BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 9:11:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just thought of this too. There's got to be an EAM that basically says "Hey F22s in Alaska and all Virginia and Seawolf subs, you are weapons free.  Engage everything"
View Quote
Things like that would come through a supplemental rules of engagement order.  I wouldn't expect that to go through EAM channels.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 9:13:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Things like that would come through a supplemental rules of engagement order.  I wouldn't expect that to go through EAM channels.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just thought of this too. There's got to be an EAM that basically says "Hey F22s in Alaska and all Virginia and Seawolf subs, you are weapons free.  Engage everything"
Oh.

Well I know our attack subs basically go out and try to find and track enemy boomers.  I wonder how many we find each mission. (Obviously we'll never know.) But I bet we could get a few if we wanted.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 11:18:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Think I've read that at some point during the cold war, the soviets had in their plan that if we exceeded them by X amount in capability, they were going to launch as it would have been to lopsided to win without doing so.  Could be a figment of imagination, or someone said something that wasn't true.

Interesting pic
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bb/US_and_USSR_nuclear_stockpiles.svg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
An important thing to keep in mind is second and third order effects of

Today: Single missile from Russia ICBM goes up. We don't know if it was inadvertantly launched, if it's armed, if it was a rogue element, or a calulated precursor to a followup strike. It'll be over the central US in 27 minutes. Mr. President Whiskers...how do you respond?

Nothing? Could have been inadvertantly and not armed. I mean its not like we're at war or anything right now right?

SLBM? How many? Single target or multiple locations? Nuclear decapitation strike? Scary part about them is there's zero thinking due to flight times. Forces a leader to make a ridiculouly fast decision affected 100s of millions of people

ICBM? Again, how many and what purpose? Targeting their nuclear assets? Puts them in a use or lose situation. What are they gonna pick?
These are the questions I have
The answer is MAD.

The Cold War was cool.

Both sides had over 50,000 warheads, so nobody was dumb enough to try anything.
Think I've read that at some point during the cold war, the soviets had in their plan that if we exceeded them by X amount in capability, they were going to launch as it would have been to lopsided to win without doing so.  Could be a figment of imagination, or someone said something that wasn't true.

Interesting pic
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bb/US_and_USSR_nuclear_stockpiles.svg
No.   Don’t be silly.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 11:47:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Just build an AI machine, call it Collosus and give it control over the nukes. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 11:55:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
From the layman’s perspective, It all seems to me that one must assume there is a rational basis for another nation to launch a first strike.

MAD will not happen. No rational nation would dare go for massive strikes on all population centers because we would do it in kind back. That is just suicide. NationsRational Actors don’t commit suicide like that.
View Quote
FIFY, and really consider what the revision is saying.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 12:00:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just build an AI machine, call it Collosus and give it control over the nukes. Problem solved.
View Quote
Or we can call it Mike after the A.I. in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Another story to look up about how close we've come to the nuclear exchange was the Soviet sub we were harrassing off Cuba during the Cuban missile crisis.

The captain on the ship was prepared to fire a nuclear torpedo. By the grace of God someone on board had the authority to overrule him via vote
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 12:26:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 12:29:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
EAMs are for nuclear weapon capable commands. F22s and fast attacks don't carry nuclear weapons.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 12:39:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
EAMs are for nuclear weapon capable commands. F22s and fast attacks don't carry nuclear weapons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought it was for any message you want broadcast to all the forces.

Obviously you'd know better than me.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 12:42:22 PM EDT
[#11]
This was an intresting read.

https://nationalinterest.org/feature/the-soviet-unions-insane-plan-crush-nato-battle-13355
"The United States would greatly surpass that number, of course. America’s nuclear war plans are organized under the Single Integrated Operational Plan (SIOP), which was first created in 1960. Although the SIOP is a tightly guarded secret, some information on the earliest SIOPs has been declassified. These show that, early on in the Cold War, “A full nuclear SIOP strike launched on a preemptive basis would have delivered over 3,200 nuclear weapons to 1,060 targets in the Soviet Union, China, and allied countries in Asia and Europe.” Under the plan, the United States would not distinguish between Communist nations that were at war with the United States and ones that were not (sorry, China)."
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 12:45:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I think 30 minutes is enough to get him in the air.
View Quote
If they had a sub parked off the east coast... it wouldn’t take 30 minutes
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 12:54:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The AGM-129 ACM (Advanced Cruise Missile) was a step in that direction of a stealth missile.
View Quote
Well if that step was made public, I bet we do have one... with all the super secret stuff the .gov does.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 12:55:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This was an intresting read.

https://nationalinterest.org/feature/the-soviet-unions-insane-plan-crush-nato-battle-13355
"The United States would greatly surpass that number, of course. America’s nuclear war plans are organized under the Single Integrated Operational Plan (SIOP), which was first created in 1960. Although the SIOP is a tightly guarded secret, some information on the earliest SIOPs has been declassified. These show that, early on in the Cold War, “A full nuclear SIOP strike launched on a preemptive basis would have delivered over 3,200 nuclear weapons to 1,060 targets in the Soviet Union, China, and allied countries in Asia and Europe.” Under the plan, the United States would not distinguish between Communist nations that were at war with the United States and ones that were not (sorry, China)."
View Quote
That's crazy. Good read
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:18:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If they had a sub parked off the east coast... it wouldn’t take 30 minutes
View Quote
Depressed Trajectory SLBMs:A Technical Evaluation and Arms Control Possibilities
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:59:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I don't think a state actor would first strike on us. But if it is I'd say China.
View Quote
I think there is at least a decent chance some organization will make it look as though an attack by a state actor is threatening us. Iran's attack on the oil fields shows what a nation can do if they want to, not to mention the decades of experience the US and Russia have in third world countries doing the same, but on a smaller scale.

Just think what would happen with a recovered nuke, one of the various ones that have been forgotten or lost over the years. I would hate to see what happens if an arms dealer gets ahold of one. Especially if they are from South Africa.

Pay off a general or two to stage an attack and, well we probably wouldn't be here to know if our response was effective.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 4:25:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I think there is at least a decent chance some organization will make it look as though an attack by a state actor is threatening us. Iran's attack on the oil fields shows what a nation can do if they want to, not to mention the decades of experience the US and Russia have in third world countries doing the same, but on a smaller scale.

Just think what would happen with a recovered nuke, one of the various ones that have been forgotten or lost over the years. I would hate to see what happens if an arms dealer gets ahold of one. Especially if they are from South Africa.

Pay off a general or two to stage an attack and, well we probably wouldn't be here to know if our response was effective.
View Quote
Nuclear weapons have to be serviced regularly to perform correctly. Consider Tritium, a common booster, it has a half life of roughly 13 years. If it's not replaced with fresh Tritium, yields quickly diminish.

Former USSR nukes aren't nearly the threat they used to be. These days most of them probably aren't good for much more than a dirty bomb.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 5:24:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The various scenarios get rehearsed/updated quite often as we've had ~70 years of time to think of what-ifs. President will be given a quick update on the whatfor and presented with a few options ranging from nothing to mad max. He gets to make that decision based on whatever limited data is available at the time

That said, there's been quite a few close calls through those years that we know about (and likely more that's classified). IIRC there was one in the 80s, during Reforger?, that had the only thing standinh between a nuclear exchange was a Russian willing to disobey standing orders. A malfunction in some system indicated a first strike inbound
View Quote
Yeah, just before all that great stuff in 83 with Able Archer. Remember it well. Too bad no one else does.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 5:28:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Or we can call it Mike after the A.I. in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.
View Quote
Mycroft Holmes was his proper name.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 5:46:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 11:37:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Apparently, Jimmy Carter had difficulties understanding the play book (found it to be too complex) and ordered it to be simplified. This allowed for a quicker decision to be made and a more appropriate response to the situation.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 12:09:28 AM EDT
[#23]
This is a great thread.

As for the OP, I think a first strike would come from a rogue like NK of Iran or some such country or ideal that has had a hardon for American life and freedom in general for a very long time.
Much the same as September 11 2001, it took a little time to sort out where the attacks came from and who the initial perps were.

The response did not happen overnight.

Unless it was a multiple ICBM strike where the players who have them would be easily identified I doubt there would be a knee jerk reaction to respond.
If it was USSR or China, it would be obvious and the response would be one that neither country could recover from, they may have the nukes but they do not have the layered defenses that the USA has.
A retaliatory strike would be something that they could not prevent or survive.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 8:23:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Bunch of leftist hand-wringing.  OMG US is so dangerous we will provoke the crazies!!  Disarm so the crazies don't hurt us!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 8:46:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Bunch of leftist hand-wringing.  OMG US is so dangerous we will provoke the crazies!!  Disarm so the crazies don't hurt us!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I had a different takeaway.

"That's fucking awesome. Those faggots don't have that. We'd wreck shop."
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 10:44:52 AM EDT
[#26]
I don’t know if the US has any super stealthy, don’t-know-it’s-there-until-it-goes-boom nukes, but I’ll bet we could make them if we wanted to (and probably should).

ETA probably conventional cruisemissles too.

“What was that? Did you hear something?”
BOOM
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 10:40:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So the football has several different options for launching an attack. How the heck do you make a decision that important in what I'm sure would be a very small time frame?

Do the responses utilize subs or ICBMs? If both are available, which gets picked?

Any good books on how our nukes are setup for either a first strike or a counter?
View Quote
Imagine that it's 1985 and the Cold War goes hot. In the opening moments the Soviets use a nuclear torpedo to sink an American CVN. How do we retaliate?

An hour later, several tactical nuclear missiles take out purely military facilities around Europe. What do we do?

And 6 hours after that several key US Navy bases in the continental US are hit by tactical nukes from submarines as well?

That's how nuclear strategy plays out. Nuclear weapons give you an incredible advantage in war but the danger is you will spark a retaliation chain which leads to everyone's destruction. Strategic nuclear weapons aimed at American or Soviet population centers would have certainly resulted in a full scale retaliation. The danger was that someone could have used tactical nukes out of desperation which would lead to retaliation, leading to counter retaliations until the strategic nukes started flying.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 10:50:34 PM EDT
[#28]
No names or anything, but I know someone that played a role with the football. I think there were certain codes that needed to be punched in that represented coordinates. I believe the codes changed daily or as often as they needed to depending on the real or perceived threat.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top