Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2018 1:00:26 PM EDT
This use of big data to pull together information on food satiety, nutrient density, and "keto score" to inform diets is amazing.  Info is grouped by title, then an image (for the TL;DR crowd), followed by a link that takes you to a web page that includes some data embedded behind the dots.  I'm going to chew on this a bit before posting anything else.

Plant Based Data

Satiety vs Keto

https://public.tableau.com/profile/marty.kendall7139#

Keto Score vs Nutrient Density

Satiety vs Nutrient Density

Carnivore Data

Satiety Score vs Keto Score

Omnivore Data

Satiety vs Keto Score

Edited to improve organization and delete duplicate tables.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 1:33:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Huh. Yeah gonna take a while to "digest" all that.

Makes you want to reevaluate some diet choices though at first glance.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 1:54:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, I've seen some other interesting stuff this system has put out about the impact of  macro ratios and number of meals per day on caloric intake.  Short answer - best for weight loss is plenty of protein and fiber.  You can do high protein/high fat and be successful, but choose your fats carefully and keep them tied to protein in whole food form.

In terms of meals per day, 2 meals per day = lowest caloric intake IF those meals were breakfast and lunch.  Worst 2-meal combo was breakfast and dinner.  Lunch/Dinner somewhere in between.  Also, if you eat three meals per day, eating 11% of total daily calories as protein at breakfast was correlated with lowest caloric intake i.e. 2000 calories per day total intake means 220 calories of protein (54g) at breakfast.

Apparently he's gone all big data on MyFitnessPal inputs.  Pretty cool stuff.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 2:31:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I hate it when people post crappy groups like this. If you can't shoot any better than that at 100yards, then give up.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 3:04:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yeah, I've seen some other interesting stuff this system has put out about the impact of  macro ratios and number of meals per day on caloric intake.  Short answer - best for weight loss is plenty of protein and fiber.  You can do high protein/high fat and be successful, but choose your fats carefully and keep them tied to protein in whole food form.

In terms of meals per day, 2 meals per day = lowest caloric intake IF those meals were breakfast and lunch.  Worst 2-meal combo was breakfast and dinner.  Lunch/Dinner somewhere in between.  Also, if you eat three meals per day, eating 11% of total daily calories as protein at breakfast was correlated with lowest caloric intake i.e. 2000 calories per day total intake means 220 calories of protein (54g) at breakfast.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh, that's fascinating. Makes me want to try IF with breakfast and lunch, instead of lunch and dinner. I could see that it would definitely cut down on total calories since I'm not usually very hungry in the mornings.

I'm not real familiar with some of those high nutrient, satiating, low carb veggies either. May need to try some.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 3:45:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Huh, that's fascinating. Makes me want to try IF with breakfast and lunch, instead of lunch and dinner. I could see that it would definitely cut down on total calories since I'm not usually very hungry in the mornings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

HOW MANY TIMES SHOULD YOU EAT A DAY TO LOSE WEIGHT?

So much for the 6 small meals per day crowd

If someone logged less than 100% of their goal intake for the day, it means that they ate less than their goal intake.  If they recorded more than 100% of their goal, it indicates that they were not able to keep their intake below their target.

The data analysis suggests that:

If you ate more than three meals a day, you’re likely to consume more calories than average.
One meal a day (OMAD) seems to help you eat less than average. However, the optimum daily meal frequency appears to be two meals if you are looking to maintain a sustained calorie deficit.

This is population data and not necessarily prescriptive, but it provides some great material for research hypotheses as well as science-based n=1 personal experimenting.

Link to main site:  https://optimisingnutrition.com/
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 7:40:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think that the last chart in the first post has the best info.  How to get the most nutrients for the fewest calories if you're trying to lean out (top right) OR what foods have a lot of nutrients that you can eat a lot of if you're trying to gain mass (high left).

Leafy greens, shellfish, whitefish, and organ meats - liver of all types - and rare clearly the things to eat for those wanting to get leaner.

Grains (especially processed or combined with fat - cakes, cookies, etc), nuts, and cheese are clearly things to avoid or minimize.

Pretty close to the original hypothesis of paleo.  Just add liver and cut nuts.

Of the keto favorites, butter and cream don't do very well.  Both are very bottom left.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 9:23:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Found the link to all of his charts

Link Posted: 10/2/2018 11:34:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think that the last chart in the first post has the best info.  How to get the most nutrients for the fewest calories if you're trying to lean out (top right) OR what foods have a lot of nutrients that you can eat a lot of if you're trying to gain mass (high left).

Leafy greens, shellfish, whitefish, and organ meats - liver of all types - and rare clearly the things to eat for those wanting to get leaner.

Grains (especially processed or combined with fat - cakes, cookies, etc), nuts, and cheese are clearly things to avoid or minimize.

Of the keto favorites, butter and cream don't do very well.  Both are very bottom left.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, looks like I need to eat asparagus more often ( I love it, just don't buy it too often) and see if I can track down endives. I need to study the meat a little more and consider changing things up. Not sure if I'm willing to eat liver regularly...
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 11:37:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I hate it when people post crappy groups like this. If you can't shoot any better than that at 100yards, then give up.
View Quote
And l spewed coffee on my cell
Thanks a lot
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 2:27:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah, looks like I need to eat asparagus more often ( I love it, just don't buy it too often) and see if I can track down endives. I need to study the meat a little more and consider changing things up. Not sure if I'm willing to eat liver regularly...
View Quote
4-8 oz of chicken livers, dredged in egg then almond flour and Old Bay, fried in the fat of your choice for 4-6 minutes, then dipped in a sauce of avocado oil mayo + chipotle & lime or Old Bay or Buffalo sauce.

If that's too much, a couple of slices of braunschweiger.  You could even dice it into eggs or chicken/tuna salad to cover the taste.

Beef liver is a bit stronger, so burying it under onions caramelized in bacon grease is helpful.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 3:07:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
4-8 oz of chicken livers, dredged in egg then almond flour and Old Bay, fried in the fat of your choice for 4-6 minutes, then dipped in a sauce of avocado oil mayo + chipotle & lime or Old Bay or Buffalo sauce.

If that's too much, a couple of slices of braunschweiger.  You could even dice it into eggs or chicken/tuna salad to cover the taste.

Beef liver is a bit stronger, so burying it under onions caramelized in bacon grease is helpful.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've done beef and didn't care for it (and that's saying something because I'm one step away from being a human garbage disposal). I'll try chicken though, this weekend maybe.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 3:14:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Braunschweiger definitely takes some getting used to.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 4:02:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I've done beef and didn't care for it (and that's saying something because I'm one step away from being a human garbage disposal). I'll try chicken though, this weekend maybe.
View Quote
Grass fed is more mild than grain fed.  Calf is more mild than beef.  Chicken is more mild than either.  I buy mine from the same place I get pastured eggs.  I eat 5-6oz most weeks.

I don't necessarily enjoy the beef liver, but I didn't always enjoy salad either.  If you have a meat grinder, you might look at grinding some liver into a hamburger.  It doesn't take much to get the benefits - a couple oz.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 4:04:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah, when I eat it at first I'm like creamy.  Then I'm like  And on to a little bit, but I eat 2/3 of a little round slice and give the rest to my dog who loves it.  Then I do it one more time.  All over and done with, Vitamin A/choline/etc inbound.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 6:42:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Grass fed is more mild than grain fed.  Calf is more mild than beef.  Chicken is more mild than either.  I buy mine from the same place I get pastured eggs.  I eat 5-6oz most weeks.

I don't necessarily enjoy the beef liver, but I didn't always enjoy salad either.  If you have a meat grinder, you might look at grinding some liver into a hamburger.  It doesn't take much to get the benefits - a couple oz.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm...I don't have a meat grinder but I could chop it up and mix with some ground beef.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:47:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Hmm...I don't have a meat grinder but I could chop it up and mix with some ground beef.
View Quote
Ground beef, spices, egg, and riced cauliflower = paleo meatloaf.  Add some chopped liver!
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 10:01:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Adding endives, chicken livers and beet greens to grocery list.

I used to love liverwurst as a kid.  Haven't had it in years.  Will try to get some.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 10:47:21 AM EDT
[#18]
I have no idea how to interpret those charts.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 12:05:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have no idea how to interpret those charts.
View Quote
More nutrient dense is almost always better

If you're trying to lean out, more satiety is better

If you're trying to gain weight, you may want to look at more lower satiety foods

If you're committed to Keto, higher keto score is better.

The guy has some algorithms that crunch out the score and there aren't many details on his web site.   As far as I can tell:

-Nutrient Density is based on micronutrient content per calorie
-Satiety is derived from data mining food logs in my fitness pal and similar apps and associating consumption of a given food with total caloric intake
-Keto Score is based on the insulin that the food creates i.e. the more fat and/or fiber per calorie AND the lower the carb count (and to a lesser extent protein, especially dairy protein) the higher the score
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 3:14:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Is it just me, or is alfalfa stupid high on satiety and nutrition?
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 4:20:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Am I understanding this right that his theories about meal timing and number of meals is based solely on peoples' self filled diaries on MFP, with all diaries assumed to be complete? If so, seems to be a HUGE source of error there when claiming that breakfast/lunch IF is better than lunch/dinner, without being sure the breakfast/lunch data points didn't just forget to punch in data for dinner

Also, curious on the metric for satiety. I didn't dig through his site, just looked at the JPGs of the charts
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 6:58:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Am I understanding this right that his theories about meal timing and number of meals is based solely on peoples' self filled diaries on MFP, with all diaries assumed to be complete? If so, seems to be a HUGE source of error there when claiming that breakfast/lunch IF is better than lunch/dinner, without being sure the breakfast/lunch data points didn't just forget to punch in data for dinner

Also, curious on the metric for satiety. I didn't dig through his site, just looked at the JPGs of the charts
View Quote
Pretty much any study that doesn't involve a metabolic ward requires people to self report their food intake.  The author didn't put forth "his theories" in the article, he reported what the data suggested.  This kind of data isn't suitable to use as scientific proof, but it is useful for forming a hypothesis and theory that can be validated or invalidated in structured research.  It's also useful jumping off point for doing some self-experimentation.  Probably a better starting point than taking some supplement because "it can't hurt".
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 7:01:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Is it just me, or is alfalfa stupid high on satiety and nutrition?
View Quote
I am trying to find out what he used as the denominator in his nutrient density calculation.  If it takes calories into account, any of the leafy greens will be inflated because they tend to be nutrient dense but not calorie dense i.e. you get a lot of nutrients for 100 calories worth of alfalfa, but maybe not so many in a standard serving size.

I just don't know how he calculated the number.  Pros and cons to both ways.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 7:09:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ralph's or Vons should have endive
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 6:13:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Joe Rogan has had a couple of great nutrition discussions on his podcast recently.  I'll put the youtube links below:

1175:  Chris Kresser and Dr. Joel Kahn debate the benefits/drawbacks of Omnivorous Diets (especially ancestral) and Vegan Diets.  Great give and take and plenty of science.

1176:  Dom D'Augustino and Layne Norton debate keto vs higher carb/traditional diets, especially as regards bodybuilding/strength training

And Chris Masterjohn critiques the Kresser/Kahn debate

Kresser/Kahn Vegan Debate on Joe Rogan: My Post-Game Analysis
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 6:11:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Ok I got some chicken liver. We'll see....
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 7:35:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is my base recipe. https://www.everydaymaven.com/crispy-spiced-chicken-livers/
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 8:05:12 PM EDT
[#28]
I mixed up some braunschweiger with cream cheese and spices. It's MUCH easier to get down that way.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 8:39:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I mixed up some braunschweiger with cream cheese and spices. It's MUCH easier to get down that way.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 8:48:35 PM EDT
[#30]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is my base recipe. https://www.everydaymaven.com/crispy-spiced-chicken-livers/
I"ll try that tomorrow, today I chopped up in hamburger.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 9:27:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Is there a definition of how "satiety" is measured in these graphs?  I was totally confused at seeing all of the leafy greens listed as more satiating than any protein or fat but when I followed that chart's link and saw that hovering over a point gives the measurements used, I realized I was reading the chart correctly and the leafy greens had measurements of 1.0+ while protein and fat foods were all < 1.0.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 10:01:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Alfalfa, endive and olive salad with sardines and eggs.

That's interesting info.  Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 11:09:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Alfalfa, endive and olive salad with sardines and eggs.

That's interesting info.  Thanks for posting.
View Quote
You know, that sounds kinda appetizing.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 3:54:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Is there a definition of how "satiety" is measured in these graphs?  I was totally confused at seeing all of the leafy greens listed as more satiating than any protein or fat but when I followed that chart's link and saw that hovering over a point gives the measurements used, I realized I was reading the chart correctly and the leafy greens had measurements of 1.0+ while protein and fat foods were all < 1.0.
View Quote
Link where Marty Kendall discusses satiety calculation:  https://optimisingnutrition.com/2018/10/09/calculating-satiety/. Tl;dr is that lean protein and high fiber foods have the highest satiety
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 3:56:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
If I can top it with flying fish roe
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 4:22:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dammit.

I think I'd prefer salmon roe, myself.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 4:25:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Cake is solidly at the bottom.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 8:11:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Dammit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dammit.

TBH, I'd really like to swap the sardines for fried oysters and then the smash would be in full effect.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 8:15:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
TBH, I'd really like to swap the sardines for fried oysters and then the smash would be in full effect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dammit.

Stahp
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 9:53:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Link where Marty Kendall discusses satiety calculation:  https://optimisingnutrition.com/2018/10/09/calculating-satiety/. Tl;dr is that lean protein and high fiber foods have the highest satiety
View Quote
Thanks!  That's a fascinating read.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 8:28:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 7:20:06 PM EDT
[#43]
I need to loose weight... what and when do I eat based on those charts?
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'd go to the top right of the satiety vs nutrient density chart and start there, preferably the omnivore table
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 10:48:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 11:24:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I think it's delicious!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think it's delicious!
I found a better brand.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 9:06:51 PM EDT
[#47]
That first image is fucked. Y-axis has mustard greens at the same "keto score" as donuts.

Link Posted: 11/18/2018 8:14:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
You don't need a chart for that.

Look up a TDEE calculator online and get a rough idea how many calories a day you need (set it to sedentary).  Eat 500-1000 calories less a day than you need. Eat actual food and nothing processed.  Do not eat sugar and flour. Recalculate every 10 pounds of weight loss or so.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top