Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2019 9:32:51 PM EDT
I'm a new pipe smoker who just picked up a couple cobs and about 6 different tobaccos to try out and see what I like. My first batch of tobaccos is half and half, sir Walter Raleigh, lane 1-q, bca, Peter stokkebye luxury navy flake, and scotty's University professor. My first smoke was lane 1-q, my second was half and half, and for my third I mixed the luxury navy flake with the sir Walter Raleigh.

I noticed that the sir Walter Raleigh is significantly drier than most of the other tobaccos (except maybe the navy flake I mixed it with), is this normal or did I get an old/dried out pouch? It tasted and burned fine, but I was just surprised at how different it was from even the other over the counter half and half. Second question, can I mix dry and more moist tobaccos or will that screw up the burn?

Thanks, and also if you have any recommendations on what else I should try, I'd appreciate suggestions.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Brings back memories. I used to smoke Half and Half many, many years ago

I didn't even know they were still around.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 6:08:57 AM EDT
[#2]
SWR was probably just dried out. If you have a Boveta pack just toss it in. Otherwise you can moisten a papertowel and drape over.

Lane 1Q is also Cpt Black Royal Lane owns Cpt. Black. It is cheaper to buy in bulk 1Q but i you are out and about... it is sold everywhere.

If you like cobs, try a cheap brier pipe even a Dr. Grabow is leaps and bounds better than a cob IMHO.

I buy Navy Flake and The Luxury roll by the Lb and put it up into mason jars, although I haven't bought any in quite a while.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 10:47:29 AM EDT
[#3]
This is my first post on ar15.com so here goes...

I've been a pipe smoker for about 20 years.  I started out with a cob pipe and quickly moved up to a cheap briar pipe.  I agree with fas2c about getting a briar pipe.  You'll be glad you did.  I now have a collection of briar pipes ranging from cheap to OMG expensive and I cherish every one.

All pipe tobacco can dry out.  It use to happen to me before I started storing all my pipe tobacco in Ball Canning Jars.  Before that, I'd have to lay the tobacco out on a flat surface and drape a slightly damp paper towel over it, which works like a charm.

As far as suggestions on tobaccos to try, I'd suggest going to the Milan Tobacconists website and searching for their house blends.  They are located in Roanoke, VA and have over 50 hand blended pipe tobaccos to choose from.  My personal favorite is Colonial Pastime.  I like it so much that I buy it by the pound several times a year.  I'm lucky that I live close to them and have purchased all of my pipes and tobacco from them over the years.  They are very nice to deal with and are simply great down to earth people.  The shop has been in Roanoke since 1912 and is the finest Pipe and Cigar store I have ever been in.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 8:43:37 AM EDT
[#4]
If you’re ever in Biloxi, MS, there is a neat little shop on Edgewater Mall called The Epitome, and they carry an IQ 140 blend that is quite nice. My ex sends me a bag here overseas from time to time, and it smokes very nicely in my Vinland Pipes number 056.

Vinland Pipes is the product of our very own
DK-Prof, and his pipes are very, very nice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top