Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2018 7:17:33 AM EDT
-Nikon is making (or branding) their own like of XQD cards, as it looks like for the time being it’s their way to go.  The usual memory sizes and prices for XQD stuff is expected.

-500mm f/5.6 PF lens is $3600 MSRP.  Specs look pretty awesome on it.  Weighs around the same as a 70-200mm f/2.8, 4 stops VR, zero distortion with the TC14E III, 237mm long, etc.  Kinda want.

-Nikon Z7:  Honestly, it’s an upgraded gripped D850 in a much smaller package.  New EXPEED 6, 493 point AF with 90% sensor coverage, 5 axis in body stabilization, hybrid AF system, built in true wireless tethering, USB-C battery charging, CF Express ready with firmware update, heavily weather sealed, nearly all magnesium body, etc.

$3400 or $4000 with 24-70mm f/4

-Nikon Z6:  FX 24.5 MP, 273 point hybrid AF, 12fps, 100-51200 ISO before expanding, the rest same as above.  Much less expensive.  $2000 body or $2600 with 24-70mm f/4

-Nikon FTZ adapter.  No change in focal legnth or aperture.  Gives F stop lenses 3 axis VR if it’s a VR lens.  Regular VR for lenses without.  Weather sealed.  $250 or $150 if purchased with Z camera.

Z lenses:
Now: 35mm f/1.8, 24-70mm f/4, 50mm f/1.8

2019:
58mm f/0.95
20mm f/1.8
85mm f/1.8
24-70mm f/2.8
70-200mm f/2.8
14-30mm f/4

2020:
50mm f/1.2
24mm f/1.8
14-24mm f/2.8
3x unlisted.

Link Posted: 8/23/2018 7:26:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Nothing really excites me with either of these cameras. Did they improve on video any?
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 12:39:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Surprised by the cost of the 500.  Nice size and weight cut.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 1:23:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I watched the announcement last night and was shocked at how vague they were about the capabilities and features.  I was not impressed with their presentation.  The camera may be awesome or it may be a clunker.  It was hard to tell by that release just what that camera is actually capable of.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Time to start cruising the classifieds for a smoking deal on an 850!
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 7:13:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Nikon Z7 Hands-on First Look

Nikon Z7 REVIEW: Nikon’s First Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera | B&H

Shooting the Nikon Z7 Full frame Mirrorless Camera

DPReview TV: Nikon Z7 Hands-On First Impressions (In Seattle!)
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 1:26:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 10:36:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I preordered it early on the morning of the announcement but I just cancelled my orders (body, adapter, 35 lens and the new en-el15b batteries). I was hoping for something that is better than the D850. The reviews of the pre-release bodies don’t seem to bear that out.

I will wait and see. I don’t feel like being a guinea pig.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 10:46:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm years behind the bleeding edge but this is an impressive looking camera. A new flagship for sure.

45mp, daaaaang. Factor in a faster computer with a bigger hard drive when you buy one!

By the time I'm able to break into the full frame game they'll probably be up to 90mp.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 3:22:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I was not super impressed by the release info,... but for a first serious mirrorless efforts it seems pretty good.  I do have some issues....

1. WHY ONLY ONE CARD SLOT?
2. First new Nikon mounting system in 70 years?  Let's in a ton of light,  damned near big enough for medium format.   WHY IS THE 58mm THE ONLY 0.95; AND WHY IS IT MANUAL?   I mean come one now,... who the hell is going to be able to manually focus a 58mm f/0.95 with a 45+ megapixel camera?  The answer is NO ONE.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 3:44:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm working on verifying it, BUT the D500 and newer *should* be able to get full read/write speeds from CFExpress when/if Nikon does a software patch.  Nikon built in the full interface to their cameras as best as I can tell, so they should be future proofed just like the Z series.

Btw, holy fuck.  That would give pretty much anything a near unlimited buffer since the cards are write speed over 2x faster than XQD 2.0.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was not super impressed by the release info,... but for a first serious mirrorless efforts it seems pretty good.  I do have some issues....

1. WHY ONLY ONE CARD SLOT?
2. First new Nikon mounting system in 70 years?  Let's in a ton of light,  damned near big enough for medium format.   WHY IS THE 58mm THE ONLY 0.95; AND WHY IS IT MANUAL?   I mean come one now,... who the hell is going to be able to manually focus a 58mm f/0.95 with a 45+ megapixel camera?  The answer is NO ONE.
View Quote
1.  Nikon reps were saying that to add a second slot and the hardware for it, they'd have to noticeably increase the size of the camera in either thickness or height to where it would essentially be a D850 in size.  Given that it is CFExpress ready with a firmware update and much larger XQD cards are coming to market, it honestly doesn't bother me.  Unless you're running 2 cards of the same throughput (which is $$$ at those speeds) you'll get system and buffer lag unless you're shooting slow enough for the buffer to clear every few shots.  Otherwise if you aren't using the slot as a backup, it's not like you'll use the 2nd slot anyhow.

IMO it would also have increased the unit price by a noticeable bit.  Probably $25-50 or so per unit, but still noticeable.

2.  I can manually focus a f/1.2 on my D850 just fine through the viewfinder.  Focus peaking on live view makes it even easier.  As for no AF, you've got me there.  Probably a price and size thing, but no info to back it up.  The lens is already pretty big, so unless they could seriously shrink down the AF hardware I'd venture it would be a decent chunk fatter and couple hundred more expensive.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 3:14:15 AM EDT
[#11]
So, I've eagerly awaited the official announcement of this new camera... and now I'm not sure if it's what I want after all.

I don't have any full frame Nikon glass, so the FTZ adapter isn't beneficial to me. I wish that they had more new Z mount lenses available for the release and over the next couple of years.

The single card slot isn't a huge deal to me, but I can see how it's disappointing. As well as the supposed battery grip without controls...
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 3:30:55 AM EDT
[#12]
So, I've eagerly awaited the official announcement of this new camera... and now I'm not sure if it's what I want after all.

I don't have any full frame Nikon glass, so the FTZ adapter isn't beneficial to me. I wish that they had more new Z mount lenses available for the release and over the next couple of years.

The single card slot isn't a huge deal to me, but I can see how it's disappointing. As well as the supposed battery grip without controls...
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 7:59:03 PM EDT
[#13]
It seems that aftermarket companies are already getting stuff ready for production:

-RRS announced L plates for the Z7 and Z6
-PrimaLuce Lab is putting out a Z to M48 adapter for astrophotography that'll take giottos style filters
-Cambo is making their Actus bellows style assembly for the Z mount

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top