Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2020 12:12:58 AM EDT
My dad gave me a Nikon FE last year (with the lenses from my other thread).  The camera looks cherry, practically brand new.  Everything seems to work fine, but the meter operates intermittently.  There must be a loose connection or something, as it bounces in and out, sometimes after a shot, sometimes randomly, and sometimes it's perfect.  A camera repair place called Lezot lists a flat-rate repair on the meter for $90, and a CLA for $120.  The camera is crazy clean and nice looking, but I have 35MM beaten like a dead horse with a Minolta XK (if I get it back), XD11, and Nikon F100.  But, the FE is a pretty nice camera, and I don't want it to just get tossed.  I could use it with an external meter or Sunny 16, but my other 35MMs all work so I'd stick to them.

Is it worth putting money into, keep it as a wallhanger, find someone who loves FEs?  The thing is super clean inside and out.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 2:21:56 AM EDT
[#1]
No.  No, it's not.

Keep it for sentimental value because it was your Pops if you want.  But the repair is more than the camera is worth.

eta: I have a non-functional camera body that belonged to my dad on the shelf of my office.   makes a great paperweight
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 1:01:50 PM EDT
[#2]
This one wasn't "his" so there's no sentimental value, just a nice one (appearing) he ran across.  I didn't think it was worth the effort.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 9:21:32 AM EDT
[#3]
A Nikon FE is an excellent vintage 35mm. The only negative I can think of about it is the viewfinder is kinda hard to see in low light. One unique feature about the FE is the ability to mount non-AI lenses once you flip the little feeler on the side of the lens mount (can only stop down meter however).

If all you will have in it is $90 then your coming out cheaper than buying a clean FE off of eBay, and if your into vintage 35mm cameras then imo it is worth it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 5:25:36 PM EDT
[#4]
http://www.garryscamera.com/

Trying my hand first time adding a link. I used to see them on eBay all the time with special offers. I keep the link for my old Canon's. Their price list says $50 for your Nikon for a clean and tune which includes the light meter.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 1:43:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://www.garryscamera.com/

Trying my hand first time adding a link. I used to see them on eBay all the time with special offers. I keep the link for my old Canon's. Their price list says $50 for your Nikon for a clean and tune which includes the light meter.
View Quote

Wow, that's a good price for that.  In fact, I remember finding that site when I sent my XK in, but it didn't list the XK at all so I forgot about it and went with a different recommendation.  5-7 days sure beats the snot out of 5-7 months (so far).

This old thing is clean enough it'd be worth that kind of money to be repaired.  I was just pretty hesitant to spend $200 on it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 3:52:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I have  Nikon FE I bought new in 1983.  I haven't used it in years, but as far as I know, it still works.  As much as I like it, if it ever breaks, I would not spend money to have it repaired. I think the money would be better spent on a new(er) film camera.

FWIW, I have used APS (Authorized Photo Service) a couple of times, and they are excellent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top