Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2022 5:03:52 PM EDT
SO I am running Anycubic Mega X's with .4 nozzles, only ones they offer are of course .4, there is no way I will attempt to open them up from .016 to .024 with a drill bit worst case I will wire edm them to size....that will be a pain.

SO what all is interchangeable with the different chyna models/manufacturers'? Mine looks like this

I know alot of plasma cutters share tips etc
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

ETA...TOPIC NAME EDIT...@Bansil needs some future teaching and maybe some newbies can benefit.....will update tomorrow with more questions of plastic voodoo
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 5:11:41 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a good bit of interchangeability with the printer nozzles too, any V5/V6 nozzle should work.  Here is a pretty good like with info about different nozzle types and what testing he has done, though it is a bit outdated now.

https://3dprintbeginner.com/ultimate-3d-printer-nozzle-comparison/

Link Posted: 11/21/2022 5:16:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Really curious about .6 nozzles now

ETA for $8 prime it's worth it to try hopefully get them on the 23rd
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 5:41:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Just make sure you don't run abrasives through brass.

You can wear them out in no time flat.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just make sure you don't run abrasives through brass.

You can wear them out in no time flat.
View Quote

True Dat I have been doing PLA mostly, I got a lot of parts to make. If I can cut time down it will be glorius
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 7:38:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Really curious about .6 nozzles now

ETA for $8 prime it's worth it to try hopefully get them on the 23rd
View Quote

It can really speed things up.  There were a few parts I ran that I switched to a 1.0 nozzle.  Sure it's not as refined looking but for what I was looking for time was more important than outside finish quality.  It would need something capable of heating filament much faster to go any bigger or faster than what I did though.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 9:52:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It can really speed things up.  There were a few parts I ran that I switched to a 1.0 nozzle.  Sure it's not as refined looking but for what I was looking for time was more important than outside finish quality.  It would need something capable of heating filament much faster to go any bigger or faster than what I did though.
View Quote

That's a good point.

OP, check to see what wattach your heater cartridge is and consider upgrading if it is low. I know some Enders only come with a 25W cartridge. Prusas come with a 40W, and I recommend upgrading to a 50W. It really helps with preheat times and allows for super high volumetric flow rates.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 11:06:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Specs call 40/45W should have nozzles tomorrow after work for long holiday weekend

So poking around in cura, saw factory settings for speed, layer ht etc....etc....should be interesting journey
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Okay, trying to wrap my head around the bigger nozzle etc. and how to make it work

I have been using G/M codes for a long time with cnc mill/lathes, edm, lasers, routers, plasma table....blagh....blagh

I would normal edit a .pst to give me different results if not nominal, by adjusting the variables

So went exploring my 3d printer G code to see what the extra codes are, it looks like a minus number E-2 is filament retracting and then an E.12345 in a feed move is the length of filament it extrudes going to the next point.

SO I use Cura, and it is set up using the Anycubic Mega X with .4mm nozzle setting, which was designed for this (kind of like a .pst etc for specific machines)

I know the nozzle will be about a 1/3 bigger and thus will need more filament/thicker layers etc. to work.

What is the variable in Cura to change this?

Speed is set to 55mm/s and my specs say up to 100mm/s although 60mm/s is optimum, going from 55mm/s to 60mm/s nets me about 11.800 more inches a minute, that seems like a big change alone.

55mm/s = 2.165in/s
60mm/s =2.362in/s

2.362-2.165 = .197 x 60s =11.82" is my thinking correct?
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 6:14:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Okay, trying to wrap my head around the bigger nozzle etc. and how to make it work

I have been using G/M codes for a long time with cnc mill/lathes, edm, lasers, routers, plasma table....blagh....blagh

I would normal edit a .pst to give me different results if not nominal, by adjusting the variables

So went exploring my 3d printer G code to see what the extra codes are, it looks like a minus number E-2 is filament retracting and then an E.12345 in a feed move is the length of filament it extrudes going to the next point.

SO I use Cura, and it is set up using the Anycubic Mega X with .4mm nozzle setting, which was designed for this (kind of like a .pst etc for specific machines)

I know the nozzle will be about a 1/3 bigger and thus will need more filament/thicker layers etc. to work.

What is the variable in Cura to change this?

Speed is set to 55mm/s and my specs say up to 100mm/s although 60mm/s is optimum, going from 55mm/s to 60mm/s nets me about 11.800 more inches a minute, that seems like a big change alone.

55mm/s = 2.165in/s
60mm/s =2.362in/s

2.362-2.165 = .197 x 60s =11.82" is my thinking correct?
View Quote

If I remember Cura correctly there should be a setting toward the top that starts out with "Generic PLA - 0.4mm Nozzle".  In that menu I think you can change the nozzle size.  

You will want to change several settings though, or make sure they are in a range that makes sense with that nozzle.  I think I used different line width than stock, but I don't remember.  It will take some experimenting on your end to get the results what you are looking for.  I think speeds, line width and layer thickness I bumped up.  Something like .72 width and .35 or .4 layer height.  I don't have the file or cura in front of me.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 9:51:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Not sure if anything these guys have matches up
https://store.micro-swiss.com/collections/nozzles
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 3:41:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I found it at lunch, changing it to .6 knocked 1/4 of the time off, went to 65mm/s and knocked even more off it

It went from 2 hrs to 1 hr 5 min.

This should be a game changer when I get it dilled in.

Nozzles are out for delivery.

Thank you all for the help!
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 3:50:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I found it at lunch, changing it to .6 knocked 1/4 of the time off, went to 65mm/s and knocked even more off it

It went from 2 hrs to 1 hr 5 min.

This should be a game changer when I get it dilled in.

Nozzles are out for delivery.

Thank you all for the help!
View Quote

Keep in mind you typically increase layer height as well.  I know in Prusaslicer, 0.4mm nozzles use 0.2mm for "quality" prints, and for a 0.6mm nozzle, 0.3mm layers are "quality" prints.

Most of my functional prints (which is basically all I print these days) are 0.3mm layers or 0.4mm layers, or some combination of those (variable layer height).
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 4:05:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 4:53:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 9:18:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Yours looks like the V6 nozzles.

Most Creality machines use MK8 nozzles.

Pro tip don't buy cheap nozzles. I've found the Triangle Labs nozzles from Aliexpress are fantastic for the price. I buy the nickel plated copper nozzles from them.

When I do this I don't have to adjust my Z offset if I switch between 0.6mm nozzles to 0.4mm for gun prints.

The cheap nozzles aren't very consistent and you have to adjust your z offset every time you switch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top