Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2021 11:56:41 PM EDT
I am in the market for my first welder.   I am seriously looking @ the Miller Thunderbolt 160.   I like that I can operate on 120 or 240 and it is portable.  

Any better ideas for a first welder?
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 1:00:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't see the point to dual voltage welders.
You will be disappointed in the 120v operation.
Unless you're welding holes  in fenders
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:37:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I like the idea of being able to use it where I don't have access to 240.   You may be right that i find that lower voltage useless.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 10:57:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I have had a 211 Miller Auto set for many years.

I can't imagine the hundreds of feet of wire it's burnt

I've ran it 99% on 110v, and some on 220

Its stayed in my home garage most of the time, where 220 isn't an option

It welds to this day everything from car sheet metal to 3/8 stuff, and I've welded 3/4 stuff with it (d ring mounts) that held just fine.

I also have about a year old Miller plasma that shifts 110 to 220

ETA the only thing I've noticed is the cooling fan runs at full speed all the time now, instead of as needed. Guess something has failed but it welds like always
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:03:55 AM EDT
[#4]
If you're thinking stick, I'd go with the Maxstar 161. Better duty cycle and just a few more bucks, 65A@20% vs. 90A@30%. The Maxstar has a 100% duty cycle at 60A. I have an Everlast PowerArc 200ST. Haven't burned as much as I would have liked, but the duty cycle on the new version is 120A@35%, 70A@100%.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 6:31:41 AM EDT
[#5]
If you're thinking stick, I'd go with the Maxstar 161. Better duty cycle and just a few more bucks, 65A@20% vs. 90A@30%. The Maxstar has a 100% duty cycle at 60A. I have an Everlast PowerArc 200ST. Haven't burned as much as I would have liked, but the duty cycle on the new version is 120A@35%, 70A@100%.
View Quote

Thanky for this advice. Been using OXY-Acet all my born days and always "farmed out" stick welding to others. 'Bout time I lernt. Ain't got much time left--I'm pushing 80 Summers!

PS
Love your avatar pic and quote about your dear, sweet Maggie! Same with my K9s--miss the ones not still with me (Beagles.) Had one like Maggie: 19-20 years with me--sure do miss her as well.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 6:49:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I would buy a multi-process welder if I was starting out.  

Stick is great for farm use since you don't need to worry as much about welding only on clean metal.  

I welded with an older buzz box Thunderbolt AC for years and then decided to upgrade to a Lincoln MP-210 because it could weld both stick and mig.  It can also run on 120v if you want.   After 3 years I haven't ever even hooked up the stick lead once or had the need to run it on 120v.  

Mig is so much easier and the time you spend cleaning your parts up front is saved on the back end by not having to clean up slag afterwards.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's some random first welding machine advice-

1) take a dmm and measure the actual voltage at various settings.
2) do the same to verify wire speed.
3) note these values, how they correlate to the machine's labels.

Weldingtipsandtricks has a great video on this and how it affects weld performance.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 3:50:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Miller Multimatic. Only way to fly.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:46:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ETA the only thing I've noticed is the cooling fan runs at full speed all the time now, instead of as needed. Guess something has failed but it welds like always
View Quote

@hkx3

Pop it open and just see if it's all covered in dirt \ dust \ metal shavings \ etc.   Just use compressed air to blow it all out.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top