Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2024 9:12:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KnuckleSandwich]
I'm currently on a 2006 Ducati Monster S2R 800 that I purchased new, 77bhp 53lb ft., after 18 years I think I have earned a newer bike.

I'm stuck between the Ducati SS 950, SF V2, and Pani V2/959/899. None of the dealers by me will jump at a test ride on a new one, and apparently Ducati stopped doing demo days.

I ride mainly for fun. I don't commute and my rides are mostly an hour or two, with a random 3-4 hour ride on the weekends when I get time. I'm 46 years old, but relatively fit.

The SS950 is obviously the sensible choice, the Panigale is what I want but know I shouldn't get, and the SF is the compromise and there very few on the used market.

What say you Arf? Anyone have experience on these bikes? Help me decide!

(Not interested in other manufacturers, I almost snagged a rs660 but as nice as parallel twins are and all... meh, I don't want a parallel twin.)

The 06 S2R:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:47:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Get the Ducati you want.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:33:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jeremy223] [#2]
I'd get the Street Fighter V2 (or V4). I have had a Tuono for 5 years and wouldn't go back to a super sport, except for track riding. Street Fighter gives you every bit of performance and ground clearance of a super bike, with easier ergos and enough wind blast to give you a reminder as you get up to jail speeds.

I'm with you on the parallel twins - I have no use for them. I only do V2 or V4 for road bikes any more.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:34:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Hypermotard 950!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:40:22 PM EDT
[#4]
S1000RR or bust :D
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:51:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By KnuckleSandwich:

and apparently Ducati stopped doing demo days.

View Quote

Maybe just for your area? This place had a Ducati Demo Days 6 days ago. Scroll down and you'll find it.   https://www.facebook.com/Warhorsecamphill

"Warhorse Camp Hill
6d  ·
Come out for Ducati Demo Days until 5pm today! Lunch at Noon from. NIKOLI'S! "
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:16:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Streetfighter
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:51:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Stitches1974:

Maybe just for your area? This place had a Ducati Demo Days 6 days ago. Scroll down and you'll find it.   https://www.facebook.com/Warhorsecamphill

"Warhorse Camp Hill
6d  ·
Come out for Ducati Demo Days until 5pm today! Lunch at Noon from. NIKOLI'S! "
View Quote

Weird. I have 3 Ducati dealers within 45 minutes of me and they all said Ducati stopped demo days.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:57:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By jeremy223:
I'd get the Street Fighter V2 (or V4). I have had a Tuono for 5 years and wouldn't go back to a super sport, except for track riding. Street Fighter gives you every bit of performance and ground clearance of a super bike, with easier ergos and enough wind blast to give you a reminder as you get up to jail speeds.

I'm with you on the parallel twins - I have no use for them. I only do V2 or V4 for road bikes any more.
View Quote

I've only been on my monster and a few other nakeds, which is why I wanted something with fairings, different and aggressive. It feels like a bad decision though. What bikes were you on before the tuono?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:32:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KnuckleSandwich] [#9]
Originally Posted By eclark53520:
S1000RR or bust :D
View Quote

Not really a fan of BMW bikes, but the S1000RR is sexy as hell.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:03:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Of the list? Streetfighter
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:23:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By fttam:
Of the list? Streetfighter
View Quote

Apart from an apparent shortage of used SF V2s I'm thinking this is the best answer.

I'm guessing by your avatar you're a track junkie. Have you been on either of the V2s?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:11:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stitches1974] [#12]

Weird. I have 3 Ducati dealers within 45 minutes of me and they all said Ducati stopped demo days.
View Quote

It could be local dealers playing games as well. Back in 2015, I was looking at ordering a new Wrangler. Local dealer said they were no longer taking orders and trying to push vehicles on the lot at me. I left and just started calling dealers statewide. I found a dealer two hours away that said they could order one that day if I wanted to. Made the order the next day.

I'd try calling out of state dealers or dealers a bit farther away. I'm seeing a few demo days.

Here's another that just happened.

https://www.musiccity-doc.org/EventDisplayByDate.php?Date=2024-03-23
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:38:57 PM EDT
[#13]
You said the word sensible and Ducati in the same sentence.  They don't go together, get the one that moves your heart the most.  Once you are in Ducati territory, just get the one you want.  They aren't cheap to buy and they require more maintenance (= expensive).

Years ago, I used to ride my bike 100% of the time.  Ride to work, ride for fun, do cross country tour, etc.  So I needed something somewhat sensible and had a string of 'sensible' bikes: Honda VFR800, CBR1100XX, Suzuki Bandit 1200, Yamaha FZ1, etc.  Those bikes did everything well.  A small fairing makes a huge difference when I from Mexico to Canada and back via the Pacific Coast highway.

I later bought a trunk and decided enough of the sensible.  I bought a Buell XB-12S Lightning and absolutely loved it.  It had no room to carry anything, wasn't as fast as my other bikes, barely had a fly screen.  But it scratched that itch and I'm a better person for getting it.  The maintenance was extremely easy and the V-twin motor was excellent at legal & semi-legal speed.  It ran out of puff at about 100 mph, but is about as good as it gets at 0-75mph.

I currently have a Honda NC700X with the DCT and a project Harley XR1200 (it came not running).  I hate the Honda as it's way too bland.  I was intrigued and wanted to try the DCT automatic transmission but the bike is just too underpowered for me.  It would be good for commuting, but I don't do that too much.  Between work and life, I haven't gotten to the Harley yet, but have had twins in the past (and love them).  I had the Buell and a Yamaha Warrior 1700, I'm hope the Harley will land somewhere in the middle.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:16:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KnuckleSandwich] [#14]
Originally Posted By ihon:
You said the word sensible and Ducati in the same sentence.  They don't go together, get the one that moves your heart the most.  Once you are in Ducati territory, just get the one you want.  They aren't cheap to buy and they require more maintenance (= expensive).

Years ago, I used to ride my bike 100% of the time.  Ride to work, ride for fun, do cross country tour, etc.  So I needed something somewhat sensible and had a string of 'sensible' bikes: Honda VFR800, CBR1100XX, Suzuki Bandit 1200, Yamaha FZ1, etc.  Those bikes did everything well.  A small fairing makes a huge difference when I from Mexico to Canada and back via the Pacific Coast highway.

I later bought a trunk and decided enough of the sensible.  I bought a Buell XB-12S Lightning and absolutely loved it.  It had no room to carry anything, wasn't as fast as my other bikes, barely had a fly screen.  But it scratched that itch and I'm a better person for getting it.  The maintenance was extremely easy and the V-twin motor was excellent at legal & semi-legal speed.  It ran out of puff at about 100 mph, but is about as good as it gets at 0-75mph.

I currently have a Honda NC700X with the DCT and a project Harley XR1200 (it came not running).  I hate the Honda as it's way too bland.  I was intrigued and wanted to try the DCT automatic transmission but the bike is just too underpowered for me.  It would be good for commuting, but I don't do that too much.  Between work and life, I haven't gotten to the Harley yet, but have had twins in the past (and love them).  I had the Buell and a Yamaha Warrior 1700, I'm hope the Harley will land somewhere in the middle.
View Quote

I hear you, but really the monsters are quite sensible. Great ergos, light, easy to work on. I'm not terribly concerned about the maintenance. The first service I'll let them do for the warranty. I've done all the desmo services, changed out the clutch pack, rebuilt the fuel pump on my 06. I quite enjoyed it actually.

I'm mostly concerned about the Panigale just ending up being too uncomfortable in the long run. I've never ridden a sport bike and have no idea how much my body is going to hate it. I'm only going on what I hear from others, "they're no fun unless you're on the track," "you're not going to ride it," "your back is going to hate you," etc etc. But maybe they're pussies, or like to go on all day rides. Neither apply to me.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:17:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Stitches1974:

It could be local dealers playing games as well. Back in 2015, I was looking at ordering a new Wrangler. Local dealer said they were no longer taking orders and trying to push vehicles on the lot at me. I left and just started calling dealers statewide. I found a dealer two hours away that said they could order one that day if I wanted to. Made the order the next day.

I'd try calling out of state dealers or dealers a bit farther away. I'm seeing a few demo days.

Here's another that just happened.

https://www.musiccity-doc.org/EventDisplayByDate.php?Date=2024-03-23
View Quote

Thanks I'll check some of the PA dealers. Once you get out of the NY metro area, Ducati dealers start getting pretty sparse.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:39:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stitches1974] [#16]

Thanks I'll check some of the PA dealers. Once you get out of the NY metro area, Ducati dealers start getting pretty sparse.
View Quote

I'm starting to think your local dealers are full of it. Up for a drive? April 6th, in Detroit.

https://ducatidetroit.com/events/season-opening-24/

Join us at the dealership to celebrate the start of the riding season together with another fun event, right here at Ducati Detroit. Take a demo ride on the latest and greatest Ducati motorcycles, enjoy some great food, and gather with fellow Ducatisti in celebration of the start of the riding season. This two day event is the perfect time to experience that Ducati motorcycle you’ve been dreaming of all winter.

We will have the following demo models on-site and available for test rides.

DesertX
Diavel V4
Mutlistrada V2
Multistrada V4 S
Multistrada V4 Rally
Hypermotard 698 Mono RVE
Hypermotard 950 SP
SuperSport 950
Streetfighter V2
Streetfighter V4 S
Panigale V2
Panigale V4 S
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:10:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I couldn't stand my brother's Yamaha R-6 or Honda CBR-600.  Those were race replicas at the time and those are the bikes I would probably want for a track day.  I was in my 20's and it was still uncomfortable for riding around town compared to my bikes at the time.  My VFR-800 & CBR-1100XX (which risers) was as sporty as I wanted and those were pretty mellow by sports bike standards.  I bet adding a bar riser or handlebar conversion kit would be the ticket on the CBR600 & R6.  

I actually sold my CBR-1100XX as I had to fight it to stay under the speed limit when commuting to work.  It was just comfortable enough, but I added Heli-bar risers and Buell lowered foot pegs to it.  It was all surface streets and I literally struggled to only do 50 mph because of how much smooth power it had.  I'd be doing 55-60 in a 45 without even realizing it.  I crossed from one town into another and it was heavily patrolled at the borders by both PDs.  Now out in the open desert, the CBR-1100xx was awesome.  But if I kept it I was going to lose my mind (by trying to drive the speed limit) or my license.  I replaced it with my Buell XB-12S which is an excellent bike for surface streets.

I'm a huge fan of more upright ergos.  I test rode a Multistrada (Arizona Bike Week) and absolutely loved it.  The engine was wonderful and the ergos were excellent.  Then I looked at price tag ($25K at the time) and said no can do big buddy.  On the test ride, another rider crashed a Diavel.  Which I'm sure happens enough to stop many factory ride days.  The Ducati belt changes looks a little complicated to me, but I'm sure once you done them they are easy.  Although lately, I'm been having financial success at work and would rather pay than lose a few days to a valve inspection.  I loved how low maintenance my Buell XB-12 was, basically oil changes and torquing all the bolts.  It had 2 separate oil systems, but only 3 quarts total between both.  It shook at idle, but smooth out at speed.  It shook enough that bolts would loosen without Loctite.  

I've always loved the Monsters.  In fact, when I bought my Buell, it was on the short list.  I looked at a KTM Duke, Ducati Monster, Yamaha Vmax, Buell XB-12S, Suzuki B-king, Suzuki SV-1000, and a Triumph Speed Triple.  The Buell was the one that the deal worked out on (dude took some guns in trade).  I get heavy into bike for 5 years and then into guns for 5 years and then back.  I'm in my gun phase right now and am swinging back into bikes.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:23:18 PM EDT
[#18]

I've only been on my monster and a few other nakeds, which is why I wanted something with fairings, different and aggressive. It feels like a bad decision though. What bikes were you on before the tuono?
View Quote
EX500, VFR800, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, RC51, 1098. The super sports get tiring to ride longer distances, especially as you get older. Great for track sessions or sub 100 mile rides. I also find with the extra wind protection, its easy to twist the throttle and look down and see 130+ mph before you really notice.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:31:15 PM EDT
[#19]
What about similar naked bikes? Tuono or Duke/Super Duke?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:50:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: flyhack72] [#20]
The SS has panniers available if you wanted those for your bike. It has a better low end for around town but the riding position is aggressive for urban riding.

The SF would be fun for urban riding because it's more relaxed position.  It's a quick bike and has a very interesting design.  This would be more like a Monster position.

Although the Pani is a beautiful bike, the riding position is more aggressive. Unless you are traveling at speed and riding twisties, then it won't be as enjoyable.

I have two Ducs.  The Multi is so comfortable, practical, and easy to ride--but ugly as sin.  

My Paul Smart is a torture rack but absolutely gorgeous and fun to track.

I ride the Multi far more often.

It all depends on what you want to ride and how you want to ride.  Either way, you're gonna have a nice bike.  New bike day is best day!
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 5:53:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KnuckleSandwich] [#21]
Originally Posted By WTFShane:
What about similar naked bikes? Tuono or Duke/Super Duke?
View Quote

I know the ktms get a lot of love, everyone seems to rave about them. Quite frankly I think they're the ugliest street bikes on the market. They all look like orange Michael Bay transformers. I'm sure they're great bikes though, and tons of people seem to like their styling.

The Aprilias are nice looking bikes, but parallel twins bore me. And I don't think an Rsv4 is a great street bike for me.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 5:58:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By flyhack72:

Although the Pani is a beautiful bike, the riding position is more aggressive. Unless you are traveling at speed and riding twisties, then it won't be as enjoyable.

I have two Ducs.  The Multi is so comfortable, practical, and easy to ride--but ugly as sin.  

View Quote

The newer multistradas are quite nice looking, I think. The older ones from the oughts though. Oof. I think they were widely known as the multistroodle and they earned it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 7:47:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Thread is relevent to me. I've had a superhawk for like 15 years. Haven't ridden it in like 7 years. Took it apart to redo some stuff and project stalled. Recently got the itch again. Been looking on marketplace for something. There are some streetfighters within about a 3 hour drive from me. Also found a B King.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 10:07:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Random_Sample] [#24]
Another vote for the Streetfighter from me.  

I just picked up a new Streetfighter V4S.  What a machine.  The performance of its Superbike siblings with better ergonomics.

After riding bikes with clip-ons exclusively for almost 3 decades, the Streetfighter is nice.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 10:28:41 AM EDT
[#25]

I know the ktms get a lot of love, everyone seems to rave about them. Quite frankly I think they're the ugliest street bikes on the market. They all look like orange Michael Bay transformers. I'm sure they're great bikes though, and tons of people seem to like their styling.

The Aprilias are nice looking bikes, but parallel twins bore me. And I don't think an Rsv4 is a great street bike for me.
View Quote

I own the 2022 890 Duke (non R) . Definitely not the prettiest bike out there, but boring is the last thing I’d call it.  ~115 HP and 400#… it’s a hoot.

If the p twin isn’t a total dealbreaker check out the upcoming svartpilen 801. Built around the 790 duke but it actually looks good.  It gets a 10hp bump from the 790 as well.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 3:29:16 PM EDT
[#26]

The newer multistradas are quite nice looking, I think. The older ones from the oughts though. Oof. I think they were widely known as the multistroodle and they earned it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By flyhack72:

Yep.  Not pretty to look at but they really are/were great to ride.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:56:08 PM EDT
[#27]

I hear you, but really the monsters are quite sensible. Great ergos, light, easy to work on. I'm not terribly concerned about the maintenance. The first service I'll let them do for the warranty. I've done all the desmo services, changed out the clutch pack, rebuilt the fuel pump on my 06. I quite enjoyed it actually.

I'm mostly concerned about the Panigale just ending up being too uncomfortable in the long run. I've never ridden a sport bike and have no idea how much my body is going to hate it. I'm only going on what I hear from others, "they're no fun unless you're on the track," "you're not going to ride it," "your back is going to hate you," etc etc. But maybe they're pussies, or like to go on all day rides. Neither apply to me.
View Quote

Being 46 yo, your body ain't gonna like the Panagale ergos.

I would stick with something more comfortable.

I have a Ducati 998 L twin in my garage.  I call it my Italian Mistress.  She is red hot.  but after about half an hour ride.  That's enough for me.

Went to BMW boxers, the engine is smooth and everything, but kinda boring.

So Now I have Vstrom in my garage, which I ride the most out of the multiple BMWs and the Ducati.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:44:49 PM EDT
[#28]
ive had 2 ducati superbikes.  1098s and 1199s.

i think if i were going to buy a new superbike it would be the v4s over the v2.

i loved both of mine but neither were friendly street bikes, they just want to gooooooo.  

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:06:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Twisted10:
ive had 2 ducati superbikes.  1098s and 1199s.

i think if i were going to buy a new superbike it would be the v4s over the v2.

i loved both of mine but neither were friendly street bikes, they just want to gooooooo.  

View Quote

I sat on a v4 at the dealer, it was significantly wider than the V2 SF (and presumably the V2 Pani). Trying to hang on to that on the street for extended rides would be challenging IMO.
Link Posted: Yesterday 5:29:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Motorcycles are fun, so get whatever makes you smile the most.

Out of that group, I would get the SF (I have a V2 Tuono).  I have no use for clipons and full fairings on the street, those stay at the track.

Do you do track days?  If not, give it a try.  Track is by far my favorite type of riding.  Be careful though, you might just get into racing.
Link Posted: Today 6:55:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By bnc:
Motorcycles are fun, so get whatever makes you smile the most.

Out of that group, I would get the SF (I have a V2 Tuono).  I have no use for clipons and full fairings on the street, those stay at the track.

Do you do track days?  If not, give it a try.  Track is by far my favorite type of riding.  Be careful though, you might just get into racing.
View Quote

Yeah, I managed to sit on the two V2 offerings at the dealership. The SF is definitely more comfortable. I will say the V2 Pani wasn't nearly as awkward as the v4. But sitting on one for 5 minutes is a far cry from a 2 hour ride.

The problem right now seems to be used SFV2 availability. Tons of v4 s out there, but only one V2 within 250 miles. More than a few PaniV2s on the used market.

I have avoided the track mostly due to time constraints. It is something I've always thought about doing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top