Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/29/2019 1:59:45 PM EDT
So the football has several different options for launching an attack. How the heck do you make a decision that important in what I'm sure would be a very small time frame?

Do the responses utilize subs or ICBMs? If both are available, which gets picked?

Any good books on how our nukes are setup for either a first strike or a counter?
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 2:01:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Randomly pick one because the world will be over if it is ever used.

It really doesn’t matter
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 2:04:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It really doesn’t matter
View Quote
Well you blew the first post. That's not true.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 2:05:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It really doesn’t matter
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 2:05:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Run exercises of various scenarios.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 2:11:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So the football has several different options for launching an attack. How the heck do you make a decision that important in what I'm sure would be a very small time frame?

Do the responses utilize subs or ICBMs? If both are available, which gets picked?

Any good books on how our nukes are setup for either a first strike or a counter?
View Quote
I know almost nothing about the subject, but didn't it become evident more than 20 years ago (for example, certainly by the time that Bill Clinton effectively gave away precision ballistic missile launch and aiming technology to China in 1998), that with increased precision of aiming, along with MIRV technology, that ICBMs either had become or would soon become "use it or lose it" assets, because they would likely be destroyed in their silos by a massive precision attack, whereas the stealth of SLBMs would protect them from a first strike, and would be available for follow-on strikes as necessary?
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 2:16:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think the Navy plan involves carving a giant cock and balls into the enemy landmass which the aliens will be able to see from orbit when they come visit our dead world.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 2:17:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I know almost nothing about the subject, but didn't it become evident more than 20 years ago (for example, certainly by the time that Bill Clinton effectively gave away precision ballistic missile launch and aiming technology to China in 1998), that with increased precision of aiming, along with MIRV technology, that ICBMs either had become or would soon become "use it or lose it" assets, because they would likely be destroyed in their silos by a massive precision attack, whereas the stealth of SLBMs would protect them from a first strike, and would be available for follow-on strikes as necessary?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That makes a lot of sense.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:24:07 PM EDT
[#8]
To hit our silos first in large scale, I'd think at any rate we would be able to intercept some of the inbounds or launch before impact. Takes a bit for them to reach the center CONUS.

ICBMs are more of a deadman switch or to hit a country that doesnt have the capes to stop one. Subs are the real first strike. Time to impact would be fast. I still wouldnt discount an aircraft overhead to deliver em the old fashion way.

I just want to carry the football.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#9]
If you worked in the top of the program - you would understand that the question is not one of gaming.  Its all much simpler than you imagine.

<---- Worked the WH side of the program.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#10]
My HS library actually used to have a book called "Strategic Nuclear Targeting"

It was a pretty interesting read.

Would recommend it to OP.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:28:59 PM EDT
[#11]
How about a nice game of chess...
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:29:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
To hit our silos first in large scale, I'd think at any rate we would be able to intercept some of the inbounds or launch before impact. Takes a bit for them to reach the center CONUS.

ICBMs are more of a deadman switch or to hit a country that doesnt have the capes to stop one. Subs are the real first strike. Time to impact would be fast. I still wouldnt discount an aircraft overhead to deliver em the old fashion way.
You are almost completely incorrect.
I just want to carry the football.

Why?  Its not a glamour duty.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:30:06 PM EDT
[#13]
There's a 98% chance that the President will choose the WOPR solution.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:31:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you worked in the top of the program - you would understand that the question is not one of gaming.  Its all much simpler than you imagine.

View Quote
game theory != gaming.

game theory is a mathematical approach to decision-making.  along with the prisoners' dilemma, one of the most basic games in game theory is chicken.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:33:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I remember that Sleepy Joe lost his launch codes for about a week.  Biden is Worse than Useless.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:36:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

game theory != gaming.

game theory is a mathematical approach to decision-making.  along with the prisoners' dilemma, one of the most basic games in game theory is chicken.
View Quote
With games - you generally have time and (fairly) fully informed perspective and facts.

Not so in the real world.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:36:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Can you speak in broad generalities to it?
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:37:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
With games - you generally have time and (fairly) fully informed perspective and facts.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

game theory != gaming.

That's what I was saying in my OP.

Not a lot of time for a decision.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:38:59 PM EDT
[#19]
COTTONMOUTH

TRINITY

JERICHO
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:39:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is really no reason to do so.  Its a credible deterrent that works, can work and will work.  Much is done to ensure that.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:40:08 PM EDT
[#21]
There are pre planned strikes depending on the situation.

Nuclear Strategy and Targeting Doctrine  PDF
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:41:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's absolutely not true. Bill Clinton did not give away that technology...

He sold it to them in exchange for campaign donations.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:41:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
There are pre planned strikes depending on the situation.
View Quote
Yup. By country, and within that country there are options
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:42:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There is really no reason to do so.  Its a credible deterrent that works, can work and will work.  Much is done to ensure that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay, I respect where you're coming from. I get it.

I'm less curious about the day to day, but the ideas of what to do when it's time. Broad theories.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:44:40 PM EDT
[#26]
SKY KING SKY KING DO NOT ANSWER
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:44:44 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm just here to read comments and hopefully learn recipes.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:47:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm just here to read comments and hopefully learn recipes.  
View Quote
I'm trying to keep it very broad on purpose.

Even general theories no country officially adopts
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:50:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm less curious about the day to day, but the ideas of what to do when it's time. Broad theories.
View Quote
If you consider what is going on in any named scenario where this would apply - its not as if its a broad, 5-page menu of good possibilities.  Its about to become the worst day imaginable.  Its wide open, time-pressured and imperfect.  I'll give you 60 seconds to ask questions and to make up your mind.  Some of my responses may be partial, "I don't know" or reflect some conflicting information.

Annnnnnnd go!
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:57:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If you consider what is going on in any named scenario where this would apply - its not as if its a broad, 5-page menu of good possibilities.  Its about to become the worst day imaginable.  Its wide open, time-pressured and imperfect.  I'll give you 60 seconds to ask questions and to make up your mind.  Some of my responses may be partial, "I don't know" or reflect some conflicting information.

Annnnnnnd go!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Annnnnnnd go!
ICBM or SLBM?

Moderate response or nuke the shit out of everything?

That's really all I'm curious about
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:00:03 PM EDT
[#31]
The various scenarios get rehearsed/updated quite often as we've had ~70 years of time to think of what-ifs. President will be given a quick update on the whatfor and presented with a few options ranging from nothing to mad max. He gets to make that decision based on whatever limited data is available at the time

That said, there's been quite a few close calls through those years that we know about (and likely more that's classified). IIRC there was one in the 80s, during Reforger?, that had the only thing standinh between a nuclear exchange was a Russian willing to disobey standing orders. A malfunction in some system indicated a first strike inbound
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:03:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
ICBM or SLBM?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Annnnnnnd go!
ICBM or SLBM?

Leaders set goals.  Less so methods.

To the second - leaders take the long view.  There is (notionally) a downside to any and all significant actions.  Its just one planet.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:05:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
ICBM or SLBM?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Annnnnnnd go!
ICBM or SLBM?

Odds are, the president is about to be ash, so he pretty much has to turn it over to one of those AACP flights.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:06:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The various scenarios get rehearsed/updated quite often as we've had ~70 years of time to think of what-ifs. President will be given a quick update on the whatfor and presented with a few options ranging from nothing to mad max. He gets to make that decision based on whatever limited data is available at the time

That said, there's been quite a few close calls through those years that we know about (and likely more that's classified). IIRC there was one in the 80s, during Reforger?, that had the only thing standinh between a nuclear exchange was a Russian willing to disobey standing orders. A malfunction in some system indicated a first strike inbound
View Quote
September, 1983.  Russian system problem.  There was no Reforger connection that I'm aware of.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:07:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
I read about that story. Cuba I think.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Leaders set goals.  Less so methods.

To the second - leaders take the long view.  There is (notionally) a downside to any and all significant actions.  Its just one planet.
View Quote
Cool. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:07:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Odds are, the president is about to be ash, so he pretty much has to turn it over to one of those AACP flights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Annnnnnnd go!
ICBM or SLBM?

I think 30 minutes is enough to get him in the air.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:08:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Annnnnnnd go!
ICBM or SLBM?

I've never heard of or known anyone to believe in such a "turn it over" approach.  Even in the most difficult time crunch.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:12:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
September, 1983.  Russian system problem.  There was no Reforger connection that I'm aware of.  
View Quote
Yep, thats the one. Thanks! I'm positive I remember reading that Reforger had some influence on the politics of the event...just raised tensions/concerns/higher threat levels or something along those lines, but couldn't remember offhand if we were in the middle of it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:13:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Think the coolest thing about silos is that they are far enough from one another to require a nuk each to destroy,  but close enough that the blast from one might take out other incoming,  forcing the opponent to either be extremely timely,  or wait between hits for the dust to clear.

Dont know if this is true.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:14:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Dont know if this is any good but looks interesting:

Eric Schlosser

Command and Control: Nuclear Weapons, the Damascus Accident, and the Illusion of Safety

...that has existed since the dawn of the nuclear age: How do you deploy weapons of mass destruction without being destroyed by them? That question has never been resolved—and Schlosser reveals how the combination of human fallibility and technological complexity still poses a grave risk to mankind. While the harms of global warming increasingly dominate the news, the equally dangerous yet more immediate threat of nuclear weapons has been largely forgotten.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:15:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Rubble, gravel, or dust.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:15:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Think the coolest thing about silos is that they are far enough from one another to require a nuk each to destroy,  but close enough that the blast from one might take out other incoming,  forcing the opponent to either be extremely timely,  or wait between hits for the dust to clear.

View Quote
THAT'S the type of cool shit I'm curious about.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:18:20 PM EDT
[#44]
WOPR has to learn

Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:18:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
ABLE ARCHER 83. NATO C2 exercise.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:20:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Yep, thats the one. Thanks! I'm positive I remember reading that Reforger had some influence on the politics of the event...just raised tensions/concerns/higher threat levels or something along those lines, but couldn't remember offhand if we were in the middle of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IIRC it was one Russian military officer who made the call that it was a recurring system false and made the one-man decision to quash it.

Reforger is something the Sovs set their watches by.  No drama.  Plenty of snoop bait for the SMLM guys.  Sovs didn't get worked up by them.  The scenarios were repetitive.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:20:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm fascinated by this kinda stuff too. I really want to make it to the tourable silos eventually.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:23:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I've never heard of or known anyone to believe in such a "turn it over" approach.  Even in the most difficult time crunch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Annnnnnnd go!
ICBM or SLBM?

Multiple SLBM warheads are inbound to DC.

With warning and confirmation, 10 minutes.

Max.

Use it or lose it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:24:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm fascinated by this kinda stuff too. I really want to make it to the tourable silos eventually.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The XKVs are a fucking rabbit hole I've gone down too.

I think NK might have launched on HI and that "mistake" wasn't one, but our countermeasures worked correctly.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Multiple SLBM warheads are inbound to DC.

With warning and confirmation, 10 minutes.

Max.

Use it or lose it.
View Quote
"Use it or lose it" - to whom  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top