Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2021 1:09:45 AM EDT
I found my grandfathers Nikon F2 and would like to start using it.

Overall it appears that everything on it functions but do most camera shops perform maintenance on these things? Should any shop be trusted?

The camera is a bit gunky and can benefit from cleaning/lube from someone who knows what they are doing. I would not like to mail it out.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 2:25:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I found my grandfathers Nikon F2 and would like to start using it.

Overall it appears that everything on it functions but do most camera shops perform maintenance on these things? Should any shop be trusted?

The camera is a bit gunky and can benefit from cleaning/lube from someone who knows what they are doing. I would not like to mail it out.
View Quote

That would likely be beyond the scope of 99% of camera shops these days.  I'd see if there is a Nikon authorized repair center near you (not Nikon itself) and see if they'd give it a go through.  Unfortunately, I have zero idea about what might be available locally to you.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 1:55:51 PM EDT
[#2]
In the Atlanta area is KEH Camera Brokers. There were a couple other shops, Camera Repair Japan & Camera Service.

CRJ is reasonably close to me and has worked on my Canon digital bodies & WF glass.

KEH sales new & used photo gear and does in house repairs. Problem with the F2 is going to be parts if there are needs. General clean & check should (should) be doable.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:25:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I know you don't want to ship it to someone, but that may be your only choice.  I've used Authorized Photo Service (APS) a few times, and like them.  Parts availability may be a real problem though, so give them a call, and see if they can service an F2.  If they can't, I doubt anyone else can either.

Link Posted: 5/9/2021 8:22:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Sover Wong is the king of F2 repair. No way in hell I’d send a film camera to KEH.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 5:04:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah choose wisely on old technology camera repair. I took my mechanical Canon film camera to a shister in my 'berg, claim he could fix it, he tried every which way, and finally gave up. Be double sure they what they are doing, the old cameras are not even close to what the newer electronic cameras, the old ones are way more complicated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top