Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 5/21/2022 12:39:57 AM EDT
https://www.wsj.com/articles/job-ghosting-new-hires-employment-11651759368

Manufacturers, restaurants, airlines and cleaning companies are among the employers seeing a surge of job seekers who accept positions—and are neither seen nor heard from again. Southwest Airlines Co. said some 15% to 20% of new hires for some jobs don’t turn up on their first day. At security and facility-services provider Allied Universal, roughly 15% of new hires disappear before starting a job.

The practice, often called ghosting, isn’t new. In the tight labor market that preceded the pandemic, employers reported that some staffers quit without giving notice or just stopped showing up for their shifts. The practice picked up its own shorthand: “no call, no show.”

The incidence of so-called ghosting—of accepting offers and then saying that they’ll start and not showing up—is at a record high,” said Jonas Prising, chairman and CEO of staffing agency ManpowerGroup Inc. “It’s multiples of what we’ve ever seen in other tight labor market cycles.”

Nationally, the job market is the strongest it has been in about a half-century. The unemployment rate fell to 3.6% in March, and job openings and the number of times workers quit reached the highest levels on record. By some measures the odds of getting laid off are the lowest in decades. Many companies streamlined hiring processes or improved technology, at times making it possible for people to get hired online within minutes—and without ever speaking to a hiring manager.

Stella Pomianek and her husband, Mariusz, owners of Cafe Stella, struggle to keep their Norfolk, Va., restaurant fully staffed. “We have lots of applicants to choose from,” she said. “I let them set up the time for the interview, and then 20% show up for the interview. The other 80% don’t even call me.”

Some new hires skip shifts, often without calling, the Pomianeks said. But they are reluctant to fire the no-shows given the challenge of replacing anyone. “Eventually they just stop showing up and we have no choice,” said Mr. Pomianek.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:44:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I see the same in my company. The only possible remedy will be for companies to go out of business and  unemployment to go up.

That or import a bunch of low skill workers from Mexico…oh wait.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:46:11 AM EDT
[#2]
It's similar at my company. I can't really blame them not showing up after Day 2 only to find out the 5 days a week is a lie and every weekend is mandatory.

Both people and employers are shitty
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:46:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't give a fuck anymore , and neither does anyone else . Employers have been playing fuck fuck games for about as long as I have been alive in hiring,  firing , scheduling , advancement etc

Even during the labor shortage I applied for a bunch of shit after I sold off the family business.

Took most of those dipshits 90+ days to follow up .

I just fucking ignored them , as I had taken a job from one of the couple places that actually contacted me in a reasonable time , and they treat me like gold for just showing up and actually doing work , scared shitless I'm gonna go somewhere else

I'm sure their HR people at the other places  are still crying that they can't get any decent people.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:49:16 AM EDT
[#4]
It's been happening at my work for a while. They'll sometimes show up for orientation and then never come back
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:49:28 AM EDT
[#5]
It's just all the people they screwed over a few years ago when it was so hard to get a job. Now they're getting revenge. I've thought about applying at a few places just to waste their time. Back about 8 years ago I couldn't find a job to save my life and there were companies and employment agencies running ads for fake jobs. I wasted hundreds of gallons of gas driving around applying, then I'd figure out it was bull shit when they kept running the same ad for a year.
I don't need a job now but I've thought it'd be fun to waste their time now.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:50:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's similar at my company. I can't really blame them not showing up after Day 2 only to find out the 5 days a week is a lie and every weekend is mandatory.

Both people and employers are shitty
View Quote

It’s amazing how many companies are still trying to play cute little games thinking they have any sort of leverage.

Last year I was shopping for a raise and my first interview with a company they stated one thing, then at the second tried to pull a “well there was actually a mistake and blah blah blah” and change some things.

Didn’t say a word, just got up and walked out. Took them nearly 3 more months to fill the position.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:51:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Because they already found a better paying job after the interview.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:52:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Let the company that has never ghosted a job applicant cast the first stone.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:52:49 AM EDT
[#9]
We haven't had anyone full on ghost us, but one guy stayed 3 days and took a "better job". Seems like everyone looking for jobs has 10-20 applications out and whatever happens, happens. Our newest tech sent 3 Indeed applications for tech, parts counter, and service advisor positions.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:54:02 AM EDT
[#10]
It really is shocking as it is occurring in federal employment as well, both no show for first day, or just not coming back after working a short time. No contact, no notice, just gone.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:54:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I find it hard to believe, I was searching for months and next Monday I start a gig.
I am so broke wish I could have started months ago.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:58:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Employers taught employees how its done in the professional world and are crying that the chickens have come home to roost. But keep laying off employees via pre-recorded zoom conferences and locking their accounts and deleting their door badges without notice.

I've been hanging around some business owners for over a decade that treat employees with dignity and respect and I have learned it goes a long way.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:58:58 AM EDT
[#13]
We are getting quite a few resumes for job listings we have posted but 90% don't answer when you call or email them and don't respond to messages left. 80% of the ones you can reach and schedule an interview with don't show up at all for the interview. Blows my mind
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:59:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:02:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I find it hard to believe, I was searching for months and next Monday I start a gig.
View Quote

No skills?
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:03:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Remember when entry level positions required 2-5 years experience to start? I remember.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:09:06 AM EDT
[#17]
the corperate world can collectively fucking eat a bag of dicks
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:13:51 AM EDT
[#18]
In my experience of the last 30 years is most employers, not all but most have treated employees abhorrently.  My present company included.  I think businesses have contributed to this problem. You reap what you sow.  When I started working as a young man this guy would have offended me.  Now he's like my spirit animal.
Do Nothing- a message of motivation from Self-help Singh- (un) motivational speaker and life coach

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:17:17 AM EDT
[#19]
I've been tech vetting for my current company... it's not the ghosters. It's the smart ones that can get past screening and take the position and then milk the first 8 weeks before you realize they are already gone, but the company still paid them for 2 months.  

The IT market is flooded with this shit and guys will double and triple dip companies and string them along until they get termed all while raking in bill rates on 6 figure jobs.

May of these companies take minimum 2 weeks to get up and running then it's fake it till you make it or get fired and off to the next. Allot of them will even keep one FTE job for benefits while raping the other companies for easy startup time cash.  

We even had a guy interview then a different guy show up thinking we wouldn't notice.   Fucking crazy out there right now with turn over.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:18:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've been tech vetting for my current company... it's not the ghosters. It's the smart ones that can get past screening and take the position and then milk the first 8 weeks before you realize they are already gone, but the company still paid them for 2 months.  

The IT market is flooded with this shit and guys will double and triple dip companies and string them along until they get termed all while raking in bill rates on 6 figure jobs.

May of these companies take minimum 2 weeks to get up and running then it's fake it till you make it or get fired and off to the next. Allot of them will even keep one FTE job for benefits while raping the other companies for easy startup time cash.  

We even had a guy interview then a different guy show up thinking we wouldn't notice.   Fucking crazy out there right now with turn over.
View Quote

glad to hear it, props to them
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:19:13 AM EDT
[#21]
I ghosted one because they couldn’t follow instructions.

I’ve been self employed the last three years now and as such, I can’t ever be unavailable. Growing tired of it, the company I wanted to work for was a large developer.

I explicitly told them I would be 100% unavailable between two dates on the calendar, and if they wanted me to start on the date they gave me, they needed to do any drug testing / background etc meetings or calls with me the week prior to the days I was unavailable. The hiring board (four separate individuals) all agreed to this during the interview.

We’re talking 2 full weeks after my interview before I was unavailable for seven days, so there was plenty of time for them to decide they wanted me, and set everything up with HR - the whole hiring process only goes through about six people in total, and four of them were the ones in the room during my interview.

Guess who blew my phone up within 24-36 hours of the beginning of the week I was in class for 70+ hours to keep another professional certification? HR, wanting to do all the shit I told them I’d be unavailable for that week.

That class cost me $1300 and in order to stay certified you basically get two chances at a state test on the subject.

Sorry, not going to work for a bunch of catty office bitches (both men and women) who can’t follow simple instructions.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:20:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I don't give a fuck anymore , and neither does anyone else . Employers have been playing fuck fuck games for about as long as I have been alive in hiring,  firing , scheduling , advancement etc

Even during the labor shortage I applied for a bunch of shit after I sold off the family business.

Took most of those dipshits 90+ days to follow up .

I just fucking ignored them , as I had taken a job from one of the couple places that actually contacted me in a reasonable time , and they treat me like gold for just showing up and actually doing work , scared shitless I'm gonna go somewhere else

I'm sure their HR people at the other places  are still crying that they can't get any decent people.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:21:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mind sharing what line of work?
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:23:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It's just all the people they screwed over a few years ago when it was so hard to get a job. Now they're getting revenge. I've thought about applying at a few places just to waste their time. Back about 8 years ago I couldn't find a job to save my life and there were companies and employment agencies running ads for fake jobs. I wasted hundreds of gallons of gas driving around applying, then I'd figure out it was bull shit when they kept running the same ad for a year.
View Quote

Why would a company run a fake job ad?
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:28:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A friend worked for a company that always had jobs advertised but never hired anyone so they could tell their staff that they were trying to get more help for them. When in reality they had no intention of anything other than an overworked skeleton crew.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:33:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Gotta say the amount of ingenuity and hustle is legendary.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:38:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know. Steeling identity? There was an employment agency here and they ran crazy sounding ads all the time. One time they said they were hiring a forklift operator at this mill and they said Wich mill it was. I happened to see the HR manager of that mill at a job fair and I mentioned I'd seen the ad and she said "we are NOT hiring a forklift operator". I insisted I'd seen the ad and she said she's the HR manager and she'd know. Then she gos "oh, that must be one of Willy's ads?" "Willy at xyz employment?" And I'm like "yeah" and she straight up told me that that employment agency runs ads for jobs that don't exist.

Then there was a furniture store. They constantly ran ads for salesmen and drivers for years. I applied several times. Later I talked to other people who knew a guy who worked there who told them "we are NEVER hiring" the guy who runs the ads doesn't even work at that store, he's like a regional HR manager from another state or something. I know a LOT of people who say they'll never buy a thing from that company because of that bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:38:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Allot of them will even keep one FTE job for benefits while raping the other companies for easy startup time cash.  
View Quote
Yep, I've seen it several times.

The girl I replaced at my current job worked on the side as a realtor and did absolutely nothing at her full time job. She got all the benefits from the full time job and it took six months for HR to get rid of her.

Two coworkers of mine were out on FMLA, but got cash jobs elsewhere while still getting benefits from their "full time" job. One was working at his uncle's liquor store.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:38:42 AM EDT
[#29]
I knew, from years if academic study and field research, that HR couldn't get any dumber.  Some how it happen.

Hiring is a shit show.  I have had some interactions and interviews that cemented my desire to never work for certain companies.

Today I got email about a C-suite level job.  It says my application score was 100, don't respond to this email and we might be in touch.

A score of 100 out of what m'fers!?!?!
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:58:49 AM EDT
[#30]
I assume this is for low skill and low pay type jobs? Can't imagine getting a degree and never being as to properly fill out a resume by burning bridges.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:01:13 AM EDT
[#31]
I ghosted a company that offered me 2 weeks PTO. Fuck that, this isn't sweatshop China. And this was a company in the travel industry, no less I promptly found a company that starts all employees at 4 weeks and is exclusively WFH. Once my year with them is up I'll be jumping to find more PTO. Fuck a commute and motherfuck not getting enough time off. If our EU and Australian competitors can do it while offering a similarly priced product so can we.

I'm loving that employees these days are much less cucked than before.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:07:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I assume this is for low skill and low pay type jobs right?
View Quote

I have a Ph. D. and I’ve seen it happening in data analytics and R&D.

My days of tolerating:
-Evening “hey can you…” Teams messages
-Weekend “hey can you…” Teams messages
-9-5 meaning 8:30-6
-Toiling away all year while my colleagues in Europe and Australia are on holiday
-Commuting

Are over.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:09:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I assume this is for low skill and low pay type jobs right?
View Quote

That is the way it reads to me, just companies complaining because every gas station, fast food joint, and/or store is hiring at or above what they want to pay people for actual work.

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:12:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Employers pulled that same crap during the obama years.  Act like they are hiring, but either weren't, or you might or might not hear something ever or they talk to you and then blow you off.  No sympathy for them at all, they just don't like it because they are now on the receiving end.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:21:26 AM EDT
[#35]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/1zvslystz4-7.gif

Yup!!!

I've had great interviews with companies and then get ignored.

On the flip side, I strung along a company for two extra weeks while my first choice to work at gave me an offer.

Workers know its best to have options, just like employers do.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:30:06 AM EDT
[#36]
As a first responder, all I can do is O_o at about half this thread. Negotiations don't exist, we do what we must, and we're there to get shit done because it has to be done. Pay and benefits are secondary...
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:37:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Had that happen a couple times during the last year. Boss told me we'd have a new person coming in on such and such day, they never show up and we never hear from them again.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:47:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
As a first responder, all I can do is O_o at about half this thread. Negotiations don't exist, we do what we must, and we're there to get shit done because it has to be done. Pay and benefits are secondary...
View Quote

Fuck you, pay me.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:51:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Fuck you, pay me.
View Quote

Yup. You get what you tolerate.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:05:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Funny how the tables turn, huh?
I bet a lot of the people bitching about this, probably ghosted applicants when unemployment was high.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:08:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Remember when entry level positions required 2-5 years experience to start? I remember.
View Quote
I work in IT. I got in to the IT Field thanks to the current situation.
I've seen coworkers who literally have *ZERO* IT before this job, and weren't even that tech-oriented.

This labor shortage is opening *A LOT* of doors for people.

If you want to switch fields, but never could because of the whole "Must have experience... but you need a job first to get that experience" trap... now's the fucking time.

I wonder if Enterprise Rent-A-Car still demands a FUCKING BACHELOR'S DEGREE to work their front desk (LO FUCKING L)
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:15:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That is the way it reads to me, just companies complaining because every gas station, fast food joint, and/or store is hiring at or above what they want to pay people for actual work.

View Quote

This was going on prepandemic at my work with our warehouse container guys. Pay was below local wages for the gig and explicitly seasonal. Temp agency was sending 3-4 new people a week to fill the positions. Most just never showed up for the second day, a bunch would just leave at lunch and never come back. We had to stop sending out emails to our full time workers because theyd call off or no show when containers came in. It was back breaking work for low pay. New Operations manager was hired and the tight wad bitch of an owner was convinced to actually pay at or above market rate and invest in paying a number of full time positions. We found a temp agency that specialized in middle easterns. Initially they were amazingly hard workers and we hired on a number of the best. Business boomed during covid but has snapped back to reality and we have to find busy work for them in monotonous roles we had to cook up. Now even they are no showing, whining, and skipping out early.

I went through the whole job interview ghosting bullshit in 2015-16 and was ghosted by a good portion of the people I made it to 2nd or 3rd in person interviews (not just the resume black hole). This was after my last job had a mass layoff and walked me out the door without a minutes notice. Why again should employees be so dedicated to these vaunted business owners cherish in this country?
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:24:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Payback is a bitch..
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:32:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because they need to spend recruitment budget or it disappears next year.

Or it is a fly by night school looking to enroll you at the 'interview'.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:38:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Fuck you, pay me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck you, pay me.

I have never asked for a raise nor needed to. 30+ years. My pay was always upper middle to top end and raises were given when I was not expecting them.
Go to work. Get the job done. Take a long objective look at your expectations before letting that fuck you pay me attitude creep in.
Pay is critically important but only for the right reason. Give the employer a reason to step up otherwise you are no better than the worst employee they already have.

Although I will concede I never worked corporately. So..fuck your pay me might be legit.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:39:52 AM EDT
[#46]
I  work in the trucking part of our company.  This is one of the best trucking jobs available in the area. Home daily, super easy work and $100k a year.  It has taken us 6 months to fill a position.  I don't know if it because they are picky about who they hire or something else.  They can't be too picky if they hired me.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:41:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually, it's quite common.

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 4:49:27 AM EDT
[#48]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/1zvslystz4-7.gif

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 4:58:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
there were companies and employment agencies running ads for fake jobs.
View Quote

I believe that's true now as well, or just advertising the job and then hiring from within with no intention of hiring anyone from outside.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 5:02:28 AM EDT
[#50]
I've seen people go through the effort to get hired and never show up.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top