Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2023 4:36:22 PM EDT
Hello Computer Gods!

I've got a question about notebook computers that are run off AC power all the time and battery death.

Have a relative who to know knowledge has never actually used her Dell notebook computer ON the battery.  She basically sits at her little desk at home and does her stuff.

Is there some secret to that a notebook that is being used for all intents & purposes as a desk top doesn't burn out the battery?

Thanks for the help from those who know!

Link Posted: 5/15/2023 5:27:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Ni-Cad (old school) batteries did not like a constant charge.

Then Nickel Metal Hydride came out.  They were better but still not perfect.

Now we have Lithium Ion and they are the best so far at sitting with a constant charge, but still it is a good idea to exercise them once in a while.

What kind does your laptop have?
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 6:40:22 AM EDT
[#2]
We haven't had that problem. I have a notebook that's been plugged in since Nov 2012 and my wife's since Oct 2011. Both batteries are still fine. The couple we've had during that time that didn't stay plugged in or used a lot only had the batteries last a couple years.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 11:09:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Some Laptops have BIOS settings and/or battery monitoring that will adjust for use. Dell also has "long life batteries" for some models.
There is a diagnostic to check the battery life.

Laptop Battery Myths (Official Dell Tech Support)

(F12 on boot ?)
ePSA Pre Boot System Assessment Dell Overview (Official Dell Tech Support) - UPDATED
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 11:43:16 AM EDT
[#4]
How old is the laptop?  I have 2 from 2014, one used exclusively on AC, the other sat for long periods of time not used, and both had batteries that puked after 6-7 years.

I tore apart the batteries and both had cells that kept a charge.  Makes me wonder if a charging circuit or voltage regulator died on both of them?
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 11:46:38 AM EDT
[#5]
My Dell work laptop allowed me to download software that would turn off the AC power after a full charge, allow the. battery to deplete to a certain level, and then charge back up again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top