BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 160
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 6:00:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They really need to go back to a more simple aero package, circa 1990. That Haas front wing is ridiculous.
View Quote
It's called F2.

I would also like to point out that in this video, the turbulence has disipated by the time it reaches the back of the car.  
GRAND PRIX Driver - F1 Aerodynamics | Prime Video
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 6:10:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I don't get how a center obstruction, directly in the drivers line of site, is not considered a safety hazard.
View Quote
I've been wondering that myself. I certainly understand how the human brain works to block out things like that after some time, and how the way the eyes talk to the brain tends to cancel some of it out. If we focus on a distant object... as all drivers/riders operating a vehicle at fast speeds MUST do, that will put the close objects out of focus. It's like driving a prototype IMSA car with the center pane in front of you. But still... that's a helluva distraction and could hide a dangerous object flying right at you if it's path is straight and right in the way of that center spar. People would argue that in that case, the object will his the spar and bounce off without injuring the driver. I dunno. I just know that it would bug me having that there if I was used to a wide open view.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#3]
They are really trying to make this sport as lame and unwatchable as possible!
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 6:57:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've been wondering that myself. I certainly understand how the human brain works to block out things like that after some time, and how the way the eyes talk to the brain tends to cancel some of it out. If we focus on a distant object... as all drivers/riders operating a vehicle at fast speeds MUST do, that will put the close objects out of focus. It's like driving a prototype IMSA car with the center pane in front of you. But still... that's a helluva distraction and could hide a dangerous object flying right at you if it's path is straight and right in the way of that center spar. People would argue that in that case, the object will his the spar and bounce off without injuring the driver. I dunno. I just know that it would bug me having that there if I was used to a wide open view.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't get how a center obstruction, directly in the drivers line of site, is not considered a safety hazard.
Not only do we tend to look around stuff like that, Formula 1 drivers know the tracks so well, when they visualize a lap with just a steering wheel and their eyes closed, they are within a few seconds of their actual lap times. It does seem like it would be annoying though.

Link Posted: 2/16/2018 7:30:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Engines are not locked..lol Come on man..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's worse, if you watch Grand Prix Driver on Amazon Prime, you can see McLaren knew that the 2017 season was buggered before the first race was even run.  Why? Honda screwed the pooch - and the rules disallowed Honda from testing and understanding the underlying architectural issue and developing a new engine. After one failed test, the team was toast.

Why? No real in-season development, the engines are locked in before the start of the season, and a rule book designed to prevent the teams from clawing back the car into any reasonable race winning form.

This, to me, is the real problem with F1. I think it's critical that in season development and testing be reinstated, even if on a controlled basis. Let the constructors compete in building competitive cars once again. Let the engine suppliers recover from failed designs. Have a test each race weekend - 8 hours where the teams can run a T car to work on problems and performance.

It's wonderful that Mercedes can build an awesome car from day one. What would have been even more wonderful would have been seeing McLaren/Honda pull their cars out of the last grid position and at least get some podiums.

We'll see at testing this year whether or not any of the teams can race Mercedes. I hope so, because if not, I may be watching more WEC, Rolex, and maybe even Indy this year... and far less F1.

m
Engines are not locked..lol Come on man..
For the 2017 season, McLaren had 380 grid spot penalties. You say the engines aren't locked, and a lawyer would probably back that up. But are you seriously going to sit there and tell me that 380 spots isn't ridiculous?

Teams with sub-par powerplants are completely screwed. There needs to be a rational set of rules in place allowing teams to claw back into competitive form.

F1 is suffering because of these silly rules.

m
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 7:35:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not only do we tend to look around stuff like that, Formula 1 drivers know the tracks so well, when they visualize a lap with just a steering wheel and their eyes closed, they are within a few seconds of their actual lap times. It does seem like it would be annoying though.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachments/intl-motorsport/1482930d1457120253-safer-cockpit-designs-coming-f1-imageuploadedbyteambhp1457120253.213406.jpg
View Quote
Yuck... that view reminds me of going mudding and your windshield wipers clear the view for you, but there's all that real estate covered in mud. I've never been mudding, but I've seen a lot of vehicles who have and that view obstruction would bother the hell out of me.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 7:54:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They are really trying to make this sport as lame and unwatchable as possible!
View Quote
And in that, they're succeeding wildly!
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 9:08:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They really need to go back to a more simple aero package, circa 1990. That Haas front wing is ridiculous.
View Quote
It looks like Venetian blind.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 11:59:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yuck... that view reminds me of going mudding and your windshield wipers clear the view for you, but there's all that real estate covered in mud. I've never been mudding, but I've seen a lot of vehicles who have and that view obstruction would bother the hell out of me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachments/intl-motorsport/1482930d1457120253-safer-cockpit-designs-coming-f1-imageuploadedbyteambhp1457120253.213406.jpg
I guess reality is that most of the obstruction is the sky and above horizon, so really not critical, but still... I'd hate it.  If it's that critical, screen it off, put the supports on the sides, and give an unobstructed center view, or go with a canopy similar to a top fuel dragster.  I would hate it, but it would at least look better than this stupid thing.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 10:24:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:22:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Anyone want to buy Senna's 93 McLaren?

https://sports.yahoo.com/decent-tax-refund-coming-buy-002943198.html
View Quote
I do, bu't I cant spend more than $6 million on it. $6.1 it too much money. Maybe next time
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:48:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I do, bu't I cant spend more than $6 million on it. $6.1 it too much money. Maybe next time
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet it goes for much, much more.

That is probably one the most iconic and revered F1 cars of all time.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 2:27:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definetly, I was surprised when I saw $6.1mm.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 5:12:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Well that's shockingly different

edit: Looks like it's only a testing livery. That sucks, I kind of like it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 5:44:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Where's the AMG sticker?  LMAO
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 7:36:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Well that's shockingly different

edit: Looks like it's only a testing livery. That sucks, I kind of like it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/326493/rb14-456960.JPG
View Quote
Yeah, I like the livery. Hope it stays.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 7:51:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hamilton will buy that car.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Ummm... that doesn't sound as bad as I thought it would. Kinda surprised.

Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:25:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ummm... that doesn't sound as bad as I thought it would. Kinda surprised.

View Quote
I hope it’s not just the mic on the camera that filmed that. I don’t think they did anything with the exhaust to improve the sound this season.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:28:38 AM EDT
[#20]
The car looks good, even with the halo abomination.

Notice the canard-style wings above the air boxes  edit: radiator ducts/ side pods

Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:35:38 AM EDT
[#21]
It maybe a pain in the ass to see the drivers helmets this year and figure out who is who.

The Red Bull looks pretty cool.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 1:30:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It maybe a pain in the ass to see the drivers helmets this year and figure out who is who.

The Red Bull looks pretty cool.
View Quote
Probably part of the reason they made them put larger names and numbers on sides of the cars last year.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 1:38:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Give me Bill Gates money and anyone that wants to win the auction against me is going to be in for the long haul.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 4:00:04 PM EDT
[#24]
The cool testing liveries never stick around.

Still, that RBR looks great.

Scarbs review of the RB14
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 4:05:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Give me Bill Gates money and anyone that wants to win the auction against me is going to be in for the long haul.
View Quote
Like I said, with Lewis's love of Senna, and with his wealth--that one will wind up in his Garage hopefully. Imagine having that car, and then having the luxury of placing Senna's race worn helmet given to you by the senna family, on the nose of that car---and have it as a display piece? I mean hell, Lewis has already driven one of his cars.

I'm no Lewis fan, but that car should be in his collection--he's just to cough up the coin.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 4:35:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The cool testing liveries never stick around.

Still, that RBR looks great.

Scarbs review of the RB14
View Quote
I forgot about the RBR/Renault split at the end of this season. I sure as hell hope Honda gets their shit together...
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 5:06:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 5:07:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 5:50:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Anyone know if the F1 streaming service will be available come Melbourne? It's only a month away...

More details on F1’s streaming service emerge

I love the idea of being able to view data from the cars on my computer while the race is going on. I hope they incorporate a replay system into it, otherwise I'm going to miss several races like Melbourne and China.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:00:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:33:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'm waiting to see how ESPN can fuck up SKY's feed, before I go the streaming route.
View Quote
What do you mean? Are they just going to re-broadcast SKY from the UK? That's what I watched last season, it was great, good commentators and no commercials.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:37:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Don't care if it's just a test livery, new avatar for the year
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:44:07 AM EDT
[#33]
On the second pic, I know it's "testing," but you would think that RBR would have some other way to tie off the rear suspension than a 28" rod hanging out in the wind.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:45:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Alfa Romeo- Sauber

Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:27:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Them mudflap girls, tho.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:49:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Them mudflap girls, tho.
View Quote
The logo for Italian sportswear company Kappa.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:58:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Them mudflap girls, tho.
View Quote
I'm not sure that kind of logo has a place in 2018's Formula 1's modern standards.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:01:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm not sure that kind of logo has a place in 2018's Formula 1's modern standards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Them mudflap girls, tho.
It’s a dude and a chick, so it passes the PC test.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:10:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Renault

Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:39:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Car looks wicked, Hopefully Sainz, and Hulk can wring it out!
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 4:20:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Really liking the livery’s this year, it’s a shame RBRs won’t stick around after testing.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 5:56:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:55:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Theyll have to if that is the car.  Its very... simple...
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:01:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
This is what we are all assuming according to ESPN, but, and this is a big but, we know how well ESPN fucks things up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you mean? Are they just going to re-broadcast SKY from the UK? That's what I watched last season, it was great, good commentators and no commercials.
This is what we are all assuming according to ESPN, but, and this is a big but, we know how well ESPN fucks things up.
I'm sure if they end up doing this they'll plaster 1 hours worth of commercials during a 2 hour race . Totally ruins the flow of the race when there are commercials.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:42:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'm sure if they end up doing this they'll plaster 1 hours worth of commercials during a 2 hour race . Totally ruins the flow of the race when there are commercials.
View Quote
This is my big worry... and also why F1 will sell a ton of streaming packages if it happens. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

Livery power rankings (so far...):

1. RBR
2. Alfa/Sauber
3. Williams
4. Renault
5. Haas
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 9:19:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Really liking the livery's this year, it's a shame RBRs won't stick around after testing.
View Quote
They are all really great so far. Excited for Toro Rosso's, thought they had the best looking one last year.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:51:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:26:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Damn, STR went with a nub-nose. I thought last year's nose was great.

Attachment Attached File
Page / 160
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top