Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2020 9:04:16 AM EDT
I am wanting to get into reading and I see people mention a lot of books that I have never heard of or read. It would be swell if I could get a list of books that were informational, encouraged thought, or even historically based. I only recently heard of the gulag book and it sounds interesting because I don’t know much about soviet Russia. I have the art of war. I have read a ton of memoirs, psychology books(Stanford prison experiment, etc), and some war books. So in short, what books would you recommend to help me grow intellectually? Thank you for your time.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 9:40:32 AM EDT
[#1]
"the gulag book" is extremely thick, slow going and hard reading. Not a good place to start.

One book that had me interested the while time, was "Issac's Storm" which is a book about the hurricane that destroyed Galveston back in 1900. After lots of population growth but before people had a handle on predicting/danger of hurricanes.

Amazon has it in paperback. They seem to have gone full-retard with Kindle price though.

Link Posted: 8/4/2020 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Go search John Stryker Meyer
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 11:36:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Do a search for "The 100 Books everyone should read" You will find several lists tending to focus on certain genres of stories. Look through them and start picking the ones that interest you out and read them.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 9:43:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Anything by Thomas Sowell.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 3:09:13 PM EDT
[#6]
"The Gulag Archipelago" is a good, but hefty read. I'd recommend to anyone who wants to dip into Soviet life (especially the people who are illogically obsessed with communism) that same author's work "One Day In The Life of Ivan Denisovich". It's comparable and much shorter.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 9:26:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I just finished reading "Endurance" about the Shackleton Expidition to Antarctica. It was a great book.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 9:55:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"The Gulag Archipelago" is a good, but hefty read. I'd recommend to anyone who wants to dip into Soviet life (especially the people who are illogically obsessed with communism) that same author's work "One Day In The Life of Ivan Denisovich". It's comparable and much shorter.
View Quote

Reading “One day in the life”, right now. One of my favorites, reread it every few years.

Next is either Frankenstein or Dracula. (again)
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 10:01:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I am about halfway through "John Adams" by David McCullough. It's a big book (about 700 pages) but really detailed and am learning a ton about an absolutely incredible man that was key in establishing this country.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 6:18:19 PM EDT
[#10]
21 Letters on Life and Its Challenges
Charles Handy
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 4:24:29 PM EDT
[#12]
"Shadow of the Winter Palace" by Edward Crankshaw. A very accessible once-over of Russian history to and through the Revolution. Not as heavy as "Gulag Archipelago" (which everyone ought to read), could be viewed as sort of a prologue to it-- Follow with "The Guns of August" by Barbara Tuchman. At the end you will know a hell of a lot more about why the world is the way it is today, and they are all damn good reads. May as well throw "Nicholas and Alexandra" on the pile too. I swear, science fiction has nothing on Russian history for weird plot twists--
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 4:39:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
"Shadow of the Winter Palace" by Edward Crankshaw. A very accessible once-over of Russian history to and through the Revolution. Not as heavy as "Gulag Archipelago" (which everyone ought to read), could be viewed as sort of a prologue to it-- Follow with "The Guns of August" by Barbara Tuchman. At the end you will know a hell of a lot more about why the world is the way it is today, and they are all damn good reads. May as well throw "Nicholas and Alexandra" on the pile too. I swear, science fiction has nothing on Russian history for weird plot twists--
View Quote

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

The March of Folly

Also very good.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#14]
"The Kings Depart"    How and why did Germany embrace Hitler and the Nazis?   You'll find out in this excellent book about the Treaty of Versailles, it's effect and conditions in Germany following WW1.  Should be required reading in every High School in the US.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 6:38:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

The March of Folly

Also very good.
View Quote

Second on March of Folly. The lady absolutely went scorched Earth on the politicians responsible for the Vietnam War. Democrat and Republican alike.

RIP Ms. Tuchman.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 1:10:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Walter Isaacson has written a good number of very excellent biographies, including such people as Benjamin Franklin, Steve Jobs, Albert Einstein, Henry Kissinger and Leonardo Da Vinci.

At the very minimum, that's a wide range of characters from which to choose.

I'd start with Franklin.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top