Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2021 2:00:06 PM EDT
Attachment Attached File

I ordered the castle MMX8s 1520 combo for it, to use the 4S packs I already have. The only 3S batteries I have are small crawler packs for my TRX4.

Link Posted: 7/11/2021 2:06:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Sweet! I love my gen 1 Outcast.  Just rebuilt the rear diff today oddly enough.  I need to start battery shopping again.....several of my SMC packs are starting to bulge

update with pics when you start tinkering on it!

Link Posted: 7/11/2021 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sweet! I love my gen 1 Outcast.  Just rebuilt the rear diff today oddly enough.  I need to start battery shopping again.....several of my SMC packs are starting to bulge

update with pics when you start tinkering on it!

View Quote
That's what pretty much all my batteries are now from SMC.

I've got 4 of the 9700mah extreme graphene v2 packs that I've been using in my Xmaxx for a while now and they don't even get warm in that. Hopefully they're up for this.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 2:48:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 3:12:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is that for carpet track racing?
View Quote
General bashing around parking lots and going fast . With the motor/ESC I've got coming people are getting these things up into the 130-150s MPH. I'm not really interested in speed runs though. I think just getting to 100mph would be pretty awesome.

It was either spend money for new batteries and push the stock electronics on 6s or buy the new motor/ESC and take it easy on 8s with the batteries I've got and where hopefully the electronics won't have to work as hard.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 9:52:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks to this thread I may have been influenced to buy a new SMC 6S 6300 today
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 11:32:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/300501/7A616203-4F63-44DD-A983-7FC57889327D_jpe-2010021.JPG

I ordered the castle MMX8s 1520 combo for it, to use the 4S packs I already have. The only 3S batteries I have are small crawler packs for my TRX4.

View Quote

Bravo!  That is a thing of beastly beauty!
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 7:08:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I know it's been over 4 months since I got this thing but it's finally finished.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/22/2021 1:16:02 PM EDT
[#8]
awesome!  What is the small zip-tied pack for?
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 1:19:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
awesome!  What is the small zip-tied pack for?
View Quote
That's a capacitor pack I made. It helps smooth out ripple voltage.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

After I potted it then put it in the heat shrink.
Not the prettiest but it should work fine.

Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:39:44 PM EDT
[#10]
That’s going to be a spectacular crash. Make sure you get a video.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 9:15:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That's going to be a spectacular crash. Make sure you get a video.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/27/2021 1:19:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:29:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well? Have you run it yet?
View Quote
I finally got a chance to use it for the first time today. I only ran it at about half power, but in the limit area I had it hit 56mph. Even at half power it's nuts.

I ordered a MMX8S/1717 combo for my Xmaxx now.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:05:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 12:22:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm curious what the top end is. That thing has to be silly fast. I was eyeing the MMX series and their motors for my next car/truck. The Infraction is also on my short list. I'm buying that new Rival MT8 I posted next because I want a 1/8 basher. After that it's either the Infraction or the Felony. Keep us posted on how you like Castle. Curious how it does in the long run.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I finally got a chance to use it for the first time today. I only ran it at about half power, but in the limit area I had it hit 56mph. Even at half power it's nuts.

I ordered a MMX8S/1717 combo for my Xmaxx now.

I'm curious what the top end is. That thing has to be silly fast. I was eyeing the MMX series and their motors for my next car/truck. The Infraction is also on my short list. I'm buying that new Rival MT8 I posted next because I want a 1/8 basher. After that it's either the Infraction or the Felony. Keep us posted on how you like Castle. Curious how it does in the long run.
This infraction has the MMX8S/1520 combo in it.

I definitely need to find a much smoother and bigger area. But it was fun seeing the sparks from the titanium plates over the uneven surface. Geared up sure this combo could hit into the 120-130's. I built this to be more of a basher, I'd be happy with 100mph just to say it can. But "only" 56 really seemed a lot faster.

Even my wife thought it was cool and she usually thinks this stuff is weird

The felony looks cool but I didn't like the idea of different sized front/rear tires.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 8:10:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just had my first experience with an Infraction. Buddy stopped by and brought his. Running a Hobbywing Max 5 combo with a 1650kv on 8s. Holy shit balls. That thing was awesome. Clocked at 112mph.
View Quote
Yea. It's hard to describe. They're nuts.

You'll go through a lot of tires
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 9:48:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

He had a backpack full of tires..just sayin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He had a backpack full of tires..just sayin.
Balanced all these this morning

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/2/2022 12:19:08 PM EDT
[#20]
What benefit does the Infraction have over just getting a Limitless?

Not super familiar with Arrma.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 1:13:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

AFAIK, it’s the same chassis. The reason I’m going with the limitless is because why pay for electronics that I’m just gonna rip out anyways. Plus, my friend that was here the other day said the stock electronics lasted him about a month. The handbrake feature was pretty neat tho.
View Quote

You said Infraction or Felony up above vs Limitless. So it threw me for a loop.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 1:19:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

AFAIK, it's the same chassis. The reason I'm going with the limitless is because why pay for electronics that I'm just gonna rip out anyways. Plus, my friend that was here the other day said the stock electronics lasted him about a month. The handbrake feature was pretty neat tho.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What benefit does the Infraction have over just getting a Limitless?

Not super familiar with Arrma.

AFAIK, it's the same chassis. The reason I'm going with the limitless is because why pay for electronics that I'm just gonna rip out anyways. Plus, my friend that was here the other day said the stock electronics lasted him about a month. The handbrake feature was pretty neat tho.
Yea they're pretty similar. A few minor differences like the internal gearing is a little different and the limitless has a center spool instead of a differential.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 4:22:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 4:38:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Honestly if I come across an Infraction roller I'll jump on that. I didn't know about the center spool. So its just like running a diff locker?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yea they're pretty similar. A few minor differences like the internal gearing is a little different and the limitless has a center spool instead of a differential.

Honestly if I come across an Infraction roller I'll jump on that. I didn't know about the center spool. So its just like running a diff locker?
Yea it's just a solid piece instead of a differential. It's what you want if you want to primarily focus on speed runs. If you want to focus on bashing you can always add the center diff. I ended up replacing the plastic diff case with a metal one too.

Also I upgraded the front and rear driveshafts with scorched RC titanium ones. The rear one especially has a bad vibration issue which they "solved" in the infraction V2 with a crappy plastic piece with two ball bearings on it that are supposed to support the shaft. But I don't think the limitless has that piece. With the titanium shafts there's no need for it anyways.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 4:44:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 4:49:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 4:54:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Well I'll probably be buying at the end of the month. I keep flip flopping between the infraction and the limitless. Can't make my mind up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yea it's just a solid piece instead of a differential. It's what you want if you want to primarily focus on speed runs. If you want to focus on bashing you can always add the center diff. I ended up replacing the plastic diff case with a metal one too.

Also I upgraded the front and rear driveshafts with scorched RC titanium ones. The rear one especially has a bad vibration issue which they "solved" in the infraction V2 with a crappy plastic piece with two ball bearings on it that are supposed to support the shaft. But I don't think the limitless has that piece. With the titanium shafts there's no need for it anyways.

Well I'll probably be buying at the end of the month. I keep flip flopping between the infraction and the limitless. Can't make my mind up.
It really comes down to what you're looking to do with it I think.

Also have you looked at the new Vendetta? Not as big, but a lot cheaper to get into and run.

ETA: That box above has like $150 of tires in it (and the GRPs aren't even very good) as you know it's not difficult to destroy a set in a few packs, and S7s are the hardest.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 5:02:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 12:55:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 2:13:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Took the speedrun car out yesterday since the snow was mostly gone. It turned itself into an airplane.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 2:50:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Found these last night. Ordered a set to try out. Came out to $50 shipped.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Found these last night. Ordered a set to try out. Came out to $50 shipped.

Haha. Me too! They look like they have a good amount of rubber on them wonder how long they'll last. Attachment Attached File

Did you buy an infraction yet?
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 3:39:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 5:29:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 9:10:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

So I may be back to getting an Infraction. Just got back from my weekly trip to my LHS and got to talking with the owner. He said if I want the Infraction he would take out everything and basically make it a roller. He would then sell the electronics as, "like new" condition. Said he'd get back to me with a price when he figured out how much he could get for everything. Could I do all that? Yes. But him and his wife are good, honest people so I figured I'd see what the deal is.
View Quote
Yea you'd have to see what the price is. I'd suspect you'd make more parting and selling everything on your own. I never even ran it on the stock electronics. Never even hooked a battery up to it, I don't have anything with those IC5 connectors. But I haven't looked into selling it either, though I really should.
I think jennysrc is a good starting point for seeing the realistic value of parted out pieces. There all the electronics (minus the hand brake servo if you want to keep that) would be about $212, like half the price of everything "new". So if they offered the roller at like $500 I'd say go for it. Plus you don't have to deal with buyers and their potential BS and you might not have an easy time selling something like the stock radio/servo, which are kind of crappy.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 11:10:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 9:00:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 10:07:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Got the tires in today. They seem nice. Good fit on the rim. I did learn one thing though. I SUCK at gluing tires. Pretty sure they'll hold but let's just say I'm not winning any car shows and I have just as much glue on my hands as I do the tires. I think I'd rather pay for pre-glued tires. I used the Pro-Line glue and that stuff is instant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha. Me too! They look like they have a good amount of rubber on them wonder how long they'll last. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/300501/08F9EB4C-BC7E-4486-986F-53E1C74C4FEB_png-2234381.JPG

Did you buy an infraction yet?

Got the tires in today. They seem nice. Good fit on the rim. I did learn one thing though. I SUCK at gluing tires. Pretty sure they'll hold but let's just say I'm not winning any car shows and I have just as much glue on my hands as I do the tires. I think I'd rather pay for pre-glued tires. I used the Pro-Line glue and that stuff is instant.
Nice. I got my set too. I didn't look at them much other than taking them out of the pack. I'm not even sure I've got glue for them.

I'm more curious how well they balance. The GRPs while cheap are terrible.

When you get an infraction/limitless make sure you get a tire balancer.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 10:16:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 10:57:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Will do. Should be placing the order next week. Sold one of my ham radios that I don't really use much so I'll have the money for a good start. I think I'm going with the MMX8S/1717 combo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice. I got my set too. I didn't look at them much other than taking them out of the pack. I'm not even sure I've got glue for them.

I'm more curious how well they balance. The GRPs while cheap are terrible.

When you get an infraction/limitless make sure you get a tire balancer.

Will do. Should be placing the order next week. Sold one of my ham radios that I don't really use much so I'll have the money for a good start. I think I'm going with the MMX8S/1717 combo.
That should be very fast.

I use this one https://www.amainhobbies.com/hudy-wheel-balancer-adapter-for-1-8th-offroad-cars-truggy-hud105510/p31007 They sell a stand too but I just hold it.

I'd also recommend looking into replacing the center diff cup with a metal one, and the center driveshafts with something that won't vibrate like the stock ones. I also went to heavier springs to help compensate for the heavier 8s components.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 8:12:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top