do chin-ups!), lat pull downs are improving, and slowly improving my dumbbell bench press and machine chest press.  But progress is slowing down a bit, and I'm not able to do the same volume as before.  I think I've moved past the body recomposition phase, and being in a calorie deficit is starting to catch up to me.

I'm considering switching back to a surplus again for a bit, to start building back some muscle, even though I still have some fat to drop.  Not quite sure though.

Trying to figure out where to go from here is a bit of a challenge.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:07:36 PM EDT
[#41]
362 in the first pic taken on Jan 27.  292 in the last pic taken today.  I’m on pace to hit my goal of 265 by late summer.

Link Posted: 5/24/2019 10:40:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Just checking in.

Seeing great progress in my lifts on 5/3/1. Got my deadlift back over 500# and squat closing in on 400#. Most encouraging is that my bench and OHP are both coming along better than ever.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 6:16:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Just checking in.

Seeing great progress in my lifts on 5/3/1. Got my deadlift back over 500# and squat closing in on 400#. Most encouraging is that my bench and OHP are both coming along better than ever.
View Quote
That's awesome!

I hit a deadlift PR of 315 a couple weeks ago. Running the BBS Challenge now then going to run a fat loss template. Gaining some weight but still feels like I'm losing fat, so I'll take that.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 5:44:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Down to 285.  Was 362 on January 19.  Want to lose 25-35 more.

Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:20:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Down to 285.  Was 362 on January 19.  Want to lose 25-35 more.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/23396/6D369498-47B1-4E9E-9F50-24ACF0F4CCB3-972057.jpg
View Quote
Jeebus H. Christ, thats great progress!

How did you go about losing that much weight, certain diet or just a CICO?
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 10:42:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Jeebus H. Christ, thats great progress!

How did you go about losing that much weight, certain diet or just a CICO?
View Quote
No specific diet, but definitely low carb high protein.  I lift weights for an hour five days a week.  I lift during my lunch break.  I walk 45 minutes to an hour at night after the kids go to bed.  I weighed 282 today.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 8:09:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Just found this thread. Can I join if I'm looking to gain weight instead of losing it?
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 8:48:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Just found this thread. Can I join if I'm looking to gain weight instead of losing it?
View Quote
Sure!
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 6:24:19 PM EDT
[#50]
I've been slack as hell, starting back tomorrow on my routine, and hitting back on the free weights at the gym.

cutting sugar, and working on getting healthy, I will be 40 next year.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top