BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:34:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ummmm....am I the first to think it was likely the US?  Removes Russian bargaining chip, teaches the Germans a lesson, increases reliance on the US.  Also, we're probably the only interested party that has the technical capability to get it done.
View Quote

My first thought was 'it's us.'
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:34:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Why wouldnt russia simply turn it off vs breaking a line?
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:37:53 AM EDT
[#3]
If I was betting money I'd bet escalation from here is a certainty.

At least one side doesn't give a single solitary fuck about their populace or that of their allies.

The US treasury 10 year bond will break a recent record when smart investors cogitate how nuts the decision makers in this freak show truly are.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:39:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Hell we could have had the Navy emplace charges weeks after the pipeline was laid and remote detonated whenever it was necessary.  I am not saying we did or that is how but it is not a far fetched concept.
View Quote
I don't think Baltic nations would do this to their own gas supply, I don't know why Russia would do it vs just flipping some switches on their end.

I don't think Ukraine has the ability to do this.   I guess anyone could hire an energy services company, they certainly have the ability, I don't know if they would do it...maybe but I doubt it.

That leaves a few other European navies, and the US.  

The US has the most experience with deep sea exploitation of infrastructure.  We have built multiple dedicated submarines for the job.

This is kinda wild, I have no idea what really happened but if it's both pipelines the chance that it's random failure is approaching zero.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:43:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:44:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's definitely leaking.  Danish F16s overflew the area (near the Danish island of Bornholm) and reportedly saw "bubbling" on the surface.
View Quote

Definitely want to be mindful when flying over stuff like that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:46:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Didn't Russia already stop shipping gas through that pipeline months ago?
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:47:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, that must have been one big ass fart.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:47:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
As you know methane is a major greenhouse gas.   Best to flare it.

Plus that will look awesome at night!

On the plus side those F16s got really good mileage while they were loitering
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:49:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If I was betting money I'd bet escalation from here is a certainty.

At least one side doesn't give a single solitary fuck about their populace or that of their allies.

The US treasury 10 year bond will break a recent record when smart investors cogitate how nuts the decision makers in this freak show truly are.
View Quote

Broken. US 10 year bond 3.92 and rising.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:51:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
As you know methane is a major greenhouse gas.   Best to flare it.

Plus that will look awesome at night!
View Quote

Plus one for that.

I remember that the Brits dropped napalm on a oil slick from a tanker that had broken up off the coast of Franch to burn off as much of the oil while it was still at sea before it reached the English Coast.

When in Doubt??  Kill It With Fire!!!

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:54:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:59:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Video of bubbles here.

Quoted:
https://64.media.tumblr.com/3000517d5d4ec1ba92ca7eda8c966315/tumblr_p0a6msQfn41wzw0ebo1_500.gifv
View Quote

Quoted:

Thread Winner right there!!!

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:00:53 AM EDT
[#14]
If there's a gas leak about half way in the sea, doesn't that mean someone's getting gas delivered? I'd assume the Russian's would have just shut off the gas going through the pipeline at Slavyanskaya Compressor Station
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:03:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The whole pipeline, all 700 miles and 45 inches in diameter of it, drained from 105 bar to 7 bar? Overnight?!

That's a helluva leak.
View Quote

That's not how pressure works
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:05:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Assume that any such report is propaganda.  Lies.

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:08:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If there's a gas leak about half way in the sea, doesn't that mean someone's getting gas delivered? I'd assume the Russian's would have just shut off the gas going through the pipeline at Slavyanskaya Compressor Station
View Quote
Pipelines are pressure vessels by nature.  Just because there was pressure doesn't mean there was flow..doesn't mean there wasn't either.

I'm guessing here but they might keep it pressurized to maintain system integrity and act as a leak detector.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:09:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Danish government is lying?
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:14:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:14:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:22:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Huh. Not looking like a simple pipeline failure.  They go boom on land...I can't see how they go boom that big underwater.

Any of our energy business people shed some light?
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:26:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ummmm....am I the first to think it was likely the US?  Removes Russian bargaining chip, teaches the Germans a lesson, increases reliance on the US.  Also, we're probably the only interested party that has the technical capability to get it done.
View Quote

Maybe that'll be the Russian claim - "It wasn't us; it was the Yanks!"
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:41:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Maybe that'll be the Russian claim - "It wasn't us; it was the Yanks!"
View Quote
Unless I misunderstand, Russia is the sole source of gas shipped through those pipes.  They control the supply.  

Why not just shut it off?

I would think we're beyond caring about contracts and law suits at this point...

I'm stuck on this viewpoint..I realize..but I think some element of this administration has a raging hard on for destroying Russia or at least Putin.  Not just defending Ukraine.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:42:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Just fly real fast through the cloud.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So if you dropped some flares in the plume, what would happen

Just fly real fast through the cloud.

Like this?

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:44:16 AM EDT
[#25]
View Quote
The B1 version is better.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:45:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You don’t think the USA has the capability to sabotage that line?  It’s so publicly known that American divers exit via torpedo tubes that the navy has shown how it’s done on tv.

And deep diving capabilities even in US commercial business is well known.  

So why isn’t the US capable of doing this?

And the US does what it wants when it wants.  This has been exhibited time and time again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You don’t think the USA has the capability to sabotage that line?  It’s so publicly known that American divers exit via torpedo tubes that the navy has shown how it’s done on tv.

And deep diving capabilities even in US commercial business is well known.  

So why isn’t the US capable of doing this?

And the US does what it wants when it wants.  This has been exhibited time and time again.

Re-read the part in red:

And other actors with something to gain (Ukraine, OPEC nations, USA) probably either don’t have the undersea capability to sabotage the line, or are strong enough European allies to probably not want to do this.

I mean obviously we have reason to “want” to do this, and we undoubtedly have the capability to do so, but I’d frankly be shocked if Biden made the order to do this unilaterally, without at least tacit approval by German or EU partners.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:46:26 AM EDT
[#27]
No US denial?

Bada-boom.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:52:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:56:56 AM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:57:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's definitely leaking.  Danish F16s overflew the area (near the Danish island of Bornholm) and reportedly saw "bubbling" on the surface.

yeah no shit eh
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:59:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

China also comes to mind.

Widens rift between EU and RU, does long term economic harm to both, doesn't hurt them much at all, encourages Russia to look elsewhere for long term customers.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Well, apparently Biden said he'd take out Nord stream:

Looks like we found our saboteur.
View Quote

If I was the international community, I would find those words pretty damning
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:10:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Unless I misunderstand, Russia is the sole source of gas shipped through those pipes.  They control the supply.  

I would think we're beyond caring about contracts and law suits at this point...

I'm stuck on this viewpoint..I realize..but I think some element of this administration has a raging hard on for destroying Russia or at least Putin.  Not just defending Ukraine.
View Quote

Didn't the Russians have a kill-order out on Soros for undermining the ruble years ago?

A lot of the world-wide drama in the last few years does seem to fit his MO.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:16:51 AM EDT
[#34]
3 different explosions, one registering a 2.3 richter. Russia already salty about the pipeline and fucking with it, Biden threatened to "shut it down" back in February before we convinced Germany to give it up.

The other major pipeline runs through Ukraine...Russia has a history of fucking with undersea cables with their subs, we have entire deep sea explosives teams constantly engaged in classified training...I'm leaning towards NATO (us), but who really knows.

One thing is for sure: Germany is getting fucked
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:16:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Just like WE shouldn't have put all our eggs in China's basket

Bunch of dumb F politicians all over the place!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Should've never put all of their eggs in Putin's basket

Just like WE shouldn't have put all our eggs in China's basket

Bunch of dumb F politicians all over the place!
They're not dumb, they're evil.  They are getting rich selling our future out.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:18:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Natural causes

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
anyone in Europe who thinks they are getting a drop of energy from Russia this winter are the biggest fools in a sea of fools.
View Quote

Not exactly. They will get rebranded gas from russia, from India or China or whoever at a 300% markup. Hooray.  

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:22:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

If they just shut it off, it makes them the "bad guys".

If they sabotage it - and then blame it on the US - it makes the US the "bad guys", and sows division between Europe and America.

Quoted:

If I was the international community, I would find those words pretty damning

Yep - And it gives further credence to any claim the Russians make about the US being responsible for this leak.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So's the Rus

Attachment Attached File

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/kremlin-sabotage-cannot-be-ruled-out-reason-nord-stream-damage-2022-09-27/
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:23:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I find this a bit…perplexing.

Doesn’t make sense for Russia to attack their own pipeline; they can just shut it off (which it sounds like they had more or less done anyway?). Destroying it only takes both leverage and potential much-needed revenue away from them.

A genuine accident / unforeseen consequence of shutting it down (or whatever) would seem to be a possibility, but the Germans seem pretty confident it was an intentional attack.

And other actors with something to gain (Ukraine, OPEC nations, USA) probably either don’t have the undersea capability to sabotage the line, or are strong enough European allies to probably not want to do this.
View Quote

If they shut it off, it’s a “fuck you” move. If it “breaks”, it’s…

Attachment Attached File

TC
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:25:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
7 Bar is 101 PSI (7x14.5) , how deep is the pipeline?
View Quote
There's a hole,
There's a hole,
There's a hole in the bottom of the sea!
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:26:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Gonna be a cold winter in Europe, I hope their parlour stoves are ready.
View Quote

No nut coal for you!

TC
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:26:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If they shut it off, it's a "fuck you" move. If it "breaks", it's

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/197999/4D5FA7ED-02B7-4A4C-9B9E-8BEA79E07FA7_jpe-2541216.JPG

TC
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I find this a bit perplexing.

Doesn't make sense for Russia to attack their own pipeline; they can just shut it off (which it sounds like they had more or less done anyway?). Destroying it only takes both leverage and potential much-needed revenue away from them.

A genuine accident / unforeseen consequence of shutting it down (or whatever) would seem to be a possibility, but the Germans seem pretty confident it was an intentional attack.

And other actors with something to gain (Ukraine, OPEC nations, USA) probably either don't have the undersea capability to sabotage the line, or are strong enough European allies to probably not want to do this.

If they shut it off, it's a "fuck you" move. If it "breaks", it's

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/197999/4D5FA7ED-02B7-4A4C-9B9E-8BEA79E07FA7_jpe-2541216.JPG

TC

Nord 1 already shut down in August for Maint - never came back and Russia indicated it wouldn't until "collective west" lifts sanctions

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#44]
If we had a media with any balls they would track these people down now an get a opinion from them now on tape.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:27:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

If they just shut it off, it makes them the "bad guys".

If they sabotage it - and then blame it on the US - it makes the US the "bad guys", and sows division between Europe and America.

Yep - And it gives further credence to any claim the Russians make about the US being responsible for this leak.
View Quote

Russia is repeatedly threatening to use nuclear weapons - I really don't think they give a fuck about looking like the bad guy.

Given their difficulty maintaining or building this type of infrastructure, especially under sanctions, it would not make any sense for them to do it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:30:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Russia is repeatedly threatening to use nuclear weapons - I really don't think they give a fuck about looking like the bad guy.

Given their difficulty maintaining or building this type of infrastructure, especially under sanctions, it would not make any sense for them to do it.
View Quote

Definitely the US benefits the most from this pipeline being down. That doesn't definitely mean we did it, but I'm leaning that way until we know more.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Definitely the US benefits the most from this pipeline being down. That doesn't definitely mean we did it, but I'm leaning that way until we know more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. Me too.

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:33:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Probably Sabotage!

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:35:16 AM EDT
[#49]
With the slowdown (and probably stoppage) of gas out of the fields in Russia, they will be forced to shutdown the wells, or let them be damaged (same thing, really).
This happed before and it took 30 years to get it all working again.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:35:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Shame no one tried to warn them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Should've never put all of their eggs in Putin's basket

Shame no one tried to warn them.
Now that's funny.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top